sometimes

Scott Hall - He is da bad guy

about a year ago

about a year ago

Not many real life friends follow it

bored old dude

no

no

Hope that helps. Sorry for taking the lazy way out, but ya know, work and shit...

So for my Media Audiences class, I am writing a research paper on the type of people that talk about wrestling on the internet, and I happen to know a whole bunch of people who post on the internet! Well, I don't know you all personally, but I do know that you all spend quite a bit of time on this website and I'm hoping you'd be willing to answer a few fairly simple questions to help me form a good thesis and do some research that I can use for the paper. I will rep anyone and everyone who takes the time to help me out by answering these questions.

Here are the questions...

How old are you?

Are you male or female?

What is your highest level of education?

How long have you watched professional wrestling?

When did you start watching professional wrestling?

Why did you start watching professional wrestling?

Why do you enjoy professional wrestling?

How many live professional wrestling events have you been to?

Which professional wrestling events have you been to?

What is the farthest you have traveled to participate in a professional wrestling event?

Do you own any wrestling clothing or paraphernalia?

Do you own any wrestling videos or DVDs?

How often to you watch wrestling on a weekly basis?

Do you buy PPVs? If no, do you stream them online? Do you watch them at a local venue like a bar?

Who is your all-time favorite wrestler? Why?

When did you start using the internet to find information on wrestling?

When did you start using the internet to discuss wrestling?

How did you find Wrestlezone.com?

Why do you enjoy discussing wrestling on the internet?

Describe your wrestling fandom in three words or less.

Have you met any wrestlers? If yes, describe the experience.

Have you ever tried professional wrestling? If yes, describe the experience.

1. How old are you? 20

2. Are you male or female? Male

3. What is your highest level of education? Diploma

4. How long have you watched professional wrestling? 9 years

5. When did you start watching professional wrestling? 2001

6. Why do you enjoy professional wrestling? I love lots of things about it such as the storylines, characters and I love watching a good exciting match.

7. How many live professional wrestling events have you been to? 1

8. Which professional wrestling events have you been to? A house show in 2005.

9. What is the farthest you have travelled to participate in a professional wrestling event? I live in Glasgow, Scotland and that's where the house show was so I walked about 30 minutes.

10. Do you own any wrestling clothing or paraphernalia? I own a nexus t-shirt.

11. Do you own any wrestling videos or DVDs? Dozens of them.

12. How often do you watch wrestling on a weekly basis? About 5 hours.

13. Do you buy PPV's? If no do you stream them online? Do you watch them at a local venue like a bar? I order every PPV. It's only £15 in the UK and some of them are actually free.

14. Who is your favorite wrestler of all time? Why? The Rock because I always thought he was a larger than life character and an amazing athlete.

15.When did you start using the internet to find information on wrestling? 2007.

16. When did you start using the internet to discuss wrestling? 2010.

17. How did you find wrestlezone.com? I was searching for spoilers and found wrestlezone.

18. Why do you enjoy discussing wrestling on the internet? I like seeing other peoples opinions and having debates.

19. Describe your wrestling fandom in 3 words or less? I love it.

20. Have you met any wrestlers? No.

21. Have you ever tried professional wrestling? No.

How old are you?

Are you male or female?
Male

High school graduate/current college undergraduate

I watched some wrestling as a child but didn't start watching periodically until 2005. So I guess, I watched for technically six years.

At first, it was because there was nothing else to watch. As I continued watching, the show sucked my interest and I became hooked.

It's gripping. I enjoy watching the drama of storylines and the athleticism of the talent.

None

None

What is the farthest you have traveled to participate in a professional wrestling event?
N/A

Yes!

Yes!

I catch RAW, TNA Impact, and Smackdown every week.

Do you buy PPVs? If no, do you stream them online? Do you watch them at a local venue like a bar?
I ususally don't catch PPVs until months after they air live. I usually watch the DVDs with friends or alone.

John Cena. He was the first wrestler I followed on a consistant basis. People rag on him for having five moves in the ring when that's utter bullshit. I love that the guy is able to keep a cool head and perform even when the crowd is chanting various profanities at him (see: ECW One Night Stand 2006). The guy also holds the record for most wishes granted for the Make A Wish Foundation (I think). It's hard to deny that the man has a heart of gold and is an absolute workaholic. Truth be told, I personally look up to him.

Four years ago as a high school freshman.

January 2010

While Googling RAW results.

Because I don't usually have people to discuss it with in my daily life. Most people look down on wrestling fans because they percieve pro wrestling as "fake".

I LOVE WRESTLING!

No.

No.

How old are you?

Are you male or female?
Male

Currently working towards a Level 3 BTEC in Media (the equivalent of 3 AS/A Levels)

9 years, 10 this year (damn that makes me feel old)

A friend of mine turned it on at my house and I enjoyed it so much that I continued to watch

It's combines the technical ability of sports and the dramatics of film, television or theatre.

None but I shall be attending my first a week from this coming Monday.

None

N/A

I do

A lot

I watch RAW every week, most weeks SmackDown, occasionally tune into NXT, and sometimes indulge myself with a new DVD release or even an old one.

I stream the WWE events except for WrestleMania which I pay for annually.

Chris Jericho: When I started watching, Y2J was the most entertaining guy in the WWF. He could wrestle a match and talk on the mic. He was simply put, the complete package. Since then he's continued to interest me, evolving as the years have progressed and kept me captivated no matter if he's heel or face.

Technically 2008 but not really regularly until 2010

Googling for some results

It's fun to be able to connect from guys (and girls) from all over the globe who share the same passion as I do.

Loyal but cautious

No

Outside of friends, no.

How old are you?

Are you male or female?
- Male

- BA (Hons)

- 6 years

- 2000/01

- Brother was watching it. Came back to it after Eddie Guerrero passed away.

- I see as a means of escapism. It entertains me from a theatrical perspective.

- Two.

- WWF InsurreXtion in 2001 and a Smackdown/NXT Taping in 2010, both in London.

- Currently, 50 miles.

- I have prior to 2006, but nothing current.

- Several.

- Varies, minimum will be 30 minutes, maximum will be 4 hours.

- No.
- Yes.
- Only once.

- Chris Jericho and The Rock. Both have amazing mic skill and ring work, they connect with the crowd superbly.

- About 2001/02

- Randomly searching online sources for wrestling news.

- Easier means to discuss it as not everyone I know personally is a wrestling fan.

- Sports Entertained Fan.

- Big Show, was an autograph signing, was decent aside from rude security guards, he was very friendly and his hands are HUGE!
- Chris Jericho, met during a VIP session with Fozzy, fantastic person to meet, had a meal, had good laughs, talked about random things, got photos, saw him perform, great experience; doing a similar session in July.

- No. I watch Botchamania too many times to remind me why I don't want to be a wrestler.

How old are you?

Are you male or female?
Male

College

13 years

When I was 8.

No exact reason. One of those things that just sort of happens as a kid, saw it once and it caught my attention so I continued tuning in and eventually grew into an avid fan of the business.

I enjoy the athleticism the athletes display inside the ring as well as the soap opera side of things they do outside of the ring. It's a combination of a drama series and a sporting event, two things I enjoy.

One Smackdown, one Raw and three house shows.

N/A

A couple t-shirts.

A bunch, 20+ would be a safe estimate.

2-4 hours.

Usually buy PPV's, will skip out sometimes if the card doesn't catch my attention.

All-time favorite would have to be The Rock. I just think he personifies what it is to be a superstar. He's got a ridiculous amount of charisma and can get the crowd going whenever and however he wants.

Probably around 2004, internet is the worst thing to happen to the business though.

Around 2006 I would guess.

Google search.

Sometimes it's fun but a lot of the time it's just people boosting their own ego and "inside" information so I don't post too often.

Unwavering respect.

I've met Chris Jericho(he's from my city) when he received an honorary degree from my college. It was a fun experience, he fielded a few questions from the students and I was one of the lucky ones to ask him one. I was very nervous when I did so, didn't expect to be so star-struck but he was one of my heroes growing up as a kid so looking back I can understand why.

I wouldn't call it professional but like all fans I've tried my hand at putting on a backyard match with my buddies. It's always great fun when we do it, get so into it we don't realize how corny it looks to the outside world and we don't really care how it looks, if you're having fun what should it matter?

How old are you? 20

Are you male or female? Male

What is your highest level of education? Graduated High School

How long have you watched professional wrestling? As long as I can remember my whole family watched it, but I'd say I was about 6 or 7 when I really started getting into it.

When did you start watching professional wrestling? 14 years

Why did you start watching professional wrestling? My whole family watched/watches it, but mostly because my Dad and Grandma watched it alot.

Why do you enjoy professional wrestling? The entertainment, the athleticism, the over the top antics and show. Everything about it, I love.

How many live professional wrestling events have you been to? 5

Backlash 2003
Smackdown House Show
2 Raw House Shows
Backlash 2009

About an hour.

A bunch of shirts and I still have a lot of the action figures from when I was a kid.

Probably about 20 or so.

I watch Raw and Smackdown!, Impact and maybe once a day I'll watch a match or an old PPV.

I only buy the big PPV's (WM, RR, SS and maybe one or two others) and I usually stream the rest.

TAKA Michinoku. When I was little I watched some Puroresu with my Japanese Grandmother and always rooted for Japanese guys when I saw them elsewhere. WWF had Yokozuna and Hakishi but I didn't really like them because they were usually bad guys. TAKA was the first face Japanese wrestler I noticed and his matches and moves were something I hadn't seen in WWF up until then. I just followed the rest of his career closely.

When did you start using the internet to find information on wrestling? 2006

When did you start using the internet to discuss wrestling? 2009

How did you find Wrestlezone.com? Googled wrestling news.

Why do you enjoy discussing wrestling on the internet? Because most of my friends don't watch and my family members that do watch it, aren't as into as I am and get sick of me talking about it to them.

Unending love.

I've met Spike Dudley, Mick Foley, Triple H and Chyna, and Rey Mysterio.
Spike Dudley helps run and train guys at a local promotion and my former brother in-law was training under him, so I've had a few conversations with him. Most of the time he was nice but he was always pretty busy so it was only for a few minutes.
Mick Foley was once of the nicest guys I've ever met, not just in wrestling. He was working a local show for free, because all the proceeds went to a kid with cancer. I had a sign that said Foley is God that I had him sign and he said "I feel bad about that" and drew another O with a smiley face in it.
Triple H and Chyna were kind of mean and seemed like they were in a rush to leave. It was an autograph signing at a Wal-Mart.
And I bumped into Rey Mysterio at a restaurant before a house show I went to. He wasn't wearing his mask and he didn't want to be noticed. So he just gave me a quick autograph, nice of him to do that since I just walked up to him in a restaurant, invading his privacy and what not.

Have you ever tried professional wrestling? If yes, describe the experience. Just wrestling with friends like most people do, nothing serious.

How old are you?

Are you male or female?

Male

College year 11

five years.

When I was 16

I used to watch it on and off and just got Austar (Australia's cable) So I could finally watch it full time.

That's a hard one. I guess I enjoy it because I like the promo's and It's the only thing I can sit down and watch.

N/A

What is the farthest you have traveled to participate in a professional wrestling event? N/A

Yes

Yes

Twice a week.

I stream them but only because I can't get Austar where I live.

HBK Shawn Michaels.

20th of May 2007
20th may 2007
I was looking for background information on HBK and google lead me here because of a HBK thread.
Because all my friends that watch wrestling don't watch it full time so I can't talk it with them.

Yes, It was before I actually watched wrestling. I met the Hurricane when the WWE was in Melbourne Australia. He didn't have his mask on so I used that as my excuse that I didn't know who it was. He seemed like a pretty decent guy.

Have you ever tried professional wrestling? If yes, describe the experience. Thought about it but no.

How old are you? 28

What is your highest level of education? BA Hons

How long have you watched professional wrestling? 15-18 years

When did you start watching professional wrestling? I dont remember, I've never watched it regularly.

Why did you start watching professional wrestling? My mum thought HBK was cute. :shrug:

Why do you enjoy professional wrestling? Athletic action. drama

How many live professional wrestling events have you been to? 3

Which professional wrestling events have you been to? TNA house shows at Wembley Arena in 2009 /10 & 11

What is the farthest you have traveled to participate in a professional wrestling event? Devon to Wembley via East Sussex - about 8 hours driving in total each way.

Do you own any wrestling clothing or paraphernalia? A couple of tshirts

Do you own any wrestling videos or DVDs? A load about 40

How often to you watch wrestling on a weekly basis? 1 or 2 TV hours.

Do you buy PPVs? If no, do you stream them online? Do you watch them at a local venue like a bar? None - time difference

Who is your all-time favorite wrestler? Why? AJ Styles - terrific athlete, innovative. Captured everything that was great about TNA.

When did you start using the internet to find information on wrestling? Between WM X7 and WM X8

When did you start using the internet to discuss wrestling? 4 years ago

How did you find Wrestlezone.com? Saw it on someone's computer and it instantly got me back into wrestling.

Why do you enjoy discussing wrestling on the internet? Community, efedding.

Describe your wrestling fandom in three words or less. Efedding TNA fan.

Have you met any wrestlers? If yes, describe the experience. No

Have you ever tried professional wrestling? If yes, describe the experience.i have a club foot so athletics of any kind is impossible for me.

How old are you? 25

What is your highest level of education? University drop out

How long have you watched professional wrestling? 22 years

When did you start watching professional wrestling? When I was about three

Why did you start watching professional wrestling? EASY EASY EASY YOU SHADDUP My Gran used to watch it.

Why do you enjoy professional wrestling? male soap opera.

How many live professional wrestling events have you been to? 2 or 4 depending if you class NXT and Superstars as seperate.

Which professional wrestling events have you been to? Raw/SD/NXT/Superstars

What is the farthest you have traveled to participate in a professional wrestling event? Toon to Laaandan.

Do you own any wrestling clothing or paraphernalia? Not anymore.

Do you own any wrestling videos or DVDs? No.

How often to you watch wrestling on a weekly basis? Differs from week to week, at the moment not much.

Do you buy PPVs? If no, do you stream them online? Do you watch them at a local venue like a bar? Big ones will go to some gathering, if not no.

Who is your all-time favorite wrestler? Why? Stevie Richards, no one else likes him. I prefer character over ability.

When did you start using the internet to find information on wrestling? Royal Rumble 07

When did you start using the internet to discuss wrestling? 4 years ago

How did you find Wrestlezone.com? Searched for royal rumble results

Why do you enjoy discussing wrestling on the internet? I don't. E-fed and the community is good but wrestling discussion ahsnt changed in four years.

Describe your wrestling fandom in three words or less. Friend of Jobbers

Have you met any wrestlers? If yes, describe the experience. Big show, he was cool.

Have you ever tried professional wrestling? If yes, describe the experience.No

So I'm out of rep gentlemen, but rest assured I'll get you all when I have more to give. It's starting to come together nicely, though I'm not 100% on how I would describe the typical internet wrestling fan yet. Definitely smarter than the average fan, but not necessarily more dedicated or hardcore. Some are, some aren't. I was also noticing a pattern of liking the smaller wrestlers more than the larger wrestlers, but that's started to disappear. The IWC is definitely mostly men (obviously) and in their late teens to mid 20s, though there are outliers. I think the most revealing statistic is the willingness to spend money on professional wrestling related purchases.

The most important part, though, is why you turned to the forums, and it's clear that it's because there is nowhere else to get good discussion. I think it's safe to say that while the majority of wrestling fans are happy to watch the programs and then forget about them until the next episode, members of the IWC need to discuss it at length and how it compare it to other forms of wrestling and such.
When you finish your paper, I'd be very interested in reading it!

If it's not too much trouble, can you PM it to me or post it here?

I'd rather get a PM because sometimes I don't get on here as often as I'd like and these threads get buried rather quickly.

Thanx for your interest!

Alright, I repped everyone! Thanks for all your help! If there's enough interest perhaps I'll post my paper when it's all finished, though I can point you to much more interesting papers if you'd prefer.

Reactions: Lee
How old are you?

Are you male or female?

Male

College Senior

18 years

My first memory is at 3 years old.

My dad was a fan so I watched with him.

I find it entertaining and it's been part of my life for as long as I can remember.

Two WCW house shows and one WWE house show.

Half hour

No clothing that fits me anymore. I have hundreds of action figures from when I was younger as well as accessories like rings ect... I also still have some old posters and magazines. Nothing that I still use today however

A ton

A couple times a week

I don't buy them but I'll stream the ones I want to watch

The Rock. He's hilarious on the mic, good in the ring, and the best overall performer the business has ever seen.

Around 2006

Searching for wrestling news

Not many of my friends enjoy wrestling at all or as much as me so I can discuss it in depth here.

Spin-a-roonie

Nope

Not unless wrestling around with my brother and cousins as kids counts.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. You'll be happy to know (or maybe not, you might be indifferent) that I finished my paper. After I go over it, edit it, and put in my citations and what not I will post it on here for those who are interested to read.

It isn't. Only three posters are named specifically, and they are KB, IC, and Sly. I was trying to find a way to work you in there SNS, but I didn't want it to look like I was name dropping.

How old are you?

Are you male or female?

Male

College Senior

19 years.

1991. I was 3.

My Dad was watching it on television one day and I happened to join him. I've been a fan since.

It's very entertaining to me. It takes me back to my childhood.

7 Raws, 4 PPV's, 3 Smackdowns, and 3 House Shows.

About 350 miles.

Yes.

Yes.

4 times. If their's a PPV then 5.

I buy them.

The Undertaker. 'Taker has been my favorite since I was a child and he does things that people his size usually can't do. He's amazing to watch.

Around 2003.

A search engine.

It's fun to discuss opinions with other fans that are as passionate as I am.

Crazy about it.

I've met John Cena twice, HBK once, HHH, Kane, Edge, Shelton Benjamin, Jericho, the Undertaker, and Austin. It was amazing. What always get's me about meeting a wrestler live is how huge they are in person. TV does not do them justice.

No I've never tried professional wrestling. Of course my friends and I had our own wrestling organization when we were kids; however, I don't think that counts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back