• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is Tokyo Magnum the Santino Marella of Japan?

It's...Baylariat!

Team Finnley Baylor
Know who Tokyo Magnum is? Well... he's entertaining for one. Magnum had a brief stint in WCW during it's last days. He tagged with Alex Wright on a couple of occasions to dance, jive, and lose matches. In Japan, last time I checked, he was in HUSTLE, and was still dancing. He's funny to watch. And as good of a wrestler as he is, he's known more for his dancing than anything. Santino's not quite a dancer, but is known more for comedy than his wrestling, which Santino's good at. So... would Tokyo Magnum be considered Japan's answer to Santino?

Nah. I get where you're coming from, but despite all of his outlandish antics Magnum Tokyo has always been a wrestler first, and an "entertainer" second. Whereas Santino can't even be considered a wrestler anymore, but instead just comedic relief. It helps that the things Magnum does are usually actually amusing, whereas Santino's antics are usually just sad to watch. That "Bite the head off a Bat-man doll" thing he did a week ago when Ozzy was hosting was painful to watch it was so unfunny.

Magnum is also a better wrestler than Santino in pretty much every capacity. While he does bring a bit of a comedic relief role to whatever promotion he wrestles in, it's usually welcomed whereas Santino's comedic routine hasn't been funny in forever. In a country as serious about their wrestling as Japan is, a little bit of comedic relief is welcome every now and then.

Nah. I get where you're coming from, but despite all of his outlandish antics Magnum Tokyo has always been a wrestler first, and an "entertainer" second. Whereas Santino can't even be considered a wrestler anymore, but instead just comedic relief. It helps that the things Magnum does are usually actually amusing, whereas Santino's antics are usually just sad to watch. That "Bite the head off a Bat-man doll" thing he did a week ago when Ozzy was hosting was painful to watch it was so unfunny.

Magnum is also a better wrestler than Santino in pretty much every capacity. While he does bring a bit of a comedic relief role to whatever promotion he wrestles in, it's usually welcomed whereas Santino's comedic routine hasn't been funny in forever. In a country as serious about their wrestling as Japan is, a little bit of comedic relief is welcome every now and then.

Exactly...and despite Santino not being funny at all these days, he is a solid wrestler in reality. Although the average fan doesn't really know it, Santino could turn the juice up if asked. And as serious as wrestling in Japan is, I would say that Magnum would be closer to Santino than one might think. And yes...Tokyo is a much better wrestler overall, even if Marella turned the wrestling up a notch.

I would say that Tokyo is similar to Santino in some aspects, but he's not a carbon copy, simply because the Japanese fans would not tolerate that.

X pretty much nailed it on the head, regarding Tokyo Magnum.

If there's someone in Japan who you could compare to Santino, it's most definitely Kikutaro. I've never seen this guy have a serious wrestling match. He's just a goofball, who makes the audience chuckle. He serves no other purpose, much like the aforementioned Santino Marella. Moreover, he gets squashed quite often, which is another trait Santino is known for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back