• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Lose a Title BY DQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is a good rule only in that it stops from WWE style endings. Watch RAW, when was the last time a main event didn't end in DQ? Its a good rule to have in place, even though I know that all endings are scripted but it keeps the writers from using DQ endings too much, especially now that we know the rule. However, I feel like a smart booker would know that only heels should fall victim to this rule. The ending (I have only read it, not seen it) sounds very lame, it would be different if it was "intentional" on Stings part but it was an accident and so he should not lose the title like that.

I remember playing my SD! vs. Raw video game, and accidentally slamming the referee instead of my opponent and getting DQ'ed. I bet that is what Sting would feel like if it was all real.

Here's the deal in TNA for the immediate future: Angle/Joe will co-main event like 3 more PPV's easily (so there goes the novelty). Russo loves Styles as a heel so look for AJ/Christan vs Daniels/Rhino soon. TNA was supposedly down on Sting because he doesnt seem to care about the company (doesnt watch the shows, forgetting his white face paint ect ect ect). One of 2 things will sadly happen to Abyss; 1)He will lose it back to Sting at the impact tapings tonite ala Kane after KOTR in 98, or 2)He will have a run only to lose the belt to a returning FACE version of Triple J,, I mean Jeff Jarrett. Either way Abyss will not get the run he deserves. TNA dropped the ball last night in both of thier main events. Angle beating Joe basically says "Everyone in TNA sucks compared to Joe and it took the guy we got from WWE to beat him". LAX needs to just be dominant and be bitched out for the tag belts. LAX vs 3D would of been a great feud over the tag titles. Instead they will strip LAX, have a tournament AMW will win and just get destroyed by LAX the month after they win, why bother just let LAX dominate. TNA took a step back last night. If the 3 impact tapings tonite arent out of this world, dont be surprised to see the start of a mini TNA spirial south, that could get big real quick.

timoverdrive said:
...Because they also want to do a Cage vs Sting deal that has been boiling since HARD JUSTICE.

Exactly so why take the title off of Sting wouldn't a match between Sting and Cage for the title make more since...first Sting comes in claiming all he wants is to get rid of Jarrett...then he prevetns Cage from retaining his own title...Cage's rematch for the belt is then given to Sting...Sting becomes Champ all along and Cage is left w/o ever getting his rematch for a belt he never really lost...but instead stings loses the belt to Abyss... makes absolutley no sense at all

I think what you're missing, is that TNA is trying to be DIFFERENT from WWE...i'm a fan of both shows, and i was glad to see that TNA did something different, unexpected! You've got to remember also, TNA is trying to compete with WWE, if they're just another version of the same programming, what's to keep people from staying with WWE & switching to TNA? Plus with the internet coverage now-a-days, its getting increasingly more difficult to shock & awe the fans. I think what TNA did was a good step forward, to establish itself as a legitimate alternative to WWE. As far as rivalries, there's strong backbones for each storyline, as covered in previous posts (Sting/Cage...etc) things like the title, while they do accent some progessions, are NOT 100% necessary. Sure the ending was controversial, but that's ok. Personally, the fact that I dont find TNA totally predictable is a bonus. I've been watching wrestling for YEARS...and i'm enjoying the new variety

tna is just like WCW,taking the left overs from WWE and stealing the 6 sided ring the mexican wrestlers are used to wrestling in..abyss can have the title,sting needs to go to WWE,just in time for the Rumble and Wrestlemania and have a legend vs legend Dream match vs Shawn Micheals!!! tna blows!

hey, it's not WWE... TNA is entitled 2 w/e rules that they want!
But still y the hell have Abyss win over Sting on Sting's 1st defense? They could've had a specialty match at the next ppv... Sting should have won!

lalakerz said:
hey, it's not WWE... TNA is entitled 2 w/e rules that they want!
But still y the hell have Abyss win over Sting on Sting's 1st defense? They could've had a specialty match at the next ppv... Sting should have won!
They can still have a specialty match at the next ppv, this is probably the start of a huge angle, I could see Christian coming out on impact and asking Sting how it feels to never be beaten and lose the title, then they'll announce either a three way with christian/sting/abyss, or give sting a one on one rematch in a some sort of match that has no DQs, wich would further enrage christian

reed214 said:
tna is just like WCW,taking the left overs from WWE and stealing the 6 sided ring the mexican wrestlers are used to wrestling in..abyss can have the title,sting needs to go to WWE,just in time for the Rumble and Wrestlemania and have a legend vs legend Dream match vs Shawn Micheals!!! tna blows!
Two posts and already you're in the upper echelon of people who make me want to vomit on my keyboard. Bravo. And WWE took leftovers from TNA, UPW, Zero-One, WCW, and ECW. Big deal. Talent shifts. It happens. So by your logic, TNA'd be ripping off everyone else in wrestling if they used a four-sided ring (which they did for the first few years), so where's your point? Maybe they should be completely original and make the jump to a ten-sided ring since eight has been taken by UFC? The last thing I'd ever want to see is the 100% McMahon free legend known as Sting, allow that dumbass named Vinnie to drag his name through the dirt by having him job to Michaels at a PPV, which I'd bet my HDTV on if he went there and that encounter was booked.

I think a lot of things were handled poorly last night, I mean abyss is worthy as a champion but on a dq, that really is cheap, Im sure TNA did it to create a bit of controversy though

Army_JB said:
I think what you're missing, is that TNA is trying to be DIFFERENT from WWE...i'm a fan of both shows, and i was glad to see that TNA did something different, unexpected! You've got to remember also, TNA is trying to compete with WWE, if they're just another version of the same programming, what's to keep people from staying with WWE & switching to TNA? Plus with the internet coverage now-a-days, its getting increasingly more difficult to shock & awe the fans. I think what TNA did was a good step forward, to establish itself as a legitimate alternative to WWE. As far as rivalries, there's strong backbones for each storyline, as covered in previous posts (Sting/Cage...etc) things like the title, while they do accent some progessions, are NOT 100% necessary. Sure the ending was controversial, but that's ok. Personally, the fact that I dont find TNA totally predictable is a bonus. I've been watching wrestling for YEARS...and i'm enjoying the new variety
Amen. I'm tired of watching shows that are so predictable it hurts. The initial wow that I'd felt some years back during the nineties when watching wrestling as a teen dissipated when WWF bought WCW. With no one trying to outdo the other, there was no shock. Just recycled ideas that had been bled to death...NWO anyone? I enjoy the hell out of the DQ title change rule because it doesn't allow for a redundant run-in schmoz to piss away a main event. That kind of thing was cool the first 30 times during the WCW/NWO feud, but it lost it's luster when you could see all of the crowd watching the entrance way and not the damned match in the ring. TNA has learned of this and took steps to eliminate the problem, plain and simple. Either the champ wins the match legally, or the challenger gets DQ'd to lose. Otherwise, if the champ is a wiener who hides behind the DQ rule and tries to get himself DQ'd there is nowhere to go. This is why Jarrett has a good win/loss record. People had to do the job for him.

I think TNA accomplished exactly what they set out to do with that finish, They got people to talk, and they sparked conterversy (which of course crweates cash), the same goes for the LAX getting stirpped of the tag titles aswell though I just think that decision just plain sucked

The problem I see with the rule is that while it was an affective way of getting the title off Sting, T.N.A. have to maintain the rule in all future Title bouts. I'm glad Sting has lost the title, while I'm a fan I think T.N.A. should put World titles on wrestlers that are the future. Also I dont want to see Abyss as champion, in my oppinion gimmick wrestlers dont need titles.

I for one enjoyed the PPV from start to finish. A solid night of in-ring action and plenty of surprises to keep you asking questions. And I am sick to death of people getting on Russo's back. Give the fucking dude a break, this shit is ridiculous. He has done very little wrong since he took the reigns. And everyone is quick to point at these mistakes and anomolies. Truth is its bullshit. You can't say whether something was good or bad until you see the angle play out. The LAX thing for one. Who knows that LAX will actually give in the titles. Konnan was screaming at Cornette that they wouldn't give up the belts for nothing. So what if it turns out that LAX go completely rogue and hold up the NWA belts. What if Low-Ki comes in and kills Cornette to make a statement that LAX is bigger than management and that their ranks are growing. But evrybody is so quick to judge before they let things play out.

As for the DQ thing, I hated it. This was the only thing I found great fault in at Genesis. But again, it surprised me, I didn't expect it. I mean Abyss is the NWA champion. I have waited for this day for almost 3 years, I never thought it would happen (especially against Sting at Genesis) but it did. Even the whole DQ thing is OK, its just that people forget that the rule is in place when its never come into use before.

Which then speaks volumes for TNA over the last four years. Never has a title match finished in DQ (apart from one tag-team match back in 2002 (from memory) and again the titles changed hands. But the inconsistency lies in the eye of the beholder. When fans have never seen it happen, and have never been reminded of it, it becomes a problem.

TNA is not at fault in this. But at the same time by not subtely reminding people of the DQ rule in the weeks leading into the event it has resulted in a backlash from fans. If they had ensured people knew about this rule, instead of confusion at the finish of the match, there would have been a huge pop.

Besides all that a DQ finish is not all that bad. I mean even ROH fans, the most uptight and over-smarkish fans in the world (I should know, I am one) are accepting of DQ title changes in the old pure division. But again, all ROH fans were constantly reminded that the title could change hands on a DQ. Its not a bad thing, you just have to make sure fans are up to speed with the rules and don't think that they are being cheated.

I'm also not sure that Angle should have won the match, as I always thought they should use Joe's streak as a push for someone down the line (*cough, Chris Daniels, cough). But I even got over that already. You start to realise that beating Joe will make a star regardless. And it also makes things more interesting for the here and now, as Joe chases after Angle for the rematch. Besides it was an awesome match, I just wish it went longer. Who else wants Joe/Angle 2 to be an iron-man match. Mwahaha!!! Evil genius shit, lol. That would be fkn insane.

All in all a solid PPV I thought. Sure there were some minor anomolies, but when it was all said and done it was still fun and entertaining.

I think the loosing on a DQ is alright, to a point...

I was a part of a local shoot wrestling thing and we had rules like that... you loose via an intential DQ or count out you loose your title... sting was warned, he intentially continued and poof... DQ... a disrespecting act by a champ... doesn't deserve the title either... I dont think abyss deserves it either but eh, what do I know? lol

Its a good thing abyss won the title but its bad that they made Sting ( one of the greatest wreslters ever) a transitional champ but as for the rule i thinks its quite dumb because if a heel duz it it creates good tv.

It's a good move for many many reasons. Sting has always been my favorite wrestler but I don't mind it at all. They accomplished multiple things.

1. Sting's new relentless style was revealed and it cost him
2. They introduced the DQ rule in a way that people will remember it. Now they're able to use it down the road and don't have to explain themselves every time they do it.
3. They started to develop their big man. After reading the spoilers Sting is trying to lure Abyss away from his manager which will develop Abyss more as a character. If you don't like Abyss then this is a good thing. Abyss won't be the same Abyss for much longer.
4. As others have said they're keeping the audience on their toes. Everyone expected Sting to win so technically the best thing for them was to have Abyss win. Predictability is ruining wrestling.
5. You're talking about it aren't you? As Eric Bischoff has taught us controversy equals ratings. There's no such thing as bad press if you know how to manipulate it.
6. Sting is the last one who needs the title next to Angle. He's developed already and the fans are going to love him whether he has the title or not. Abyss on the other hand could benefit greatly from the spotlight of the title.
7. Some of the most intense characters were dark characters like Abyss. Mankind, Taker, Kane, even Sting during his dark period. TNA wants to establish their dark character so they can start to play with him.

I could list a few more as well. Why are people complaining? They accomplished so much by doing what they did. Even if you don't agree with it they found a way to accomplish everything they wanted to do with one weird match ending. It was awesome writing if you ask me and a very creative way to accomplish all of their goals.

I love the "lose your title by DQ" rule. in the WWE we've seen recently when Nitro was IC Champ, that he and Milena cheated just for the reason to retain the title. Well in TNA, you'll never see that happen, you will actully see the champ wrestle their best and not cheat to retain the title

If you get disqualified you should lose the title, if you didnt lose the title by getting disqualified then you could just keep the title forever by getting disqualified all the time!

I also forgot to mention earlier that if your dum enough to get disqualified then you deserve to lose the title, seriously you can't be on stings side, whether he is face or not.

Well fair is fair. Sting should of used his brain. And anyways we need good champs like Samoa Joe, Kurt Angle, Scott Steiner, Rhyno and Ron Killings are the kind of people id prefer as champ. well im more of a wwe person.

mcguiness69 said:
If you get disqualified you should lose the title, if you didnt lose the title by getting disqualified then you could just keep the title forever by getting disqualified all the time!
you make a good point, all youwould have to do to keep the title is wait for the ref to ring the bell then kick your opponent in the testicular region, your punch the ref in the face, hell if WWE had this rule then Booker would actually have to win a match to keep the title, instead of haveing his wench jumping on the back of wrestlers getting booker DQed, I think TNA is genius for haveing a rule like this and actually useing it, I know alot of people don't like how it went down at Genisis but that was probably the point, they wanted to piss people off so they would tune in to see what would happen

It seems this old rule TNA made has just been put in place to look diffrent to WWE, I think it's stupid though.

That's like scoring a homerun by getting hit by a ball in Baseball. "Hey Jarrett, how did you win the NWA title?", "I got smacked over the head with a chair."

It's just lame.

^That depends on the view you take of it. Most champions will never want to lose the title, so they will have to win by very cunning means, or just be the better man in a contest. Instead of what you get with a typical WWE main event regarding the title, which either ends in a blatant DQ on the champ's part (to keep their belt), or a schmoz which ruins the whole thing. It takes away the ability of a champion to hold onto a belt by being a punk. As much as everyone hated Jarrett wearing the title, he almost always ended up getting the drop on the competition and nailing The Stroke for the pin. It's meant as a rule that encourages competition and for the champ to do his damn job and be a winner, not someone who holds onto a belt they don't deserve. It also means that cooler heads prevail, and in this case, it sure wasn't Sting that kept the cool head.

i HATE HATE HATE title matches ending in DQs!! it feels like being cheated.

Anyways, the TNA rule makes the situation unique, & although I'm glad Abyss finally won the world title, i wished it wasn't by DQ. I don't care if he cheats, but GAWSH why DQ???

i think it was a great idea
1. without it, any heel could just shove down the ref and get themselves DQ'ed, and retain the title
2. they got the belt away from Sting without ruining his character by having him pinned or submitting, and this was a good way to keep up 'the hype'.

Abyss really did deserve this belt. he's always going through tacs, tables, barbed wire, etc...After his Barbed Wire Massacre match with Sabu, i'm surprised it took this long for him to win it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back