• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is Randy Orton As Bad As the IWC Says He Is?

No, Orton IS one of the best in the world. He's had some stellar matches as of late and he's really made huge strides with playing a face, there's no reason he deserves all this hate, but just like John Cena, he receives copious amounts of hate from the IWC. Why? Because the IWC is full of morons. Like Nate said, they clamor all over heels and keep calling for heel turns, so obviously they'll hate on a face Orton.

People don't get it, they can't have Legend Killer Orton anymore. It doesn't fit the product. Orton has to adapt to the fan base and adapt to the current product and he's done a great job. His character is still unique and edgy, he still gets big pops from the crowds, and he's still one of the top guys in the WWE.

I think the (Small) percentage of the iwc hates orton due to how he recently won the world title. Its more due to him swanning in and beating christian 5 days after he won the belt so i can see how people would be frustrated with him but that hate should be directed at vince/creative they booked him to win the title Orton isnt going to turn around and refuse a title run.

Theres also the fact that he is booked to win a lot and rarely loses cleanly again vent your anger at vince/creative.

Along with Cena Orton definatly is the best in WWE he was so popular as a heel the crowd turned him face which is something we havent seen since stone cold(no austin/orton comparissons please) and the only person i can remember him having a bad match with is HHH.

This orton hate is mainly just from Christian fans who were pissed at how he lost the belt. By the time we get to survivor series this will have all blown over and the IWC will be begging for him to go back to raw as they will still be sick of Cena running monday nights.

It's amazing how some guys here are a bunch of hypocrites. I mean when was the last time a wrestler was turn face because people actually like him? When was the last time a guy was turn because people wanted to? Orton is that good, with his looks, charisma, move set (specially the RKO), psychology, greek god pose etc.

Like Nick, I prefer much more Orton than Cena, specially when he was a heel, but now I won't complain. You can say that he sucks all that you want but his most recent matches against Punk, Christian and Sheamus says otherwise.

Some arguments are that he is having the Cena treatment, you know having his own "5 moves of doom" or even being called "superOrton". Well he IS the second face of the company after all, plus if you compare Cena's matches with Orton's matches, you are going to see a big difference with the psychology, move set, how they work with the crowd. I don't like Cena, but I know he doesn't suck and I understand how and why Cena is treated that way. Thinking that Orton sucks shows that you don't really understand how this business works and that you don't hear all the people that cheer for him. That doesn't happen for anything you know?

Its been more than a year now since Randy Orton turned face and he seems to have lost alot of fans here in the IWC

Ah yes, the IWC. We're like the hipsters. Cept we're fat and live in a basement.

which I really dont understand why. Granted Im an Orton mark. I
love his character and I love his style. I still dont understand why he gets so much hate?

I think its because he started acting like Cena a lot, don't get me wrong, Orton is very good but they haven't done a good job to preserve his Viper Gimmick. I liked Orton in 2010 post mania. He didn't say much. He came in, kicked ass and left. Pure and simple. Over time he started becoming more and more like Cena. I like Cena, but Orton is the anti-Cena, so to speak.

Every one of his feuds seemed overshadowed by John Cena's

That was because of Nexus storyline. And yes he will ALWAYS be overshadowed by Cena. Cena is on raw, Orton is on Smackdown. There is a reason why this is.

But now that he's on smackdown, he seems really confortable and he has been showing more life and emotions in his matches.

As the Viper the only emotion that makes sense in his character is "VOICES, VOICES, TELL ME WHAT TO DO, OH VOICES!!"

He's suppose to act like a viper. His wrestling style is unique and his character makes his action do the talking. Did I also mention that he's over as hell?!

Wow.

But yeah, the problem is that he IS the Viper. The guy isn't supposed to shake hands with people. He will, but then he'd RKO them just to make a point. That's the Viper gimmick not "RKO THEN SPLITS!!"

So what do you guys think? Should we give the man more credit? Or he's simply overrated by the wrestling business?

I think Orton simply needs a bit of a character tweak. He needs to go back to "Don't trust anyone" mode. That's the orton we all like.

But I do agree with you that the IWC will turn on everyone who is a face

Any time a guy starts winning the belt a lot and repetitively, preventing the Little Jimmys' favorite star from getting in the title picture, the Little Jimmys will start to dislike that person. It happens every single time.

I'm going to be very biased here because Randy Orton is my favorite, but I think that the IWC just gets mad when someone becomes "super". To be honest, you have to book someone like superman because the crowd:
1. They eat it up and buy the superstar or diva's merchandise
2. You send the crowd home happy and make them want to see the next episode
3. You have a better morale from the person you are pushing

I think this John Cena thing has gone too far, but as far as everyone else is concerned, being super isn't all that bad. If CM Punk were to turn face, the same thing would have to happen to him. The good guy must win at the end. It's just how stories go.

I personally, have always been a big fan of Orton. Not to put his current character down because I like it too, but his Legend Killer phase was amazing! The same with Cena, I've always liked Cena and still do. I admit, it does get old seeing the same old thing with Cena being beat down the whole match and at the very end he comes back, but you can't blame Cena for that! It's what's booked. The same with Orton. These guys are the faces of the company, let them have their era because they will not be around forever and soon enough newers guys will get their chance to shine.

Randy Orton may be booked like Super Cena sometimes which may irritate us, but it does not change the fact that Orton is an amazing wrestler! Orton is underrated by the IWC. Orton has always been able to put on great matches and he does have a personality inside of him that he just holds back. I can't help but to like Orton. He just has the look and abilities that make an excellent superstar.

No.Im an Orton fan.He worked hard to get where he is.Its just the IWC cant help the fact that the Attitude Era ended and they still want it back.

I'm going to be very biased here because Randy Orton is my favorite, but I think that the IWC just gets mad when someone becomes "super". To be honest, you have to book someone like superman because the crowd:
1. They eat it up and buy the superstar or diva's merchandise
2. You send the crowd home happy and make them want to see the next episode
3. You have a better morale from the person you are pushing

I think this John Cena thing has gone too far, but as far as everyone else is concerned, being super isn't all that bad. If CM Punk were to turn face, the same thing would have to happen to him. The good guy must win at the end. It's just how stories go.

But CM Punk would still lose some matches.CM Punk wouldnt be super like SuperCena.I can remember CM Punk losing cleanly as a face.When was the last time Cena lost a match cleanly?I think it was against HBK early 2007.

Because watching people like Randy Orton and John Cena just isn't realistic.

Here you have two prime superstars.. they look it... and well they kinda can wrestle it. The thing is... they choose to lay on the mat and sell injuries rather than actual perform wrestling moves. Impact Wrestling... now that is competitive wrestling.. I actually feel like the wrestlers are trying to out do each other in the ring.

Then you look at Randy Orton and John Cena... is anyone suppose to believe that someone who is built like a tank is going to be hurt from a mere punch like Cena acts like on so many times?

Come on... and at the end of Randy Orton vs Christian.. did we really have to watch Orton walk up the damn ramp for 10 minutes?

Their so SLLLLLLOWWWWWWW.. I get it.. you have to do it at some point.. but god damn.. a turtle could beat Randy Orton in a race if it as on WWE TV.

Here are my two reasons for not liking Orton. First off I just don't really like his character. I can see why people love it but it just doesn't entertain me personally. He really doesn't do anything special. He doesn't have great mic skills and his character is nothing more then someone just pissed off all the time. When he was the legend killer, that was entertaining. Now he is just a guy who is unstoppable. At least with Super Cena he is entertaining on the mic and has a character, regardless if you like him or not.

My big reason for not liking Orton is for all the crap he pulls backstage. He only cares about himself, and starting off early in ones career that is fine with me but at this stage in his career he should be doing more. Personally there is nothing I hate more in a wrestler then someone who isn't willing to make others look good. I am not saying he has to do it all the time, but once in a while he really should.

Orton is one of the best superstars in the wwe right now. He has had a great year and been involved in some of best matches this year in the WWE. I think going to Smackdown was a great decision and kind of rejuvenated him.

People get on him for his mic skills but the way he acts and talks fits his viper gimmick. Watch some of his legend killer promos, he was great at playing that young cocky heel.

IWC loved Orton when he was coming up. I remember people wanted Orton to end Undertaker's streak at WM. IWC just like to dickride who ever is perceived to be getting buried or new upcoming wrestlers. Once you become real popular they move on to the next wrestler.

I don't mind Orton, I'm not his biggest fan ever but I think he's sufficiently skilled to be in his position. Sure, he's not the most mind-blowing technician ever, but we as a group can be really negative sometimes, especially with regard to ourselves as a group. The IWC bashes no one as hard as it bashes itself, just look at what others have said in this thread.

Knowing how negative I can be, I do at least try to look for positives in everything, in every guy. Here are some key things that I think Orton does well that are integral to his success (by the way, these are all obvious things):

1) Sells his opponent's offence well
If you look at all the big faces ... they have to be good at this, it's instrumental during a match. If you look at how the crowd responds when Orton or Cena are getting beat up, or are locked in a chinlock, they begin to power out, audience builds up hope ... the claps start to build. It's not an easy thing to master, because you have to guide the emotions of several thousand people.

2)Characterisation/being a different face to Cena
I say 'being a different face to Cena', because the two are often compared, and as I see it, Cena was hated more than Orton until Orton was pushed to Cena's level. Now this point is another really obvious thing but that doesn't make it any less important. If Orton was just the SD version of Cena, it'd be boring. But he's anti-hero against Cena's happy-go-lucky boy scout character.

So we should be happy that the two top faces are entirely different in terms of character, right?

3) Orton is cool, or at least marketable that way
This is actually a major, major positive, I'm dead serious, and probably the prime reason you can push him as such a big face. He's got the almost robotic voice, that look in his eyes, and his hair and tats just add to this. It sounds corny but it's the main reason he's popular with the kids and the girls. His demographic is the slightly older ones than the Cena fans, but kids always want to like what's edgier, and Orton is definitely that compared to Cena. Does "RKO my own grandmother" clarify it clearly enough?

So those are the top three good traits of Orton in my view. Simple, obvious, but effective and certainly necessary.

I don't think anything is as bad as the IWC says it is because people that hate something hate the shit out of it and people that love something love the shit out of it and then you have every opinion in between that wont stand out as much. I never thought randy sucked as a wrestler but he was kind of fading away on raw before he got drafted and he shot up to the top of smackdown instantly but people cheer him and he's pretty young so he'll be around for a while

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back