• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Layla Is The New Women's Champion?!?!

Mitch Henessey

Deploy the cow-catcher......
Staff member
Once this handicap match was announced, I was almost sure Michelle McCool would be crowned the new Women's Champion, but things didn't go that way. Layla was able to get the pin on the injured Glamazon, and she captured her first women's title.

Layla becoming women's champion was shocking, and her win also raises a couple of questions:

Could this be the beginning of the end for Lay-Cool?

Will Layla have a lengthy reign?

First, I think Layla winning the title could be the first step to breaking up LayCool, and their friendship with Vickie Guerrero. Let's face it, we all know there will come a time where McCool will begin to become jealous of Layla being the champion. She will want to win the belt again at some point.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Layla had a lengthy title reign. With Beth on the shelf, who else could be champion besides McCool? Rosa Mendes? Tiffany? At least you can say Layla is a part of a pretty good heel team, and she does a good job at playing the "mean girl" role.

What are your thoughts?

I think I speak for everyone when I say layla winning the womans title was shocking. It was totally out of the blue with no build up what so ever.
BUT, it makes sense. With no top face diva in the wwe not to mention on smackdown, it makes sense to give it to layla. She can have some fueds with the weaker divas and then have a lengthy feud with michelle before a proper face heals from their wounds.

Now, was layla deserving?... No, not really. BUT, he is more deserving then anyone else in wwe. With the lack of divas that can wrestle, I guess we have to go with second rate divas.. And since Michelle had held the title twice and STILL is a charismatically challenged boring champ, she lost her deserved championship title hold... I am so glad Layla won it over Michelle... I still won't watch, but it still caught my eye.

In the end, even with layla being the champ and with Melina coming back soon I don't see any bright future for the divas anyway... they need more divas and they need a diva that can actually wrestle and have the popularity (Mickie James style)... so for now the division is dead...

Good luck to layla though.. its the best choice wwe could do... and thats the really sad truth.

I have to admit I was surprised by this as well, and even more surprised about Michelle McCool not snapping at Layla for winning the title that obviously she would've probably wanted.

I think this is gonna be an entertaining thing to see, where it brings the women's division, hopefully it'll spark a new feud between Michelle and Layla, even though I have to admit I'm liking the whole Laycool team.

If this is going to be the end of lay-cool..the question is: who will be the face and heel?

My answer would be either one tbh, i don't care, i think mccool is really hated as a heel so it should be layla to become face...i think she could do it...maybe a lengthly reign...it doesn't really matter to be what they do now...im glad mccool aint got the title..

Oh, and i actually don't think it will be the end of laycool..just, they get a lot of heat, especially being with vickie..

I think this is one of the best moves done with the Divas division in a long time. Unfortunatly, with all those bad decisions preceding this, there is little to no where logical to go with this. With the title involved in a tag team and no decent face divas on Smackdown (or RAW for that matter) the divas devision will become a joke. We will see LayCool vs Kelly for the next several months, mark it down.

Also, gotta say it's nice that the Divas Search Winners are ironically both holding the titles at the same time. Didn't think I'd ever see that.

Layla winning the Title is Bullcrap :| I dont care how people
try to explain it , I dont wanna hear it

Why not bring Natayla over to SD and give it to her?
or shoot Why not give it to Serena :|

Im sure she's a better wrestler then Layla

WWE continues to kill the Womens Division :|

Melina, Beth , Serena , Natayla and I kinda like Maryse and McCool

The rest of the divas are just EYE CANDY :|

Layla=WC
Eve=DC

^ Lame!!!!

I had a womens title thread in TNA vs. WWE thread. It came across similarityies that people think Laycool will disolve. Mcool will be jealous, and stay heel when Layla can go face.... THEN they can fight, maybe have a few title wins over rosa mendas, tifanny, kelly.... AFTERWARDS all this ends, maybe if layla is champ they can bring back order of the womens title...

I must admit i was surprised at this result, and i too as stated was expecting Michelle to "snap" and either claim the title for herself, or even start a beat down on Layla turning Layla face in the process seeing as now with Beth injured and Mickie gone there is a lack of face divas who r believeable contenders. This will most likely lead to the end of Lay-Cool whis Michelle probly ending up in the classic jealous leader of the team, betrays the up and coming champion, a lil like evolutions turn on Orton ... except not as exciting, important or cared about lol.

Also someone earlier commented why in the hell has Natalia not held a womens or divas title yet, shes at least in my opinion the most talented diva wrestling wise, in the wwe she should be a champion, that is for another thread though.

I, too assumed that the announcement of the 2-on-1 handicap match automatically meant a 4th title reign for Michelle McCool. However, luckily... I was wrong and my sexy Layla is the new Women's Champion. This is very good for the WWE in my opinion.

Over the past few years, the titles have really been tossed around between pretty much the same few divas... Michelle McCool, Maryse, Beth Phoenix, Mickie James, and Melina. However, now with first-time holders of both the Women's and Diva's Championship at the same time... finally WWE is atleast mediocre-ly giving more attention to the division, and actually setting up fueds.

I'm really happy to see Layla as the Women's Champion. I hope she holds the title for a pretty long time, maybe losing it around late-Summer, but I doubt it. With a lot of the lesser talented divas on Smackdown, it'd make more sense for her to keep the title for a while. I also think that after a while jealousy will get the best of Michelle McCool and ultimately result in the breakup for LayCool. We'll just have to wait and see.

Hopefully, this creates an intense McCool vs Layla feud. (highly doubt it will happen though). This is like Eve winning the championship on RAW (I watch both shows every week and I have no fucking clue which women's title is on what show, pathetic), it's just to get someone new with the belt. Maryse, Beth, McCool, Natalya, and maybe Serena are the only remnants of a half decent women's division, so I see this feud further burying the title and making most fans wish the cruiserweight title was still around.

I could see this as the beginning of the end for Lay-Cool. Michelle is the top heel diva, so the obvious choice would be for her to turn on Layla out of jealousy and try to get the title. This would then turn Layla face. The only other option I can think of would be for Kelly to become the top face where Michelle and Layla pick on her or something. I'd rather see that happen, and for Kelly to win the belt. Lay-Cool are probably going to split up with Layla turning face because Michelle's character won't tolerate her underling holding the belt for long.

I don't think Layla will have a lengthy reign at all and I hope she doesn't because I've never really cared for her. She's not great in the ring or on the mic. It's only a matter of time before Michelle gets her belt back after a jealousy feud between the two which splits up Lay-Cool, unless perhaps Layla will lose the belt to a face such as Kelly or Tiffany.

With Smackdown not really having any popular or well known diva's left over after Mickie James got released and obviously Beth Phoniex's injury, I can also see Layla turn face after Michelle turns on her. I can also see Kelly Kelly somehow entering this fued as well.

I could see this as the beginning of the end for Lay-Cool.

That's what it is. The purpose behind Layla becoming champion has nothing to do with the opponents she'll face; it's a vehicle to feature her and Michelle. During the time Michelle had the title, Layla played a subservient role and was there to prop up McCool. Now that the roles have reversed, there's going to be a program that culminates in their split, because we can't see Michelle playing lackey to Layla, can we? The end can come in any number of ways and I look forward to seeing it as it unfolds.

By the way, kudos to Beth Phoenix for wrestling with a torn ACL. The doctors probably told her that doing one more match wouldn't do any more harm than had already been done. Still, there must have been considerable pain involved and Beth should be lauded for taking one for the team.

In my opinion I think this is what will break up Laycool. At first Michelle will be okay with it but after a few weeks she won't be able to stand that Layla is champion and not her. So I see Michelle attacking Layla and Layla turning face and Michelle will have Vickie Gurerror as her manager.

The two will face off at a PPV and Michelle will probley win and become a 3 time womans champion. Really I think that the WWE is trying to get Michelle to break Trish's record for some odd reason. So no Layla will not have a long title reign she isn't that good of a wrestler and she doesn't wrestle that much.

I personally love that Layla won the Womens Championship. She's the first ever British Womens Champion and she has definitely paid her dues in the company. She's been the valet to everyone and anyone and she has been the jobber to many of the top women stars in the WWE. Now that those stars are either injured or have been cut from the roster, this is the perfect time for a title reign from Layla.

There is no one currently on the roster that can challenge her for the title that is a face. The only faces on the roster right now is Kelly Kelly and Tiffany and neither have the experience to take the title away from Layla. I predict that Layla will feud with Kelly Kelly and then when the time is right, Michelle McCool will turn on her and challenge her for the title. She'll probably hold the title for more than 2 months until Vickie and Michelle screw her out of it. This will surely turn Layla face and by that time, Beth should be back inside of the ring and Kelly Kelly will perhaps receive a push for the title herself.

McCool, Layla and Beth are getting older and it will probably be time for the younger girls to make their names in the division. Kelly is 23 and Tiffany is 24 so expect the "older women" to get their title reigns until the women under 30 get seasoned and take over the reigns for the next 10 years or so.

I've always been a fan of Layla El and I am happy that she finally gets to call herself champion after repeatedly being an afterthought in the womens division. She surprisingly stuck through it and didn't quit and now her sacrifice has been rewarded. I'm very happy that creative decided to do this and I believe that Beth probably played a hand in this as well.

So to sum things up:
Could this be the beginning of the end for Lay-Cool?
Giving Layla the title definitely means the end for Laycool. Michelle McCool is the better heel and her jealousy will play a part in breaking up their team in the coming months.

Will Layla have a lengthy reign?
I believe that Layla will. She's 31 and she's been with the company since 2006 so this title reign was long due. I expect her to hold the title for at least 2 months with the max being 4. She'll drop the title to Michelle McCool in the end but will feud with Tiffany and Kelly Kelly until then.

th_Layla.jpg
th_Layla_El14.jpg

Shocking... Yes. Deserved... Yes. Layla as womens champion is a good thing for her, the title and the division. I hope team lay-cool dont break up now because they are going quite well. I would love her to have a lengthy title run, as a heel. Then down the road, maybe at night of champions drop the title to Michelle McCool or Beth Phoenix. Then she should switch face and re assemble extreme expose. That would be awesome.:banghead:

Layla is one of the decent diva she is not good but she not great either. As for wwe giving her the belt I think its a nice breath of freash air. I mean the only divas that are in the title picture for the last 2 years were James, mccool Melina and Pheniox and I am glad they are adding someone new to the mix.

I don't think she will have a lengthy title regin. What I see happen is Michelle started to get jelous and have layla turned face and they will feud over the title until Beth returns or until Kelly Kelly or Tiffany are credible enought to contend for that title.

I like the idea of Layla being champion but for the same reason I like Eve being the Diva's champion, she's just a new face in title picture. Its obvious that if WWE wants to split up Lay-Cool they'll have McCool be the jealous one. I was surprised that Layla won the championship but you know what wouldn't surprise me? If they kept the title on her until Beth comes back. I'm not sure how long she's suppose to be gone but I fully believe in WWE's ability to be able to completely take away any importance of Layla's reign by putting her in a bunch of tag matches and battle royals. I hope not but I'm expecting Layla to just be a floater champ in the Glamazon returns.

Well, according to RAW last night, they are both the champion since it was a handicap match. I don't see them breaking up anytime soon, perhaps the WWE is trying to test fan reaction to see if they want to add diva tag titles to the picture.

I don't know why they would though... unless they start making ALL the titles mean something again.

Im pretty sure they are not sharing the title bwtn laycool. King and Cole were just speculating. WWE.com lists just Layla as the champ.

Anyways, I was happy to see Layla finally win some gold. Shes come a long way since her diva search days and really deserves it for all the hard work shes been doing recently. Shes improved alot in the ring and on the mic. I was laughing though when her and mcool were wearing title belts. Im interested to see what happens next.

Bit of a surprise that Layla won, but I kinda like that. Too bad about the circumstances though (Beth being injured). I would be surprised if Michelle doesn`t end up turning on Layla at some point. I like Layla and she has improved, so good for her getting a reign as champ.

For some reason, theres two belts now. One for Michelle, and one for Layla. Great. Just what we needed. I think she will have a lengthy reign, because there is noone to take it from her/them. Other than who? Kelly Kelly or Tiffany? Hah.

I doubt this is the end. Its the only thing going in the divas division.

Layla is my favorite female in the business (followed by Melina, SoCal Val, Maryse, The Beautiful People, and Christy Hemme), so I was super happy to see her become the Women's Champion!

Yes, this will mean the end of LaCool. But I could see the jealousy already in the way Michelle was trying to hold onto the belt while Layla was celebrating. I see Layla being the face in this one and HOPEFULLY a long title reign as well.

I really don't know where WWE plans on going with having Layla and McCool both wear Women's championship belts. Cole or Lawler didn't really give a clear explanation the other night on Raw as to why both of them are wearing the gold, and if you look on WWE.com, Layla is listed as the only champion, so I really don't know where WWE plans on going with this. I'm hoping they won't have both Layla and McCool as champions, because that just wouldn't make too much sense.

I know McCool and Layla are pretty close as Lay-Cool, but still there should only be one champion. If WWE does go ahead and decide to have both women as champions, then that just shows they don't have too much faith in Layla as the champion.

Well, Last week they became "Co champions".. Thats a gimick that can go on for a while and not get to stale. Say WWE opens there eyes and pushes Gail Kim again, she can become a threat.............. ALSO evan can get a push with her, and have him chase the IC title (Depending on who wins at over the limit) and she can chase laycool. I actualy wanted to see Michelle go face I think she can make WAY btter matches and get better when she holds the titles. She will get over with the crowd more then ever and thats what the womens division needs today! mickie and Beth gone, who else? Melina is probaly gone for a while...

I really don't know where WWE plans on going with having Layla and McCool both wear Women's championship belts. Cole or Lawler didn't really give a clear explanation the other night on Raw as to why both of them are wearing the gold, and if you look on WWE.com, Layla is listed as the only champion, so I really don't know where WWE plans on going with this. I'm hoping they won't have both Layla and McCool as champions, because that just wouldn't make too much sense.

I know McCool and Layla are pretty close as Lay-Cool, but still there should only be one champion. If WWE does go ahead and decide to have both women as champions, then that just shows they don't have too much faith in Layla as the champion.

Also, notice when Mcool was champion only SHE got the belt, now that her partner has it she wants one also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back