Maryse Ouellet, the next Trish Stratus?

RKOx7

Vipère Mortelle
So, I'll start off by saying that this is my first thread so hopefully I've followed the rules correctly, and if I haven't please let me know so I can make note of it for next time.

Trish Stratus was my favorite diva in the WWE, she was sexy, had amazing wrestling ability with a wide variety of move set, great mic/acting skills, and she was great at playing whatever role that was given to her (babyface or heel). With great divas like Lita and Mickie now gone, and other top divas like Melina and Beth out of the picture for the time being, I believe that with the divas that we have now, only a few of them can be taken seriously, such as Michelle McCool, Gail Kim, and Maryse.

Maryse has been with the WWE for about 2-3 years now, and she has already accomplished some records (while it's probably not that impressive) in her own right. She is the only diva to hold the Diva's Championship 2 times, and she is also the longest reigning Diva's Champion in it's short history. Not that great of accomplishments but accomplishments none the less.

Besides the obvious similarities, Canadian/French-Canadian and Blonde Bombshells... Maryse as a heel reminds me of Trish Stratus as a heel. They are both very good on the microphone. Maryse does need to work on her wrestling skills a bit more... but she does have a finisher that she used a few times that comes very close to Trish Stratus's Chick Kick, which is Maryse's French TKO. If you don't know what the move is or looks like: (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgwNoqACnKM)

She has used it effectively to almost knock Beth Phoenix out at Survivor Series '08 , and to win her first Diva's Championship against Michelle McCool.

I believe that with some more work on her wrestling and establishing herself against one specific rival (possibly Melina) over the coming years, Maryse can become a reflection of Trish Stratus, or even have the potential to establish herself so greatly that she isn't compared to other greats, but she is her own person.

What do you guys think? :)

A few weeks ago id believe that was possible, but with this program she's running with Ted D im not sure where she going unless its just a way to keep her from the title for a few months.

She would def have to upgrade her skills to surpass Trish, also there is a painful lack for decent rivals to challange her if she does. Melina is a good idea but she gets injured alot.

If there is going to be a next Trish Stratus (and that's a huge if right now) I'd pick Eve. She does a pretty moonsault, is very athletic, extremely beautiful, she's basically got it all. She just doesn't quite have the breathtaking moves that Trish had, but in my opinion she's got the best in-ring skills out of any diva right now.

Maryse does not impress in the ring in the same way Eve does. What Eve and Trish have in common is their flashiness. They both do gymnastic style moves in addition to some pretty impressive traditional wrestling moves.

Maryse does a few traditional wrestling moves (She has a DDT, roll-ups, backbreaker) and she is supposedly a blackbelt in some form of martial arts, but she's not as entertaining in-ring as Eve. The only thing Maryse has in common with Trish is their heel kick, and Maryse's isn't quite the Chick Kick.

What made Trish so special was her ability to wrestle and stay over with the fans. Trish was so good in the ring that it was impossible for fans not to cheer for her. She did things that looked like they should be impossible, and made it look pretty realistic. I don't think any diva will ever be able to replicate Trish's skills, but especially not Maryse. I like Maryse, but she is not the next Trish Stratus.

I can see the similarities as long as Maryse continues to improve her in-ring moves. What I see her doing with Ted reminds me of the whole Jericho/Christian storyline involving Trish and Lita from 2002-2003, prior to the Lita-Kane/Matt Hardy/Edge storylines, even though it has been for one week thus far.

Instead of Trish Stratus think of this one,
Sherri Martel.

Sherri when she first started was a good wrestler but she later became one of the best managers ever.

I believe that's a better comparison and more realistic goal for her to try to get to.

If there is going to be a next Trish Stratus (and that's a huge if right now) I'd pick Eve. She does a pretty moonsault, is very athletic, extremely beautiful, she's basically got it all. She just doesn't quite have the breathtaking moves that Trish had, but in my opinion she's got the best in-ring skills out of any diva right now.

Maryse does not impress in the ring in the same way Eve does. What Eve and Trish have in common is their flashiness. They both do gymnastic style moves in addition to some pretty impressive traditional wrestling moves.

Maryse does a few traditional wrestling moves (She has a DDT, roll-ups, backbreaker) and she is supposedly a blackbelt in some form of martial arts, but she's not as entertaining in-ring as Eve. The only thing Maryse has in common with Trish is their heel kick, and Maryse's isn't quite the Chick Kick.

What made Trish so special was her ability to wrestle and stay over with the fans. Trish was so good in the ring that it was impossible for fans not to cheer for her. She did things that looked like they should be impossible, and made it look pretty realistic. I don't think any diva will ever be able to replicate Trish's skills, but especially not Maryse. I like Maryse, but she is not the next Trish Stratus.

Sorry, but I have to completely disagree with you. I don't think Eve is anything like Trish, she has zero personality and is not even close (imo).

However, in regards to Maryse, I can definitely see some similarities. Like you've said, she definitely needs to work on her in-ring skills, but she's already good on the mic. Even though I love what she's doing as a heel right now, she still needs a lot of work to get as over as Trish was/is. Personally, I don't think she's gonna do it by latching onto Ted's arm, but who knows where it's going? A major rival would definitely help her, and I already love Melina so that would be great. So if she can get all this done and possibly help bring back some interest in the divas division, she might be able to do it.

She'll never become better than Trish ( No Diva ever will imo) but if she works on her ring skills abit more she could be close to Trish's level of greatness,Maryse is my favourite current Diva.

The people who say 'no' obviously don't remember what Trish was like when she first started in 2000, and are basing their opinions on 2006 Trish.

Trish was NOT good in the ring when she first started by any stretch of the imagination. She'd run awkwardly like most Divas do, she'd pull hair, slap her opponents, and her one and only wrestling move was a running Bulldog. It was years later before she was doing handstands into hurracanrana's, or doing sprinboard bulldog's or bending over backwards (lol) in the ring.

She'd been a fitness instructor for years so she knew how to interact with people, plus she was a stunning babe with huge breasts! What more did you need to succeed in the Women's division back then? Sable got over just by wearing fuck all most of the time and doing a half decent Powerbomb didn't she? For the first year, Trish was probably told nothing except 'go out there and be sexy' so effectively they were saying 'just go out there....'

It wasn't until roughly 2 years after she debuted did Trish actually start to shine as a wrestler. When she was no longer managing T&A or Val Venis, and wasn't Vince's bit on the side, they made her wrestle, and she developed by leaps and bounds.

At WM18 and WM19 there was a triple threat match for the Women's title and Trish and Jazz were in both of them. Jazz had been a proper wrestler for years while Trish had only just reached the level she was at at that time (because believe it or not, she got even better). And from then on in she and Lita reigned over the Women's division by actually having a long fued with each other and putting on the best matches out of everyone else in the division.

It's nearly 4 whole years since Trish and Lita left WWE, and there's only 3 divas left there now who have good skills and are being used to the best of their ability as well, and Maryse is one of them. This is a girl who literally was just eye candy at first but has obviously dedicated herself to her job in WWE, because the Maryse i first saw at Survivor Series a year ago was far more green than the Maryse i see on TV now.

Compared to Trish, i'd say that Maryse is actually developing her skills slightly faster, but then again Maryse isn't being used as the eye candy for a male fued like Trish was repeatedly throughout 2000 and 2001, so it's somewhat to be expected.

Only time will tell just how far Maryse can go in the WWE, but at this point from where i sit, i think she has the potential to be as popular as Trish was, but she definitely won't exceed Trish's popularity that's for sure.

Maryse is unbelievable hot, as hot as Trish IMO, but she is nowhere close to what Trish was in the ring. She has time to get better. Its a damn shame that its PG, I would love to see her in a little less clothing.

@Vash then google her nude photos :D

OT, Yes she is can and propably WILL be the next Trish Stratus. For me, Maryse is even hotter than her, and her in-ring skills maybe aren't perfect, but she is better than the WWE standards. Only few Divas actually can wrestle and be hot, and Maryse is the best from them. I may sound like im in love, but nope,sorry SHE IS AWESOME.

I was never a Trish fan - she was hot, I'll give her that, but Maryse is way prettier and has way beter Mic skills, she can't wrestle as well, but in this day in age, that is the least important aspect of women's wrestling. For this reason I expect if Maryse can work as a face she will surpass trish entirely.

Nope she is not the next Trish Stratus, there is and will only be one Trish. I was never a Trish fan I always thought Lita was more exciting to watch, Lita had a better move set to and was great from the beginning of her career unlike Trish. So Lita was clearly better than Trish in every way. {Except for maybe mic skills}

I think a better question is who is the next face of the divas divison because that is what Trish was i dont know why but she was and I think thats Eve. Eve works hard to improve herself every week and she will one day be womans champion. Eve also has an amazing moonsault and she can talk on the mic.

I was never a Trish fan - she was hot, I'll give her that, but Maryse is way prettier and has way beter Mic skills, she can't wrestle as well, but in this day in age, that is the least important aspect of women's wrestling. For this reason I expect if Maryse can work as a face she will surpass trish entirely.

Are you on crack? Trish was awesome on the Mic, she could pull off the bitchy heel, or the sweet face, an she certainly had a sweet face.

Maryse is a great bitchy heel, she has a ways to go before should be considered as good as Trish was.

Are you on crack?

Nah just weed.

Trish was awesome on the Mic, she could pull off the bitchy heel, or the sweet face, an she certainly had a sweet face.

She may well have been, her time in the E was the during the time I tuned out, not because of her, just coincidence. From what I've seen I definitely see Maryse as in a league of her own, though Michelle is close to there.

Maryse is great bitchy heel, she has a ways to go before should be conidered as good as Trish was.

To me Trish always appeared a bit Austin-esque or perhaps more so Sable in that popularity apparently stems from a jumping on the bandwagon mentality.

I know this isn't going to be a popular view but I'll be vindicated by Maryse's future greatness.

As someone who's favorite Diva of ALL time is Trish Stratus and favorite current Diva is Maryse, I would just have to say that I agree that Maryse may never reach Trish's popularity or her skill and technique... but out of the current lot of newer divas [directed moreso to Eve, Tiffany, Kelly, Layla, Bella T... lol who am I kidding?] Maryse has the most potential.

I give Eve a giant E for effort, and she is gorgeous but she just doesn't intrigue me enough... but then again, my attention always goes to heel divas before face ones.

In my opinion I don't think that there is going to be a "next Trish Stratus". Trish was unique and there will never be a diva who can top what she achieved. I don't mean to show any disrepect to Maryse, as I am a huge fan of hers, however I think fans shouldn't look for a "new Trish" instead they should focus on seeing what the newer Diva's can bring to the WWE.
With the apalling time the women are given to work their matches particularly on RAW I think that the chances of Maryse coming close to touching Trish are slim. Trish went out there weekly and had 8 minute street fights with Victoria or 9 minute title matches against Molly Holly. Nowadays the Diva's have 1 minute 12 Diva bikini baywatch matches so do not have time to show their skill like the divas of the past. This one reason why Maryse will never be the next Trish Stratus. Sad but true I think. 8(

I think there is a good chance that Maryse can be close to what Trish Stratus was. Trish wasn't that great a wrestler when she first came to the WWE but she worked hard and improved and Maryse is doing the same thing. She's one of the few women in the WWE who has personality and she is doing a good job at it. I don't know if she will reach the popularity levels of Trish if she stays heel for a long time. I imagine in two or three years she will turn face if she is still around and we'll see what happens.

Nope, Maryse will not be the "NEXT" Trish for one simple reason. Trish is Trish, Maryse is Maryse. Maryse may reach a high level of popularity or respect eventually in the Divas division but she will never be trish, no one can be. I always thought how funny it was that sooooooooooooooo many people used to argue that Mickie James could never be like Trish either and never would reach her status. Thats correct, that was then, and THIS IS NOW folks. No one will ever be the Next Trish, Lita, Mickie, Beth, Ivory, Molly Holly, etc. because they can only be themselves.

Nope, Maryse will not be the "NEXT" Trish for one simple reason. Trish is Trish, Maryse is Maryse. Maryse may reach a high level of popularity or respect eventually in the Divas division but she will never be trish, no one can be. I always thought how funny it was that sooooooooooooooo many people used to argue that Mickie James could never be like Trish either and never would reach her status. Thats correct, that was then, and THIS IS NOW folks. No one will ever be the Next Trish, Lita, Mickie, Beth, Ivory, Molly Holly, etc. because they can only be themselves.

That is so true the question should have been who will be the next face of the divas divison because that was what Trish was. I was never a Trish fan I thought Lita was better, I was a major Lita fan. So no Maryse isn't the next Trish nobody is.

Maryse can be great. The next trish stratus? I dunno. I think time will tell whether or not its a fair comparison. the problem is that Trish had a Lita to be her ultimate nemesis, had a mickie James to create and had people like Molly Holly and victoria to feud with. the women's division was so much more solid back then. all the ladies did a great job in the ring, and sometimes even got to cut promos. the problem with proclaiming maryse the "next" anyone is that she has no solid competition. Michelle McCool is on SD, Natalya manages the Harts, Layla is ok at best we'll see what Tamina is capable of, but really there is no real Women's division in the WWe today. I think it would be much easier to calibrate where Maryse is in her career right now compared to trish stratus if Mickie were still around, if Maryse had faced Beth or Michelle and if there were a couple other solid female wrestlers in the WWe and especially on Raw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back