• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Minnesota Vikings Split?

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
What two knowledgeable NFL people described earlier this week as an "issue" in the Minnesota Vikings locker room was described Wednesday by a third informed person as a "schism."

The issue is quarterback Brett Favre, and the schism is the preference that certain Vikings players have for specific quarterbacks.

Sources with knowledge of the Vikings locker-room dynamics say some players believe Tarvaris Jackson gives the Vikings the best chance to win, while other players believe Sage Rosenfels gives the team the best chance to win -- which is one of the new twists to this storyline. In the words of one NFL source, Favre has "little support" in the locker room as Minnesota prepares for its Monday night preseason game against the Houston Texans.

Favre, who signed only last week, struggled in his one preseason appearance but could easily win backers with improved performance and victories. But as it now stands, one NFL source said these locker-room issues stem back to long before the team signed Favre, and it's possible they will not be going away any time soon unless Favre can completely silence them with his play.

Vikings coach Brad Childress was even asked Wednesday about the speculation.

"I've seen the same reports you've seen," Childress said. "Those are opinions. It's hard to shoot holes in an opinion. It's just that -- an opinion. I certainly don't see it."

Asked if he addressed with the players that friendships must become secondary to winning, Childress said: "I think all of them will cite that business is business. Whether they like it or not, that's the way it is. As I told Tarvaris, 'I don't expect you to like it.' He's a highly competitive guy, and he came back and played very well. That benefits him, that benefits us. There's no downside to that. I don't expect those guys to like it. But I expect them to deal with it and go forward. And by and large, that's exactly what's happened."

If Favre plays well, it's possible the issue could be silenced and the schism could evaporate. But it's also possible that if Favre struggles, the drama that accompanied his entrance will only increase, threatening to affect the Vikings' season and Childress' future.

ESPN.com

In his first preseason game, Favre SUCKED. Yes he was rusty, but this is the same Favre that sucked last year. Jackson came in off the bench and lit up the game with a higher completion percentage, a pair of TDs and over two hundred yards passing. Now given, this is preseason ball and Favre's first action in months, but this makes you begin to wonder: have the Vikings fucked themselves over? I get that Jackson hasn't had a stellar career so far, but just based on this little bit, Favre is way behind and won't give the Vikings the best chance to win. On top of all that, the players don't seem to be behind him at all. I know that it's just preseason, but what does this mean for the Vikings' playoff chances? To me, it means that the chances are in big trouble for more than one reason. First of all, Favre isn't that great anymore. Now I know that Jackson isn't the best in the world, but at the moment, he's certainly better than Favre, and while he's only got part of the locker room behind him, it's better than none of it. Have the Vikings screwed themselves over by going after the aged wonder, as in it's a wonder anyone still cares about him at all?

I think the Vikes are just fine with Brett Favre. Favre doesn't need to show much in the preseason. All that he needs to do is get into some sort of rhythm with the WR and TE's. That is manageable even if he doesn't play so well. Once the regular season rolls around, the offense will be just fine. Favre won't be relied upon to win the games. This is still AD's offense and he is going to see a majority of the load. The team still has a top notch defense, an above average O-Line, the league's best RB, and a decent WR corp. And they have a TE on the rise in Shiancoe. Favre is an upgrade over TJack and Sage, no matter how you look at it.

So Vikings fans should jump off the sinking ship on the 2nd preseason game of the year after Favre had a day and a half of practice time with his receivers? Nah I doubt that. He was rusty, but it was to be expected. Once Favre gets in the groove with his receivers, everything will be fine. The thing with Jackson is, he's inconsistent, one game he can be solid, the next game he'll complete a whole 4 passes. Sage meanwhile is good, but can make worse mistakes then Favre can at times, but I believe he will be a solid player in the next few years hopefully.

With that being said, Favre didn't suck last year, in fact he had the Jets rolling until the shoulder injury and Mangini for whatever reason, deciding to abandon the running game they had and rely heavily on Favre to get it done. That won't happen in Minnesota as Peterson is the focal point of the offense, no questions about it. This was a 10-6 team last year with futile QB play, and I don't see why they shouldn't be able to win the division, and then some this year. This talk of a locker room split is mostly media hype, because when Peterson was asked about it, he said the following: "That's something new to me, he said. "I'm not sensing nothing like that at all. I don't know where that came from. That's news to me." Plus honestly, who the fuck in the Vikings locker room thinks Jackson can lead them further into the playoffs than last year? If people honestly believe Jackson can do anything in the playoffs, let me point you towards last year's first round exit because of the Eagles. When we needed Jackson to complete a pass and keep a drive going, he couldn't hit a receiver to save his life. With Favre, we know he's capable of making clutch throws and game winning drives. Why on earth would you want to entrust your playoff caliber team to a QB like Jackson who hasn't developed one iota since coming into the league 3 years ago? Favre may be old and not as good as he once was, but he's still better than what we have now.

But I suppose the panic should start and say fuck this season based off of 4 preseason passes after 1 and a half days of practice right?

I love how when I said that in the Brett Favre thread I made this can cause a locker room split and everybody laughed at me. Now I told you that this will cause problems in their locker room because Favre tries to separate himself from the others and the guys just don't like him.

I love how when I said that in the Brett Favre thread I made this can cause a locker room split and everybody laughed at me. Now I told you that this will cause problems in their locker room because Favre tries to separate himself from the others and the guys just don't like him.

Who the fuck cares? If Favre comes and wins on a weekly basis no one will give a rats ass. A lot of players in the Steelers organization are/were iffy on Ben Roethlisberger, but as long as he comes to play all of that is forgotten. I'm sure people hate(d) Ben for different reasons but still? As long as Favre performs at a high level every Sunday and the Vikings win, no one will give a shit. The Vikes can have a separated locker room, but once they start winning, all of this will be forgotten, and people will forgive Favre for his little locker room antics.

This is just laughable...

ESPN.com

In his first preseason game, Favre SUCKED. Yes he was rusty, but this is the same Favre that sucked last year. Jackson came in off the bench and lit up the game with a higher completion percentage, a pair of TDs and over two hundred yards passing. Now given, this is preseason ball and Favre's first action in months, but this makes you begin to wonder: have the Vikings fucked themselves over? I get that Jackson hasn't had a stellar career so far, but just based on this little bit, Favre is way behind and won't give the Vikings the best chance to win. On top of all that, the players don't seem to be behind him at all. I know that it's just preseason, but what does this mean for the Vikings' playoff chances? To me, it means that the chances are in big trouble for more than one reason. First of all, Favre isn't that great anymore. Now I know that Jackson isn't the best in the world, but at the moment, he's certainly better than Favre, and while he's only got part of the locker room behind him, it's better than none of it. Have the Vikings screwed themselves over by going after the aged wonder, as in it's a wonder anyone still cares about him at all?

I love you, KB. I've been saying all this, but haven't been able to put it as succinctly as you did. Favre is aged to the point of going sour, and will only be serviceable at best for a few games, before phoning it in, and ruining their season. Outside of Favre, this could all lead to one of the 2 others being cut before the season, and the other not getting a fair shake next year, because the team will be forced to draft a QB to prepare behind Favre next season. He did it to the Jets, and Kellen Clemens, and now he's doing it to Jackson and Rosenfels.

But I suppose the panic should start and say fuck this season based off of 4 preseason passes after 1 and a half days of practice right?

You said yourself, that Favre knows the offense already, and has worked in the system. And, since he's Father Time, and continues to keep playing, even though his body tells him not to, he shouldn't need more than a few days with the receivers, considering he's had 20 FUCKING YEARS TO PREPARE FOR THIS SEASON. Yes, I'd base their chances on 4 passes.

I love you, KB. I've been saying all this, but haven't been able to put it as succinctly as you did. Favre is aged to the point of going sour, and will only be serviceable at best for a few games, before phoning it in, and ruining their season. Outside of Favre, this could all lead to one of the 2 others being cut before the season, and the other not getting a fair shake next year, because the team will be forced to draft a QB to prepare behind Favre next season. He did it to the Jets, and Kellen Clemens, and now he's doing it to Jackson and Rosenfels.

We don't need to draft a quarterback to replace Favre we have Booty. Favre didn't screw the Jets last year Mangini and the injury did. Who cares if Jackson or Rosenfels get cut neither have done shit to justify a roster spot anyway.

You said yourself, that Favre knows the offense already, and has worked in the system. And, since he's Father Time, and continues to keep playing, even though his body tells him not to, he shouldn't need more than a few days with the receivers, considering he's had 20 FUCKING YEARS TO PREPARE FOR THIS SEASON. Yes, I'd base their chances on 4 passes.

Then your an idiot because a few passes in a preseason game doesn't mean shit. When he is lighting it up like last year then everyone will shut up. Or maybe during tomorrows preseason game he will throw a few complete passes and you and KB will say we are superbowlo bound. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back