• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

John Cena - Red and Yellow... has a nice ring to it...

D-Man

Gone but never forgotten.
06588pi.jpg

After watching the Survivor Series last night, it appears that John Cena had donned some brand new merchandise. I'm sure that due to the fact that Degeneration X uses green as their primary colors and the fact that John Cena's merchandise has been of a similar color scheme, WWE management felt the need to differentiate Cena from his two opponents by dressing him in some new and improved orange and blue garb, donning the phrase "NEVER GIVE UP." Of course, Cena pointed to the shirt and plugged it during every chance that he got on camera, and I'm sure they'll be selling like hot cakes in no time. But, it got me thinking...

Let's face it... merchandise sales make up a good percentage of a wrestling promotion's annual revenue. Sometimes, a wrestler's colors become everything to them. Like mentioned above, it is damn near career suicide for Degeneration X to ever deviate from their neon-green color scheme. The Undertaker could never escape from dressing in black. And Hulk Hogan will always be synonomous for using his classic red and yellow. However...

What if the WWE decided to really take a shot at Hulk Hogan by dressing Cena up in Hogan's classic Red and Yellow scheme? Do you think there would be a major backlash? Would there be retalitation by Hogan in TNA? Would it just be a bad idea? Or just a phenomenal idea?

I don't know why, but I feel that this is a good subject to be addressed. Please give your thoughts here. And remember, no spamming, no drifting off-subject, and please don't turn the thread into a Cena and/or Hogan bashing thread! If you don't understand the thread rules, go back and read them before posting.

Happy posting!

UPDATE: Just so everyone here knows, I'm not stating that Cena's colors SHOULD change. I'm merely stating a "what if" scenerio. IF it happened, how would people react? Would there be a backlash? Would it be a good or bad idea?

I think its a great idea. I mean he is the Hogan of our time, his powerups, face of this generation, he just needs the colors. And I would venture to say that the 'E" wouldn't give a damn whether Hogan cared or not, nor would most of the fans. The IWC might have an issue but let's remember that the fans have been made up now of kids, who probably have no idea Hogan wrestled, only that he had his own show.

So I see as a great idea. Why not take a shot at Hogan with it and use the colors? Because if it ever did happen that would be WWE real reason for doing it. I would love to hear The reaction to it. Let them finish the New Hogan with his new colors- Red and Yellow.

If I'd watched Survivor Series I wouldn't have noticed. I'm sure it was suitably garish and almost as awful as Cena's punches.

Red & Yellow is synonymous with Hogan, but how long does it take to design and produce a range of wrestling shirts? I'm not sure, they could've been designed months ago. It possibly is a shot at Hogan, but it could also be that WWE are trying to liken Cena to Hogan my having him wear similar coloured shirts.

Hogan was one of WWE's biggest ever stars and I'm sure they'd like Cena to be as iconic and popular. Cena's just working himself through the rainbow. His next range will be green & blue. Similar colours to what Doink used to wear. Coincidence? I'm not so sure.

Edit: That's orange & blue! Did I read the thread wrong again?
Edit #2: Yes, I did read the thread wrong. Horrible shirt that.

No.

While that might get Vince a lot of pleasure, it wouldn't be fair to Cena. Cena isn't "the Hogan of this era." He's Cena. No more...no less. Just like Hogan is Hogan. Just like Austin is Austin. Just like Rock is Rock.

Cena needs to cement his own legacy...not be lowered because Vince has a vendetta or something against Hogan.

Furthermore, that would just be indicative that Vince is acknowledging a threat in TNA. I don't think he wants to start going there.

yeah i see what you mean. i like the shirt. it reminds me of hogan's never say die, never give up, eat your vitamins sort of thing. to be frank, i prefefr it to the baseball cap etc. survivor series was awesome and the triple threat. as for the merch, it will sell, like hot cakes as mentioned before, and if kids wear it , then the message may come through. BECAUSE NEVER GIVE UP GUYS !

I think Cena needs his own colors to shine. Actually it really doesn't matter what Cena wears because he will always get the same reaction. 70% cheers and 30% boos. He will still sell merchandise and be the WWE's top dog. I honestly think it would hurt Cena more then it would Hogan. Putting yellow and red on Cena trying to recapture something is like saying he's not over enough.

I wouldn't put it pass Vince though since both Vince and Hogan are Egomaniacs. Cena should have his own design. The blue and black was much better then this god awful orange and blue. Unless you're a gators' fan. The same can be said about green and yellow. He looked like a walking ad for John Deere tractors. Whether the fans like him or not Cena is Cena. You can't make someone into somebody else. Just like those failed attempts of the fake Razor Ramon and Diesel.

If Cena went to Red and Yellow I think it'll just make the boos louder...for a bit. But why does this matter? Cena doesn't need to attach himself to a set of colors. I've always liked the different classic, or retro if you prefer, tees and hats he comes up with. They're inventive and a great throwback to the things I grew up with. The green shirts n hats were A La John Deere, a trendy hat to wear nowadays. It ran it's course. Cena seems to switch up a couple times a year and this probably is just that. I hope he doesn't stick with the same color scheme but continues to bring new. It's one of the only things about his performance that isn't beat to death.

Red and yellow for John Cena...I don't think so. He would become more of a heel than he's been in a while, and Vince is still intent on shoving him down our throats as a face (mostly to sell merchandise, I'm sure). While it would strike me as something Vince would consider as a shot at Hogan, I don't think it pushes far enough.

If Vince really, and I mean REALLY wanted to get at Hogan by granting a current performer the red and yellow garb, why not give it to...oh, say, Chavo? Or Santino? On those guys, we'll know for sure it's a jab at Hogan, we'll probably find it funny, and Vince doesn't run the risk of changing one of his top faces into a top heel. This seems more like Vinnie Mac to me than changing Cena's colors.

On the slight side bar...The green/yellow/black thing, to me, was probably axed for three reasons. One: It's run it's course. As mentioned above, John Deere is kind of trendy today, so patterning Cena's entire look on that mold was a quick way to hawk some shirts. Two: DX heavily features green and black, and we didn't want too much green floating around in the ring. Three: Kofi! In the midst of what appears to be a huge push (I mean, he went clean over two former World/WWE Champions in about six seconds), the Kofi merchandise is about to start flying off the shelves. And what, pray tell, are Kofi's colors? Green and yellow! Cena is easy to repackage in terms of color scheme, so it makes sense to do that and let the green and yellow fall to Kofi so that Vince can get us to all buy even more merchandise.

I believe he has already cemented his legacy in the WWE. Cena held the WWE title longer than anyone including Macho Man from his Wrestlemania 4 title win. No one has held the title longer since Hogan held it for four years.

And in today's wrestling, Cena is my favorite and there is no need to put him in red and yellow. Next thing you'll be wanting him to wear yellow tights and boots with red knee pads and keep his hand to his ear. Let Cena be Cena and continue to carry the WWe like he has done fr the last couple years. Basically, who cares what colors Cena wore. Vince will not mention TNA what so ever and even if he does mention Hogan, not like he will ever mention his name associated with TNA. Thats not his style. I am not gonna read into what Cena wears on Raw or ppv. He is not Hogan, and Hogan dosent own the rights to what colors people wear. Cena is his own man and he is the man when it comes to WWe in todays world!!!

Personally, I would prefer that John Cena lose the jean shorts and wrestle in trunks or tights. I understood his using the jean shorts and sneakers when he was doing his "rapper" gimmick, as well as the use of a more "military" look when he was promoting the marine. Now it doesn't make sense. It's not like he's using his jean shorts to cover up knee braces (See Undertaker and Rey Mysterio).

So, assume that Vince wants to stick it to Hogan by creating a Hulkster ripoff.

So we need a heel who would work well with the original Red & Yellow, Real American say-your-prayers and eat-your-veggies (best to not mention vitamins, too close to supplements which are too close to S-T-E-R-O-I-D-S) Hulk Hogan character?

Someone low enough on the totem pole that Hulk Hogan Knockoff would be a promotion? And someone with heel charisma to work the "Hulkamania is Hobbling Wild" program into crowd boos?

Is there a true, All-American American on the roster who could pull this off?

there probably wouldnt be backlash. mainly because the stereotypical Cena fans (i.e. >10 year old marks) have never heard of Hulk Hogan; and the stereotypical Hulk Hogan fans (i.e. old school fans who remember the NWA, the AWA and the territory system) hate Cena anyway. The non-stereotypical fans will probably just laugh... or criticise Vinny Mac. It's always one of the two.

IF Cena went to Red & Yellow, but not in an obvious Hogan ripoff way, it wouldn't have any real effect. Take the shirt he wore last night, change the orange to red and the blue to yellow, it wouldn't scream "the new Hulk Hogan". It would sell as well as the one they are selling, maybe better just because red and yellow is a slightly better combo than what they rolled out.

If they sent Cena out in a red shirt that said "Cena" in the Hulkamania typeface, that would irritate a lot of people. Older fans who remember Hulkamania would be more anti-Cena than usual, younger fans wouldn't get it, just as a large majority of fans didn't get the similarities between the Hustle Loyalty and Respect gear and the old AWA logo until "old heads" were talking about it and we found the AWA logo on google.

So a net negative.

Crapping on an industry icon could get heat for a heel, however. It could work for Jack Swagger, posing as the true heir to Hulkamania for a world that doesn't want Hulkamania any more.

Since when does Cena have "colors"? Outside of his fruity armbands, the guy wrestles in blue jean shorts. And I doubt changing the color of his shirt had anything to do with DX. It was time to come out with a new shirt, right in time for the holidays for all of the snot nosed kids to beg for. Sorry, no conspiracy. Now, talking about taking a shot at Hulk. How is having the biggest draw on your roster, adopt your "colors" a shot again? If anything, it would be an honor. And last time I checked, Hogan doesn't have a copyright on the colors Red and Yellow, so I doubt anyone outside of this thread would even care. So the short answer? What would happen if Cena rocked yellow and red? The samething that happened when Curry Mand did it. Nothing!

At least this sort of looks better than the John Deer colors. His AWA shirt was the least terrible one.
If he wore yellow and red he'd look worse than he already does. Put a Santino Ferarri shirt on him and that's what it would look like. He's not Hogan and hopefully will never reach that status.

I actually liked the Orange and Blue combination. It was a nice color combo and it looked nice on him. I believe that if Cena was to go Red and Yellow though, in a non-Hogan fashion, he could pull it off. Hogan was primarily yellow with red, but Cena could priimarily be red with yellow. Also if unless they were to rip off the Hulkamania font, I doubt it would be a jab at Hogan. I actually like the fact that Cena now has a shirt that isn't primarily black, as I was getting tired of seeing him come out in black t shirts all the time.

Personally, I would prefer that John Cena lose the jean shorts and wrestle in trunks or tights. I understood his using the jean shorts and sneakers when he was doing his "rapper" gimmick, as well as the use of a more "military" look when he was promoting the marine. Now it doesn't make sense. It's not like he's using his jean shorts to cover up knee braces (See Undertaker and Rey Mysterio).

So are you saying you want to see Cena wearing some tight ass speedo? No thanks.

Anyways, Cena wearing the Red and Yellow could be a way of turning him heel. Even thought it would never happen as long as he's making money for WWE, it could be a way where WWE can take advantage of the boos. However, if he gets cheered in some way with his new look, then looks like we're going to have two more years of Cena as a face.

Cena wearing red and yellow.... I think it would be a great idea.... BUT.... they should wait a little while before doing something like that. Wait until TNA becomes competition, because then they could do it as an "attack" on hogan and TNA. Then it would be really interesting to see how TNA would retaliate. Unfortunately, TNA is not true competition for WWE yet. At the moment, it would not make nearly as much of an impact (pun intended) as it would if they waited until some time in the future when TNA is competing more heavily with WWE. This IS a good idea and I'd be all for it in the future.... just not right now.
_

Nah. He's already got enough comparisons to Hogan, no need for the final nail in the coffin. The big "What If" though, IF they decided to Hoganize Cena, it'd just cause more drama and bullshit that isn't necessary. Hogan would take some cheap shot at the WWE and at John Cena, and they would probably have little segments mocking Hogan in TNA just like TNA did with Vince years ago. Cena needs to keep doing his own thing, I think the new attire looks pretty cool. It's a change from seeing Cena in black.

I gotta agree with most of the people on here. Let Cena be himself. Don't try to make him into something he is not. I think he should stick with his jeans he said a while back that he just dont like wearing tights and some guys in the locker room shouldnt be wearing tights also.Plus By Having Cena where Red & Yellow it just proves that the Hogan signing got to him.

I don't think he needs to. I mean, he's had so many color schemes past him, and I don't truly believe that colors make up a wrestler. Austin didn't need colors, nor did the Rock. you could perhaps argue for Hogan, but in WCW it was more nWo colors than anything. Colors may be symbolic, sure. But I'm a firm believer that the Wrestler makes the colors, not the other way around.

How many different T shirts has Cena had? He had the chain gang one, the Hustle, Loyalty, Respect one, the Bulldog one, the AWA one, the John Deere one and now this Tropical garb. My question is, does he throw out all his shirts? Would it really kill him to wear a 2007 shirt? Considering the audience is dressed in his older shirts, I think not. I know hey have to push the merch, but goddamn. Imagine his closet, it'd look like Homer Simpsons.

Cena in red and yellow is a bad idea. It would look and feel like a cheap imitation of the real thing, and it would certainly not be very beneficial to Cena as he tries to develop himself as a legitimate competitor in the greatest of all times stakes. I don't think the fans would like it, I doubt Cena would, therefore it wouldn't be good.

That being said, dressing Cena up in different bright colours invokes the memories without ripping the other person off, which is exactly what Hogan did to Billy Graham. As a result, I think the Cena orange, whilst being hideous, is actually a pretty good ploy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back