• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is Velvet Sky the Modern Day Trish Stratus?

BigBombB

Pre-Show Stalwart
When Trish started in the WWE she was a pretty face, so attractive that it was hard to believe she could exist in real life, and that was all she was. In the ring she was atrocious and everyone expected her days to be numbered. Then one day, after years of painful to watch in-ring work, Trish came into her own. She never became a good 'wrestler' but she became an excellent performer. When all was said and done, Trish went down as arguably the best woman in 'sports entertainment' history.

I know what you're thinking, what about Mickie James? Not only did Mickie have a similar style, Trish actually passed the torch to her before she retired. Mickie was a peppier, more psychotic version of Trish, right down to the moveset. Except, Mickie is so unlike Trish that I actually find it hard to believe that people associate the two so much. Mickie was a hard working female wrestler who worked her way into the WWE because of her in-ring ability, she was far from a classic beauty, and her character couldn't have been less like that of Trish if she tried.

If you look at the first paragraph, minus the final sentence, and replace every instance of 'Trish' with 'Velvet' then you have a perfect description of how Velvet came to be. Outstandingly beautiful without a lick of ability in the ring before turning into one of the top drawing, hardest working women in the business today. Velvet has defied the odds, she has become more than just a pretty face, and she continues to be one of the top female acts in wrestling.

Do you agree? Disagree? Do you think there is someone that fits the mold better? Let me know below!

You either compare prominent athletes within WWE, or compare top WWE performers to their WCW counterparts in the latter half of the 1990s. That's it. No pure-bred TNA wrestler even comes close to a quality WWE one.

I see what you're saying, but I have to disagree. There are certain parallels between Trish and Velvet, but it's more so in the eye candy department. Trish started out as a valet and worked her way up to being a decent in ring performer. While Velvet was a mix of both, she's still not quite all there in the ring, mainly relying on her sex appeal. I do realize that Trish would do the same depending on the role she played, but Velvet always used her ass and "pigeons" to attract her audience. Now mind you I can't recollect every match either of them had, but Trish did have some good matches with talent like Mickie and Victoria/Tara. Most of the matches with Velvet are usually carried by her opponents. Also, Velvet has recently taken a backseat to Angelina. She is better than what she used to be, but she's still not on the same level as Trish in later years.

No pure-bred TNA wrestler even comes close to a quality WWE one.
I wouldnt necessarily say that, because there's some TNA wrestlers I would take over WWE's "quality" wrestlers any day. For example AJ Styles for Cody Rhodes or Dolph Zigg
ler and I would take Samoa Joe over any big man that has come in WWE the last ten years. Also Velvet Sky> Cameron, The Bellas, Kelly Kelly, Laycool, etc.

I see your comparison but Trish may not have had the best matches but she always found a way to get people talking about her. There's no comparing them, Trish was able to succeed w/o great ring talent while Velvet seems to be stuck.
Thats the biggest difference between Trish and Velvet is that, Trish wasnt stuck to being one dimensional and only feuding with females. Trish feuded/managed males and was always the center of what ever was going on. Velvet is more of a 2nd character used to always help get over the Main character. Velvet has never been independent and never done anything outside of the Beautiful People, in which she plays second to Angelina Love.

I wouldnt necessarily say that, because there's some TNA wrestlers I would take over WWE's "quality" wrestlers any day. For example AJ Styles for Cody Rhodes or Dolph Zigg
ler and I would take Samoa Joe over any big man that has come in WWE the last ten years. Also Velvet Sky> Cameron, The Bellas, Kelly Kelly, Laycool, etc.

I see your comparison but Trish may not have had the best matches but she always found a way to get people talking about her. There's no comparing them, Trish was able to succeed w/o great ring talent while Velvet seems to be stuck.
Thats the biggest difference between Trish and Velvet is that, Trish wasnt stuck to being one dimensional and only feuding with females. Trish feuded/managed males and was always the center of what ever was going on. Velvet is more of a 2nd character used to always help get over the Main character. Velvet has never been independent and never done anything outside of the Beautiful People, in which she plays second to Angelina Love.

When Angelina was gone, Velvet had a Knockout's title run on her own where was was drawing the highest ratings of the show. During which she actually had a brief feud with a male and was the center of the entire show. Granted it only happened for a short time but it still happened.

I don't get the parallel between Trish Stratus and Velvet Sky at all. In her early days, Trish was a valet who depended pretty much exclusively on her looks. When she finally began to compete, she was pretty terrible. However, she worked hard at it and actually developed into a pretty good female wrestler. Was she a ring technician, no, but frankly, which divas or knockouts are or ever have been? She went from being eye candy to a female wrestler who was arguably one of the best divas ever, earnig a well deserved hall of fame nomination.

Velvet Sky was originally nothing more than eye candy either. In my opinion, though, that's all she still is today. Don't get me wrong, I love me some Velvet Sky and I would love to see her bring her "talents" to WWE. However, she's still a brutal wrestler who from where I'm sitting, hasn't improved in the ring whatsoever. She's a sexy woman who has carved herself a nice little niche with her sex appeal, but she's nowhere near Trish Stratus in terms of in ring accomplishments or skill.

While she had improved, Velvet is nowhere near the level that Stratus was by this point in her career. Trish came in with no experience and learnt the business. Velvet was been with TNA for a few years now and worked before that and while she has improved, she is still just an average wrestler.

I think we're looking through slightly rose colored glasses here. Trish was NEVER better than an average worker, she was worse than John Cena when it comes to the 'moves of doom'. The WWE machine being behind her made a big difference and her matches with Lita cemented her legacy, but outside of her looks she was average in every way.

I think the main difference that you're all getting hung up on is that Velvet has been part of a successful team moreso than being a success on her own. It's kind of like if Lita and Trish teamed up to become the top heel group in the company, except Angelina is a better worker than Lita and Velvet is less athletic than Trish. But I think that is why so many of you forget how consistently Velvet has been booked as a top player in TNA because whenever Angelina is around they play off each others strengths.

Angelina is the wrestler so she gets pushed harder in that sense, Velvet is great at being the snotty princess so she carries the team on the mic. I would actually argue that Velvet is better on the mic than Trish was. I think the main other difference people are struggling with here is that Trish was in WWE and was successful as a diva on the larger playing field, where Velvet has been a top player in TNA for years too but it is easier to see that as a big fish in a small pond. I think if the Beautiful People were allowed to bring their gimmick to WWE they would get over quickly and instantly be at the top of the diva's division, and by that outlook I don't think Trish has that much of an edge (outside of being far more financially secure!)

Eh, I'm not really seeing a whole lot of similarities beyond both of them being extremely hot. Sex appeal often goes hand in hand with the popularity of a female wrestler in most wrestling companies; not always, but pretty close to always. Pretty much the only genuinely major force in women's wrestling in America in....well...decades in which sex appeal wasn't a factor is Awesome Kong/Kharma. It's played a role in both the careers of Trish, Velvet and just about any other renowned female wrestling star in America.

Trish was never a great technician, as has been pointed out, but she got to the point where she developed into a pretty decent in-ring worker. She worked hard and genuinely wanted it, so much to the degree that she's one of the small handful of women wrestlers in WWE history to have ever been relevant. When she progressed from a valet to an in-ring performer, while still hot, her sex appeal became a secondary trait. Yes, she was hot, but she could also deliver pretty good matches and didn't really rely on her appeal as *********ory fodder.

Velvet's someone that's also worked hard to get better in the ring, but she's just never really gotten there. It's not as though she hasn't tried her best, but it's just not there. Or, I should say it wasn't the last time I watched her wrestle, which is well over a year ago. Often times, the paces of her matches seemed slow because she just wasn't able to keep up and there were times in which she just looked plain awkward. To this day, in my eyes, the most memorable qualities of Velvet all revolve around her sex appeal. She's still the hot chick with the killer curves who gyrates/humps the middle rope as part of her entrance, it's probably the single most memorable aspects of any of her matches or in-ring segments.

I also see what you're trying to get across here, but I have to so no for a number of reasons.

1) Trish was in WWE/F at one of the peaks of wrestling interest. She was the top woman in the top organization. Velvet is in TNA, like it or not, because of that alone she won't be "Trish level."

2) Trish was a very very well known fitness model before she became a wrestler. Velvet aka Talia Madison, was a wrestler for a few years.

3) I don't think Vevet started as a "hot chick" female wrestler. I think he started as a legit wrestler and was transformed into Velvet Sky.

So there's not really much to compare them on, other than that they're attractive females wrestlers who are kinda okay.

I don't see a lot of comparison between two, except that neither of them are great wrestlers.

I've never thought Trish was that hot either.

Velvet though is to die for!!

If anyone has the potential to be a modern-day Trish Stratus in TNA it is Angelina Love or hell it could even be Taryn Terrell but honestly I can't see it being Velvet but at the same time Angelina Love she is the Trish of TNA because look at how many title reigns she has had with the TNA Knockouts Championship? But also granted if The Beautiful People were in a WWE ring who knows where they would be

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back