John Morrison in Talks with TNA

It's Damn Real!

The undisputed, undefeated TNA &
This from TNAInsider, via The Sports Courier:

"Wrestling is a business and TNA is like a really cool startup company. I’ve talked to several people in their organization and I’m looking forward to hearing more about what they have to say. It’s business, brother. If they got some cool ideas and some cool stuff going on, then of course I’m going to hear what they have to say.”

You can also hear it directly from the horses mouth around the 26:00 mark here:

[YOUTUBE]00QExuqvlNs[/YOUTUBE]

--

The discussion over JoMo to TNA has been one that's been had quite a few times, but with much more concrete evidence of the fact the two sides are in fact talking, it's worth having this discussion again.

Maybe Morrison really believes what he's saying and maybe not. Obviously, in the middle of negotiations, Morrison isn't gonna say anything upsetting or negative about TNA. Ultimately, what it's gonna come down to is whether or not he & TNA can come together on money. Not long after Morrison left WWE, I remember reading that his fee out on the indie circuit was $3,000 per appearance. Based on another report I read several years back, that's what Ken Anderson was said to be making per appearance in TNA.

If Morrison signs, there'll be the usual reaction I suppose in which some will proclaim JoMo's greatness, some will be cautiously optimistic, some will wait & see what happens before giving a thumbs up or thumbs down and some will go the route of "great, another WWE reject".

While I was never a fan of Morrison, I know he had a following of sorts in WWE (I think). He would make a decent mid-card guy, or could be paired up with someone for a tag team. But I hope that he's not asking for an insane amount of money.

John morrison would be great on tna, but if tna is slow to be paying wrestler's they already have then why bring more on? john morrison should just resign in the wwe, work back up, train your way back to the mid card, have a mid card title run, and work on the mic skill's. john morrison is great he just need's work to be a main eventer, jo mo should not sign tna, however if he does i'll be happy i love john morrison and he would add on for tna's great roster. i just hope they don't put john morrison in a horrible gimmick.

The guy is talented. The guy is a star. JOMO can carry your promotion. It would be a great move if TNA can sign him.

No he can't. The day a guy like Morrison is carrying your promotion is the day your promotion is dead in the water. He has a level of talent, certainly, but I question how big a "star" he is or can be, and I seriously question claims like the one you just made about him being able to carry a company.

If that statement is appended to something like "JOMO can carry your promotion... if you aren't the #1 or #2 televised wrestling syndicate in North America and most of the world", I'll have a much easier time swallowing that pill.

I hope Morrison signs with TNA. I always liked him in WWE. He would be great in the X Division and could even work in the World Title scene. Hopefully with it appearing that TNA is heading back to the Impact Zone they might have some extra money to bring some new (to TNA) guys in. I would love to see him have matches with Styles and Aries.

No he can't. The day a guy like Morrison is carrying your promotion is the day your promotion is dead in the water. He has a level of talent, certainly, but I question how big a "star" he is or can be, and I seriously question claims like the one you just made about him being able to carry a company.

If that statement is appended to something like "JOMO can carry your promotion... if you aren't the #1 or #2 televised wrestling syndicate in North America and most of the world", I'll have a much easier time swallowing that pill.

I disagree. The guy is talented and if he entered TNA today, would probably be the most over guy on the roster. He is recognizable with wrestling fans, WWE fans and general fans from his days at tough enough.

I think he can carry TNA. His look, style, charisma. He's looks like a star. It seemed like the WWE was poise at giving him a push but for whatever reason it did not happen.

I think JOMO is gold.

I disagree. The guy is talented and if he entered TNA today, would probably be the most over guy on the roster. He is recognizable with wrestling fans, WWE fans and general fans from his days at tough enough.

I think he can carry TNA. His look, style, charisma. He's looks like a star. It seemed like the WWE was poise at giving him a push but for whatever reason it did not happen.

I think JOMO is gold.

Gotta Disagree with you. Jomo is just another flippy floppy X division guy. Without the WWE machine behind him he's nothing. He's been gone from WWE for about 2 years now and few people have really missed him. You'd get a few good X division matches out of him, but that's it. He doesn't have enough star power to bring in a significant number of new viewers.

There are roughly 2 million people who watch RAW each week but don't watch impact. How many of those 2 million are going to start watching Impact because John Morrison is signed?

What can he do that TNA couldnt get an Indy guy to do for less money?

I think JOMO is gold.

Yeah he's recognisable. Yes he has looks, style and charisma. But (no offence to the guy) it's the generic kind.

I like John Morrision and I think he's a great wrestler but the look, style and charisma you mentioned has been knocking around for ages. Everyone's attempted it at some point. Don't get me wrong he'd be an asset but he wouldn't be THE asset. He's the Poison/Warrant of wrestling. Perfectly good in his own right. Has a good fanbase. But ultimately nothing that sticks out.

I honestly don't see the difference between John Morrison and Jeff Hardy. They're both extremely talented in the ring and extremely limited on the mic. Jeff is insanely more over, yes, but that's because of opportunity and circumstance, not because he has some sort of quality that John Morrison is lacking. If Jeff Hardy can carry a company, so can Morrison under the right circumstances.

No Morrison is not "The Guy" material, but he's worth signing. Morrison receives a bad rap for being an acrobatic spot monkey, who can only do flashy flips, but before he parted ways with WWE, Morrison was starting to come into his own. His feud with Sheamus was amazing, and their ladder match at TLC 2010 is a legit MOTY contender. Plus, I remember Morrison having a pretty good match with Miz for the WWE Championship on Raw during a New Year's episode.

One big problem with Morrison in WWE was his futuristic hipster character. It was beyond stale. The big fury coats, his slow motion entrance with pyro, the sunglasses, everything. TNA could give Morrison a much needed fresh start, and like him or not, Morrison has some worthy name value.

I think JOMO is gold.

be the face of tna? no dont think so, be in the upper eschlon....likely..

it was no secret and reported multiple times what happened with him and wwe. melina basically fucked him over because of what she was doing and morrison didnt stand up to her. multiple stories broke about how vince was very displeased with how jomo handled melina. if you look at the history, look at everytime melina got in trouble then look at the outcome of what happened to morrison. it was said vince lost all respect for jomo when the batista story broke as jomo didnt say 1 word to batista, nor break up with melina he just took it and continued. eventually that heat finally came off of him and he started to get pushed again, then melina pulled the stunt with trish which jomo stupidly backed her and that was the last straw.

i believe it was said jomo would be welcomed back in wwe asap and likely with a push if/once he got away from melina

This would be pretty big for TNA if they can afford him. He's a known commodity and a darn good worker. Yeah, he's limited on the mic but he's a star and he looks like a star.

That said, cut the nonsense of "he'd fit in great in the X-Division". You don't take a starting NFL running back and make him a special teamer in the AFL if he leaves. If he's good enough to start in the big leagues, he's good enough to start in the second biggest league. If he's not at or near the main event in TNA, he's being misused, period.

This would be pretty big for TNA if they can afford him. He's a known commodity and a darn good worker. Yeah, he's limited on the mic but he's a star and he looks like a star.

That said, cut the nonsense of "he'd fit in great in the X-Division". You don't take a starting NFL running back and make him a special teamer in the AFL if he leaves. If he's good enough to start in the big leagues, he's good enough to start in the second biggest league. If he's not at or near the main event in TNA, he's being misused, period.

i think hell be used like aries,joe,styles..........while they spend time outside the xdivision they can still come back in. but no i dont think hell be stuck in the division like guys manic,king ect ect

i think hell be used like aries,joe,styles..........while they spend time outside the xdivision they can still come back in. but no i dont think hell be stuck in the division like guys manic,king ect ect

If you debut the guy in the division, he's misused right off the bat. Then you are telling people that's the way you see him. He's a pretty big star. Debut him big or you've wasted an opportunity. I mean, would you signed Robinson Cano and use him as a utility infielder?

He isn't with Melina anymore and last time he was in talks with TNA he reportedly had said he and Melina were a package deal. Supposedly they didn't want her so he didn't sign with them. If the reports were true and that's what held things up it could be more probable that he will sign now.

I liked him when he was in WWE so if he signed with TNA then I would be happy. He could probably have some cool matches with some guys already on the roster.

Hes the 90's Jeff Hardy in a fur coat.

Thats not a bad thing though. He is definitely worth signing. Hes fairly decent in the ring and anyone from WWE is an asset to TNA because they are trained for the mic and TNA needs good talkers and people who can carry a story line.

Is he going to carry a promotion? Dont be stupid.

I like JoMo. I think there's potential for him to grow.

We've seen TNA reintroduce familiar wrestlers in a new manner and give them a new life. In the bush leagues, but it's fresh.

I wanna see if they can do that with JoMo. He's athletic, he has a look, some fanbase, fairly young. Case and point: he can go.

I'd love to see him in TNA, out of curiosity. He's definite X-Division material and I see no reason why he can't be a TNA World Champion in the future. If Sabin can - anyone can.

Lovely news.

I think Morrison is one of the guys that COULD be a long-term top star in TNA, one of the faces of the promotion. He has the look and the in-ring talent to do so, as well as name value from his WWE run.

However, in WWE he never quite kicked on to the next level like I, and many others expected him to do. He was good, but not great. He never reallllly mastered the mic which is always a necessity if you want to be the main guy in a wrestling promotion. There always seemed to be the potential with him, and it seemed that WWE WANTED to push him but they never fully pulled the trigger on him because of the skills he was lacking.

I don't know whether he has improved is mic work in his time away from WWE, but I hope he has as he is young enough and good enough in the ring to make a real impact in TNA. I do hope they sign him, he is definitely one of the few ex-WWE guys out there who could come in and make a genuine contribution to the improvement of the program. I'd like to see him work with Jeff Hardy again, and I think Morrison could have excellent matches with the likes of Austin Aries, AJ Styles, Christopher Daniels and Kurt Angle.

I think Morrison is one of the guys that COULD be a long-term top star in TNA, one of the faces of the promotion. He has the look and the in-ring talent to do so, as well as name value from his WWE run.

However, in WWE he never quite kicked on to the next level like I, and many others expected him to do. He was good, but not great. He never reallllly mastered the mic which is always a necessity if you want to be the main guy in a wrestling promotion. There always seemed to be the potential with him, and it seemed that WWE WANTED to push him but they never fully pulled the trigger on him because of the skills he was lacking.

I don't know whether he has improved is mic work in his time away from WWE, but I hope he has as he is young enough and good enough in the ring to make a real impact in TNA. I do hope they sign him, he is definitely one of the few ex-WWE guys out there who could come in and make a genuine contribution to the improvement of the program. I'd like to see him work with Jeff Hardy again, and I think Morrison could have excellent matches with the likes of Austin Aries, AJ Styles, Christopher Daniels and Kurt Angle.

These days, I'm hesitant to use the term "long-term top star" in regards to TNA for obvious reasons, but I would see John Morrison as being someone who could achieve success in the company if he were to decide to go there. I think he has sufficient in ring ability to be able to prosper in TNA. He has the look and the recognizability for success. He's a former WWE guy, something typically held in high regard by the folks at TNA. The only potential blemish against him is his supposed lack of charisma and mic skills, which is clearly of the utmost importance in TNA as evidenced by their newly crowned TNA World Heavyweight Champion, a guy who absolutely oozes charisma and is Heenan-esque on the stick :rolleyes:

I'm never one to be apocalyptic regarding Impact Wrestling, but at the very least, one would have to concede that things are a little shaky at the moment if a portion of the things we see and hear are accurate. This year's Bound for Glory did nothing to instill any confidence in me for their future. So I would be shocked to see a star of JoMo's calibre seriously consider crossing the line, which would likely involve burning bridges along the way. Especially when you consider that there's no bad blood (to my knowledge) between himself and WWE. I'd be hesitant if I were Morrison to potentially thwart any opportunity at returning to the bigs, to take a shot at an organization which appears to be in a certain amount of disarray.

I really hope this happens. TNA might be more likely to push Morrison properly than WWE did. He should have gotten the bigger push when his tag team with Miz split up and should also have held the World Heavyweight Championship. I place emphasis on the word MIGHT when I said he might be pushed more properly in TNA. They do have a tendency to mess up on their booking with results that leave fans scratching their heads.

When he shows up he should make a name for himself in the X Division like Austin Aries did by dominating in there for a good while. That, or maybe form a good tag team as that division is in need of some names. When the time is right, he should enter the TNA World Championship scene. If he joins the federation there is a good chance he may win his first world title there. He's got the skills needed for it. His in-ring ability is underrated and his mic skills are as well, especially if he is playing a heel. TNA World Heavyweight Champion John Morrison has a good ring to it. Heck, even TNA X Division Champion John Morrison does. I hope he joins.

These days, I'm hesitant to use the term "long-term top star" in regards to TNA for obvious reasons, but I would see John Morrison as being someone who could achieve success in the company if he were to decide to go there. I think he has sufficient in ring ability to be able to prosper in TNA. He has the look and the recognizability for success. He's a former WWE guy, something typically held in high regard by the folks at TNA. The only potential blemish against him is his supposed lack of charisma and mic skills, which is clearly of the utmost importance in TNA as evidenced by their newly crowned TNA World Heavyweight Champion, a guy who absolutely oozes charisma and is Heenan-esque on the stick :rolleyes:

I'm never one to be apocalyptic regarding Impact Wrestling, but at the very least, one would have to concede that things are a little shaky at the moment if a portion of the things we see and hear are accurate. This year's Bound for Glory did nothing to instill any confidence in me for their future. So I would be shocked to see a star of JoMo's calibre seriously consider crossing the line, which would likely involve burning bridges along the way. Especially when you consider that there's no bad blood (to my knowledge) between himself and WWE. I'd be hesitant if I were Morrison to potentially thwart any opportunity at returning to the bigs, to take a shot at an organization which appears to be in a certain amount of disarray.

I don't really think JoMo will burn his bridges with the WWE if he goes to TNA. TNA is not WCW. WWE is not in raging competition with them. It's not like the WWE keeps a list of people who "betrayed" them and as soon as they join TNA, McMahon declares them traitors that shall never be allowed back to the promised land.

RVD came to WWE straight from TNA. So did Jeff Hardy some years ago. Gail Kim was a big part of TNA's Knockouts Division and even some legends like DDP and Ricky Steamboat showed up there. Not to mention people like Ric Flair and Mick Foley.

Morrisson has nothing to be worried about. If the WWE doesn't want him back following a run with TNA, it will be because they simply don't see the point in having him, not because he joined a company that doesn't have a remote chance of being an actual competitor.

People forget that the WWE is a business, not The House of Lannister.

I'll ask again. What can Morrison do for TNA that they couldn't get an indy guy to do for less money?

He doesn't have star power. He won't bring in new viewers. How many people who don't watch TNA will start watching because they hear that he's there?

I'll ask again. What can Morrison do for TNA that they couldn't get an indy guy to do for less money?

He doesn't have star power. He won't bring in new viewers. How many people who don't watch TNA will start watching because they hear that he's there?

This attitude that some fans have is really making me scratch my head.

Why does every single signing have to be some magical wrestler who's a draw before the ink on his contract dries? Why are these your criteria of what a good signing is? You do realize that 99% of the employed wrestlers out there don't meet half the expectations you just listed, right? The 1% is John Cena and even he doesn't bring in new viewers, but you expect Marty McKnuckles from JPWHC Xtreme EleKtricity Attitude Wrestling based in North Scumfuck, Connecticut to be able to set the world on fire as soon as he steps into a ring.

If this is what you require of people when it comes to signing them, then TNA's roster will remain as it is for eons. How about this ...

Let's just be nuts for a second. Let's just assume that the purpose of a signing is not to revolutionize your company singlehandedly, but to add to the overall quality of the show with a few of this wrestlers' talents. Now, what are John's talents you may say? Well ...

1. He has a look. This is something plenty of Indy wrestlers simply do not have. Most of them look like they're starving (which is likely an accurate statement), they're generic looking, don't have the money for cool gear and you'd think they work at Target. Again, they probably do that too.

Morrisson looks like a star. He's flashy, he's recognizable, he has something going for himself. He's honed that in the WWE, which gives him an edge over any and all Indy guy that there is out there.

What does a look add to a wrestler? Credibility. Marketability. Wrestlers with specific looks find it easier to get over with the crowd and to get pushes. Jeff Hardy is a prime example and so are guys like Ultimate Warrior, Sting and even Steve Austin. Austin has generic features but he has a look.

Wrestlers with good looks are easily assimilated by the masses. However, we're talking about TNA so "masses" ain't really the proper terminology. Let's call us ... a wad of disgruntled ex-WWE fans. I think that's closer to the truth. Okay, so wrestlers with good looks are easily assimilated by the wad of disgruntled ex-WWE fans, a.k.a TNA fans. Wrestlers with looks are great! You can slap their face on a poster, on a TV ad, on a mug, on a hat, on a backpack, on a T-Shirt, on PJ's with feet. That shoe box jaw that Cena has ain't just for punchin'. Shit looks tight.

End of lesson one. Lesson two.

2. Morrisson is athletic and able in the ring. - I'm quite sure you'd name fifty six indy guys who can do triple hurricanrana chokeslam piledriver avalanche armbar armbar armbar hammer lock spiral tap pele kick off the top rope through a flaming table into a lava pit during rush hour, but nobody wants to see these people.

Before leaving the WWE, Morrisson had a thing going. He was doing his parkour stuff, he was doing daredevil stuff, he's always been very athletic and fun to watch. End of story. That's what he has. Another talent.

There may be a hundred guys out there who can do the same moves or same style, but it doesn't mean they have the same value as Morrisson, just as there are millions of people with Bachelor and Masters degrees, however that doesn't get them the job, the whole package does.

Here comes lesson number 3.

3. Simply put, Morrisson has the whole package and he's worked at it for years. - That is something most indy guys don't have. They either have just a look, just ability or just a tiny fanbase. JoMo has a look, ability, AND a fanbase to bring in, making him a better choice than any indy fuck out there.

Here's a little symbolism. Would you rather buy a 3 dollar cake that is quite tasty (but not the best you've ever had), or spend 1.50 on the ingredients, trying to make it yourself and taking the risk of fucking it up?

C'mon, Skittles. This is TNA. They ain't no world class bakers. Hitler could use an oven better than they can.

Too much? Okay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back