JM Presents: WZ Pokemon Sim Tourney

Well, I've been bored lately, so I decided to create a Pokemon Simulation Tournament, which will start as soon as I get enough people.

Here's how it will work: I have a simulator of sorts for this specific project (e.g., I have the ability to calculate Pokemon base damage, multiplying in special cases such as weather, STAB, critical/supereffective/not-very-effective/no-effect moves, etc.). For starters, I will need 15 people. I myself will be the 16th. I will have on and off tournaments, so other people can join in as they please between tourneys.

Basically, choose your six Pokemon you want, minus legendaries, from any region. All Pokemon will be at base level 50. I will randomize the Pokemon's gender and nature. The tourney bracket will also be randomized, and I will have one round per week, and take two weeks off in between tournaments.
Also, for recurring participants, your Pokemon WILL gain exp. points from each Pokemon it defeats, so keep that in mind. You can switch out your team at any time, but keep in mind a new addition to your team will be at the base level of 50.

If there are any questions, comments, or concerns, feel free to post them in the discussion thread I have posted in the Bar Room. Thanks!

Uuuh, why not use Pokemon Showdown where you can actually have a proper online pokemon tournament?

How do you determine what moves the pokemon has?

It will be the 4 most recently level-up moves the Pokemon would normally learn.
Take Victini for example. It learns the moves Flame Charge, Reversal, Flame Burst, and Zen Headbutt at levels 25, 33, 41, and 49, respectively, and doesn't learn its next move until Level 57, so it would have that moveset.

It will be the 4 most recently level-up moves the Pokemon would normally learn.
Take Victini for example. It learns the moves Flame Charge, Reversal, Flame Burst, and Zen Headbutt at levels 25, 33, 41, and 49, respectively, and doesn't learn its next move until Level 57, so it would have that moveset.

And what if I wanted to use Smeargle with Spore, Substitute, Baton Pass and Ingrain? It can learn all of those moves (along with all other moves bar Judgement) by sketching them.

This is flawed if you are going to Lv 50. You should be able to choose nature, IVs and moveset. Hidden Power plays a part in coverage. You also don't get "illegal" evolutions like Volcarona or other psuedo legendaries who evolve after 50.

What if I wanted to use Smeargle with swords dance, ingrain, safeguard, and baton pass and a Shuckle with rest, snore, bug bite, and rollout?

Experimenting with a simulator of mine. If it doesn't work out too well, I can always convert to that.

Why simulate something that it makes more sense to do by having actual pokemon battles, which allows skill to be taken into account and people to pick their own damn movesets rather than restricting it to what's learned by level up?

This is flawed if you are going to Lv 50. You should be able to choose nature, IVs and moveset. Hidden Power plays a part in coverage. You also don't get "illegal" evolutions like Volcarona or other psuedo legendaries who evolve after 50.

Also, egg moves, items and intelligent switching which would be made pointless by a simulator.

And what if I wanted to use Smeargle with Spore, Substitute, Baton Pass and Ingrain? It can learn all of those moves (along with all other moves bar Judgement) by sketching them.

Didn't paricularly think about Smeargle. I'll look into that.

I see what you're saying. It will probably take some extra time for being able to choose nature, IVs, and movesets, but I suppose it would be worth it. Scratch above. As for Hidden Power and pseudo-leg's, I'll get back to you on that. Have some work to do.
I'll be back later with better detail. And perhaps more fun...

Didn't paricularly think about Smeargle. I'll look into that.

While you're at it, don't forget to take into account U-Turn, Volt Switch and Baton Pass. Also, abilities.

I see what you're saying. It will probably take some extra time for being able to choose nature, IVs, and movesets, but I suppose it would be worth it. Scratch above. As for Hidden Power and pseudo-leg's, I'll get back to you on that. Have some work to do.

How is speed and priority dealt with by your simulator as well?

I'll be back later with better detail. And perhaps more fun...

Protip: doing actual battles would be more fun than simulating.

Given that the world already has Shoddy, Laboratory, Showdown and PO; which already support all the features desired, is there really much need for building a simulator from the ground up?

I suppose so. There were still people using Netbattle years after it had gone obsolete. Not many, but still.

I think Shoddy got left behind. Pokemon Online and Showdown host the majority of battles now but even they have been glitched to all hell by Black and White 2 coming out with DW abilities and move tutors changing the entire metagame.
Congrats, Numbers.
Cheers mate. we can't wait.

I think Shoddy got left behind. Pokemon Online and Showdown host the majority of battles now but even they have been glitched to all hell by Black and White 2 coming out with DW abilities and move tutors changing the entire metagame.

Cheers mate. we can't wait.

Shoddy went the way of Netbattle, I think. PO essentially got out there first and the battling community moved onto it before Shoddy had BW support. I don't quite get why Showdown's gotten popular, but Smogon's backing will ensure it gets used a lot.

And it's good that the Metagame is still being worked out for BW2 because I'm very out of touch with it.

The idea was for Shoddy to get replaced by Laboratory. Unfortunately Lab was really, really slow in getting gen 5 online so Smogon dropped support for it and moved to the newly emerged PO.

And everyone is migrating to Showdown because being able to play in your browser is convenient; and not having a bunch of fuckwits changing the ban list every month is similarly enjoyable.

The idea was for Shoddy to get replaced by Laboratory. Unfortunately Lab was really, really slow in getting gen 5 online so Smogon dropped support for it and moved to the newly emerged PO.

And everyone is migrating to Showdown because being able to play in your browser is convenient; and not having a bunch of fuckwits changing the ban list every month is similarly enjoyable.

If you play on the Smogon Server, they'll probably get right back to having fun with the banlists. Which on lower tiers makes sense as UU and below are based on usage. Though it seems they've changed their system for banning the broken again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back