Miscellaneous WWE News Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
- The MSG Network is looking to bring back the MSG Classics wrestling show this summer.

- WWE programming was listed in a Media Week article based on a readers poll on the most objectionable television programming. It was the only sport to make the list, which also included Jerry Springer, Cops, Nip/Tuck, America’s Most Wanted, and Family Guy.

- The rejected Bud Light Super Bowl commercial featuring Hulk Hogan will begin airing on TV in a few weeks.

- In the new issue of WWE Magazine, Batista says he would like to face The Undertaker in a Hell In a Cell match at WrestleMania.

Source: WrestlingObserver

Mexican professional wrestler Mistico is scheduled for a tryout match with WWE. According to reports the Mexican superstar will be showing up at next week

The CW Network issued the following press release:

"SMACKDOWN" POWERS TO THE CW'S HIGHEST-RATED FRIDAY IN TARGET MEN DEMOS

"SmackDown" Wins Friday in Men 18-34 and Men 18-49

February 20, 2007 (Burbank, California) - "Friday Night SmackDown" delivered its highest-rated performance of the season, giving The CW its best Friday to date in the target demos of men 18-34 (2.4/9) and men 18-49 (2.3/9), according to Live Plus Same Day Nielsen ratings for Friday, Feb. 16. "Smackdown" matched last week's season highs among adults 18-34 (1.9/7).

"SmackDown" lifted The CW to first place on Friday (8:00-10:00 p.m.) among adults 18-34 (tie), men 18-34 and men 18-49.

In the newest issue of WWE magazine, Batista states that he would love to fight The Undertaker at wrestlemania in a hell in a cell.

For the week of 2/12 to 2/18, "The Marine" slipped to #3 in national DVD rentals, according to Box Office Mojo. John

Jim Ross has a new blog up at JRsBarBQ.com where he talks about Eric Bischoff's book, CM Punk and more.

Forbes.com is now the latest media outlet covering the Donald Trump/Vince McMahon match at WrestleMania 23 on April 1. I think it is safe to say that WWE is getting exactly what it wanted with this storyline, especially for the biggest show of the year.

Mike Johnson is reporting that the planned 3/10 Saturday Night's Main Event on NBC has been canceled. The special was slated to be taped during the 3/5 Raw tapings in Phoenix, AZ.

Clarion Ledger has an interview with Candice Michelle at clarionledger.com.

The general consensus within WWE is that the company doesn't need Hulk Hogan to draw a huge PPV buy rate for Wrestlemania.

The planned Hogan vs. The Big Show match wasn't booked when Paul Wight decided not to re-sign with the company.

Hogan still has heat with WWE for the Bubba Love Sponge appearance when his conversation regarding the hall of fame was put on the air. The secretary, Anna Russo-Gordon, feared she would be fired, but John Laurinaitis took the brunt of Vince McMahon's anger. Laurinaitis was supposed to call Hogan himself, but asked his secretary to do it.

The Bubba the Love Sponge incident wasn't the only factor in Hulk Hogan being dropped from Wrestlemania. Of course, the biggest factor was money. Apparently Hogan thought his popularity had increased due to Hogan Know's Best.

World Wrestling Entertainment will be holding its first ever Monday Night RAW and Smackdown! television tapings in Milan, Italy at their upcoming European tour. WWE will hold a whooping twelve shows in Italy starting April 14th till April 20th. The brands will hold two separate shows every day with RAW being taped on April 16th and Smackdown! on the 17th. WWE will also visit Germany, Austria, Wales, France and England in April, where two more television tapings will be held in London. The European tour will end on April 24th with 22 live events in 11 days. According to Erik Roth, the European tour dates for October which will start on the 13th till the 20th. (Thanks to Colin Vassallo)

Forbes.com covered the Vince McMahon/Donald Trump angle today.

ECW.com has an interview up with CM Punk where he talks about getting to wrestle at WrestleMania 23.

TNT won the primetime cable ratings battle this week, largely thanks to the NBA All-Star Game on TNT and RAW being moved to Thursday and doing a lower rating. TNT averaged 2.71 million viewers in primetime whle USA Network averaged 2.57 million viewers.

WWE will be releasing a special "Hardcore Edition" of Mick Foley's Greatest Hits and Misses DVD. The new edition will feature an extra DVD. The extra DVD will feature the following:

* Foley vs. Randy Orton from Backlash 2004
* Foley vs. Edge from WrestleMania 22
* Foley & Edge vs. Terry Funk & Tommy Dreamer from ECW One Night Stand II
* Foley vs. Ric Flair from Summerslam 2006

As noted earlier, the scheduled WWE Saturday Night's Main Event special that would have been taped on 3.05.07 in Phoenix, Arizona for a 3.10.07 NBC broadcast has been canceled. WWE will now tape RAW on 3.05 in Phoenix. According to industry sources, NBC considered moving the special from primetime to a late night Saturday timeslot due to low ratings for last year's primetime SNME specials, but then backed out due to fear that they would lose ad revenue generated by Saturday Night Live.

Another reason for the cancellation is that NBC requested WWE postpone the SNME special until this June due to the potential Writer's Guild strike looming in Hollywood. Networks are afraid that a strike will happen and they are attempting to lock in programming that wouldn't require members of the Guild. Vince McMahon wasn't happy about this as he viewed SNME as a vital part of the WrestleMania 23 build; but has agreed to moving the special to June.

Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson has a surprise cameo appearance in the new "Reno 911: Miami" film that hits theatres tomorrow.

The Baltimore Sun has an interview up with former WWE Diva Amy "Lita" Dumas where she talks about her departure from WWE. Dumas talks about how hard it was for her real-life breakup with Matt Hardy to be used as a form of entertainment on TV: "That whole thing was just such a hard time for me. When you go through personal problems, it's hard enough as it is, but then to have every aspect of your life out there and to feel like everybody knows your business when they really only know such a small percent and they're passing judgment ... there were definitely days when I didn't feel like getting on the plane to go to work."

Jim Ross has another new blog entry up. Highlights are below.

On the ECW brand: I do not oool at ECW as a joke. You certainly can if you choose to, but I don't. I think the brand will make it just fine, but I do think it is a work in progress and will take some time. I hope that all the talent on ECW dedicate themselves to getting this done via their in-ring efforts even though the new ECW will never be what the original version was. If ardent ECW fans can't handle that, I politely suggest you not watch it if it upsets you so much. It's only a TV show.

On Randy Savage: I hate to "crush you" but I have heard zilch on Randy Savage getting inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame in 2007, but who knows? Stranger things have happened. Plus, there is always next year and the class in 2009 will be attached to the 25th Anniversary of Wrestlemania, which might be a great place for Savage to enter the Hall.

On Jeff Hardy: Jeff Hardy is NOT in any doghouse, but if it makes you feel better to think that he is, then so be it. Jeff is one of the most popular talents on Raw and his return to the ring has been a breathe of fresh air. Just because a wrestler loses a match, no matter the execution of the match, does not necessarily mean some one is in the dog house. I remember over the past several weeks that Melina was a resident of the proverbial "doghouse" and now she's the Women's Champion.

On Mick Foley: Will Mick Foley be at Wrestlemania? Beats me, but I hope so. Mick's new book, "The Hardcore Diaries" will be out soon and I conducted a series of interviews with Mick last week about his new literary work that will be featured on WWE.com.

On TNA: Yes I watch TNA from time to time but I would be lying if I said I watched it weekly. After traveling to do Raw, watching it back on Tuesday afternoon, watching ECW on Tuesday night, and Smackdown on Friday night or Saturday morning, Mrs. J.R. has generally tapped on the TV ‘rasslin. TNA not unlike other wrestling shows, has a roster of guys who want to be stars but they seem to sometimes cram too much into their one hour time slot. That's simply my opinion for what that is worth.

On Rey Mysterio: I don't see Rey Mysterio leaving the WWE for any organization. Rey is a huge part of the WWE team and has made more money in the WWE, I would suggest, than he's made anywhere else. I am proud that I hired Rey, which was really a no brainer.

Hulk Hogan appeared on the Bubba the Love Sponge Show today. Highlights are below.

- He told the listeners to vote for Brooke Hogan's new video on VH1.

- He said there is "no way" he will appear at WrestleMania 23. He said that Vince told him that WWE has changed and they no longer have one "it" guy but a bunch of guys on the top and that Hulk can no longer take the bulk of the money on shows he works and that is one of the major issues between the two. Hogan said that he deserves the biggest payday on shows he works while Vince apparently doesn't agree with that anymore.

- He brought up how loud a pop he got at Summerslam 2006 when he wrestled Randy Orton, and that nobody could generate that type of pop except "one other guy." He said he deserves to be paid accordingly.

- He said that Vince McMahon has been trying to water down the Hulk Hogan character so he doesn't have to pay him as much in the future.

- He said that his appearances on WWE TV disrupt Vince McMahon's attempts to build brands.

- He said that he may have "other things up his sleeve" when asked about TNA, hinting that he could start his own wrestling company, specifically naming Big Show, Kevin Nash, and Scott Hall as people who could be involved.

- He said he never signed the 20 year contract WWE offered him, but that Steve Austin has signed a lifetime contract.

- He said he wish he could be at WrestleMania 23 but cannot accept less money than he deserves.

- Bubba mentioned how Howard Stern is in Miami on vacation and that Hogan should visit him. Hogan said that he had never had an interview like the one he had on Stern and that Linda was really upset with him afterwards. But he added that he liked Stern and would call him.

Some cable systems are listing Bobby Lashley vs. Hardcore Holly in a Steel Cage match as the main event for ECW On Sci-Fi next week, although WWE has yet to confirm that.

Warrior "Ultimate Warrior" Warrior has a new blog up at his website, ultimatewarrior.com, talking about President's Day.

RAW on Monday did a 4.0 rating. We should have more details soon.

Mexican professional wrestler Mistico is scheduled for a tryout match with WWE. According to reports the Mexican superstar will be showing up at next week’s SmackDown/ECW tapings in San Jose, California. Mistico is currently working for the lucha libre promotion Consejo Mundial de Lucha Libre (CMLL) in Mexico. Pro Wrestling Illustarted lists his as the number five top ranked wrestler of 2006. Of course things could change between now and Tuesday, but this is currently the plan.

If you noticed, Lilian Garcia wasn't doing the announcing on this week's edition of RAW. Strangely enough, she flew all the way to California to sing the national anthem before a SmackDown pay-per-view the night before, so well whatever came up with her, must have been sudden. In Jim Ross' latest blog, he had this to say regarding Lilian Garcia: "Lilian Garcia was involved in a minor accident on Sunday at No Way Out and she should be back handling the ring announcing at RAW Monday in Fresno, which looks to be close to selling out!"

Jim Ross said in his blog that they recently filmed several episodes of WWE 24/7's 'Legends of Wrestling' program last week at WWE Headquarters. The next series of episodes will feature a a panel of Eric Bischoff, Michael Hayes, Mick Foley, and Jerry Lawler, with Jim Ross moderating. One of the topics discussed was "The Monday Night War".

Mark Henry returned to the ring at last night's OVW television taping after being out of action for over seven months due to a patella injury. At the 7/15 SMNE special, Henry completely tore his patella tendon off the bone and split his patella completely in two. He dominated Daniel Rodimer in his return match.

Johnny Jeter made his return to the ring as Idol Steven's tag team partner. No word yet on what happened to K.C. James.

Rene Dupree wrestled at last night's OVW taping in a tag match with Sylvan against Harry Smith and Kofi Kingston, and well, he had a "wardrobe malfunction" during the match. The show's reporter said, "An oblivious Rene Dupree didn't realize that his testicle had come out during the match and he pranced around the ring after the match with it hanging out."

Amish Roadkill's official name in OVW is Tony Braddock. He wrestled in a dark match last night. He has yet to debut on OVW television.

Vladimir Kozlov wrestled in a dark match as well. He defeated Andrew Vaine in a squash match.

Former TNA wrestler Nick Sinn lost to Jake Hager in a dark match at the OVW TV tapings. Sinn recently moved to Louisville in hopes of landing a WWE developmental contract.

- Sylvan's Superstar page has been added to the ECW Extremist Roster.

- "The Million Dollar Man" Ted DiBiase will be a guest on the Tuesday night's Trash Talking Radio show.

- A newly updated 3 disc "Hardcore Edition" of the Mick Foley's "Greatest Hits and Misses" DVD will be released on March 6, 2007. The added third disc will feature the following matches:

Mick Foley vs. Randy Orton
WWE Backlash 4.18.04

Mick Foley vs. Edge
WrestleMania 22 4.2.06

Mick Foley & Edge vs. Terry Funk & Tommy Dreamer
ECW One Night Stand 6.11.06

Mick Foley vs. Rick Flair
SummerSlam 8.20.06

Sylvan's Superstar page has been added to the ECW Extremist Roster.

"The Million Dollar Man" Ted DiBiase will be a guest on the Tuesday night's Trash Talking Radio show.

Billboard's Top 10 Video Sales - Recreational Sports DVDs for the issue dated 3/3: 1) WWE: ECW: Extreme Rules (2nd straight week), 2) WWE: New Years Revolution 2007, 3) WWE: Armageddon 2006, 5) WWE: Holiday Tribute To The Troops, 6) UFC 60: Matt Hughes Vs Royce Gracie, 7) WWE: Survivor Series 2006, 9) UFC: Ultimate Knockouts 4, and TNA: Bound For Glory 2006 slipped from #6 to #10.

ECW on Sci Fi Tuesday night scored it lowest rating to date, drawing just a 1.3 cable rating, with a 2 share.

There is currently a poll on the ECW website asking if Tommy Dreamer should be allowed free reign to respond to Vince McMahon's recent comments about ECW.

A newly updated 3 disc "Hardcore Edition" of the Mick Foley's "Greatest Hits and Misses" DVD will be released on 3/6.

Wrestlemania 3 "Championship Edition" will also be released on DVD on 3/6. The DVD features the entire event as well as the option to turn on a feature where facts about the event and wrestlers will randomly pop up as you watch it.

Brand new t-shirts for The Hardys, CM Punk, Batista, Boogeyman, Sandman and Kane have been added to WWEshop.com

"Dr. Death" Steve Williams' autobiography is now in stock at Highspots.com.

New photos of Maria have been added to WWE.com.

Source: The Wrestling Observer

- As previously noted, Hulk Hogan and WWE did squabble over financial matters recently, leading to the Hulkster not be booked for Wrestlemania this year. Hogan wanted more of a push of his merchandise, which the company is no longer featuring.

- Hogan’s agreement with WWE is that he would be guaranteed to always at least equal the highest paid performer on any show he’d work.

- Hogan is still upset the potential money match against Steve Austin isn’t going to happen.

- Hogan never liked the idea of working with The Great Khali at Wrestlemania.

Even with no Wrestling Society X on the air, Tuesday night's ECW on Sci-Fi episode drew a series-low 1.3 rating (1.49 million total viewers). That is down from the 1.5 rating last week, a drop of 300,000 viewers. The quarter hours ranged from 1.2 to 1.4, with a 1.6 overrun.

Vince McMahon is said to be on a mission to "fix" the ECW brand because he's had enough of the lowered ratings and the various problems. He wants to make it a brand that can stand on its own two feet and be a long-term permanent fixture in the WWE world.

Donald Trump appeared on the Imus in the Morning program on WFAN in New York and MSNBC. He promoted his WrestleMania match with Vince McMahon, calling Vince "a great guy." He said WM is totally sold out and that 100,000 people will be in attendance. When the host asked him who his wrestler was, he told him it was a guy named "Lindsey" in reference to Lashley. Also, it took a few moments to think of him before "Lindsay" came out. The host tried to get Trump to admit that wrestling was fixed, but Donald chose his words carefully and put over the wrestlers as great athletes. He referred to "Lindsey" as a black gentleman who is the strongest guy he's ever seen. Trump also said that a percentage of the earnings from the match are going to charity.

CM Punk is in line for something of a major push as long as he doesn't screw things up again. Also, there's the possibility of him being switched over to RAW to feud with Johnny Nitro.

Some cable systems are listing Bobby Lashley vs. Hardcore Holly in a Steel Cage match as the main event for ECW On Sci-Fi next week, although WWE has yet to confirm that.

Credit: WWE.com

Next week on SmackDown, Undertaker will respond to the comments made by World Heavyweight Champion Batista. The Animal told WWE fans and Undertaker that he “is not intimidated by anyone.” What response will the Phenom have for Batista?

King Booker gained a spot in the Money in the Bank Ladder Match at WrestleMania 23. Now that Booker has served notice to the SmackDown Kingdom, what will be his next royal move?

How will Kane respond to the attack he suffered at the hands of Great Khali on SmackDown, which cost him a chance to participate in the Money in the Bank Ladder Match?

Based on Nielsen's Fast National numbers, last night's Friday Night Smackdown scored a 3.2 rating. As per usual, the final rating will be available next week.

The Score in Canada will end its coverage of harness racing at 9PM on Monday nights starting 3/5. There is speculation that Raw may be moved to 9PM ET, as Raw currently airs on a one hour delay in Canada.

The new announcer on Raw is Max Bretos, who had previously worked for Fox's Soccer channel. He is said to be very professional and knows the current product.

Tickets for WWE's 3/22 and 3/23 house shows in Mexico City are selling slower than expected, but will still likely end up being successful with the higher ticket prices.

The character 'Little Bastard' is now being referred to as 'Hornswoggle'. In his profile on WWE.com, all references to the name 'Little Bastard' have been removed and replaced with the word 'Hornswoggle'. The profile was changed late last night after SmackDown.

The 2/5 Raw in Sioux City drew 5,200 fans for a $184,000 gate. The 2/10 Vancouver Smackdown/ECW house show did 6,500 fans. The 2/11 Raw show in Salt Lake City drew a 7,000 house. WWE's 2/11 show in Victoria, BC drew 3,500 fans.

From Travis Livengood: I was watching some TV tonight and came across a network advertisement, stating the IFL was coming to My Network TV which is a spawn off network from the WB/UPN merger. It stated IFL shows would be shown weekly. In case people don't know, the IFL is an up and coming MMA organization.

Donald Trump was a guest on "Imus in the Morning" yesterday, but couldn't remember the name of Bobby Lashley. Apparently Trump called him "Lindsay" instead.

Rey Mysterio Jr. has been advised by doctors not to return the ring due to the excessive knee damage he has sustained. In terms of story line, WWE's web site put up a tidbit that he was re-injured by Umaga's vicious attack on Friday night, setting back his intended return.

CMLL makes a lot of money off of Mistico by booking him to other independent Mexican promotions, thus the promotion has tried to convince him (by offering him more money) not to accept WWE's try out dark match on Tuesday night in San Jose.

In a correction to the stories on the recent cancellation of Saturday Night's Main Event in March, as it turns out, it was WWE's decision to cancel the show, not NBC's.

Lucha Libre star Mistico is still scheduled to get his tryout in San Jose at the Smackdown tapings this Tuesday. However, CMLL is trying hard to talk him out of it.

Andrew "Test" Martin was involved in a car crash in Tampa, Florida on Friday night when he lost control of his Corvette and hit a parked car. No one was injured and he passed a field sobriety test. As of yesterday, no charges have been filed.

The ECW (and Smackdown) stars are currently on tour in New Zealand. Bobby Lashley and Kelly Kelly took part in an autograph session yesterday. Kelly was well received by the New Zealanders because they chanted her name at the event. "The fans chanted my name. It was awesome," said Kelly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back