MMA News and Tidbits

Jose Aldo Out of UFC 125

I was going to put the link or quote but I'm lazy and it's pretty much everywhere now. It's being reported as a compacted vertebrae which isn't the most serious injury if taken care of but incredibly difficult to work through. They're saying he is going to be out about three months and should make his debut in March which would align with the Abu Dhabi card. That March card is expected to hold the much anticipated showdown between Shogun and Evans for the LHW title.

I think that Aldo against anyone would balance out that main event perfectly. The LHW showdown is sure to be fireworks and Aldo epitomizes and exciting fight. The question remains though on who his opponent shall be since Grispi will still be competing at 125 against Dustin Poirier. Poirier has a good record with only one lost by decision from August. I suppose this could serve as a warm up fight for Grispi since some questioned his place in a title fight with Featherweight kingpin Aldo.

I've been checking out some threads around the internet, and it appears that Wanderlei Silva wrote on his Facebook that he was fighting Chael Sonnen. It was taken down less than an hour later. Either there was a misunderstanding, or the UFC told him to take it down. I'm assuming the latter took place.

This is going to be a great fight. Chael's talked shit about Wanderlei, saying he "used to be a fighter". Wanderlei and Sonnen were actually in a car together once, and this was caught on film, where Wanderlei basically told Chael that if he kept speaking badly of Brazil, he was going to ensure Chael lost his teeth.

Honestly, I don't see Wanderlei winning the fight if it indeed takes place. He'd be on over a year layoff, and he's struggled against fighters with a wrestling base in the past. Chael is the best wrestler in the division, and he's extremely good at gameplanning. He's also going to be motivated to prove that he deserves his title shot against Anderson. His submission defense, for the most part, has improved. He was locked in some real tight Guillotines against Marquardt, and Anderson had Chael in trouble a couple of times with Kimuras before finally landing the Triangle.

I see this fight being three rounds of Sonnen punching a hole in Wandy's face with brutal ground and pound. I love Wanderlei... he's just going to get grounded and pounded to death in this fight.

I do not like that fight AT ALL.

It's like the UFC wants Chael to be this heel by matching him up against one of the most beloved fighters in the sport, and while it might be smart "business" to some people, I don't buy that. Chael will talk the people into the seats in ANY fight he has; it doesn't have to be against a "good guy."

Seriously, there are two fights everyone wants to see in the Middleweight Division right now: Sonnen vs. Bisping, and Leben vs. Wandy. I know that's what I personally want to see, and I'm pretty confident that the general consensus agrees with me.

Wandy/Leben would be a stand-up war for the ages, and Sonnen vs. Bisping is the ultimate American vs. the ultimate Brit. But Dana, I feel, is protecting Bisping and throwing Wandy to the wolves since he knows Wandy will be a draw no matter what, and to me that's fucking bullshit.

I really think they need to put Chael into the TUF with Bisping. Bisping is one of the most hated fighters in the UFC, at least when it comes to America, and during and after his fight with Silva the world really seemingly fell in love with Sonnen. You gotta keep pushing that. Push it as the underdog who went 12 rounds with the champ and then got screwed afterwords. Push him as the American dream coming back to reclaim the Middlewight division from the evil Brazilian. The only people who like Silva at this point are the fairweather fans who just hop on him because Joe Rogan has his nuts permanently lodged in his mouth. You'd think that'd amount to a lot but no one wants to watch him. Those fair weather fans don't buy the PPV's, they just talk like they know a little something. Or you have the fans who're in love with how he's so technical with his fights that they can't help but admire him, and they'd buy any card no matter what.

Personally, I hate him, and I really thing a guy like Chael is the perfect Anti-thesis to him. I think you put him up against Bisping to reprove himself to the world and you unleash him on Silva again.

An injured Kenny Florian has been forced to withdraw from his scheduled headliner with fellow lightweight contender Evan Dunham at UFC Fight Night 23: UFC Fight for the Troops 2 on Jan. 22 at Fort Hood, Texas, MMAjunkie reports.

Florian’s injury is either minor or occurred today, as “Ken Flo” Tweeted this morning that he planned to spar and train today in Montreal.

Both fighters were looking to bounce back from recent losses, as Florian (14-5) fell to upcoming title challenger Gray Maynard in August and Dunham (11-1) dropped a controversial decision to former champ Sean Sherk in September.

It is not yet known whether the matchup will be rescheduled, if Dunham will remain on the card, or if another fight will headline the Spike-televised fundraiser.

Honestly, I think this is the best thing that could have happened to Kenny. He's still one of the best in the division. The problem is that he struggles, big time, against wrestlers, and Dunham has quite the wrestling pedigree. If this fight did go down, I think it would have been basically a replay of the Maynard/Florian fight, with him getting taken down with ease. A loss to Dunham would have cemented him being at gatekeeper status.

If I'm the UFC, I book Sean Sherk for this card in the main event and do Sherk vs. Dunham II. The general consensus is that Dunham got screwed in their fight back in September. Why not give him a chance to avenge the loss?
____________________________________________________________________________________

Well that's what they should have done... literally two seconds after I made that post, I found this:

Looks like the UFC is going to have to do an about face and give the U.S. servicemen (and women) a new main event after Kenny Florian has been forced to withdraw from his fight against Evan Dunham at the upcoming UFC Fight Night 23 event at Fort Hood on Jan. 22 in Kileen, TX.

Enter Melvin Guillard.

"The Young Assassin" has been pulled from his lightweight tilt against Yves Edwards to replace "KenFlo" in the "Fight for the Troops 2" main event, according to a report from Heavy.com.

Dunham NEEDS to win this fight now. Melvin Guillard is pretty average as a whole, and human garbage, whereas Dunham is supposed to be a future champion.

I think that Florian/Dunham not happening might be best for both parties involved actually. It would make two losses in a row for both fighters and if both men want to stay afloat near the top of the division that would be detrimental. Add tot he fact that both man interestingly enough provide bad stylistic match ups for one another. Florian has showed he has trouble with good wrestlers and even though Dunham's isn't on par with Maynard's it could still stifle Ken-Flo enough to mute his offense. Florian though could prove to be too experienced and use his underrated muay thai as a neutralizer and keep Evan standing. A rematch with Sherk should be on the table for Florian.

As far as Dunham/Guillard goes, this should be a relative easy task for Evan. The Young Assassin is a fun fighter to watch for the most part but tends to be his own worst enemy especially with wrestlers. Dunham takes this clear decision by a textbook takedown clinic.

Very happy to here about this.

Whatever respect Melvin Guillard had from me before UFC 119, he lost every single bit of it after I saw that abomination of a fight he had against Jeremy Stephens. I mean, no matter what you had to say about Guillard before that fight, you had to admit that he was a very exciting fighter to watch. However, you can't even say that anymore. He got Greg Jackson'd, basically, which means he got his balls removed.

Anyways, Dunham should have his way with Guillard. Guillard won't be able to stop Dunham from taking him down, and he'll have no answer for Dunham's ground game once the fight goes there. Dunham will tap Guillard out in the 2nd Round or before, mark my words.

As far as Florian... really don't care for the guy, but it's going to be interesting to see who the UFC matches him up with next. The options seem to be really limited, though personally... I want to see Florian vs. Lauzon 2. I think we'd see a much different outcome this time around. Or at least, I would hope so.

Hope this is the right place for this because I can't contain my excitement:

UFC president Dana White says UFC 131 will take place April 30 at the Rogers Centre in Toronto.

White says he expects the mixed martial arts show to be "massive."

Ontario announced in August that it would allow mixed martial arts, starting in 2011.

That's a few weeks before my birthday so I'm planning on treating myself to tickets for this. The Rogers Centre (formerly the SkyDome) is a great venue and if the card is stacked, I'm sure there will be big numbers for attendance.

I'm hoping (and expecting) that the card will be nothing short of epic for this. I know there's lots of rumours regarding what match-ups they're targeting for this and most of the stuff that's floating around sounds pretty sick to me.

I'm rather happy that Ken-Flo/Dunham is off. I wasn't really to thrilled when the fight between the two was first announced. As already said, Kenny struggles with the wrestlers, so it is definitely good for him that this fight is off. Now that Dunham gets to face Guillard is a much better opponent for him to bounce back from the very close loss to Sherk.

Cody McKenzie is stepping in to face Guillard's original opponent Yves Edwards. This will definitely be Cody's toughest opponent yet. We all know that Cody isn't that good on his feet and looks to end his fight's with the McKenzotine, so if he can't lock it on, I'd say Edwards KO's him or pounds him to a decision.

That's pretty awesome, Cookie. I won't be surprised that if GSP makes quick work of Koscheck Saturday, that he'll be ready to go again by the time that event rolls around (and most likely in a fight against Jake Shields).

I also wouldn't be surprised if that's the card Brock Lesnar ends up returning on as well.

Cody McKenzie is stepping in to face Guillard's original opponent Yves Edwards. This will definitely be Cody's toughest opponent yet. We all know that Cody isn't that good on his feet and looks to end his fight's with the McKenzotine, so if he can't lock it on, I'd say Edwards KO's him or pounds him to a decision.

Nah, McKenzie should make quick work of him. I like Yves Edwards, but he's careless and his Jiu-Jitsu is for shit. As long as McKenzie isn't dumb enough to strike with him, then he'll undoubtedly lock in that signature Guillotine Choke sometime in the 1st or 2nd Round.

So, Chael Sonnen has begun the trash talk with Wanderlei Silva on Twitter. This should just add fuel to the fire that a fight between Wand and Chael may actually come to fruition. Here is what Sonnen has been saying and the link to his Twitter.

http://twitter.com/#!/sonnench

Wand, you might as well fill out your own toe tag. Where is says "Cause of death," just write, "I pissed off a Gangster."

All broken pieces of Wand will be half off on Greenlightdaily.com. Where ya at little guy, worried that I'll understand you this time?

Take your comebacks, write them down on a sheet of paper. Roll it up tight, soak it in water, freeze it overnight, then jam it up your ass.

My favourite part about that Twitter exchange is Wanderlei's response, which is quite possibly the best tweet ever:

Sonnan you start tolk about me, becarful or you go need call to your dentista

Word on the street is that this exchange is leading up to what may be the next TUF season with both of them as coaches. I read about it on Bloody Elbow the other day but it's purely speculation and nothing has been confirmed yet, obviously.

This is exactly why I didn't want a Chael/Wand match-up.

I just cannot enjoy Chael's trolling when it's towards someone I admire as much as anyone else throughout the history of the sport. This would be much more enjoyable if these tweets were for someone like Michael Bisping, but the UFC just has to take the fun out of everything.

And what sucks also is that I know Wandy is going to lose. Wand couldn't stop fucking Ricardo Arona's takedowns, and that was in a ring... how in the World is he going to stop that machine Sonnen from repeatedly taking him down in the octagon? It won't happen, and Wand hasn't shown himself skilled enough on the ground to pull a triangle out of his ass like Anderson and Maia did against Sonnen.

A heavyweight bout between former champ Frank Mir (14-5 MMA, 12-5 UFC) and "The Ultimate Fighter 10" runner-up Brendan Schaub (7-1 MMA, 3-1 UFC) is expected to take place in early 2011.

Sources close to the event told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) verbal agreements are in place for the fight.

The bout could take place at UFC on Versus 3 on March 3 or UFC 129 on March 19, though neither show has been officially announced.

Schaub vs. Mir likely will be a featured main-card fight on whatever card it ends up being a part of.

Mir is coming off an impressive third-round knockout of Mirko "Cro Cop" Filipovic in the headliner of September's UFC 119 event. In the four fights prior, he alternated between wins and losses. A TKO victory over Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira (for the interim belt) was followed by a TKO loss to Brock Lesnar (a title-unification bout). He responded with a submission win over Cheick Kongo but then suffered a quick KO loss to Shane Carwin.

Since a loss to Roy Nelson at The TUF 10 Finale, Schaub has posted three consecutive wins in the octagon. First came TKO wins over Chase Gormley and Chris Tuchscherer, and in October at UFC 121, he scored a dominating unanimous-decision win over Gabriel Gonzaga. A win over Mir could put him right at the top of the title picture in the heavyweight division.

Well looks like Schaub is getting what he wants, as he has said he wanted to fight Mir next. If Mir tries to fight like he did against Cro Cop, Schaub well definitely win this fight. Also, if Mir tries to stand and trade blows with Schaub there is a very good chance that he will lose at that as well. We've seen that Schaub has power in those punches in TUF and the few scrubs that he has fought since then. Mir as he know is one of the best Heavyweights when it comes to his ground game and a decent striker. Mir will probably try and trade blows with him, because we know Mir is bullheaded like that, but I think he will eventually take it to the ground and take a arm or a leg and put it on his mantle as he says he likes to do.

That's a great fight for Mir. He's better than Schaub at pretty much every aspect of MMA, so he should have no problem with him. Then again, all it will take for Mir to crumble is a simple touch on the jaw, so maybe Schaub does stand a chance after all. Regardless, that should be a fun fight.

Also, it hasn't been posted here yet, but Kid Yamamoto and Michihiro Omigawa have both signed to the UFC's Featherweight Division.

Kid was considered for a couple of years as the best Featherweight in the World, before dropping two straight in 2009. Nevertheless, he's still a fighter to keep your eye on.

And Omigawa is one of the most exciting, unique, and gifted fighters in MMA today, and is 8-1 in his last 9 fights. I would absolutely LOVE to see him vs. Jose Aldo. Hopefully after Omigawa kicks ass in his first fight, he gets a title shot right away. :D

Bellator Fighting Championships finally has its new home on cable.

The fight promotion has struck a three-year partnership with MTV2 which will see the cable network broadcast two 12-week tournaments per year, as well as “a collection of special feature events,” beginning in 2011. Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney and MTV2 Senior Vice President of Programming and Production Eric Conte announced the partnership today via press release.

“MMA is at the top of our audience’s wish list, and partnering with Bellator to bring live events and specials to MTV2 made complete sense since our viewers are so hungry to see more MMA on-air,” Conte said in a statement.

Bellator’s primary broadcast partner for its second and third seasons was Fox Sports Net. Those broadcasts were met with some dissatisfaction, however, as many viewers were forced to watch the fights on delay due to various other network obligations. Rebney announced earlier this year that Bellator would be moving forward in 2011 with a new broadcast partner, but the promotion’s chairman would not disclose the new network’s identity.

Earlier this month, MMAJunkie.com reported that Bellator was close to striking a new deal with Fox Entertainment Group, and that the upcoming fourth season would air live on FX.

The Chicago-based fight promotion, currently on hiatus from broadcast and competition, will be entering its fourth season in 2011. Bellator’s format is unique among larger promotions, as with each 12-week season, the organization holds tournaments in various weight classes to crown divisional champions and number-one contenders.

Big move for Bellator and a move in the right direction if you ask me. They need to be on a channel that will get them more attention, and MTV2 will do that. This will all boil down to if MTV2 decides to plug the fact that Bellator is there now, which I think they will. MTV is on an MMA kick right now, seeing as Bully Beatdown is a success and now they have an actual MMA promotion to showcase as well. Glad to see Bellator on a more public channel and cannot wait for the new season to start.

According to the Rumors section at MMAWeekly the highly anticipated heavyweight showdown between new champion Cain Velasquez and Junior Dos Santos will take place in April at 129 for the huge Toronto card. Not only is this fight a huge clash to put on a very important card, it's rumored to be headlined by GSP vs Shields. Now THAT is a huge card. With a lot of the middle card fan favorites being booked before this card they really needed to book a huge main and co main for the first Toronto event. GSP was an obvious choice to headline but putting a heavyweight title fight as the co main is a god send. I do believe that this is going to be first time that a heavyweight title fight didn't headline since the horrid Sylvia/Monson fight at UFC 65.

Two fights worth mentioning have been announced over the past few days. The first is Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza defending his Strikeforce Middleweight title aganist Robbie Lawler at Strikeforce 30 near the end of January. Second fight is Tito Ortiz fighting Lil Nog at UFC Fight Night 24 in the main event.

Starting with Jacare and Lawler. If it stays standing Lawler has a very good chance at winning, Jacare has won most of his fights by subbing people, but we seen him mix it up and stand and trade also, like in his last fight with Kennedy. I think after watching Lawler's last fight Jacare would be smart to stick to what he is truly good at, and take it to the ground where most of Lawler's losses come from.

Ortiz vs. Nogueira is a fight I'm not that interested in. I'm hoping it sets up the retiring match for both Tito and Liddell after this fight. Tito just isn't the same anymore. That vicious GnP seems to be long gone from Tito. He is just becoming the Jens Pulver of the Light Heavyweights. I would like to be surprised and see Ortiz pull off the upset and get a win, but I just don't see it happening.

Ortiz vs. Lil' Nog is going to be interesting. It'll be a stand-up battle, that's for sure. And since Nog hasn't shown himself to be a knockout artist, Ortiz stands a chance, since he's been working hard to improve his boxing. Though I give the edge to Lil' Nog, I think the fight will be a lot closer than many people expect it to be. It's make or break for Tito, and I think we'll see the best Tito Ortiz we've seen in quite sometime.

And Jacare vs. Robbie Lawler... first of all, this says to me that Coker is having hopes that Mayhem vs. Diaz will indeed go down, because I thought for sure Mayhem/Jacare 3 was up next for Jacare, since Diaz and Mayhem couldn't come to an agreement.

Anyways, this fight all depends on Jacare. If he's stupid enough to stand and trade with Lawler, then he's getting knocked the fuck out. However, if Jacare goes in with the mind-set to put non-stop pressure on Lawler to get him down and tap his ass out, then Jacare will do exactly that. Lawler has great takedown defense, but his Jiu-Jitsu is nowhere near the level of Jacare's, and all it should take is for Jacare to pull guard and work from there for him to control Lawler and eventually submit him.

It should also be noted that Nick Diaz vs. Evangelista "Man Cyborg" Santos are headlining the January 29 Strikeforce card. A fight with Mayhem may be wanted but it won't be coming anytime soon since Diaz is wrapped up with Cyborg at least through January. Basically all of Mayhem's top competitors are busy with the exception of a third fight with Tim Kennedy, but I don't think that will go down.

It should also be noted that Nick Diaz vs. Evangelista "Man Cyborg" Santos are headlining the January 29 Strikeforce card. A fight with Mayhem may be wanted but it won't be coming anytime soon since Diaz is wrapped up with Cyborg at least through January. Basically all of Mayhem's top competitors are busy with the exception of a third fight with Tim Kennedy, but I don't think that will go down.

Well, shit.

Absolutely terrible match-making by Strikeforce here. Cyborg does not deserve this fight. Sure, he looked great against Marius Zaromskis, but that is literally the only decent fighter he has ever defeated. Hell, the guy's overall record is 18-13... 3-4 in his last 7 fights. How the fuck is that deserving of a title shot?

Diaz is in his prime and should be fighting elite fighters (which is what he wants). Coker and SF are really pushing the guy away by matching him up against these cans. I guarantee as soon as his contract is up, Diaz will be heading straight to the UFC, no matter how much money Strikeforce throws at him, and this kind of crap is exactly why.

What a waste.

I agree totally. I feel like Strikeforce might be trying to protect him as their champion, but the problem is doesn't need nor want their protection. By matching him up with Cyborg for the title it doesn't do anything to further Diaz's own career and really could only do more harm then good. At this point there are only two fights I want and can see Diaz having in Strikeforce that are of any importance. A fight with Paul Daley, which will happen, and a fight with Mayhem. You are completely right in the fact that when his contract expires he needs to go to the UFC where he can really stake his claim to being one of the top fighters in the world, something I completely believe he is.

Well according to Todd Duffes facebook he is being rumored at Overeems next opponent. Take it for what it's worth but that is what was being said on therre. If true I don't even need to explain why this is the most stipid move in mma history. Hoppefully it's wrong and a stupid facebook rumor which is what i'm leaning torwards.

Overeem... another guy in his prime, arguably the best in his division, and yet is getting fed nothing but cans.

I mean, Todd Duffee should be able to put down quite a few Heavyweights outside the UFC, but he's absolutely nowhere near Overeem's level. Overeem is pound for pound the best striker in MMA, and the guy is fucking HUGE to go with that ability. There is only one Heavyweight in all of MMA I would pick against Overeem right now, and that's of course the greatest of all time, Fedor Emelianenko. However, it's a shame to see Overeem continue to waste what is the prime of his career fighting guys who shouldn't be in the same fucking arena as him, let alone octagon.

This is the kind of absolute bullshit that makes SF such an absolute fucking joke. Instead of having their champion fight on one of their cards they give him to K-1 so he can fight in the grand prix, and on one of their shows. Grow a fucking sack Coker he is YOUR organizations champion. Make him fucking act like ine and fight to defend his belt. Instead fucking pussy little Coker is letting everyone walk all over him and his champion is fighting in japan against Todd fucking Duffee. Another name being tossed around is Bobby Lashley. The entire organization of Strikeforce is an absolute joke, and it's fucking sad. They can't keep their dogs on their leashes, and they make complete and utter mismatches. Not to mention their fantastic idea of announcing the fights for a card a week before the card airs. The organization is terrible in every concivable way save some of their fighters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back