• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Is Immortal in it's Death Throes?

It's Damn Real!

The undisputed, undefeated TNA &
The rundown:

• Bound For Glory 2010 — "Immortal" is born when "They" is revealed to be Abyss, Hulk Hogan, Eric Bischoff, Jeff Jarrett and Jeff Hardy.

• Immortal forms an alliance and bolsters it's ranks on the October 14th edition of iMPACT! when they treat with Ric Flair and Fortune.

• Matt Hardy is brought in as a surprise opponent against Rob Van Dam at Genesis 2011 and added to Immortal. Months later he "takes a few weeks off" and hasn't been heard from since (approaching two months, now).

• Fortune, sans Flair, turns on Immortal in a They redux on the February 3rd edition of iMPACT!

• Bully Ray takes the spot of Jeff Hardy after the Victory Road 2011 debacle, and Immortal seemingly cuts ties with Hardy as a member of the group.

• Murphy and Rob Terry are kicked out of the group on the May 5th edition of iMPACT!

• Mr. Anderson turns on Kurt Angle and joins Immortal, only to be beaten out of the group a few weeks later following a match with Bully Ray at Hardcore Justice.​

Are you keeping a hand count yet? Jeff Hardy, Rob Terry, Murphy, Matt Hardy, AJ Styles, James Storm, Kazarian, Robert Roode, Mr. Anderson — all ex-members, some of whom barely had their foot in the waters of Immortal, let alone worked as "active" members of the group.

Of the original members, four remain, with Abyss also on the ropes, teetering to be the next guy beaten out of the group.

If this isn't the death throes of the stable, then this has to be the most unstable faction in the history of professional wrestling, all while somehow still managing to retain "full power" over the program/company. Forgive me, but isn't the purpose of establishing a powerful heel stable who takes over the company supposed to be based on the group actually being powerful?

Powerful? They are barely symmetrical. The faction's instability is uncanny. One guy ends up in exile (Jeff), two are suspended for behavior (Matt, Flair), two are too crappy (Terry, Murphy) and one has more creative induced move swings than a pregnant woman on the 9th month (Anderson). Add to that Jeff's responsibilities with AAA and Hogan doing promotion for TNA and this is far worse than the NWO. At least they had a fuck ton of members and their key guys stuck around. But let's face it, once Hardy deteriorated, the faction was forced to follow struggling for relevance.

i think there slowly ending the group i think it will end at bound for glory or shortly after its a boring group.

they should have only had 5 members

They haven't had a plan for the stable, they're randomly adding or subtracting members weekly for shock value, or what not, and because of it; it's not working.
Immortal's original style was holding the belts, and controlling the power, so that a court judge would care who has a belt in the company.
Now the factions goal is to make the belt change hands 3 times in 3 weeks through screwjobs?

I think the stable needs to just have it's internal fight, breakup, and never be mentioned again, it's been a major reason I find myself fast forwarding impact promos.

They initially started as nWo 3.0, they ended up looking like the nWo 2000 with Bret Hart and JJ.

Personally, I believe Immortal is finally starting to become interesting. Since it appears that Mr. Anderson is out, the only members left are Bully Ray, Gunner, Steiner, Jeff Jarrett & Abyss. Jeff Jarrett hasn't been doing a lot of wrestling lately, and IMHO he could just disappear from TNA television (...I don't think the fans would really care if him & Karen just disappeared. I certainly wouldn't).

It seems that Abyss is on "thin ice" with the group, especially with Bischoff & Hogan. Mostly Bischoff, since Hogan has been a "hands off" leader as of late (Hogan's been busy; wrapped up in the Sting/Angle story). I'm slightly interested to see if Abyss will be able to prove himself to Immortal, or be kicked out of the group...the key word is "slightly".

Since Bully Ray has assumed control of all the "active" members (sans Jarrett, who seems to be doing an anti-Mexico thing right now), Immortal has been more interesting to me. Anderson seems to be gone from Immortal (I'd be EXTREMELY surprised if Anderson returns to the group), and Ray is really starting to come into his own as the leader of the group (when Hogan and/or Bischoff aren't around).

To answer your question, I do not think that Immortal is on its last leg...although it also wouldn't surprise me to see the group splits up by BFG (in Oct). Like I already said, Immortal is more interesting right now then it ever has been (at least to me). It also wouldn't surprise me to see Bully Ray assume FULL control of the group, if somehow Eric & Hulk become "powerless" in TNA (which might happen, with this Hogan/Sting angle TNA seems to be setting up). Of course, if that happens the name of the group might have to change (see: "The New Nexus"....god, I hope they wouldn't call it "The New Immortal", a name like that would be COMPLETELY ******ed).

It may be close to death, but don't be surprised to see a "revival" in the way of something we've seen before.

We've been teasing the Hogan face turn forever right? Well what if you get the opposite of 1998 where Hogan leads the face Immortal group while Bischoff has his heel Immortal group. They both "screwed Dixie" so it would be more power struggle stuff as they fight to see who the bigger douche is along with their comrades.

I don't want this to happen, but I can almost guarantee that it will. I'm not sure how it will play out yet but I'm pretty sure you are getting Wolfpac vs. Hollywood, Immortal Style.

Sure Immortal has been booked odd. But when you think of it, since its Inception in last years Bound For Glory when Jeff turned and took the title he had it for slightly over three months, lost it for a month and regained it but we don't really know what may have happened if Victory Road went differently. Jeff may have had a longer program with Sting where he had another opportunity with the title after the Sting return nostalgia wore off.

I agree that the Immortal roster has been shuffeling way to many people in and out but I actually feel like Ray has done a TREMENDOUS job of anchoring the group and keeping heat on them. Ray is so good in his role as the cowardly heel with the big mouth that when he talks up the group you actually forget how little Immortal has done.

I like the fire in Gunner, I know some are on the fence with his personality or lack there of but when you have a stable full of older guys and veterans an intense youthful presense is necessary and I like watching his growth right along with Crimson. Factor that the greatest man who ever lived could be joining and I think the stable is actually starting to pick up steam.

In the end I'm not sure how much longer Immortal will function. Ray and Gunner will probably have words due to both being in BFG series, JJ is finally trying to make us care that he has the AAA title, Abyss may turn face which I'm hoping doesn't materialize. In order for Immortal to live a little longer I don't think they need to recruit a world champion I think they need to find one from within.

Death throws? No. Are they in their death throes, however? Seems like it.

I kinda feel like Immortal never really stabilized, like they've been in chaos since day one. Like you said, completely unstable. It's almost as if they've always been in their death throes. Maybe it's me, maybe it's because they never adopted any kind of "uniform" that I think a faction of that size should have, but I feel like they should just put a bullet in it already.

While it's easy to bash all that's gone wrong with Immortal, I think it's only fair to point out that Jeff Hardy's personal problems are a huge part of what ruined this stable. We have no idea what the plan were around the time of Victory Road. I'm not saying losing Hardy was a huge blow on its own merit, but it definitely threw a major wrench into whatever they were planning for Immortal for the months to follow.

That said, this is a pretty sad excuse for a show-leading stable. I've admired the way Bully Ray stepped up andfilled the gap left by Hardy as the stable leader, but band-aids only work for so long. They've never really fixed the problems with this group and it's time to kill it.

The thing is, I don't know if it's coming as soon as people want to believe. Even if Hogan were to leave the group, what's to stop Bischoff from keeping the stable alive? The trip of Ray, Steiner, and Gunner is actually a decent three guys whose styles fit together well. They'd be a pretty nice group to follow a legitimate front man.

As long as Bischoff and/or Hogan remain "in power" on Impact, I think they'll always have Immortal around as the enforcer end of their regime. And even if "the real Hulk Hogan" eventually returns and he goes face, I still think the group lives on under Bischoff for a while. Angle joining the group would certainly prolong its existence, but I don't know if that's going to happen.

The Immortal angle is one of the sloppiest, crappiest storylines I've seen in quite some time. It pains me to watch TNA now.

A faction should always have one collective purpose. I have no idea what that is with Immortal. Are they older guys trying to stay on top by using Hogan's power? Are they blue chippers trying to take shortcuts? Are they selling their souls to the devil in order to win titles? Doubt that's the case 'cause they sure as hell aren't as successful as they should be with Hogan and Bischoff on the helm. I just don't get it. What's the point of Immortal???

Mr. Anderson joins about a month ago, give or take (at least it feels that way), then gets kicked out. Now, Angle is close to joining - or at least formed a partnership with Hogan - even though Jarrett is very closely associated with Hogan... Wouldn't that be just as bad as what Angle accused Dixie Carter of doing?

This whole Immortal thing is so convoluted, ill thought out, and insulting to the intelligence of wrestling fans that I truly fast-forward my dvr through damn near the whole show.

Reactions: X
This is one of my biggest issues with TNA. Immortal is BORING. Last night Crimson beat over half of the wrestlers (if not half of the entire team) in a glorified handicap match in about five minutes. They can't beat one guy with a 3-1 advantage? Why in the world would you fear a team that makes the Three Stooges look powerful? They've been a joke for months and at the moment, Bully Ray is their top wrestler. Think about that for a minute. Bully Ray isn't just a figurehead like when Disco Inferno took over some team in WCW. He's the undisputed best they have right now as Jarrett is more or less associated with the team in name only. This story has been going on for ten months now and the team is weak. They weren't incredibly interesting in the first place and now they're just boring an look completely inept. Put them and more importantly us out of our misery already.

I HATE Immortal. I never like it. Jeff Hardy being a heel was cool, but then when fortune came in, it got worse. Then it seemed like every other week, someone was either coming in or leaving. A rehash of the nWo. What I hate the most, is seeing Hogan. I used to love the guy. But everytime he's on my t.v, I have to change the channel. I really wish this thing would end!

With Angle joining it (seemingly) I expect to see a revival. I think Immortal either needs to get it's head straight or disband. Once Hogan turns face (we can smell it a mile away right?) It will be interesting to see where the group goes. I do think part of Angles joining it to replace the heel Hogan but that's just a guess

With Angle joining it (seemingly) I expect to see a revival.

As the famous saying goes, don't count your chickens before they hatch. I expect to see Kurt Angle in a similar role to how Bret Hart was aligned with the nWo in '98. IMHO, Angle will be a "Hogan Sympathizer", but not an official Immortal member...much like Bret Hart was never an official member of the nWo, but was often on camera wearing a Hollywood Hogan t-shirt.

I don't think Hogan will have much association with Immortal in the coming months. I believe he'll be busy with what's going on with Angle & Sting, and this will cause yet another internal struggle within the group.

maybe it's because they never adopted any kind of "uniform" that I think a faction of that size should have

TOTALLY agree. Why the hell don't they wear t-shirts that say "Immortal" on them? TNAshop.com must have an Immortal t-shirt for sale, they should promote it by having at least some of the members of Immortal wearing the shirt on-camera. WTF?? Why doesn't someone just go grab an Immortal shirt from the merch stand, and toss it to Bully Ray (or any member of Immortal) before Impact starts? Doesn't TNA want to sell their merch? ...this seems like a no-brainer.

thankfully yes were in the final stages of the immortal stable! with anderson out of group (hopefully he takes a few weeks off now and comes back as a full face and faces bully ray at BFG as they have unfinished business now) and abyss is slowly turning face by being kicked out of immortal that leaves gunner,bully ray,scotty steiner and possibly kurt angle for immortal members who can wrestle still unless im forgetting someone? but steiner can be taken out of the group without anything happening he hasnt mattered sense the main event mafia,bully ray might have a bright future as a heel hopefully they dont drop the ball here and gunner looks to be the top immortal member right now hes gonna be a world champion before this year is over im calling it now but yes immortal is heading towards its death....immortal became weak the second fortune turned on them though

I think the whole Immortal faction was doomed to failure from the get go. I have always believed that the formation of the original incarnation of Immortal was done on the fly, with little or not thought of the faction on a go forward basis. I think that with the arrival of "they", the plan was for someone else from outside of TNA to come on board, someone who would have been a significant component of the group. When this fell through, they implemented a plan B with very little forethought and planning, and have been winging it ever since, assuming that the name value of Hogan, Bischoff, even Jarrett, would be enough. And this have been an abysmal failure.

The faction has not been strong from day one. People come and people go, with little rhyme or reason, making for a poorly cohesive and ultimately weak faction. When nWo was conceived, they were a dominant and powerful faction, whereas Immortal never had this aura from day one. For me, it was a huge letdown right from BFG 2010 and ever since.

If you have a group and are going to call them Immortal, their members have to be significant and dominant, even if they are resting on their laurels of yesteryear. Hogan, Bischoff, Jarrett, hell even Jeff Hardy, all OK. But when you have a group which is supposedly Immortal, and it includes, at various times, Rob Terry, Gunner, Bubba Ray Dudley, Matt Hardy, and guys like this, it comes across as a joke. Maybe it is simple semantics, but I cannot take a group seriously with the name Immortal with guys like this making it up.

I think the Immortal faction is dead, and good riddance. Angle's affiliation with Hogan is the beginning of this, as he is aligned with Hogan but I don't think will be part of Immortal per se. The group will continue to implode and dissolve, and that will be that, until the next poorly conceived and haphazard concept that they send our way.

This is one of my biggest issues with TNA. Immortal is BORING. Last night Crimson beat over half of the wrestlers (if not half of the entire team) in a glorified handicap match in about five minutes. They can't beat one guy with a 3-1 advantage? Why in the world would you fear a team that makes the Three Stooges look powerful? They've been a joke for months and at the moment, Bully Ray is their top wrestler. Think about that for a minute. Bully Ray isn't just a figurehead like when Disco Inferno took over some team in WCW. He's the undisputed best they have right now as Jarrett is more or less associated with the team in name only. This story has been going on for ten months now and the team is weak. They weren't incredibly interesting in the first place and now they're just boring an look completely inept. Put them and more importantly us out of our misery already.

The Mamalukes. Man that could have been a great tag-team.

But agreed that Immortal is boring. They have done nothing innovative, have little rhyme or reason, and while Jeff Jarrett, Bully Ray, Gunner and Scott Steiner are entertaining on their own one way or another, it's been a mediocre stable.

I don't believe that Immortal will disband in the near future.

According to my crystal ball, we will be seeing them as a Dangerous Alliance style faction. Angle and Hogan will be the Luger/ Vader and Harley Race business associates. Bischoff is Dangerously, Ray equals Rude, Gunner & Scotty will be the Double A / Beautiful Bobby tag team and Austin Aries will be to the XDivision what a certain Mr Austin was to the TV Belt.

Double J will either just be an occasional periphery character or he'll be an Orndorff style roster member who will fill in were needed. Given the recent series with Kurt, my guess is his membership will be downplayed for a while whilst he hypes his current Mexican baiting that seems to be rather blatantly heralding the arrival of Chavo.

The days of the Dangerous Alliance is one of my favourite periods in WCW and I feel that the above membership (with maybe the exception of Jeff, whose current role confuses matters) could provide an excellent update. A returning Gail Kim, aping her JJ/ AMW valet days, could round out the deja vu as a Medusa figure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back