Is the Diva's Division Dead (A Glaring Omission)

SixMovesOfDoom

Occasional Pre-Show
Hey all,

I just finished watching Smackdown tonight and I saw the segment with Layla El and Booker T. Unlike all the other champions in WWE, she was not wearing her title. Indeed, no mention was made of her being a champion. Coupled with the lack of Divas matches, almost none over the past month, I wonder if they have decided to end that division.

Yeah, I have heard about the signing of Del Ray, but I also remembering hearing about Kharma coming back any day now and look how that turned out.

Just wondering if anyone else thinks they have moved past the division, as they did the cruiserweight division and the hardcore division.

You know, I was thinking the same thing. Now that Raw is 3 hours; not ONE Divas match...yet plenty of talking and recapping. Granted the Divas division has been hurting for months with Kelly Kelly, Bella Twins, Kharma all let go (or asked for release). It was bad enough that the wrestlers felt like they could nothing to improve it with only 1 match on each show and creative just don't care. I feel as though without anyone fighting for women's wrestling, the "novelty" will die along with the division. It's a shame that they could do something if they truly wanted to.

Based on the number of women WWE has signed recently to developmental deals (most notably Sara Del Rey), I would like to believe that they're in "rebuilding" mode. That said, with Kelly Kelly returning and having done another Maxim cover, I have a bad feeling they're going to play the "push the hottie" card.

There was a 6 Divas tag match at the Money in the Bank PPV, Lita represented the ladies on RAW 1000, and since then there hasn't been much going on. Within the next couple weeks we'll see more of Layla and the title. You guys are always so quick to jump to conclusions on here. Relax. It's been a busy last few weeks and maybe a Divas segment or two had to be cut in order to get something different on the air. In the end, it's not such a huge deal to not have the ladies on EVERY week. This sort of thing happens when you're trying to write a television show.

The divas division will never be abolished because of anti-sexism laws and rights. The WWE would turn up a shitstorm if they did, and that's a road that they don't want to cross. If they were burned badly for firing Dawn Marie for getting pregnant, the flak they would catch for retiring the division would be tremendous.

That being said, there are only two women employed in the entire company right now that are even halfway interesting. They are Vickie Guerrero and AJ. I find it amazing that Vickie has made a name for herself that allowed her to step out from behind Eddie's shadow. It'll give her daughter a huge political advantage once she debuts. AJ has the best position that a diva could want... fuck the title.

The women's division works differently than the men's. A diva doesn't become popular by working matches and winning titles; she becomes popular by managing, getting involved in male storylines, becoming GM. Working matches and winning titles is secondary.

People want to ask why women like Beth and Natalya are often misused, and that's because 90% of women brought in from companies like SHIMMER are all terrible actresses. Women's wrestling doesn't draw, there have been women as individuals that draw, but never the division itself. And this has been shown consistently since the days of Moolah.

If WWE were smart they'd develop AJ into a super personality, then turn her loose on the division and let her start winning titles. That'll breathe life back into the division quickly.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing a week or so ago. No Diva Matches lately on RAW or Smackdown minus the MITB PPV. Granted they still pop up but nothing Match-wise as of late. Yeah there Matches aren't classics but I still like looking at them.

For me it sucks because there are plently of divas that have good in ring skills like beth Pheonix however wwe would rather push a bunch of divas that are good looking rather than good in ring.

Kelly Kelly is badass and while she got much better in ring i don't care for watching 1 minute long matches that end in roll up pins, and generic ddts. Sadly the divas divison truly went downhill after trish stratus, and Lita retired.

Coupled with the lack of Divas matches, almost none over the past month, I wonder if they have decided to end that division.QUOTE]

Layla & Natalya just put on this match Thurdsay. This looks to be the start of a possible program between the two so no I don't see the divison ending anytime soon.

[YOUTUBE]PrZT3qoQ3SI[/YOUTUBE]

There was a 6 Divas tag match at the Money in the Bank PPV, Lita represented the ladies on RAW 1000, and since then there hasn't been much going on. Within the next couple weeks we'll see more of Layla and the title. You guys are always so quick to jump to conclusions on here. Relax. It's been a busy last few weeks and maybe a Divas segment or two had to be cut in order to get something different on the air. In the end, it's not such a huge deal to not have the ladies on EVERY week. This sort of thing happens when you're trying to write a television show.

It wouldn't be so bad but they seem to find time evry week, every show for the 'hilariious antics'of Santino every week ( what the US Championshiphas become is another thread altogeher). Do we need to see the same Triple H/Brock Lesner video 3 times on one show?I guess what I am saying is the E has time for frivolous stuff but not the Diva's is a joke IMO

The divas division will never be abolished because of anti-sexism laws and rights. The WWE would turn up a shitstorm if they did, and that's a road that they don't want to cross. If they were burned badly for firing Dawn Marie for getting pregnant, the flak they would catch for retiring the division would be tremendous.

I have heard that elsewhere. I wonder what the specific law is that they would be violating by not having a women's division. Not denying it exists, just interested in seeing it for myself. If anyone could provide a link, it would be appreciated.

Truth be told, I have felt that for some time WWE Creative acts like they have to have a women's division. A single 30 second match ending in roll-up for weeks on end is definitely a testimony to not putting any effort. Its like they know they have to have something, so they do the lowest minimum.

This is a good topic. The company really isn't talking about the women's championship and who's defending it, are they? In fact, the divas aren't doing much of anything recently. No backstage skits with Natalya doing her "thing" or Beth Phoenix facing down smaller opponents. No vamping by Alicia Fox. No Kelly doing her "cover girl" stuff.

When it comes to divas nowadays, it's down to A.J. and Eve. With A.J., we can see what's happening, and now that she's the Raw GM, I wonder if they'll even bother to mix a little wrestling in with her act. I was almost surprised she didn't show up on Smackdown last night, although she technically has no business there.

With Eve, it's really tough to determine what's going on. After her adventures with Zack Ryder and her appearances in business suits in support of John Laurinaitis, she disappeared for about a month.....and is only now getting some air time, fittingly lobbying Booker T for an assistant's job. It's a storyline, but sort of sad, just the same.

So, forget actual ring wrestling for A.J. or Eve; they're making their way to the forefront in different ways. Forget Beth and Natalya; we don't know what they're doing. Forget Layla, too: as the OP pointed out, she was busy sucking up to the new GM of Smackdown, not even bothering to wear her title belt.

As I see it, the entire ring-centered portion of the divas division was to have revolved around Kharma, who really seems to have thrown a curve at WWE management. She was going to be the wheel around which the division spun and now that she's gone, management hasn't decided what to do about it yet. I think a lot of stock was put in Kharma's participation, and I wonder if we'll ever find out what really happened with her.

Meanwhile, the sad part of all this is that the diva division has fallen apart......and I'd wager there are a lot of fans who haven't even noticed.

I think you're making way too much out of this. Just because Layla showed up without the title and no mention was made of her being the champ in the abstract means nothing. In fact, if you read between the lines, her interaction with Eve could plant the seeds for a divas title match down the road, maybe at Summerslam perhaps.

I don't think that the WWE would sign someone like Sara Del Rey if they were going to disband the division.

As much as the divas as a whole arent great at what they do in the ring, I feel both Raw and Smackdown has lacked something, and as much as it pains me to say it, I think they need to keep the divas having matches, because without them, the show doesn't feel the same to me. Similarly to what Mustang Sally said about the fans not noticing the absence of the Divas, I would wager that either a lot of fans either wouldn't miss the Divas competing, or they wouldn't care if they don't compete.

It was said before that the Divas division is kind of in a re-build phase. They should put the strap on Beth or Natalya, they're the only 2 that seem to lend relevance to the title and the division. Maybe even have them fued over the title. It's really the only thing they haven't done with that title is have the top 2 divas battle for it.

Here in Canada NXT is on t.v. and they usually have atleast one Divas match during the 1 hour show. That shows that they are in the process of developing new women wrestlers, and some of them are as good as most of the divas they currently have. I think they will keep the divas matches on Superstars for awhile and have the occasional title match at a PPV or on the Youtube pre-show. Just to remind us that there is still a championship. Then when some of those FCW girls are ready to jump up, they'll beef up the division again.

Is it dead? No. It's still around, it's just simply not being used at all right now. Frankly, I think that's the best thing for it at this point in time. With Raw going three hours, it doesn't need anymore meaningless filler to take up air time. Let's face it, for the most part, that's all the Divas are. With the Divas being the most irrelevant part of the WWE roster, the less I see of them the better.

If the WWE ever wanted to rebrand the Divas, this would be an excellent way to do it. By keeping the Divas away for a while and then debuting Divas for the purpose of actually wrestling and contributing something meaningful to the WWE format, it'd be a vast improvement. In the past, Divas were hired primarily by how they looked, especially in skin tight and/or skimpy spandex. Most of them can actually wrestle pretty decently, they're just not given any meaningful matches or feuds. Some of them are actually pretty damn good wrestlers. With Triple H now in charge of WWE Development and Talent Relations, that hiring strategy looks to have gone out the window with the recent signing of Sara Del Rey. She was hired because she's said to be a damn good wrestler. She's not bad to look at, but looks aren't what she was hired mostly because of as she's nowhere near the level of Kelly Kelly or Maryse or most other Divas brought in over the past decade.

The reason that there hasn't been a divas match on neither RAW nor SmackDown lately is because having a divas match would take away from top male Superstars such as Kofi Kingston, Dolph Ziggler, Ryback, Santino Marella, R-Truth, Christian, Brodus Clay, The Miz, and Daniel Bryan. These aforementioned male Superstars are more over with the WWE Universe as well as much better ratings, something that most of the divas never get.

Another reason is that the WWE is targeting kids (mainly little boys). Children as a rule tend to get bored with divas matches and the SuperShow format with both RAW and SmackDown talent appearing on each other's shows also help prevent divas from having matches.

By having the divas compete on WWE Superstars and non-televised dark matches, it gives the divas more exposure than they would get on RAW, SmackDown, and select WWE PPVs.

I don't think the divas will have a match at SummerSlam this year. Instead, a preshow battle royal featuring the divas is the most likely bet.

I think you're making way too much out of this. Just because Layla showed up without the title and no mention was made of her being the champ in the abstract means nothing. In fact, if you read between the lines, her interaction with Eve could plant the seeds for a divas title match down the road, maybe at Summerslam perhaps.

I don't think that the WWE would sign someone like Sara Del Rey if they were going to disband the division.

I think a possible Layla vs. Eve feud for the Divas Championship is more likely for Night of Champions than at SummerSlam IMO.

People want to ask why women like Beth and Natalya are often misused, and that's because 90% of women brought in from companies like SHIMMER are all terrible actresses. Women's wrestling doesn't draw, there have been women as individuals that draw, but never the division itself. And this has been shown consistently since the days of Moolah.

Ive watched a Shimmer dvd I D/L once (as there aint much of em on the various D/L sites), and I was really impressed.

Its a shame WWE would rather push eye-candy women who cant wrestle for shit, and release those who can.

When Kharma came in I was really excited, and to see maybe (Demolish) those pretty barbie divas was gonna be a helluva lot more exciting than 30 second roll up matches.

But WWE dont let the divas really do that much in the ring these days, well apart from the one night only Litasault, compared to TNA who do let their knockouts put a decent match from time to time (ala Mickie/Tara cage)

Im not really hoping much from this sara del ray bird, as im thinking she'el turn out like kharma, but we can all hope for the Diva's one day.

At this point in time I do think it is dead but I also think they are trying to revive as well. They trying to sign women that can actually perform and I believe that Karhma was let go due to her weight issues rather than creative didn’t have anything for her. So will wait and see if they can turn this whole division around.

If WWE were serious about rebuilding the Divas division, then they could do a damm sight worse than picking up the phone and calling Angelina Love and Velvet Sky, both recently released from TNA and 2 of the most popular womens wrestler in the US in the past decade. Those 2 were one of the hottest acts in TNA over the last few years, and are recognisable faces to alot of the WWE universe- plus they are both hot as hell so would tick those boxes too!

There is so much more WWE could do with the divas they already have too. Beth and Natalya are both really good in the ring, and most of the others can wrestle a bit too. The creative team just need to give them some meaningful storylines and something to work with, rather than sticking Natalya with a farting gimmick and just ignoring half of the others.

I am hoping that with Sara Del Ray coming in, that this is a sign that WWE want some credible wrestlers, not just some swimsuit models. I also hope Kharma comes back at some point, as so many people were looking forward to seeing her destroy some of the divas. So, sign the Beautiful People, push Del Ray when she comes in, put her against Nattie and Pheonix and give the divas a spot on each 3 hour RAW- the time is better spent developing characters than just repeatedly recapping that nights events.

Then, you may breathe some life into this dying division.

.... compared to TNA who do let their knockouts put a decent match from time to time (ala Mickie/Tara cage)

It's interesting that WWE has made a conscious decision to allow gals who are actual wrestlers to leave the company. After all, the two divas mentioned above were WWE-developed performers; it's not as if they gained their initial experience in TNA. A couple of weeks ago, I watched a TNA tag match with Mickie and Tara against Gail Kim and Madison Rayne. It was the first time I've ever seen Madison perform, and if she's anyone's idea of a competent ring worker, then I'm the Fabulous Moolah. I thought she was terrible.... while the other three were good. The irony is that the three true wrestlers were all allowed to escape from WWE......and they are now being looked at as evidence TNA has a fine women's division. Ironic, no?

But WWE has chosen to keep the women who are athletic models while either releasing the girls who know how to wrestle a match or allowing them to move on when their contracts expire. Obviously, this is something the company was aware of as it was happening. This was their tactic; they didn't go into it with their eyes closed. Plainly, WWE has something different in mind for their women employees.....and it's something that "real" wrestlers like Gail Kim and Tara have chosen to get away from (Mickie was fired, so she owed nothing to WWE).

The result? Well, we've seen it, haven't we? It isn't good for actual diva ring wrestling, but if WWE has decided they want their gals to have non-wrestling roles that complement what the men are doing (A.J., Eve), then that's the direction they're going to go.....like it or not.

Oh, we'll still see lady wrestling matches, but until a plan is developed, none of it will mean much.

It isn't good for actual diva ring wrestling, but if WWE has decided they want their gals to have non-wrestling roles that complement what the men are doing (A.J., Eve), then that's the direction they're going to go.....like it or not.

Thats what really pisses me off about women in wrestling just used as valets/eye candy or in a non-wrestling role in men's storylines.

Just look at So-Cal Val/Christy & Brooke Hogan, getting paid for what in TNA (and Ive said if before) Christy & Brooke Hogan get more than all the TNA womens roster.

Im liking the AJ push, but id prefer to see in the ring more instead of just GM promo's.

Its a shame that Linda wont push for equal rights for women in WWE and then we'ed see a whole lot more of the diva's in proper matches not the bathroom break ones we see at the moment.

But with the 3 new FCW divas coming soon (most noteably Paige) Im wondering what they can bring as they are all slated to be better than most of the divas on the current roster, and as Raw 1000 proved Lita can still go, should she want one more run in WWE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back