Int Region, Charlotte Subregion, First Round: (9) Dusty Rhodes vs. (24) Raven

Who Wins This Match?

• Dusty Rhodes

• Raven

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round match in the International Region, Charlotte Subregion. It is a standard one on one match. It will be held at the Time Warner Cable Arena in Charlotte, North Carolina.

TIME_WARNER_CABLE_ARENA003%282%29.jpg

dustyRhodesAuto.jpg

#9. Dusty Rhodes

Vs.

Raven.jpg

#24. Raven

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

Dusty Rhodes should win this one fairly easily. Raven was the king of a tiny little kingdom that had next to zero resources, and when he made it to the "big leagues", was never more than a manager or mid-carder. Dusty Rhodes is a Hall of Famer. This is a straight up 1 on 1 match, not ECW/no DQ rules, so pretty much most of Raven's career can't be used. If this matchup were in the ECW region, maybe this turns out a little differently...but using standard WCW rules, Raven has zero chance here.

Dusty Rhodes should win this one fairly easily. Raven was the king of a tiny little kingdom that had next to zero resources, and when he made it to the "big leagues", was never more than a manager or mid-carder. Dusty Rhodes is a Hall of Famer. This is a straight up 1 on 1 match, not ECW/no DQ rules, so pretty much most of Raven's career can't be used. If this matchup were in the ECW region, maybe this turns out a little differently...but using standard WCW rules, Raven has zero chance here.

Completely agree. Dusty should win this in a landslide. The Raven character was cool but outside of the bingo hall he was pretty much nothing. Dusty was a star everywhere he went and is a true wrestling icon. Even if Raven did take this match to the extreme Dusty would be more than capable of holding his own. He was competing in hardcore matches before long before ECW came around.

I'm with the guys here, this is a cakewalk for the American Dream. All of Raven's strengths aren't applicable - no extreme (and I think Dusty would have been more than capable on this front anyhow) and, worse still for Scotty Flamingo, no mind games because this is a luck of the draw encounter.

I've never been a Raven guy, except for his stint as Johnny Polo, that was fantastic. I'm in agreement with the guys above. Dusty should win this one rather easily. Rhodes is a legend in the business and was a winner wherever he went. Raven did swell in ECW and had a hell of a run there, but elsewhere he was never really anything special. Even if Rhodes wasn't a star in the WWE ranks, he was just that in the NWA and one of their biggest stars at that. No way Dusty loses here. Start ringing those cowbells boys.

Raven doesn't get enough credit for actually being a damn good wrestler. The hardcore character hides a guy that is pretty damn good as far as psychology and character are concerned. That being said, Raven is going up against a guy that was the legit top draw during his time. Dusty Rhodes should win this one pretty easily.

Raven was one of the few ECW talents I ever found intriguing. That doesn't really mean more than a small hill of beans though. The "American Dream" Dusty Rhodes is a Hall of Fame wrestler who is more than capable of fighting off somebody like Raven. Most of Raven's career was spent brutally dismantling others in bloody contests of gore - unfortunately for him Rhodes isn't exactly a stranger to that environment either.

I don't see any way Raven wins this. You know, outside of a terrible creative decision.

Which Raven are we talking about....

This savage
raven3.jpg

or my grandmother
hqdefault.jpg

Either way, it's Rhodes. Dusty had beaten guys Raven could only dream about. I'm a fan of Raven, but when it comes down to it, he's outmatched. In every imaginable way. Dusty crushes that dome with an elbow and moves forward.

If this match took place under a Hardcore/No DQ stipulation, Raven would have more of a chance to score a win, but it'd still be FAR from a guarantee as Dusty was in more than his fair shair of bloody brawls in his career.

As it is, Dusty gets the win here. It's hard for me to ignore the greats that Rhodes feuded with and beaten, the fact that he was a legit draw in every territory he wrestled in and, if I'm not mistaken, won more total NWA titles during his career than any other wrestler in history. All told, I think he won more than 60.

Outside of ECW, Raven was never a force. To be perfectly honest, I never really saw what got so many internet fans behind the guy.

Dusty wins this match with an elbow drop or the Weaver Lock, AKA Sleeper, at about the 7 to 8 minute mark I'd say.

Man, tough crowd for the ECW boys, huh?

Raven was a guy who got what it meant to be a heel; the truth is, he got his audience so well, and knew what kind of character to give. Guy was always a strong promo. But Dusty is Dusty, man; to be honest, I think he should be a darkhorse to get to the elite eight. In a lot of ways, Dusty was actually better than Hulk, and I will try and get him as far as I can. For now, this is a cakewalk. Dusty rolls over Raven here

Everyone's got it right here. Dusty is a legit star who's beaten plenty of top names. Raven only got to the top of minor companies. Seems to be a pretty easy decision here.

I have to give it to Dusty here. He was constantly one of the top 2 guys in his company while Raven never really measured up outside of the indies.

Completely agree. Dusty should win this in a landslide. The Raven character was cool but outside of the bingo hall he was pretty much nothing. Dusty was a star everywhere he went and is a true wrestling icon. Even if Raven did take this match to the extreme Dusty would be more than capable of holding his own. He was competing in hardcore matches before long before ECW came around.

Now I have been on a hunger binge on the old school tray,
but I know that ain't no match for a cat who was a mark back in the day.

You get it Brain. All of you do, but I wanna quickly respond to the 'bingo hall' remark. Raven along with Jericho were the few who were that 'under the radar hot' in WCW, yet never got an iota of a push. Raven's flock deal was something that I almost always saw the crowd come alive for, but the politicking is another story for another thread.

Sure Dusty takes this. When Ross calls him the greatest superstar to come out of Texas, well yeah 'nuff said. Dusty drew wherever he went, and the American Dream should be pushed a long way here.

Dusty! I like Raven, his recent TNA match wasn't bad, but this is DUSTY RHODES! There's no way Raven wins it, because well... he's not even under ECW Rules, so he's falling big time. I can't really say much more, I don't expect it to be a huge fight though.

I think Raven got too associated with being an ECW guy and it cost him a lot in his career. He was one of the few ECW guys who had enough talent to be a solid midcard guy in the big time promotions but they always seemed to throw him into the hardcore environment. He is insanely smart, but even his MENSA level intelligence can't save him from a loss here.

Rhodes is a hall of famer, an icon, and one of the more colorful characters of all time. He even spread his seed onto future generations with two sons who did and are doing fairly well in the business. I can't see any way Dusty doesn't take this

Dusty Rhodes, WWE Hall of Famer and one of the most unique characters of all time verses an ECW star with a decent amount of talent. Raven is a midcarder at best anywhere other than ECW and since this is a singles match, Raven is out of his comfort zone. Dusty Rhodes, a hall of famer and icon to the wrestler business is more talented than Raven and gets this win convincingly.

SuperSteve 16 votes for Dusty Rhodes

Raven doesn't get enough credit for actually being a damn good wrestler. The hardcore character hides a guy that is pretty damn good as far as psychology and character are concerned.

I completely agree. Raven was a master at working a match, and working a crowd, and would be the epitome of a heel facing Dusty in the South. He feeds off that, and would give Dusty a hell of a run. People say he stands no chance, because this isn't No-DQ, but they're leaving out the possibility of fighting dirty. He'll get in his low blows, and his cane shots. I'd bet on it.

That being said, Raven is going up against a guy that was the legit top draw during his time. Dusty Rhodes should win this one pretty easily.

I also agree with this, however. Even under ECW Rules, I'd agree with this. Dusty put up some great matches with Steve Corino in ECW, and would certainly hold his own. But this is WCW. He's going to let Raven have his spotlight, and then come roaring back with elbows and score the victory.

Dammit!!

Why did one of my favourite wrestlers get Dusty fucking Rhodes as his 1st round opponent?!

If we were able to vote in the way we could last year I would obviously find a way tat Raven would beat Dusty, but if we are looking at the winner being the guy with the better career then you cannot say Raven is better than Rhodes.

Yes, Raven was awesome in his prime and is an ECW icon, who also did pretty well in WCW and TNA (his WWE run was far worse than it should have been), but Dusty Rhodes is one of wrestling's all time stars. A multi-time NWA Champion when that title actually mattered, one of the greatest babyfaces ever in the business and someone who history will remember as a true legend.

The Dream wins this after a bloody brawl and a valiant effort from Raven.

Have to go with the American Dream here. Raven's matches were known to be under Raven's Rules and that's how he won a lot of matches, using No DQ and anything being legal. Under a normal one on one match, all his offense goes away practically. Dusty Rhodes easily handles Raven.

I'm going with Rhodes here too. I guess there's not much to add, i've never been much of a fan for hardcore and honestly i think that's all raven's got. Gotta be american dream for me!

In all theory, hands down would be Dusty Rhodes. Raven is a seemingly one sided wrestler, the hardcore type whereas during the time that Rhodes was active, he engaged in anything you threw at him. I would also point that if they were to carry a match in today's standards, Rhodes would not only win, but he would also carry the match.

Uuhhh... I reckon Dusty Rhodes.

He was the better wrestler and got the crowd more behind him. He won more titles than Raven (excluding his 26 WWF Hardcore title reigns!). Yeah Dusty Rhodes should. Let the American Dream defeat Raven. As he would, heck, he is the booker!

I say Dusty Rhodes picks up the win. Dusty has more big wins under his belt. He was the better wrestler in his prime.

Despite the great arguments listed above, I have to give this to Raven on ring psychology alone. As far as getting into there opponents head, Raven is second only to the Undertaker.

have to go with dusty, he had a HOF worthy career, dont think anyone can argue that you could say the same about raven

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back