Judgment Day: Rey Mysterio vs. Chris Jericho

Rusty

Is hanging up the boots

Holy shit, I'm pumped for this match. I predicted it would take place at Wrestlemania 25 without any titles on the line, but alas I was wrong and instead the WWE made the terrible decision to put Jericho in a Handicap match and have Mysterio beat JBL in under 30 seconds. This match is for the Intercontinental Title. That's right folks, for the IC Title on a damn pay per view involving two credible superstars who are both former World Champions.

I'm calling it right now, this match will steal the show. Fuck, I may even download Judgment Day this year because the card looks that great. This should have been the Wrestlemania card, with the addition of the Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels of course. These two will work great together and I love both of these superstars. Smackdown is really fresh right now, and dare I say but this feud seems on par with the Jeff Hardy vs Edge match for the World Title, which is saying a lot. I don't even care who wins this, because I'm just pumped for the exciting match will we hopefully see.

But if I were to guess, I'd say Mysterio retains here only because I think Jericho is above the Intercontinental Title at this stage of his career and they might as well give Mysterio a decent reign with the belt.

What are your thoughts on this blockbuster matchup?

Wait, this is for the IC Title? If so, I'm so pumped.
They wanted to make the title more credible. This is the way to do it. If Jericho wins it, the last three holders will be world champs. That's amazing.

Even if it's a singles match, it'll still be great.

I can't wait.

Finally! .... The WWE Intercontinental Championship returns to PPV. It's about time the WWE brought creditibilty back to the Championship, I see big things for the title on Smackdown - plenty of talent for Mysterio to feud over it with IMO, and he should have nice long run.

Also, the US TITLE picture is looking pretty snazzy right now. Watching Raw this past week, they actually seem to care about the midcard titles again - and with all this push for the younger stars to BREAKTHROUGH, wow, I'm impressed, I think this will be a good year for WWE.

Mysterio/Jericho will steal the show, hands down, Mysterio retains :)

hopefully mysterio pick up the clean win here.
jericho wants to start a storyline with rey so i see him having no problem putting rey over clean in the 1st match.

mysterio and jericho should pull off a good match here some good high flying spots.

it should also give the ic a bit more prestige and credability if they fued over it for a few months with jericho winning the title and facing off against each other in a title vs mask match hopefully, and mysterio keeping the mask.

Totally agree, this match could steal the show. You have two of the best workers in the company going head to head for a title, and hopefully leading into a nice feud between the two. Jericho has pissed off everyone on Smackdown so far and Rey gets the first proper shot at him.

I hope Rey and Jericho have plenty of time to make a proper feud. When Jericho is involved, a feud is gold. This is the match I will be most looking forward to on the card and I really want to see Rey win, showing what an unbelievable job Jericho is doing.

I agree with most, awesome match and idea. If i read correctly on other sites Jericho approached management requesting a feud with Rey (not just a match). I hope this is true as a long feud where they both have some level of creative control (which i think jericho has and earned with his michaels feud where the two of them came up with most of it themselves).

The match itself could and should be awesome, I only hope they give them a good 15 minutes match. They could do an angle like rey had with eddie years ago where Jericho thinks he's better but rey keeps stealing wins out and let them go at it throughout the spring and summer with Jericho winning the last match of the feud but Rey winning all up to that point!

Also, at some point i'd have jericho cost Rey the ic title at some point a couple months down the line, either in a match on smackdown or one of the lesser ppv (like night of champions, maybe against someone like shelton or dolph), that way we'd get a great match and hopefully a long awesome feud with Rey/Jericho ............... (Remember as their feud was getting started last year HBK cost Jericho the IC title agian Kofi at night of champions)

This is a GREAT MATCH!!!

I don't mind seeing them feud for a few months!!! Actually, I would like this to be 1 of the 2 main feuds on SMACKDOWN!!!

This feud will GREATLY ELEVATE the IC TITLE!!!

With 2 FORMER WORLD CHAMPS fighting over the IC TITLE, it's a WIN-WIN!!!

After this feud ends, I want Jericho to challenge for the World Title at Summerslam!!!!!

Well these guys have faced in the past, just never on WWE TV (to my knowledge), but regardless, a Jericho feud will always be gold, he's got some to remember for the ages, and this one will be no different.

I think Mysterio will get the win to get the feud up and running, but should be a great match nonetheless. I think it's great the IC belt is on the line, but I don't want to get my hopes up yet until they make it a more important matter in the feud, but it's the start of something.

I'm really hoping this plays out well. Jericho and Mysterio are both incredible workers, and the beginnings of this feud have been laid out well (though not very vocal). I've never been a fan of Mysterio's promos, but Jericho's are gold, so that more than makes up for it. The heel should do all the talking anyway.

However, I really hope they make this feud over the title. The IC title deserves some attention, as does the US title. RAW got my hopes up for the first time in a while for the US belt. MVP, Hardy, Kofi, and Regal could be put in a 4-way for that belt soon. With Mysterio feuding with Jericho for a while, I could see some really quality matchups in the midcard on PPV for months to come.

One thing that really spikes my interest level is what will this match lead to at Extreme Rules (whatever they are calling it now) on PPV in a month or so. Mysterio/Jericho in a gimmick match that plays to their strengths could be a really exciting matchup.

This is the best thing about this feud. Rey debuted in the WWE on SD!. Right around that time Jericho jumped to RAW where he has been ever since. When Rey spent one year on RAW he and Jericho almost never (if at all) crossed pathes. With them both being drafted to SD! this is the first time in over a DECADE since they were both in WCW that these two have been allowed to feud.

How many potential feuds are there between two great talents that are legitimately brand new attractions in the WWE?

I don't see this feud being as epic as HBK/Jericho but I do see it being one that will last for a while. I wouldn't be shocked to see these two still going at it at Summerslam. As far as Judgment Day goes I see Rey picking up the win since it's for the IC title and Jericho will eventually cost him the belt on SD! so the feud can continue. Heck, throw these guys in with Edge and/or Punk in a World title match at a PPV just to keep it going.

Rey/Jericho at Judgment Day seems like just the tip of this feud's iceberg and I for one can't wait to watch it evolve every step of the way.

This match will undoubtedly end in some kind of disqualification. Jeritron does not need (nor should he want) the IC Title and I don't think they would have Rey go over Jericho. But Jericho winning cleanly is more plausible than Jericho winning cleanly.

Consensus: DQ.

The updated card does not say it is for the ic title or am i missing something... if it is not for the title they are just ruining the prestige of the belt a little more.

I haven't watched any WWE since the draft, but I'm not stupid enough to think this will be a bad match. It'll be a damn good one, and if booked right, will steal the show. I personally liked both of these men better during their stay in ECW, and WCW, but they still have some talent, and will "wow" almost every fan in the building.

What pisses me off about this, is that this is the feud surrounding my title in my Book This, and now I'll need to try and one-up this...Fucking wonderful...

This looks like a freakin awesome match. I hope this feud continues for a while (especially if its true that it will involve some possible demasking). This is one first step to returning credibility to the IC title and its a fresh feud. Im pumped for judgement day. I think Rey will win cauing Jericho to get frustrated that he can't beat mysterio. He'll go on a rant how rey hides behind his masks to pander to the crowd and the little kids wearing his masks. Something to that effect. Like i said im pumped.

And just for the record, the rey/JBL match at WM25 was AWESOOOOOOOOME!!!!!! I was there and rey beating JBL in less than 30 seconds was sweet. And for those who argue that a 30 second match further destroyed the credibility of the IC title i say this:
Any credibility the IC title had was destroyed when JBL won the title.

That's right folks, for the IC Title on a damn pay per view involving two credible superstars who are both former World Champions.
You know, JBL-Mysterio had to the same things... But I digress.

I'm pumped for this. Props to Jericho for suggesting this fued. It's shocking that Rey had been in the WWE since 2002 and this rivalry has yet to be done in this company. Their matches in the past have been dandy and I expect no different here. I don't expect this to be the end, though. This is a first-ever match in the WWE to the best of my recollection, and I can't imagine it being their last.

As for the winner... I don't know. Nor can I imagine who I'll be supporting. But I do agree with the poster who said the addition of this makes this PPV pretty loaded. Not to mention this is the second first-time in the WWE match offered by the SmackDown brand without them going out of their way to push people too fast. I'm very impressed with that brand.

This is gonna be a great match. Is it just me, or does smackdown seem to be the more entertaining brand right now?? I can't friggin wait until they do a storyline with jericho and edge. Anyway, yes, this will be a very good fued because of 2 things....the first one being each persons ability. They are both very fun to watch in the ring. Next is Jerichos ability to create very good long term storylines and keep them interesting and his mic work as well. Looks like Raw is the #2 brand now!

YES! FUCK YES!! I can't believe they're giving us this match-up on Judgment Day, but I can only hope it carries over for at least another series of match-ups that include, but aren't limited to John Morrison as well.

Jericho and Mysterio, fighting over the Intercontinental Championship is actually what all 3 of these entities needed. Mysterio was in desperate need of an opponent (similar to Edge) who could help push him to being the Mysterio that the Company wanted upon hiring him.

Jericho needed someone to keep up with, similar to the speed of Shawn Michaels, but not less talented. And finally, the Intercontinental title needed two credible Superstars to feud back and forth over it. All entities got what they needed, now it's just the chemistry's job to make it work like we all know it can.

I'm sure the die-hard W.C.W fanatics will recall the amazing matches these two have put on back then. Well, if I were you.. I'd knock that shit off right now. Neither man is the same as they were in W.C.W. Mysterio isn't as quick, and Jericho is actually better. This contest won't be the same, but that doesn't mean it'll be horrible.

If anything, I'm calling this as the match of the night, right now. It's too tough to call a winner in this contest as well. I can't see Jericho winning the title, but with Morrison apparently being a face, it could serve Jericho well (or rather Morrison) to give the title to a heel, to feud with future faces. Either way, thank you W.W.E.. this is the match I've awaited since both men were in the same Company again.

Looks like I might actually buy this PPV then, then again.. When I ordered Wrestlemania last month my Sky Plus box wouldn't let me record it, and the useless fools at Sky tech support were no help so I missed most of the event having spent £15 ordering the fucking thing!

This could be a very good match. Personally Ive waited a long time to see these two face off again! With the mask more than likely being a factor in this feud, dont be surprised if Jericho tries to take it off during the match to distract him and hit the Code Breaker for the win. This will be the beginning of a nice feud I hope. Let these two take the ball and roll with it here. Possible match of the night here.

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww DAYUM !!!! Well, I said friday, if this lead to a feud, or matches between them, i would vomit from the greatness. Well, I JUST DID.

This is gonna be motherfucking damn fantastic. Both guys never fail to deliver, and this should be MOTN, and a possible MOTY. As for the winner, Im not sure how it will go. Jericho needs the IC title just about as much as Rey needs it, if ya know what I mean. Its not like WWE would attempt a heel-heel rivalry for the WHC. So I find it entirely plausable that Jericho will win this match, or Rey could find a way. Hey, that ryhmed. either way, should be fantastic, and I couldnt be more pumped.

What's messed up...10 years ago, this would be the MOTY. And now? STILL MOTY potential. You have the most over heel in the company against THE babyface of the WWE. Rey Rey is the latino hero whilst Jericho hates anything evers.

But seriously, I can see Jericho winning this belt, bringing it some prestige and possibly having a feud with Morrison. I think I just came. Whoops. But I look for this to possibly steal the show. What? I said steal the show. WHAT? STEAL THE SHOW? WHAT?

Nothing but great things and this will probably open the show, too. :D

Ugh. Leave it to Rey to mess things up.

According to the main site, Rey was injured during the Superstars tapings. He'll apparently still be able to compete on Sunday, but one has to wonder if the match will be as good as it should have been.

I have a feeling that, depending on the severeness of the injury, Jericho might go over.

Although I have always been a bigger fan of WWF/WWE, these two used to put on amazing matches for WCW while they were younger and Rey was smaller (hmm I wonder why?) Their matches are the only ones I can think of where when they botched something as long as neither of them got hurt, it looked better than most of the crap at the time, or now. Granted this comes from a man who has met Chris Irvine (Jericho) and thought that despite signing autographs for the previous two hours and being tired, was a really cool guy and a great story teller. Any way I agree with the original writer of this thread who said that this match will probably steal the show on Sunday which will be good considering the Orton Batista and Big Slow I do not wanna see Cena match will prove that the writers need to come up with something new. Cena is a poor man's version of the Rock who is just a product of Vince's ability to make shmucks stars (Ultimate Warrior anyone). Anyway I hope that these two continue their ability to show why WCW went down the toilet, listening to people like Nash and Hogan whom keeping great young wrestlers down. Thank you for reading my rant!!!!

I don't know if Rey Mysterio injuring his knee will mess up what will be a great match that much. I'm looking forward to this match and if Mysterio has hurt his knee badly, then Jericho will win the title and hopefully have a meaningful Intercontinental Title reign but I don't think he will. A feud with Morrison would be great but I don't know about after that because I don't see Punk or Umaga contending for it anytime soon.

This match actually does not appeal to me that much. I'm a fan of Jericho, but not so much for Rey. Maybe if he didn't talk spanish in his promos (how about translating ALL the time, as opposed to sometimes?) anyways.... let's see here. This match seems to be for the IC title. I prefer Jericho, but I think he is above the midcard belts BUT being able to say he got it 9 times would be pretty impressive.

Dagger Dias prediction: JERICHO
_

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back