• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Kurt Angle: The Greatest Wrestler in TNA History

It's Damn Real!

The undisputed, undefeated TNA &
No question mark needed. Statement of fact.

It's kind of funny that an early, somewhat short match with Rockstar Spud is influencing my decision here (kudos to Spud by the way), but when you combine that with the main event match he had against Aries, it just reinforces the undeniable fact that Kurt Angle is the greatest and most accomplished wrestler in TNA's history. It's not even a matter of question. It's fact. And that's not to sell short the likes of Styles, Joe, Hardy or even Aries short (among others) who did tremendous things over their time as well. In fact, they're among the greats. But Angle is just one step above them all.

I know most threads in this section tend to have a greater discourse path, but I just felt compelled to come in and write this, short as it may be. It just needs to be said again.

Oh it's real...

I agree, its incredible, HOF member, first ever TNA World Heavyweight Champ, biggest fish to jump to the other pond, not to mention it happen early in TNA's history. Leader of a legendary faction, and an epic Alliance with Tomko and Christian, countless epic matches and feuds with Anderson, AJ, Abyss, Roode, Matt Morgan, Team 3D, Sting, Samoa Joe, Desmond Wolfe, Hardy, and now Aries, as well as Lashley and soon EC3. Its incredible what he has been able to do these last 9 years after his insane WWE run. One man that has never stopped his momentum!

Not that I disagree with the sentiment, but just to have the fun of playing Devil's Advocate, if we're talking purely about a guy's work in TNA, I think that Bobby Roode would be the guy who could have the most compelling case made for him versus Angle.

In total Kurt has nine title reigns, having the held the TNA World Title(6 times), the X-Division title(1 time), and the Tag titles(2 times). Those wins span 668 days and counting, 594 and counting of those spent as World Champion(the highest total in company history).

Roode though also boasts nine title reigns, having held the TNA World Title(2 times), the TNA tag titles(5 times), and the NWA Tag straps(2 times) prior to the split when they were the company's recognized championships. His reigns span 977 days(over 300 more days than Kurt), and while only 367 days of that were spent as World Champ(well over 200 days less than Angle), that number still represents the second highest total of aggregate days spent holding the company's top prize. And Roode also owns the distinction of having had the longest reign with the World Title(a 256 day stint that outlasts Angle's longest single run with that belt by some 11 weeks).

Both men have countless incredible matches on their resume with TNA, and also share a very evenly matched head-to-head record. Kurt may get the nod as the best performer in company history due in major part to his notoriety and pre-TNA history allowing his star to be parlayed as brighter; however, a case can be made for Roode as a very debatable equal as far as career TNA output.

I have to agree. I understand where Papa Pillman is coming from since Angle did so much before TNA but you have to remember that most guys doing what Angle did wouldn't have worked so hard in TNA as they were already a name and could coast on their reputation. Just 2 recent examples - look how both Sting and Joe got in much better shape for wwe than TNA. Not saying they didn't work hard in TNA but what was stopping them from doing that earlier? Look at Hogan - came into TNA and then had a bunch of surgeries and was barely on the shows. Obviously health comes first but he was there for the money. Angle has always put in 100% in TNA. He also has worked with everyone and anyone. He hasn't been afraid to lose a match and didn't have to be the center of every storyline. And from a wrestling perspective, damn that guy can still go. I would put Roode at a close second but I think Angle was the man in TNA and still is.

Man.. Let me break it down for you.. KURT ANGLE ain't the greatest wrestler in TNA history alone Pal. He is the GREATEST wrestler in the history of PRO WRESTLING business brother. I mean he is an OLYMPIC GOLD MEDALIST dude. No one can just beat that for sure. He will surely be there in my top ten greatest of all time list..Oh its TRUE man...Its damn TRUE..

I agree with this 100%.

Kurt Angle has done more for TNA than any other wrestler (except maybe AJ Styles) without a shadowof a doubt. I have huge respectfr Kurt for putting his body through what he had, even with the severe injuries that he's suffered over the years. Him coming to TNA initially was a huge deal, and he could have rested on his auels and done the bare minimum, living off his name value as so many others have done but Kurt Angle isn't one of those guys. He's had amazing matches and great feuds with so many people in TNA, and is still putting on top quality matches to this day.

While his greatest work was not with TNA, he is undeniably the biggest thing they have had going for them since he has been there. It was a little hard to watch him compete when you knew he was struggling, pushing himself too hard and facing addiction issues, but when he's been healthy he has been entertaining as heck. He is my fave wrestler of all time.

I'm relatively new to being a TNA viewer than some of the rest of you, but it's hard to argue with Angle being the greatest in the company's history. He had a nice cache coming into TNA being an Olympic champion and multi-time world champion with WWF/E. Cases can be made for AJ Styles and Bobby Roode, but with the signing of Angle I think TNA become more well-known as a promotion. That's beside the point though. I don't think I've seen a better all around wrestler than Kurt Angle in my lifetime. If he's not the greatest in TNA history, he's certainly top 2 easy.

I'm not the biggest Angle fan, but I can't deny that he puts in work. All of his matches are highly entertaining. That match with Austin Aries was the stuff legends are made of. He leaves it in the ring every match. His matches with Lashley were epic. I can't wait to see his matches with EC3. Too bad Kurt will have to job to the young upcomer, but Angle isn't a whiney biatch like John Cena. Cena is a glory hog who loves the spotlight. I'm one of those people shouting "Cena sucks" at WWE matches. Kurt just continues to put in work, even when he was injured and in pain. Kudos to Mr. Angle!

I'll never forget the time I tuned in to watch TNA and Kurt Angle had ALL the belts in the company, including the tag team belts. I can't see that playing out ever again in any promotion. His feud with Jeff Jarrett with Jeff taking over Angles wife was excellent...they had three five star matches spanning three or four PPVs. Best feud I've seen in TNA besides Beer Money and Motor City Machine Guns.

I really can't see how there could possibly be any debate as to whether or not Kurt Angle is the greatest wrestler in TNA history. In fact, I would respectfully suggest that this is the case and that it's not even close. I mean, he has a history in TNA which is pretty much as long, if not longer, than that he experienced in WWE. He has held pretty much all of the titles, multiple times. He's been heel, he's been face. He's been active and inactive. He is terrific in the ring, equally adept on the mic, and he's been loyal to the company until the bitter end (which unfortunately seems to have arrived). He could have been making fistfuls of cash on the grandest stage of them all, yet he has chosen to ply his trade in the smaller venues of TNA. Frankly, he's the best they have ever had and by quite a wide margin.

AJ Styles, with all due respect, has the charisma of a wet sponge. Great in the ring, and I'd love to see him in the WWE to really see how good he truly is, but you can't be the best ever with zero charisma. Same argument can be made for Samoa Joe, who was poorly utilized for the greater portion of his TNA tenure. Guys like Sting, Hogan, etc., have spent the twilight saga of their careers in TNA; Angle has been there at the peak of his career. Guys like Austin Aries, Bobby Roode, James Storm, and a handful of others are great talent who would do well under the suitable guidance of NXT, but let's be (damn) real, none of them come close to Kurt Angle. Jeff Hardy could get some consideration, but too much behind the scenes drama (not to say that Angle has exactly been squeaky clean by no means) and not enough longevity to qualify as the best ever.

It goes without saying, Kurt Angle is the best wrestler in TNA history. I'm not quite sure if this is exactly setting the bar all that high, or how much of a claim to fame this truly represents. After all, Doug Flutie was probably one of the greatest quarterbacks in CFL history who did well in a smaller organization, but not so much on the big stage. Angle is by a mile the biggest fish in the little pond. It's unfortunate that he didn't spend longer in the ocean, with the bigger fish, to see where he would truly be amongst the best of the best. And regardless of where all of the recent TNA/GFW drama will lead, I doubt we will get any further opportunity to find out, as it appears as if that door has been slammed shut.

Kurt Angle is probably the greatest wrestler in TNA history. He has title reigns, excellent matches, and numerous PPV main events on his record.

However, there's one problem I have with considering Angle to be the greatest wrestler in TNA history - he had a better career in WWE!

This is why I can't take TNA seriously. Where's their homegrown talent? It's just a minor complaint though. Angle is still the best in their history.

Nope. I gotta disagree. Habs said AJ Styles had the charisma of a wet sponge and A) So does Spongebob, look how fucking great he's doing. And B) This is about "the best wrestler in TNA". That man is AJ Styles. What's Kurt done as a wrestler in TNA? A main event talent from day 1 who for a period of time was the veteran putting over younger guys. That was until a massive exodus and an insane network made him the top of the promotion again.

What's AJ Styles done as a professional wrestler? Well, he established the X Division from day one. He had a notable tag team period which included a major feud with LAX. He headlined early TNA shows as World Champion. He went back to the midcard and made the X Division the center of TNA from 2004 to 2006. He became the center of the midcard from 2007 to 2011. He was face. He was a comedy heel. He was an evil heel. He was a coward heel. He had a fast paced spectacle with Joe and Daniels. He had an amazing dramatic conflict with Abyss. He dived off an arena several times. He was Powerbombed off a stage. He flipped in Ultimate X. Whether he was fighting with Kaz for Ric Flairs attention or headlining Bound For Glory in an insane brawl with Bully Ray, AJ is the one to truly do it all for TNA.

Kurt Angle, for as great as he is, for the stuff he did, it does not scratch the surface of what AJ Styles did for and in TNA.

There's really no debate about it. Kurt Angle is TNA's greatest wrestler of all time. His title records, ppv main events and numerous 4/5 star matches are unmatched. The fact that Angle is the first and only guy to hold every title in TNA at once just proves how great he is.

AJ styles is the ONLY person that comes even close to Angle, but Styles never really dethrone him. Were Angle was always in the main event dominating Styles was more in the background wondering around. Heck Styles spent a year and a half being a lacky for Angle(and Christian). For me AJ's most memorable feuds are against Joe/Daniels and Angle. While Kurt has had memorable feuds with the likes of Sting, Jarrett, Desmond Wolf, Anderson, Joe, and the list goes on.
I personally would take Styles, Hardy, and Joe over Angle any day but there's no denying Angle's much deserved success in TNA.

AJ Styles vs Kurt Angle on Hulk Hogans first night in charge was also an epic match on TNA , a PPV worthy special-move \ false finish fest. Both refused to lose and kicked out of each others finishers multiple times , and I think Roode was the Champ at this time so they were basically putting on a show for a new Hogan TNA Era.

Nope. I gotta disagree. Habs said AJ Styles had the charisma of a wet sponge and A) So does Spongebob, look how fucking great he's doing. And B) This is about "the best wrestler in TNA". That man is AJ Styles. What's Kurt done as a wrestler in TNA? A main event talent from day 1 who for a period of time was the veteran putting over younger guys. That was until a massive exodus and an insane network made him the top of the promotion again.

What's AJ Styles done as a professional wrestler? Well, he established the X Division from day one. He had a notable tag team period which included a major feud with LAX. He headlined early TNA shows as World Champion. He went back to the midcard and made the X Division the center of TNA from 2004 to 2006. He became the center of the midcard from 2007 to 2011. He was face. He was a comedy heel. He was an evil heel. He was a coward heel. He had a fast paced spectacle with Joe and Daniels. He had an amazing dramatic conflict with Abyss. He dived off an arena several times. He was Powerbombed off a stage. He flipped in Ultimate X. Whether he was fighting with Kaz for Ric Flairs attention or headlining Bound For Glory in an insane brawl with Bully Ray, AJ is the one to truly do it all for TNA.

Kurt Angle, for as great as he is, for the stuff he did, it does not scratch the surface of what AJ Styles did for and in TNA.

Spongebob's doing great? I doubt. He used to do great is a better argument. Nevermind, this is about the best wrestler TNA had/has. Sure AJ has done the most in TNA. He has had each and every title that matters. Kurt Angle is undoubtedly the best. Anyhow, Angle was on the top of promotion more often and which is the only thing that matters akin to Punk-Cena situation. Punk was a better wrestler. But, Cena is "greater".

What's Angle done? He held all the titles simultaneously putting talent over whenever needed. He has been a world champ for numerous times. When you stop and look back at Angle's carrier, you won't find much flaws. And the biggest thing that makes him the greatest TNA wrestler is longevity. AJ left the company but, Kurt is still aligned to the company even in the dying years. He didn't work any fast paced encounter but, he did work a lot of spectacles. He has played each type of character too. As someone pointed out, his WWE carrier was better but, that doesn't mean his TNA career wasn't legendary.

AJ Styles does come closer but, Kurt still stands out.

Spongebob's doing great? I doubt. He used to do great is a better argument. Nevermind, this is about the best wrestler TNA had/has. Sure AJ has done the most in TNA. He has had each and every title that matters. Kurt Angle is undoubtedly the best. Anyhow, Angle was on the top of promotion more often and which is the only thing that matters akin to Punk-Cena situation. Punk was a better wrestler. But, Cena is "greater".

What's Angle done? He held all the titles simultaneously putting talent over whenever needed. He has been a world champ for numerous times. When you stop and look back at Angle's carrier, you won't find much flaws. And the biggest thing that makes him the greatest TNA wrestler is longevity. AJ left the company but, Kurt is still aligned to the company even in the dying years. He didn't work any fast paced encounter but, he did work a lot of spectacles. He has played each type of character too. As someone pointed out, his WWE carrier was better but, that doesn't mean his TNA career wasn't legendary.

AJ Styles does come closer but, Kurt still stands out.

Longevity? You realize AJ has been in TNA for 11 of its 13 years while Kurt has been around for less than 9 right? Kurt went to TNA because of the hype around it. Guess who built up that hype. The then 3 time World Champion. 3 time Tag Team Champion and 6 time X Division Champion. Kurta still not close to that amount of title. And as far as putting over talent? AJ put over an entire division of wrestlers. A good chunk of which went on to better things. Who has Kurt put over that AJ didn't get an equal or better match out of? Anderson. And that's it. AJ put over Bully Ray, LAX, Daniels, Joe, Sabin, Abyss, Hardy, Morgan, Kazarian and on and on.

I would have to disagree there. If you base yourself especially on the number of great matches in TNA, AJ Styles got him beat. There's never been somone as talented wrestlers in TNA as AJ Styles. He's the guy that made me want to stick with this company the moment I saw him in 2002. The final for the first X Division title against Jerry Lynn changed my view of what wrestling should be, how it had evolved. And I still view it as the finest pro wrestling match in the post 2000.

Angle was already a top guy when he came to TNA, he'd headlined Wrestlemania etc and was still in good shape. I still think Samoa Joe and AJ Styles are the greatest two guys TNA "produced" in the sense they weren't household names before they joined the company.

In light of Angle working his final match for TNA that aired on last night’s episode of IMPACT, I’m bumping this thread for relevance.

My opinion hasn’t changed since I posted this. He’s far and away the most important wrestler in TNA’s history. More than Sting. More than Hardy. More than Styles.

Styles runs a very, very, very close second IMO, but Angle kept this company alive for the last decade, through three television contracts and at least four creative regime changes, all the while never losing his own character along the way (the same can’t be said of AJ, great as he was).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back