• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Michael Cole's Using NXT to Play the Internet like a Fucking Banjo

Uncle Sam

Rear Naked Bloke
I mean, these are some quotes I've gleaned from elsewhere on the web:

God Cole I will hunt you down you mother fucking tool

Fuck you, Cole. Shithead.

Shut the fuck up, Cole.

Michael Cole hates us.

My God Cole is coming off as a huge idiot.

Michael Cole has a death wish

"50 people in a high school gym" = Manhatten Centre/Koraken Hall/The Budokan in Cole's world.

I thought it was absolutely beautiful. Here are a group of people who are supposedly 'above' kayfabe and wise to the goings on of everything, yet they are being completely worked by Cole's heel commentary. I'll admit that there were those that realised they were being worked, but I think the majority of them were bitching and whining about how 'uninformed' and so on Cole was. It was a thing of beauty.

Oh god, I wish there was a NXT repeat. I can't believe I missed Cole's heel commentary. Anyway, it's not like Cole is uninformed. If Cole is going for heel-heat, he got exactly what he wanted, and he played everyone who hates him right into his hands, effortlessly. It was marvelous, the way people reacted.

That being said, I don't think he could stick the heel. The only reason it seemed to work so well with us is because he was talking about us. Of course it seemed so genuine. But he wouldn't have any lasting effect blasting a face like that. He's Cole. He gets dominated all the time.

I think Cole could stick as a heel commentator when it comes to the NXT program and he could use his thoughts on the NXT rookies on shows like smackdown.

Frankly I thought it was pure genius what Cole was doing last night, established that no matter where you were "you were nothing unless you were in the WWE" I f***ing laughed my ass off. Here's hoping they keep up with this because it is the best thing to happen to cole since heidenreich

It was moderately amusing, the main problem was that Cole isn't good enough to pull it off. He sounded so forced it was obvious it wasn't coming from him. It also would've worked better if he was working with somebody who's marginally quicker witted than...Josh Matthews? It would've worked wonderfully if...Josh Matthews? gave a quick witted reply that shot Michael Cole down. Instead Cole said his piece and that was it, until he said that Danielson had impressed him. What kind of a heel admits the person he's putting down has impressed him? A shit one, that's who.

The WWE Universe twitter has posted the following (it was also retweeted by the WWE twitter account):

Michael Cole has requested his @WWEUniverse profile be removed from our site, not wanting to associate with "online fans" any longer. #WWE

And I can only say that what Michael Cole did was incredibly awesome.
Looking at the reaction from all the fans, it was a very smart thing to do, which we can see from the reactions. I mean, at least there ARE reactions, right? This is 34534 times better than just half-heartedly listening to the commentary and not paying attention to what Michael Cole says. It MADE the fans react, it MADE them want to listen only so that they could bitch and cry about him or try to school him.

I myself was also pretty amused by his commentary. At first he made me go 'huh??' but then it became rather clear that he had taken a heel role.

The twitter thing takes the whole issue even further and it seems like he is really going to try and keep this up. If he can, well, only the future will show ..

After seeing Cole's performance last night, I almost question whether we should see a switch in Commentators and have Matt Striker drop his role as the sometimes "Argumentative Analyst" ... and instead have him take over as the Head Play by Play announcer for the company. He is much more advanced than Cole on knowing all the moves.

Then, switch Cole to being the Heel Analyst for the company. That would be a different role for Cole. But since Cole is despised by Casual Fans and the IWC alike, it seems to me like this would be a better fit for him. That way he can send pot shots out to the Internet anytime he wants to, to get under their skin.

I am really surprised that Vince let that go last night, because Vince has been responsible for the bland commentary these past few years and ordered them not to argue for fear of "making the commentators part of the show" which would in his opinion "detract from the wrestlers and in-ring action". Absolutely failed experiment.

Last night, the arguing between Matthews and Cole was great. And yes, Cole was clearly working the Internet, but you had to be Helen Keller not to realize that he was intentionally doing that to get under the skin of the Internet with comments like:

"Daniel Bryan???? Never heard of him before tonight."

"I don't care who Daniel Bryan is. He needs to show some respect."

My only critique is that he kept talking about "respect, respect, respect, respect" and he should have instead come to the table with some other Heel talking points. Ridiculing his ring style more often.

He could have perhaps said that "Here, I am the Play by Play commentator and I can't even do my job properly because I am falling asleep just watching this guy in the ring."

But well done, WWE and Michael Cole for last night's performance. It gives me some hope that Vince is reversing his mentality with his commentators these past couple years. Now, all he has to do is address the horrendous commentary on Raw. Ironically, his flagship show is the absolute worst show as far as commentary is concerned.

I thought Cole's heeling it up was excellent, refreshing, and a ton of fun. His arguing with Matthews during the Bryan/Jericho match was entertaining, and Cole sounded more natural than he has in a long time. I've heard that he's a jerk in real life, so this could be a good move. I hope he continues this path in episodes to come, maybe even taking it onto RAW.

I guess even Cole can show some personality.

My only critique is that he kept talking about "respect, respect, respect, respect" and he should have instead come to the table with some other Heel talking points. Ridiculing his ring style more often.

He could have perhaps said that "Here, I am the Play by Play commentator and I can't even do my job properly because I am falling asleep just watching this guy in the ring."

Absolutely this, but I'm pretty sure he was watching his words so that he wasn't legitimately burying these guys. There isn't really much you can say as a heel character to someone who's an absolute nobody in the first episode. I forsee a bit more coming out of Cole in the next few episodes of NXT, once the ball gets rolling and he gets a feel of how he's really supposed to act.

On a side note, you notice that Cole is coming off as "generic-heel #256"? All "new" heels come off as "YOU HAVE TO RESPECT ME BECAUSE I'M BETTER THAN YOU!" Every single one of them. Just a thought.

It took me a few lines before I realized I was being worked...then I just enjoyed, and for the VERY FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE I enjoyed hearing Michael Cole speak. Reminded me (VAUGLEY) of the Jesse/Vince bickering...Josh Mathews did great at being 'real'...all in all a GREAT first show.

p.s. The banjo is pretty difficult to play efficiently.

It's obvious the company sees something in Danielson, I doubt they would have their play by play man of all people completely burying their new young gun whom they have seemingly positioned as the centerpiece of their "innovative" new show. That and the fact that it would've been hard to call any of the action between Jericho and Danielson last night boring.

I think there was a little more reality in this than some of you may believe. I think Michael Cole HATES us, as much as we hate him. He thinks we are all idiots that know nothing about wrestling...and we feel almost the same way about him.

I thought he was funny. He was more entertaining last night than he has been...ever. He was a decent play by play guy in the past, but has slowly gotten worse and worse as time has moved past. He has gotten lazy, complacent, and stale.

But don't think for one second that his comments last night were a COMPLETE work. I guarantee this is how he really feels. He HATES the internet community. I know his profile was taken down by WWE, blah blah blah. That is all kayfabe, that's more than obvious. But his feelings are real. He obviously reads the terrible things that guys like us write about him, and he hates it.

While he may have been instructed to say the kinds of things he was saying, that was true emotion. Trust me, he can't act THAT well. That was not an acting job, those were his true feelings. And I almost have to tip my hat to the guy. Good job at not being such a pussy and standing up for yourself. Now, can he deliver that kind of emotion night in and night out? Whether it be as a play by play guy, or as a color guy, i don't care. I'm just glad a fire has been lit underneath the mans ass.

Well he seems to continue on NXT two nights ago, mocking Josh Matthews and other online users. It just seems so awkward, like the fat kid making fun of the obese kids for liking candy. I guess it is working, as there seems to be a lot of references to the online community on the NXT show, with Slater referencing his Twitter, and the likes, so if that is how Cole is going to get over as a heel, go for it. He is already the most hated man online for those silly IWCers.

Honestly, I can't stand NXT. The reason, Michael Cole. How hasen't this guy been fired yet. He isn't even that good of an announcer and "vintage" is just another way to make him feel special about himself when really everyone else is just laughing at him.

But since NXT started I've heard "Wow I love this show". I don't think anyone cares for his opinion. "This is the hotest new show on TV" Congrats, the only network to debut a show since NXT started was on the discovery channel.

My biggest problem though, how he keeps shitting all over Bryan "Daniel Bryan" Danielson. Seriously? Danielson is a better wrestler than the majority of the WWE lockeroom. And to have the Miz as his "pro"....the Miz has nothing on Danielson except the talent of annoying the hell out of everyone. For the record I was a Miz fan before NXT. Now I just find him more annoying.

Fact is Danielson doesn't need a boost of "charisma". His wrestling makes up for the lack of charisma. And for Cole to keep on insinuating that Miz is a better wrestler because he has "charisma" that he is a better wrestler than Danielson. :lmao: Miz got on Tough Enough because he was on the real world. Sure he has vastly improved but is no where in Danielsons league.

Now, I am glad that Danielson is getting the most attention but Cole's comments have basically made me not care about NXT less than I cared about ECW.

And just for a thought. Did Benoit or Malenko need over the top charisma? I dont think so, they made it based on their wrestling.

So what you guys think?

Can you say "mark"?

Cole sucks, but you didn't hit on the reasons why. An example of why he sucks is when he said Gabriel hit his 450 Splash "out of nowhere". Out of nowhere? WTF did you expect to happen?

You two must be crazy. Sure Cole sucks on Raw, but this is NXT. He sometimes plays a heel on NXT and he is doing a good job when he shits all over Danielson. Cole does his job when he shits all over Danielson because he is doing what a heel does and that is get a rise out of you. You are supposed to think that heels suck, you're supposed to boo them, you're supposed to hate them.

After NXT you think Miz is annoying? Great. That means he is doing his job very well. The Miz has based his career so far on annoying people. Why do you think that they paired him with Daniel Bryan? The reason they did that is very simple. He was beginning to get cheers instead of jeers. The easiest way to get people back to hating him was to have him be a dick to a universally loved wrestler in Daniel Bryan. That way when Daniel Bryan finally does beat The Miz senseless he will be insanely over for beating the guy that draws maybe the most heat in the WWE. With this stint on NXT The Miz's stock continues to grow in my eyes.

There's no such thing as a part-time heel. Are we supposed to accept him as a "good guy" announcer on Raw, and a "good guy" announcer most of the time on NXT? That makes no sense.

I pointed out one of the things that makes Cole a bad announcer, and it has nothing to do with whether or not he trashes Bryan or any other wrestler.

Sorry if I don't take being called crazy by you an insult.

There's no such thing as a part-time heel. Are we supposed to accept him as a "good guy" announcer on Raw, and a "good guy" announcer most of the time on NXT? That makes no sense.
He can't be jealous of one guy? That is the only time that he plays heel. The rest of the time he plays regular ol' Michael Cole. It makes plenty of sense if he talks down about a wrestler that he doesn't really care for. Would you rather have him praise every wrestler or be a real person and have people he favors more and people he favors less. I would rather have some real people announcing then announcers that only point out the strengths of everyone and none of their weaknesses. Besides, I have only heard the word "vintage" maybe twice on NXT. That guarantee's a step up in my book.

I pointed out one of the things that makes Cole a bad announcer, and it has nothing to do with whether or not he trashes Bryan or any other wrestler.
Their are a ton on moves he can git from the top rope. He said it came out of nowhere because it's not like he telegraphed the move through various taunts and climbed the ropes slowly then hit the 450 splash. He was simply taking advantage of where he was positioned in the ring. Once he got up there he could have hit a variety of moves, but he chose the 450 splash, hence the "out of nowhere" reference.

Sorry if I don't take being called crazy by you an insult.
I really didn't mean it as an insult. I just meant that you should make more points in your Non-Spam post. I apologize if I unintentionally offended you.

Honestly, I can't stand NXT. The reason, Michael Cole. How hasen't this guy been fired yet. He isn't even that good of an announcer and "vintage" is just another way to make him feel special about himself when really everyone else is just laughing at him.

I have to agree with you. I hate Michael Cole as an announcer. I believe that the only reason that he's not gone yet is because he has seniority in the company. He's been with the company for a while now and he's now part of the history of the WWE. I believe that he is also in charge of the WWE website and has some other jobs besides announcing. But he really needs to step down as an announcer.

I always found Cole's voice annoying and I just don't think he brings anything of value in regards to wrestling. When i play the video games with my little brother, I can't stand his voice and cliches. The first wrestling match that i watched was the Rock VS HHH in one of the first Smackdowns. That match got me hooked on wrestling. But even then, Michael Cole's voice ruined the experience. Its like when you order a big steak and its delicious. But when you go to water it down with a beer, you get some shitty girl vagina drink instead. Michael Cole is that vagina drink. Michael Cole is a vagina.

When NXT first debuted, i wanted Matt Striker to be the announcer. Now Matt Striker is a great announcer. Striker not only reacts to what's happening in the ring, plays the part as the heel, but he also gives great wrestling information to the audience. Striker knows the moves and he actually understands whats happening in the ring and he provides great gems of information.

Here's an example. When Swagger first debuted, he hit his finisher on some jobber. I didn't know what it was until Striker said it was a Blue Thunder Bomb. I would have never have known that. Michael Cole would have never have known that either. He would have just said Swagger powerbombed him. Said something like "I Can't Believe IT!!!" and then would have finished with "VINTAGE SWAGGER" even though it was his debut match. Cole is a joke. He needs to go. Cole's the reason why babies die.

Michael Cole is mildly amusing as a heel commentator. The only thing that is holding him back is the person he is working with. Josh Matthews is not a brilliant commentator and I think that the dynamic would work slightly better if he was working with a more experienced (and better?) co-commentator. I mean, I dislike Cole at the best of times but he has really ran with this heel gimmick and has me cursing him every time he speaks. However, King used to do that back in the 90's and it worked wonders for him. Michael Cole is no Jerry Lawler though and I think that Jake is right when he says that it is coming over as forced.

That being said, it has been nice to see Coel adopt something new and give it a chance. I expect that was the reason that he was put onto NXT and that the WWE are trying to experiment with him. They could do a whole lot worse and I think that whilst he is playing the heel role to perfection, he is coming across as ignorant. It is like he is McMahon's tool of saying "Fuck you" to the internet. It doesn't bother me that much but he should be able to tone it down and just release little bursts of heel commentary from time to time, like Lawler did years ago.

I have to agree with you. I hate Michael Cole as an announcer. I believe that the only reason that he's not gone yet is because he has seniority in the company. He's been with the company for a while now and he's now part of the history of the WWE. I believe that he is also in charge of the WWE website and has some other jobs besides announcing. But he really needs to step down as an announcer.

I always found Cole's voice annoying and I just don't think he brings anything of value in regards to wrestling. When i play the video games with my little brother, I can't stand his voice and cliches. The first wrestling match that i watched was the Rock VS HHH in one of the first Smackdowns. That match got me hooked on wrestling. But even then, Michael Cole's voice ruined the experience. Its like when you order a big steak and its delicious. But when you go to water it down with a beer, you get some shitty girl vagina drink instead. Michael Cole is that vagina drink. Michael Cole is a vagina.

When NXT first debuted, i wanted Matt Striker to be the announcer. Now Matt Striker is a great announcer. Striker not only reacts to what's happening in the ring, plays the part as the heel, but he also gives great wrestling information to the audience. Striker knows the moves and he actually understands whats happening in the ring and he provides great gems of information.

Here's an example. When Swagger first debuted, he hit his finisher on some jobber. I didn't know what it was until Striker said it was a Blue Thunder Bomb. I would have never have known that. Michael Cole would have never have known that either. He would have just said Swagger powerbombed him. Said something like "I Can't Believe IT!!!" and then would have finished with "VINTAGE SWAGGER" even though it was his debut match. Cole is a joke. He needs to go. Cole's the reason why babies die.

I agree in never having really liked Michael Cole but I disagree with the point of his being around being about seniority. Have you taken a look at the referee's lately? They have fired almost, if not every, referee with any seniority in the company recently.

People have never really reacted to Cole, I will give him that he has gotten a lot better since he first started. The years on Smackdown did him a lot of good but he has no personality, he's always been bland and the catch phrases he tries to come up with are usually pretty pathetic.

Not that it's on point but I have the exact same feelings for Todd Grisham as I have for Michael Cole...really Todd Grisham IS young Michael Cole.

Onto NXT Cole, okay first off he should be face or heel ALL WEEK. It shouldn't be a personality to turn off and on. If he's just supposed to be hard on the "rookies" that's one thing, but he says douchey things all the time.
This week he stated that Carlito had a point in that getting spit in your face from him being somehow a privilege. Really, Michael? Well, lets take a trip back to Smackdown; the date, November 11, 2004. Carlito, as Carlito Caribbean Cool was in a tag match with his partner Jesus against Luther Reigns and Mark Jindrak. Carlito went to the announce table, offered Cole an apple, then spit it in his face. Cole flipped his shit, as anyone would when getting SPIT in their face, WITH FOOD.

Also Cole talked about how Daniel Bryan has proven nothing, yes because the fans will react as they do know him. They claim he has never been on television (ignoring all other wrestling programs as if they don't count) but he knows damn well that Daniel Bryan has fought in televised WWE matches before. Was it RAW? Was it Smackdown? No. It was Velocity; but anyone with a computer can access Youtube and can clearly see John Cena vs. "American Dragon" Brian Danielson on Velocity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back