• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Merry Christmas from LSN

Not necessarily. the molecules may move in predictable ways in their purest form, but when you add in another element such as thought, it can change the eventual movement and actions no?

Wat.png
Science classes on WZ.

Not necessarily. the molecules may move in predictable ways in their purest form, but when you add in another element such as thought, it can change the eventual movement and actions no?

The argument begs the question. If thought were a free entity (if such a thing exists), it might alter the natural behavior of molecules and exert free will. But thought is just a manifestation of the brain, which at its most rudimentary level is a complicated system of molecules interacting in terribly complicated but (theoretically) predictable ways.

And this is why I don't like philosophers: WHO CARES????????? They sit around and think about thinking. GO GET A JOB!

The argument begs the question. If thought were a free entity (if such a thing exists), it might alter the natural behavior of molecules and exert free will. But thought is just a manifestation of the brain, which at its most rudimentary level is a complicated system of molecules interacting in terribly complicated but (theoretically) predictable ways.

RedEyes.png

I'd like to meet someone that pays people to think about things like these and write about them. They could use a smack upside the head.

Most universities have a philosophy department. You could slap all the Deans throughout the world upside the head.

Furthermore, I appreciate Strungenfurmer's commentary. Moreso if she's an actual girl, and not another Y-2-Jane.

Most universities have a philosophy department. You could slap all the Deans throughout the world upside the head.

Furthermore, I appreciate Strungenfurmer's commentary. Moreso if she's an actual girl, and not another Y-2-Jane.

LadyFreddie.png
Y2Jane is a man, yes?

I know. I took a few philosophy classes. The logic ones were fine, whereas the others turned into the professor and a few other students spending 45 minutes of a 50 minute class debating whether or not something could exist. After about 3 minutes of it, I'd come to the conclusion of WHAT FREAKING DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE BECAUSE IT MAKES NO FREAKING DIFFERENCE???

I got a D in the class which shouldn't surprise you.

He is. Had us all in debate over it for quite a while, though.

Where does your rage face background come from? Answer honestly. It will greatly affect my opinion of you.

ConflictingEmotions.png
Rage Face Background?

On another note, I feel bad spamming LSN's thread. I'm out!

I know. I took a few philosophy classes. The logic ones were fine, whereas the others turned into the professor and a few other students spending 45 minutes of a 50 minute class debating whether or not something could exist. After about 3 minutes of it, I'd come to the conclusion of WHAT FREAKING DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE BECAUSE IT MAKES NO FREAKING DIFFERENCE???

I got a D in the class which shouldn't surprise you.

Part of the human condition to want to explain an inexplicable world. There are only two solutions. One, go in circles trying to figure it out. Two, ignore it as best you can.

ConflictingEmotions.png
Rage Face Background?

On another note, I feel bad spamming LSN's thread. I'm out!

No, no, no. I'm up at nearly 5 AM on WZ. I will at least learn something valuable about a poster.

4chan, reddit, tumblr, so on. Clearly you frequent one of these sites. Which, is the question.

Part of the human condition to want to explain an inexplicable world. There are only two solutions. One, go in circles trying to figure it out. Two, ignore it as best you can.

No, no, no. I'm up at nearly 5 AM on WZ. I will at least learn something valuable about a poster.

4chan, reddit, tumblr, so on. Clearly you frequent one of these sites. Which, is the question.

None of those. Memebase - you can build your own comics there too. :)

So why go in circles? And why spend so much time in the hypothetical when you're trying to explain the real world?

So why go in circles? And why spend so much time in the hypothetical when you're trying to explain the real world?

Why indeed. Why are we drawn so desperately to explain a universe we can't? We can't even be sure our most basic definitions are true. But we keep trying. It makes us rather sad, or rather optimistic, depending on the way you look at it.

I mean, we can explain an awful lot about the universe, but there was always be these nagging questions, like free will, or whether anything exists at all in the first place, or whether there's meaning to all of this, and so on, that we're just going to dance about for eons and write great volumes on and draw pictures about. And then we all get drunk because it's just too much to bear.

It's humanity. I don't know how to handle it either.

Why indeed. Why are we drawn so desperately to explain a universe we can't? We can't even be sure our most basic definitions are true. But we keep trying. It makes us rather sad, or rather optimistic, depending on the way you look at it.

I mean, we can explain an awful lot about the universe, but there was always be these nagging questions, like free will, or whether anything exists at all in the first place, or whether there's meaning to all of this, and so on, that we're just going to dance about for eons and write great volumes on and draw pictures about. And then we all get drunk because it's just too much to bear.

It's humanity. I don't know how to handle it either.

Or instead of sitting around trying to explain the world, you can go out and live in it and not know what's coming. Why bother playing the game of life at all when you can sit in a room and map out every single thing that'll happen in it? Sounds terrifying.

Or instead of sitting around trying to explain the world, you can go out and live in it and not know what's coming. Why bother playing the game of life at all when you can sit in a room and map out every single thing that'll happen in it? Sounds terrifying.

I think it's a bit pedestrian to never even consider the question, but it's hardly good to let it consume you either. Balance, balance, always the balance.

I've been meaning to ask you, LSN...

How many roads must a man walk down,
before you call him a man?
How many seas must a white dove fly,
before she sleeps in the sand?
And how many times must a cannon ball fly,
before they're forever banned?

That is the nicest spam-bot I've ever seen.

Atoms and molecules behave in predictable ways. Human beings are composed of atoms and molecules. Therefore, how can free will exist?

I've asked this question on the forums before. It keeps me awake at night. I hope there's an answer in quantum mechanics, but I doubt it.

I took quantum mechanics in college, and it was a waste of time, for me. Of course, part of that has to do with the fact I got a B- in the course. Anyways, the size and shape of atoms and molecules determine the way they behave, so wouldn't that seem to imply that it would allow for free will?

Further, 99% of the human body is made up of atoms and molecules, if my memory serves me correct. The other 1% is made up of trace elements. Is it possible that those virtually undetectable trace elements give us the free will we use on a daily basis?

Granted, my philosophy skills are rusty, but I wanted to provide a better answer then "Because God made us with the capacity for free will". I hope you enjoyed the holidays, even though I know you're not the biggest fan of Christmas.

Because no one has ever told most humans what those molecules' behaviors are, so if humans aren't given that prior knowledge, to them it is free will.

Get out of my thread if you're not going to ask me a question, lest I drink your gatorade. ;) Merry Christmas KB, hope it was a nice one.

Roethlisberger, hate em or love em?

I love the guy. Absolutely love him. He doesn't get enough credit for being the top-tier QB that he is. Noone in the NFL extends plays better then he does, and he plays through injuries that keep most players out for weeks. He's put his off-the-field issues behind him as well, and I think it's made him a more cerebral QB as well. I love Ben.

No, that's beside the point. Whether we know about it or not is meaningless. All of our "decisions" are no more than a particular arrangement and interaction of molecules. Or so it seems, anyway.

But those interactions are triggered by the size, shape, and movement of those molecules, which is different in each person. Couldn't these differences explain, in a very rudimentary way, how free will is triggered?

What is it most about being a new Dad that you are looking forward to Bro?

The innocence. I sat and held my 7 month old neice on Christmas, and she was the sweetest little thing. The look of pure joy as she chewed on plastic or ripped open presents or just sat there on my lap was so precious. It also made me incredibly jealous, as I watched my twin sister's two kids open their gifts with such joy as well. I felt their joy as they displayed it. How much more will the joy be when the child is my own? That's what I'm looking forward to.

LSN, how is the weather where you are?

Cold and snowy my friend. It's actually been fairly good weather, knock on timber, for winter in Pennsylvania. I don't care about white Christmas' and the excitement(yes, some people get excited here) about wearing 3 sweaters and 4 coats, I just want to be warm. So far, pretty good.

I've been meaning to ask you, LSN...

How many roads must a man walk down,
before you call him a man?
How many seas must a white dove fly,
before she sleeps in the sand?
And how many times must a cannon ball fly,
before they're forever banned?

Blowing in the Wind would be the correct answer.

Dylan fan, Sally?

It was LSN, it was. And if you even think of touching my Gatorade, I'll bust you down to Entrance Ramp mod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back