Lashley Has Won Me Over; How About You?

Chrome

Getting Noticed By Management
He has had a remarkable improvement from his first run. We can all say that Bobby's first run was a relative non-starter, which was only saved by Scott Steiner chasing his wife and general Steinerisms. Bobby back then didn't look motivated both as a performer and character. We all knew he had Brock like athleticism, but for whatever reason that presence didn't translate to TV.

Fast forward today and Bobby looks reborn. Some success can be attributed to the great heel work of MVP and King, but Bobby since becoming champ has turned up the dials. His ring-work seems to improve with every match, whilst he has also nailed the character of a brooding unstoppable monster. You can see Bobby clearly believes in this character, which is breathing a new life into him as a performer. I'd argue he has never been better as a performer, including his time spent in the WWE.

The potential feuds that could make for some entertaining TV are great in my mind.

Bobby Roode is the obvious guy to take the title, but I think it makes sense to hold off for the eventual big-pay off. In the meantime there's a load of guys that could make something good.

Storm would need to go tweener, but considering Roode and Storm have kayfabe made peace, a Beer-Money Reunion to take on the three would produce some great matches. Storm's a really dependable guy, I think he would be a great guy to match up with the champ, especially considering he's an easy guy to get behind.

Bully is an obvious choice, especially with the New vs Old ECW history to use as fuel. A hardcore gimmicked match would add another layer to the indestructible nature of Bobby. Abyss could also be used for this purpose, but he's not as good a ring-talent as Bully anymore.

A face Magnus trying to redeem himself, as the old posterboy vs the new one. If Roode doesn't end the reign, it would be a good way to rebuild Magnus back into the main-event.

Anderson is another good filler feud. When motivated he's decent. With Bobby there to lead the match, I'm sure it could be a fun short-feud. Loudmouth babyface always works well against a brute style character.

Angle is another decent pick, if he is healthy. If the match ever happens Bobby needs to retire the guy as he's obviously looking to leave. It would make Bobby look like a demi-god and would only be good for TNA. Angle has also always matched up well with bigger guys.

Finally, people love an underdog story. EY or Aries could do this well. Constantly failing but getting closer each time at taking the Gold. Eventually it leads to some stip or overconfidence from the champ, where the little guy does the damage.

Sure I've missed others but I think Bobby is probably the best champ since Aries or Roode. Hopefully TNA stays afloat, as it would be a shame to lose this impressive run from the guy. I never thought I would be saying this about Bobby. I have to admit I was wrong about this signing. TNA bringing him back was a great decision.

One minor thing I noticed Thursday was that Lashley's Intro theme sounds exactly like Aries' theme. It was embarrassing, The guy needs something more intimidating.

How do you all feel able his current reign and possible future feuds?

Lashley-The-Destroyer.jpg

He actually has.
When he was in WWE I just wanted him to go away and hated the push he was getting.

I can't remember anything about his first TNA run. I actually had to look it up just now to see when it was. I'm not sure I was watching TNA at the time. If I was it was here and there so I can't comment on his first run.

When he came back this time I couldn't have cared less. I'm sure I still had the blinders on and wasn't even going to give him a chance.

Maybe it's partly to do with MVP and Kenny King which I am sure it's partly because of that but also I don't want to turn it off when he wrestles now. And I'm not bored with his matches.

Lashley has definitely improved a whole lot. Sure, he doesn't talk but that's why he's paired with MVP and Kenny King. His in-ring skills were never in doubt but now, he just seems to be on a different level. You can see that he's trying to tell a story with his move set now. He's really selling the "machine" or "destroyer" mantra that he's been given really well. I liked EY's championship run but Lashley's championship run is something that I welcome with open arms.

Bobby Lashley won me over a long time ago. Not enough to buy a t-shirt, watch TNA or, you know, write much favourable about him - but I'd have told you that he was a good wrestler if you asked me directly.

There was a reason WWE kept him in the upper echelons of their company - upper echelons which, at the time, were occupied by the likes of The Undertaker, Batista and, yes, John Cena. He's good. Really good.

Keeping one eye on TNA, catching a YouTube video here, some hyped up posts there, it hasn't surprised me that Lashley has been performing at a high level.

Lashley was one of the dudes when I was getting into WWE. Him, Batista, Undertaker, Edge, Booker T & the Royal Court, bits of Benoit & Guerrero, Kennedy & MVP, that stuff was my bread and butter for quite some time. He is a pretty good wrestler when he cares to be, it's just that he doesn't always care to be.

I like the way Lashley has been booked. It's good to see a heel World Champion who wins cleanly.

He won me over years back. He was just never around long enough for that to consistently matter. That book has a new chapter these days, and while I'm pretty certain it's MVP we'd be talking about as World Heavyweight Champion right now, that injury was probably a blessing in disguise. Not in the sense that MVP can't be champion, but more so in the sense that it gave Lashley the opportunity for "The Destroyer" to be born, and he's been killing it ever since. Him not having to speak, and having MVP talk for him is huge, too.

Always been a fan of his. I hope he never losses the title. TNA needs to keep the belt on Lashely until someone who is truly ready can win it from him. Just hearing Lashley's music, seeing him with the title with the cold stern look on his face is awesome. He's just a beast who truly deserves the name The Destroyer. MVP getting hurt as IDR mentioned, is truly a blessing in disguise.

He's becoming (or has become) a complete performer in the ring. Monster heels don't need to talk on the mic, they can do all their talking through body language and powerful maneuvers. Lashley was always able to do the power moves, but it's HOW they're done that matters a lot. Lashley is getting a lot better at the psychological side of wrestling.

I think the main point is, he's a great champion. It's going to be a huge moment when he's finally dethroned. I won't even try to estimate an opponent for him, I've been enjoying the ride in TNA lately, and whoever steps up to the plate will put on a great match with Bobby.

He has had a remarkable improvement from his first run. We can all say that Bobby's first run was a relative non-starter, which was only saved by Scott Steiner chasing his wife and general Steinerisms. Bobby back then didn't look motivated both as a performer and character. We all knew he had Brock like athleticism, but for whatever reason that presence didn't translate to TV.

Fast forward today and Bobby looks reborn. Some success can be attributed to the great heel work of MVP and King, but Bobby since becoming champ has turned up the dials. His ring-work seems to improve with every match, whilst he has also nailed the character of a brooding unstoppable monster. You can see Bobby clearly believes in this character, which is breathing a new life into him as a performer. I'd argue he has never been better as a performer, including his time spent in the WWE.

The potential feuds that could make for some entertaining TV are great in my mind.

Bobby Roode is the obvious guy to take the title, but I think it makes sense to hold off for the eventual big-pay off. In the meantime there's a load of guys that could make something good.

Storm would need to go tweener, but considering Roode and Storm have kayfabe made peace, a Beer-Money Reunion to take on the three would produce some great matches. Storm's a really dependable guy, I think he would be a great guy to match up with the champ, especially considering he's an easy guy to get behind.

Bully is an obvious choice, especially with the New vs Old ECW history to use as fuel. A hardcore gimmicked match would add another layer to the indestructible nature of Bobby. Abyss could also be used for this purpose, but he's not as good a ring-talent as Bully anymore.

A face Magnus trying to redeem himself, as the old posterboy vs the new one. If Roode doesn't end the reign, it would be a good way to rebuild Magnus back into the main-event.

Anderson is another good filler feud. When motivated he's decent. With Bobby there to lead the match, I'm sure it could be a fun short-feud. Loudmouth babyface always works well against a brute style character.

Angle is another decent pick, if he is healthy. If the match ever happens Bobby needs to retire the guy as he's obviously looking to leave. It would make Bobby look like a demi-god and would only be good for TNA. Angle has also always matched up well with bigger guys.

Finally, people love an underdog story. EY or Aries could do this well. Constantly failing but getting closer each time at taking the Gold. Eventually it leads to some stip or overconfidence from the champ, where the little guy does the damage.

Sure I've missed others but I think Bobby is probably the best champ since Aries or Roode. Hopefully TNA stays afloat, as it would be a shame to lose this impressive run from the guy. I never thought I would be saying this about Bobby. I have to admit I was wrong about this signing. TNA bringing him back was a great decision.

One minor thing I noticed Thursday was that Lashley's Intro theme sounds exactly like Aries' theme. It was embarrassing, The guy needs something more intimidating.

How do you all feel able his current reign and possible future feuds?

Lashley-The-Destroyer.jpg

Isn't it amazing what can happen when a guy is used correctly?

Lashley was set up to fail in his initial mainstream push in WWECW. Not only was he enforced onto a hopeful ECW fanbase, but as a face. While ECW fans were craving for a fix of Sabu, Rob Van Dam, Dreamer, or whoever to get a face push, it was Lashley who McMahon chose to be the face of WWECW. The problem there is, not only did Lashley have no "street cred" for the fanbase supposedly being catered to, but Lashley does not carry any charisma whatsoever. He was branded a stiff and sent packing.

Now fast forward to TNA and Lashley's current gimmick: The Destroyer. What works for him now?
1. He rarely talks.
2. He's a heel
3. He's a dominant anti-hero, winning clean.

Think Vader, Think ECW Taz, Think Brock Lesnar, Think Ken Shamrock.. guys who you'd suspect are bad asses outside of the ring, not just fluffy performers like Shawn Michaels, Edge, etc.

It's a great gimmick right now. His clean wins over Eric Young, Jeff Hardy, and Austin Aries were great for the TNA belt, and really didn't do anything to hurt the losers, since Lashley is sold as so dominant.

It's a win-win for everybody.

I have always liked Lashley but thought he had no direction. Now with MVP, he has more of a focus and comes across better. My hope is that when he eventually loses the title, it helps establish someone like a Bobby Roode as the top guy around and isn't wasted.

Lashley has been GREAT.
I've seen people talk about how Lashley isn't as good on the mic, so it's a plus that TNA has limited his peaking. it's a plus to use MVP in that role speaking for Lashley.
Lashley is a beast. his body size is something you can't teach for wrestling. that's a major plus when you're portraying something in wrestling.
the way TNA has booked him has also been great. winning every match lean without any help. seriously when was the last time TNA did that with a heel? Magnus needed help. Bully needed help. Aries beat Roode and then lost to Hardy, but I don't think he was seen as a "heel". even Roode was cheating and doing other things to win. Hardy in Immortal had their help right?

One word answer?

No.

I didn't like him back in the WWE, so was equally unimpressed when he came to TNA.

I know he is a big, monster type character, so I could understand him being the 'muscle' or 'enforcer' but to make him World Champion?

I really am not liking him holding the belt.

I just don't buy it.

MVP? Yes.

Kenny King? X and/or TV Champion

Lashley? Perhaps Tag Titles with King but World Champion?

Not for me!

One word answer?

No.

I didn't like him back in the WWE, so was equally unimpressed when he came to TNA.

I know he is a big, monster type character, so I could understand him being the 'muscle' or 'enforcer' but to make him World Champion?

I really am not liking him holding the belt.

I just don't buy it.

MVP? Yes.

Kenny King? X and/or TV Champion

Lashley? Perhaps Tag Titles with King but World Champion?

Not for me!

You've effectively voiced your objection, but you haven't actually explained why.

What would make you buy MVP as World Champion, for example, but not Bobby Lashley?

Or to be more direct, what is it, exactly, that precludes Lashley from being bought as a World Champion? It certainly can't be look or size, and I doubt you could pin much against his actual wrestling ability either. So what's the issue?

You've effectively voiced your objection, but you haven't actually explained why.

What would make you buy MVP as World Champion, for example, but not Bobby Lashley?

Or to be more direct, what is it, exactly, that precludes Lashley from being bought as a World Champion? It certainly can't be look or size, and I doubt you could pin much against his actual wrestling ability either. So what's the issue?

I'll take a stab at it. When lashley was coming up, they referred to him as "Lesnar times ten". The problem was, he was never as dominant in matches, didn't have the same athleticism, and didn't have Paul Heyman. This, he came off as a generic big man who can't talk. The same arguably still applies.

In this case, MVP had been built up as the guy and then out of nowhere, Lashley wins the title. For a guy like that to work as champ, you build him up as a monster for a while, have him beat the champ and continue to dominate until a hero slays him. We just never got the first part of the story. Just one day he was champ. That's the biggest problem with his reign. Well, that and that he's a bore and doesn't come off like the star or the show or anywhere close.

I'll take a stab at it. When lashley was coming up, they referred to him as "Lesnar times ten". The problem was, he was never as dominant in matches, didn't have the same athleticism, and didn't have Paul Heyman. This, he came off as a generic big man who can't talk. The same arguably still applies.

In this case, MVP had been built up as the guy and then out of nowhere, Lashley wins the title. For a guy like that to work as champ, you build him up as a monster for a while, have him beat the champ and continue to dominate until a hero slays him. We just never got the first part of the story. Just one day he was champ. That's the biggest problem with his reign. Well, that and that he's a bore and doesn't come off like the star or the show or anywhere close.

OK, but there's a problem inherent here... if Lashley is a generic big man who can't talk, what does that make Lesnar? They're cut from the same cloth. Same look, same general appeal, both MMA-infused and neither could talk their way out of a parking ticket, much less issue an appealing promo.

I get the out-of-nowhere distaste, but it's not as thought they had much of a choice there. Young was crashing ratings and the recipient of a lot of backlash, and MVP, who probably would be champion right now, ended up injuring his knee in a freak accident. They had to scramble to change the card, and Lashley made the most sense as a suitable replacement storyline-wise. Considering this was happening at a PPV that was already booked, it's not as though you could have just yanked a guy out of an already booked match and said "OK, we'll go with him". I mean, you could have, but the same issue would apply, plus now you've left his would-be partner in the cold as well. Twice the issue.

I guess a better question is, what should they have done?

OK, but there's a problem inherent here... if Lashley is a generic big man who can't talk, what does that make Lesnar? They're cut from the same cloth. Same look, same general appeal, both MMA-infused and neither could talk their way out of a parking ticket, much less issue an appealing promo.

I get the out-of-nowhere distaste, but it's not as thought they had much of a choice there. Young was crashing ratings and the recipient of a lot of backlash, and MVP, who probably would be champion right now, ended up injuring his knee in a freak accident. They had to scramble to change the card, and Lashley made the most sense as a suitable replacement storyline-wise, and considering this was happening at a PPV that was already booked. It's not as though you could have just yanked a guy out of an already booked match and said "OK, we'll go with him". I mean, you could have, but the same issue would apply, plus now you've left his would-be partner in the cold as well. Twice the issue.

I guess a better question is, what should they have done?

Well like I said, the main difference between Lesnar and Lashley in WWE was their booking. Lesnar dominated people from day 1, won king of the ring, and won his first title match over the biggest baby face in the company. He also had Heyman talking for him. Lashley literally had none of that.

As for this situation in TNA, I wouldn't say Eric Young was tanking ratings because the ratings were meh to begin with. The story they had with him disposing of all comers was working quite well and I wouldn't have loved MVP taking e title off of him for the newest heel stable. EY was overcoming all the odds and the title change felt like it came out of nowhere. Now, had Lashley been booked as "the guy" since he came back and he couldn't lose, then it might have worked. Unfortunately, he didn't win the night before and he really hadn't been more than an enforcer for MVP who was to be the guy. No one ever said he was unstoppable and he wasn't presented as such. He is now in a sense, but did he magically learn to dominate? It's sort of like it wwe when a mid carder got Money In The Bank, would lose matches, then become champion and we're supposed to just buy it. And yeah, they win matches after to show it's "legit" but the lead up wasn't good. That's what is going on here and how I perceive it.

So while I personally have never liked Lashley (even when I met him he was boring), had he been presented as dominant and the guy, I might buy it. As it stands, he was the enforcer of the group and got the title because the better guy got hurt (better guy as presented on TNA television). For me, that doesn't present me with a great champion.

[FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]Lashley's title reign has certainly been fine... his matches have gone from boring squashes to something that I can look forward to and enjoy when I watch the show. [/FONT][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]His matches with Young and Aries were both entertaining brawls and he seemed to work well with the smaller guys which always helps.

[/FONT]Basically, someone has to end him at Bound for Glory...Roode most likely. I'd assume he's going to drop the title to him, but there's always the chance that he'll lose it before then in case he gets beaten in his Bellator fight, because TNA is crazy enough to let him do both at once. Clearly worked so well the first time, right?
[/FONT]

There was no need for Lashley to win me over with his ring work- it's always been good enough for me.

The main change has been the addition of MVP as his mic man, that has really worked well. MVP can talk as well as almost anyone in the business, and this immediately covers over Lashley's major flaw which is smart booking. When you have a guy with Lashley's look, strength and power but with 1 glaring weakness in not being able to cut a good promo...what do you do? YOU GIVE HIM A MOUTHPIECE. Same as the Lesnar/Heyman partnership, Heyman talks for Lesnar who is painful on the mic.

There's no way Lashley would be a successful heel without someone doing the talking for him, but it's a very smart move to put him with MVP which means Lashley can do what he does best, be dominant in the ring and play the role of a silent destroyer. He has improved in the ring, and has the look of a Champion. I was pleased when he returned to TNA and have been more impressed with him every time I've seen him so far. Long may his reign continue.

I just find Lashley boring, and dull to watch.

I can't really explain why I find him boring, possibly just that to me he doesn't seem to display any charisma and his promos just lack any real passion.

Plus I've never been very impressed with his work in the ring either.

MVP, whilst I don't think he is that great in the ring either and there are others I would rather have as Champion than him, should he ever be given a run, but he can talk and build heat with the crowd and I do enjoy his matches and promos.

But to sum up with Lashley?

I just find him boring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back