Is it time to bring back the pirate?

KillBill

Getting Noticed By Management
Once again tonite, Paul Birchill loses. Whens the last time he won a match? I think they should bring back his pirate gimmick. This guy was so over when he had it on Smackdown. The kids loved it and he was very entertaining. A good way to bring it back would be to maybe have him continue to lose, and Katie Lea decides to leave or gets kidnapped for a few weeks by a guy like Ryder who treats her like shit. Then 1 week, after a match, the Pirate music comes on and Birchill returns to "rescue" Katie. I know, sounds corny, but this guy is going nowhere.

I dont think its time to bring back the pirate. He's on ECW, since hes gone from smackdown to raw now to ecw i dont think there much thas goin to save him right now...i think his best bet is to wait for that pink slip and hope TNA would like to take a shot on him because he is pretty good performer....jus wound up with some not so good gimicks

I don't think the pirate gimmick would work right now, as more than likely, kids popped for it because it reminded them of Pirates of the Caribbean. Now that that film is no longer making ripples in the movie business, they might even have more of a backlash by bringing it back than a positive response. People could potentially look at the situation as them being lazy and late, copying something from a movie that is no longer culturally relevant.

Then there's the issue of them already having the Hurricane on the show whom is a corny face who saves people and blah blah blah. Obviously a superhero isn't a pirate, but in the literary sense, both would be characters that are clearly a non-wrestling attraction, a heroic face...they would overlap and make each other boring.

I do agree that they need to figure out something to do with Burchill, but I don't think the answer is to just revert back to his pirate days and try to rekindle a flame that most likely was just capitalizing off a more popular entity's spark. If they want to do something with Burchill, they should team him up with someone that matters. Burchill/Regal has been done and its just tiresome and once again going to the past, so they would need to figure out something new. What that is, I don't know, but Burchill the way he is right now isn't going to go much further than lower-midcard.

well. idk. i dont think it would work. weren't they gonig do go some wierd thing with him and katie lee. like they were gonig to like eachother or something strange like that. guess that wouldnt work in pg land. brother on sister action....no just too plain wierd.

To tell you the truth, I really don't think that bringing back Paul Birchill's ''Pirate gimmick'' would really help. I mean, Birchill has all the talent in the world to be a successful star in the WWE, but WWE just doesn't see that. I fail to see how him being a pirate again would help him, as I think the damage has already been done.

In December 2008, when Paul Birchill was brought to ECW, I assumed he would receive a push. Not a ECW Title push, but a push nonetheless. At the time, I was kinda right, as he had victories over such people as Evan Bourne and Tommy Dreamer. Now, I can't really find any significant thing he's done since, unless you call ''unnessacary losses'' signifant.

If WWE would try a fued with Paul Birchill against Goldust, I think it could help both men. You have two guys who have been on the other brand(s) and hasn't found much success. Now they're on ECW, they still haven't found much success, so a fued with them two (two guys who hardly ever win), could really help.

Also, I would say that William Regal could talk to Birchill and say how he's disappointed about all of losses. But, WWE is doing the same thing to Regal. So, I don't know... hopefully WWE will realize that Paul Birchill is a very valuable asset to the company.

You know while the Pirate gimmick may have been over the top and a bit of a joke, at least Paul Birchill was over and occasionally winning matches. As of right now, he doesn't have much direction and again we are seeing a genuienly talented individual flounder because of a lack of direction. The pirate gimmick would probably go over great in WWE's current landscape and maybe he could feud with the likes of Goldust or the Hurricane on ECW....but one thing's for sure, if Birchill doesn't change it up a bit he could be shown the doors which is a shame.

How about Burchill teaming with Shaemus? I think that could work as a "sadistic tag team" managed by Katie Lea.

That would have been great, had Finlay stayed on ECW. Then, we could have had Burchill/Sheamus vs. Regal/Finlay, a clash of generations, and it would have been really fun to watch.

However, I think they should have Regal take an interest in young Burchill, and groom him to be ECW Champion. Get Burchill near the top of the card on ECW (where he should be), where Regal turns on him AND takes Katie Lea.

Because, Burchill is a good worker. I think it's a good sign that he's at least on TV, but I wish they would do something.

I agree with some of the previous posters...it would be nice to see something going on with burchill. However, as much as we may like some wrestlers and find them talented, the WWE always will need jobbers, and burchill seems to do a good job in that role for now.

However, if he were to reprise the pirate role, I think that would mean trouble for Burchill. It would probably mean that WWE has run out of things for him to do, and so they are trying one last desperate attempt to find a role for him. If we see him as a pirate again, he will probably within the next three months be wished well on his future endeavors.

I think another bad sign will be if there is some sort of story that causes him and Katie to split up. If they separate the two, that probably means that he will be on his way out soon after.

Well, he fuckin sure would be getting better heat than he does now. No one could give a SHIT less about Burchill, which was not the case during the pirate days. Will that EVER be a character that rises above the mid card? Hardly. Would still be an improvement over were he is at now. Hell yes, I would love it if the pirate came back.

I could care less for the pirate gimmick and to be honest I didn’t like it. At least when Burchill was using the pirate gimmick he was getting a reaction. Now, what type of reaction is he getting? Anything is probably better than what they are currently doing with him. He is a solid talent that just can’t get over because he has no reason to be cared about as a wrestler. With the pirate gimmick people somewhat cared about him and gave him a reaction. I honestly didn’t care for the gimmick and I didn’t like it but there seemed to be people that liked it when he was using it a few years ago. At least with that gimmick he got a reaction and people cared about him. It would probably be better than what he is doing now and I prefer it over anything he has done since he quit using that gimmick. It would probably be the best thing for him even if he won’t look like a threat to a title, but then again it’s not like he is a threat to anything right now. So, yes I think they should bring back the pirate gimmick for Burchill because it would help him tons. If you compare him then to now, you can tell a difference.

I guess, he isn't doing anything. Isn't going over with the fans, and why the hell are they making the sexy Katie Lea look soo damn ugly with that gay ass make-up? I mean were are they going with this 'ripper' gimmick? Is it supposed to be something gothic or what? The pirate gimmick would work well for a couple of months but I think a pink slip would be the last call matey.

I am a big fan of burcill's work, when he actually gets to perform. Seriously, what do they have against this guy in mgmt? does he resemble HHH too much? did he decline a sexual advance from Pat Patterson or Vince himself? The Pirate gimmick was over, and is perfect for this so called PG era, so if that's what it takes to keep him around and get a better push, then sobeit. The WWE is really dropping the ball on him though, and the Ripper character could be escalated to a much higher level and add some more intensity and a really good heel to the ECW brand. What's so great about that Tyler Rekks dude? OK, he weighs 270 and can springboard off the ropes, whoopady doo! Burchill should be eating his lunch for him. Maybe with Regal on the show, they could put them back together since Regal has that killer instinct thing going on and could get PB and Katie Lea on his level. I really hope they turn things around for him, as he should be in a much better position than he is @ this point. I could do without the Pirate nonsense, but don't cut this dude loose, he's a killer with a big upside if they just allow him to be an ass kicking machine like he should have been in the first place.

Yes. Make him a face, give him a bit of a push, and use him as cannon fodder for Ryder. Ryder needs more people to go over. So after Ryder becomes a heel, and hopefully Finlay becomes a big heel, they can play off of each other and go against Christian one after each other. Ryder going over Christian near No Way Out is a very good possibility, but he will of course need more people to go over. Make Burchill the second biggest face for him to build up against.

I don't like it. Gimmicks don't work anymore. Paul Burchill's not being over is simply a reflection of his lack of personality.

Furthermore, this past year, piracy has been exposed for what it really is now. A pirate gimmick would simply mock people who are struggling to survive in a ravaged company. It would also trivialize the sailors and their families who have suffered the indignity of having their ships seized.

Burchill isn't over because he's bland. He is good in the ring, and that is why the pirate gimmick was over. The OVW crowd that the gimmick was over with was a smarter crowd, and appreciated his aggression in the ring. He has no place really in an entertainment based company like the WWE.

Lol, that damn pirate gimmick!

But seriously, he won't go back to the gimmick. If you notice, somee gimmicks have no turning back. He shed the costume, so its unlikely he puts it back on again. Think Gregory Helms. He gets rid of the Hurricane gimmick, and goes under his real name. When he returned from his injury, he made a hybrid version of both those gimmicks, and now its the real life superhero gimmick. But in Burchill's position, that gimmick has no way of coming back unless he's a face, and he's out by injury.

The pirate was good for 2 weeks maybe 3 tops. The only thing I liked was the rope swing. His mic work got stale with that gimmick and it was old very fast, so no dont bring it back

I loved Burchill's pirate gimmick. I am all for use of gimmicks and personalities that actually stand out. The audience loved the gimmick and it was the most over that Paul Burchill has been in his WWE career.

Fans should be encouraging things that get guys over, like that. Regardless if you personally think it is stupid or not, it is stuff like this that gets guys over with the casual fanbase ... which actually gets them to care about people in the ring. The things that apparently a lot of you guys are advocating, with the current WWE style with the toned down personalities aren't doing a damn thing to get people over with the audience. That is why the crowds across the country sit there at shows and act like they would rather be elsewhere while the events are going on.

I loved the whole pirate gimmick. He was by far way over with the pirate gimmick than what he is right now. He's jobbing to the lowest guys on ECW! He should come back with his pirate gimmick and then become one of the top guys on ECW.

Burchill doesn't need a crazy gimmick like that, he just needs a substaniated push. It's not that hard to get someone WITH talent over. On ECW, it takes a couple wins, a main event match where he can show his skills, and then BOOM. People will be singing his praises, thinking, "Wow, this Burchill guy is better than I thought. He could be up near the top of this brand."

Frankly, anything would be better than nothing for him right now, which is just what he's getting. He's a rebound heel jobber. I can't think of seeing him win once in singles action. He even lost to Jamie Noble of all people. Now perhaps the pirate gimmick might breathe some life back into him. I think it's high time for some silliness in ECW particularly after they got someone like Goldust (who was actually frankly a very scary character in his early days before he became just a weird old man in gold paint.) Anyways, back to Burchill.

In my opinion, though, the pirate's already been done. What they need to do is take the gimmick that he's already got and push it further. He's supposed to be a vicious and sadistic heel trained up by William Regal! What is his nickname? The Ripper! You wanna live up to a name like that, you can't do it half-cocked! Burchill, just by using this nickname, invokes the identity of the most famous serial killer of all time and the one of greatest historical significance. So, I say play it up! Have him loom in the shadows or come out of a thick fog, make him menace and intimidate the divas with his predatory leer. Give him a fascination with sharp objects and a few promos maintaining his knives. Go all the way with this. But in his current state, all Burchill is going to be is a stepping stone for good characters on their way up.

Yes he should return back his old pirate gimmick.This guy has great in ring skills,decent on the mic but can't get over.If a superstar can't get over.Gimmicks are the best way to make someone over if that person can't get over.

Some people can't get over with serious personalities.People can't buy them as serious contenders.In this times a flashy,extraordinardy,interesting gimmicks come into play.Paul Burchill is one of them people don't care him as a serious contender.He lacks personality and people don't care only wrestling skills.So WWE should repackage him or release him one year later(which will probably happen)

Just look at some of the wrestlers that only could get over with their comedy gimmicks.Charlie Haas,Hurricane Helms,Santino Marella,Kung Fu Naki...Burchill is one of them.People don't take him serious and he was over with his pirate gimmick.So it's the best way to make Burchill over.

Paul Birchill is a man who simply can't find a gimmick that works. I mean, he's tried the Ripper. Didn't work. The Pirate was a blatant rip off of Jack Sparrow, but was comical in nature. I think the dude either needs to yoke up with Regal and form a Blue Blood stable or he needs to do a 180 and maybe hit Katie Lea or something and do a shoot on how awful and stale he is as a gimmick and he's wanting to FIGHT!

Hell, I have no idea what to do with the guy. Maybe have a sex tape with him and Katie Lea. They're not REALLY related you know. Maybe they reveal they're husband and wife and are swingers. Of course, Burchill would have to commit to it, which he won't. And is why he'll be released eventually and make his way to TNA where he can join that British Invasion shit. He's British right?

This guy needs saving, but I think it's probably too late. I had high expectations of Burchill but it quickly died because he turned into a jobber on the C show. That means your the lowest of the lowest in the whole company. Now how the hell would you convince people that he's got some hidden power or something? People think this guy is too weak to even compete on ECW. And they are right. My only reason to watch this guy is Katie Lea. I honestly dont give a shit about this guy. He's simply wasted talent. They should get KL off of him and fire him.

I'd like to see the Pirate return as a heel. He could feud with the Hurricane. I think something like this could work. Hell, anything is better than what he is now: A nobody.

No one cares, no one gives a flying fuck about him at the moment so a pirate gimmick change would certainly get him noticed again which is what he needs. I'd like to see a heel pirate though.

i've got to say yesterday's ecw show (9/1/09) was among the best i have seen yet, even with only half the time or so w/the taker/hbk replay. finally, they are really working towards character development beyond just the top guys on the show. the arsenio hall segment, er um abe washington was good w/burchill/helms (minus mr.usa and his fucking laughing) and should produce a good match next week. it's scary how much burchill reminds me of a young trips and really is more athletic. on a brand with limited time and a small roster you can't win every week. hell, even the champ loses frequently, so with that as long as the time is utilized when these guys are in the ring properly, the good matches will build all of them up. here's to hoping next week isn't a disappointment and burchill curb stomps the jerry curl juice outta the hurricane.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back