• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

It needs to be said....

Evenflow DDT

Pre-Show Stalwart
CM Punk is a great wrestler. Magic on the mic and in the ring. All of his moves are done with percision, except one...

The Flying Elbow!!!!

I get it, you want to pay tribute to one of the greatest in the business, but if you are going to do a move, DO IT RIGHT!!!

He botches it EVERYTIME he does it. His opponent is always turnes the wrong direction and just looks weird coming off the top rope. Nothing like Randy Savage or Shawn Michaels.

well im glad im not the only one to notice. yes he does seem to botch the move. it doesn't look right when he jumps off the rope or when he lands. his opponents definitely looks like they are on the mat wrong. of all cm punks moves, the flying elbow is the only one he needs to either drop or improve on. other then that he is phenomenal.

I think he gets it right half the time. He does need more height on it. That was Macho Man's saving grace, he didn't have the athleticism to fly across the ring, but he could make that jump as high as possible.

if you think thats bad then you should see his crooked moonsault.

Im a huge fan of mr brooks but i actually believe he is not too great in the ring. He has great psychology but i dunno he never seems to have a crispness to his moves and he is a little prone to a botch now and then. There is many in WWE who are techinally better in my opinion

I mentioned it in another forum when someone was trying to tell me that Punk was a great athlete.

Punk's elbow is horrendous. Has nothing to do with opponent positioning, Steamboat could have been standing on his head and Savage could have made it look good. HBK was ambidextrous with his. Punk's just not the most coordinated guy in the world. He flails his arms around when he jumps. Same thing on his old springboard clotheslines. He even seems to struggle when lifting guys that aren't even that big up for the GTS. He hunches and kinda slides them off. Dude has a weak core.

Even when he throws kicks he kinda stumbles and has to catch his balance. It's likely a core thing. If you have a weak core (abs, obliques, lower back) your balance goes because you aren't as stable. When you jump, energy is supposed to transfer from your feet to your arms, it's probably why he flails so much.

People_Champ did you just say Savage "didn't have the athleticism to fly across the ring"? If you can jump high, you can likely jump far, just because Savage didn't jump 3/4 of the way across, doesn't mean he couldn't. Savage was a ridiculous athlete that played pro baseball (requires a ton of coordination and timing and powerful short twitch muscle fibers).

Punk has obviously worked super hard to get to where he is athletically and is willing to try everything and is smart in the ring but he's just not that athletic.

In a way Punk is kinda old school. Like the old hairy fat chain smokers from the 60s and 70s that could wrestle for an hour but it was all very basic and easy-paced but filled with ring psychology.

Really....?

I understand making threads on here to post a rant. We all do that at one point or another. However if you are going to post a rant, pick something worth ranting about. No offense, but I think there are better things to complain about. People make mistakes and some fans take botching WAY too seriously. The only thing more annoying than botch complaints are no-selling complaints. Punk is a great wrestler and the fact that he botched one move a few times is hardly worth ranting over because he is great at basically everything he does. Sit back, relax, and enjoy the show guys.

A close second goes to Jay Lethal. If you are going to pay tribute to someone by using their move then... GET IT RIGHT!!!!

Ye it is bad actually. Savage did a brutal elbow. Every time I saw him drop it, I went 'Oooooh!'.

If either one did it right, they'd be risking injury to their opponent's chest area.

If he botches the move so often, can you really consider him a great wrestler.........?

....?

........................................................................?

His opponent is always turnes the wrong direction and just looks weird coming off the top rope. Nothing like Randy Savage or Shawn Michaels.

Ummm...quick question. If his opponents are turning the wrong direction, doesn't that place the bulk of the move not looking right on them, and not CM Punk? This sentence makes it sound like it's Punk's opponents screwing it up, not Punk.

Ummm...quick question. If his opponents are turning the wrong direction, doesn't that place the bulk of the move not looking right on them, and not CM Punk? This sentence makes it sound like it's Punk's opponents screwing it up, not Punk.

Doesn't Punk usually body slam his opponent into position, prior to climbing the rope, prior to dropping the elbow?

And I also noticed that when he punches another wrestler his elbow doesn't look crooked enough.

...now let's analyze how stupid that statement was.

Ok, now look at your initial post.

How about you try jumping off a top rope, 18 feet in the air, and drop an elbow on another human being without injuring them or yourself.

You guys are fucking ridiculous with your critiques of shit that you know absolutely nothing about.

And I also noticed that when he punches another wrestler his elbow doesn't look crooked enough.

How about you try jumping off a top rope, 18 feet in the air, and drop an elbow on another human being without injuring them or yourself.

You guys are fucking ridiculous with your critiques of shit that you know absolutely nothing about.
I agree. He should do a 720 degree corkscrew spin followed by a Triple Salchow before landing the elbow on his opponents crotch.

Im a huge fan of mr brooks but i actually believe he is not too great in the ring. He has great psychology but i dunno he never seems to have a crispness to his moves and he is a little prone to a botch now and then. There is many in WWE who are techinally better in my opinion

I thought I was the only one that felt this way. If he was working in a less simplified company I probably wouldn't care but WWE style can look really bad when things aren't crisp or are botched.

I dislike Punk's slick back "Don" hairstyle. It just doesn't match the rest of his look.

I don't have anything against his hair but would it kill him to work out a little bit more instead of just laying around sunning his ass?

OH GOD! Not the "if you can't do it, you don't get to have an opinion" comment!

It doesn't matter if the OP has never jump 10 (18? Seriously?) feet in the air to deliver an elbow: he's not a professional wrestler. Punk is, and it's his job to make that elbow look as good as possible. If his elbow looks like shit, then he should either fix it, adjust it, or stop using it.

That said, I have no problem with his elbow drop. I haven't really paid close enough attention to the mechanics of it to really be annoyed by it. I just like when he points to the ceiling like Macho did.

Savage made it look great and he made it look easy, as I remember it always seemed very high impact and he landed squarely on the opponent and you believed it could do some damage. While it's easy to sit back from a distance and oversimplify it and say anybody should be able to pull that off...truth is anybody's flying elbow looks like shit when compared to Randy Savage, that includes Punk's and even HBK's...no disrespect to them.

I don't have anything against his hair but would it kill him to work out a little bit more instead of just laying around sunning his ass?

I've told his several times on twitter how he looks weak as fuck in comparison to other wrestlers, but the straw that broke the camels back was be he could barely get Ziggler up to do the GTS and ruined a finish of one of their matches. Maybe if he spent more time doing dead lifts, and less riding bikes with Colt Cabana he would have the body of a prowrestler, hell I think Santino is in better shape than Punk

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back