Lex Luger: Overrated or Underrated?

Lex Luger: Overrated or Underrated?

• Overrated

• Underrated

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Luger was underrated, and the post in this thread are why.

Lex Luger has been apart of some of the biggest, most exciting moments in wrestling history. To being the longest reigning US Champion of all time to slamming Yokozuna to defeating Hulk Hogan on Nitro for the WCW World Title while the crowd went absolutely insane....

I'll give you the part about the US title. Luger was a great United States Champion. However, if he wasn't in the ring with really talented guys, his matches were a complete snoozefest and he looked terrible. As for slamming Yokozuna, big deal. If you count slamming a 500+ pound man among your greatest accomplishments in wrestling, then you really haven't done very much. As for Hogan, yeah, he beat him for the title and lost it back to him 5 days later. So, I agree with 1 out of 3.

Luger has played a very huge part in the history of this wonderful business. Plus, he was apart of one of the greatest matches I've ever seen when he and Sting teamed up to face the Steiner Brothers at SuperBrawl. The fact that wrestling fans don't appreciate a man who gave us all those moments is truly a shame.

Like I said earlier, he was surrounded throughout much of his career with guys that made him look a lot better than he really was. As a member of the Horsemen, he was great by association. The other guys looked so good that he looked good. In most of his great matches, he had guys like Sting and Ric Flair to carry him.

i said overrated because whenever i seen him cut a promo it was so boring even his title reigns were as forgetable as kwang the ninja and adam bomb
even madusa was a better worker then luger and she's a chick
back in 2000 in the wcw era i was shocked that madusa wasnt the champion
at the rate it was going
luger didnt get a wwe title run because he didnt deserve one

I disagree with most of you. I voted that he was underrated. Name five people that ever made Hulk Hogan submit between 1985-2000? Sting is the only other one that I can think of. So what if he lost the title 5 days later? At least he was big enough to win it in an era where it usually didn't come off of Hulk Hogan's waist. Lex not only beat Hogan via a clean submission, he took out Hall, Nash, and Savage in the process, and he kicked out of the leg-drop. Again, how many people ever kicked out of that? Admittedly, more have kicked out of the leg-drop then have made him submit but both absolutely solidified Lex's star power during the late 90s.

Eric Bischoff, who I think is a genius, had his ups and downs in WCW. The biggest mistake that he made was taking the belt off of Lex that quick to give it back to the stale product of Hulk Hogan and NWO. Look at the way the crowd went nuts on Nitro (it's on youtube). They aired nearly 10 minutes of celebration that night because it was such a huge night. Lex was the one guy that successfully fought off the NWO. That my friends, is big.

I admit that in the ring and on the mic he was pretty soft, but you can't deny the fact that the guy had to of been big to defeat Hulk Hogan cleanly. Savage never did it, Flair never did it, and I'm sure that none of you feel that they are overrated, and neither do I.

Luger is one of the biggest the business has ever seen.

he's underrated.

sure, he was never the greatest in the ring or even on the mic, but he was decent. and he was over. during his feud wih yokozuna, and when he beat hogan for the wcw belt, he was over. and he was part of the nwo wolfpack, and that was hugely over. wwe's done a good job of burying him, like if you saw the "greatest stars of the 90's" dvd, they gave him the "self destruction of the ultimate warrior" treatment. probably because he was the first one to "jump ship" to wcw once nitro began.

so no, he wasn't great. but he wasn't bad, either.

Luger was the epitome of a guy with all the potential in the world, but didn't know how to utilize it. Does that make him overrated? No.

Like JMT said. He was involved in some of the biggest moments ever, and was incredibly over anywhere he went. He knew how to work a crowd, and they pushed him incredibly far. Alas, with him not knowing how to harness his potential, that limited him into what kind of star he truly could become. On these boards alot of people hate him, and I don't know why. He served his purpose, and he did it well. But he could have been so much more.

Luger is not overrated, nor underrated. He is rated just correctly in my book.

Lex Luger has been apart of some of the biggest, most exciting moments in wrestling history. To being the longest reigning US Champion of all time to slamming Yokozuna to defeating Hulk Hogan on Nitro for the WCW World Title while the crowd went absolutely insane... Luger has played a very huge part in the history of this wonderful business.

I agree that those are things to put bullets next to on his resume, but what did any of it ever really do for the companies he worked for. Luger is over rated because he was never really relevant. Now I'm sure your trying to figure out how being apart of the Wolfpac, winning a WCW title from Hogan of all people, and slamming one of the biggest wrestlers of all time isn't relevant, but when you look at what came of any of it, it was irrelevant. Nothing he did ever changed anything, or made a significant impact on wrestling as a whole in any way. Just because he was showcased in some of the bigger events of the MNW's and so on, doesn't really me he was anything special, he just looked good, he was ripped, and that was something you could sell on t.v., the only problem was that too few people were buying it with Luger because of all the areas in which he lacked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back