Int Region, Charlotte Subregion, First Round: (8) Giant Baba vs. (25) Taz

Who Wins This Match?

• Giant Baba

• Taz

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
This is a first round match in the International Region, Charlotte Subregion. It is a standard one on one match. It will be held at the Time Warner Cable Arena in Charlotte, North Carolina.

TIME_WARNER_CABLE_ARENA003%282%29.jpg

giant_baba.jpg

#8. Giant Baba

Vs.

tazbig.jpg

#24. Taz

Polls will be open for three days following a one day period for discussion. Voting will be based on who you feel is the greater of the two competitors. Post your reasons for why your pick should win below. Remember that this is non-spam and the most votes in the poll win. Any ties will be broken by the amount of posts of support for each candidate, with one vote per poster.

Also remember that this is a non-spam forum. If you post a response without giving a reason for your selection, it will be penalized for spam and deleted.

With the exception of Antonio Inoki, Giant Baba may be the most famous wrestler ever in Japan. He was a top attraction for over thirty years and had multiple lengthy title reigns. At 6'10 and 330 pounds it would be very difficult for Taz to use his usual repertoire. With a height advantage of over one foot and nearly a 100 pound weight advantage I'm giving this one to Baba.

With the exception of Antonio Inoki, Giant Baba may be the most famous wrestler ever in Japan. He was a top attraction for over thirty years and had multiple lengthy title reigns. At 6'10 and 330 pounds it would be very difficult for Taz to use his usual repertoire. With a height advantage of over one foot and nearly a 100 pound weight advantage I'm giving this one to Baba.

I'm not educated enough about Baba to make a serious comment about this match, but I would point out that Taz was hardly wrestling people his own size all his career. In fact, one of his most famous feuds was against Bam Bam Bigelow - a man who's supposedly heavier than Baba.

I'm not educated enough about Baba to make a serious comment about this match, but I would point out that Taz was hardly wrestling people his own size all his career. In fact, one of his most famous feuds was against Bam Bam Bigelow - a man who's supposedly heavier than Baba.

That is true but if I remember right Bigelow beat Tazz. It's one thing to feud with a guy. It's another thing to beat him. Not only that but event though Bigelow is heavier than Baba, Baba is six inches taller. Tazz may be able to put up a good fight but I think Baba would be the one with his hand raised at the end.

Taz was on his hotstreak when Bigelow beat him pretty decisively in their first matchup. Sure, Taz locked the Tazmission, but it only took him throwing back his body weight to knock Taz out.

The 2nd Match Taz had to have Bigelow go through the entrance ramp, and then beat him controversially on the outside of the ring. Taz won't have the advantage of being able to gain and pinfall or submission victory outside of the ring. If this is an old school WCW layout with the level entrance ramp and ringside, then he has a shot at taking Baba and driving him through the ramp.

I'm going with Baba overall. Taz just never had the arsenal to beat a monster of a man with the credentials of a Giant Baba. Taz was a fantastic, badass little wrestler, but he's simply over matched.

I agree with The Brain that Taz ain't going to use his usual repertoire of suplexes and throw Giant Baba around the ring. Although, didn't Taz suplex a 300 plus pound Bam Bam Bigelow? Maybe he could do it.

Taz may have to use his ring savvy and street toughness to get him through some of Baba's offence, but all it would take is to get behind the big man and apply the Tazmission choke. While not the fastest of in ring stars, I'm sure Taz might just be quicker than Baba to be able to pull that off. He managed it against Kurt Angle.

Taz for me then.

I am somewhat surprised by Taz's seed in this tournament. I'll admit I don't know a whole lot about Giant Baba, but Taz has always struck me the same way that most ECW legends have: over-rated and blown out of proportion by a slew of ridiculous, dedicated fans. I did like his announcing on Smackdown alongside Cole, but that's not going to help him get Baba down for a 3-count (let alone his signature submission hold).

Giant Baba for the win here.

[Heel] Green Ranger;3849258 said:
Taz has always struck me the same way that most ECW legends have: over-rated and blown out of proportion by a slew of ridiculous, dedicated fans.

Baba's winning here, and I must admit that. I never much liked Baba's work, and I find myself more entertained by Taz, but I can't argue what Baba meant to wrestling. Fuck, Baba's wife is responsible for the best thing going in wrestling today!

300_2119299.0

That said, I want to argue Taz as overrated because of the ECW stint. In 2000, when Vince signed Taz, he actually had the idea to give him the push Benoit received when he first got to WWE. He got to snap Kurt's undefeated streak, because Vince had big plans for Taz, in spite of everything he had working against him. One candy jar and Bob Holly fuck up later, Taz lost his spot out to Benoit, as the guy who could have great intense matches, and be a mod card staple. Now, all of that isn't enough to beat Baba, because he's Baba, and is more important to wrestling, in spite of his own woes. That said, Taz was a great intense little monster for his time, and had things gone differently, who knows where Taz would mean to us in wrestling.

Baba wins though, handily

Like Sam, I'm not as familiar with Baba as I am Tazz. I've seen some matches, but it's Japanese wrestling, something I wasn't able to watch growing up.

However, I know Tazz, and I know he didn't have a ton of success against bigger guys. We know what happened with Bam Bam, and we know what happened when he jumped to a company filled with big guys. He did nothing.

I liked Tazz, a lot. I had hopes he would run wild through WWE. He didn't. Baba beat better wrestlers on grander stages for years, even I know enough about him to come to that conclusion. Tazz really doesn't stand a chance, especially in the first round of a tournament like this where Baba hasn't been weakened or slowed down yet.

Taz excelled in a promotion dominated with smaller wrestlers, once he moved into the larger environment of the WWF he didn't have the same believability as a dominating Human Suplex Machine except when he was taking on guys of a similar size to himself (like Angle). Baba was way to physically intimidating for him to have a realistic chance (c'mon, seriously, how bad would that T-Bone Suplex look?). Baba, relatively easily, to retain some degree of kayfabe.

Give me hardcore rules and I'd give it to Taz. Short of that, I can't see it. Taz hasn't demonstrated much of a winning record against guys much larger than him, and Baba is just massive compared to Taz. What can Taz do against this guy? He sure can't suplex him. Can he even lock him into the Tazmission? I just don't see anyway out of this for Taz. He might scrap a little but he just doesn't have the history or the arsenal to take down Baba.

Baba would win this rather easily. Taz was great in ECW and would have been in the WWE if it weren't for his injuries. Baba however was just excellent and smooth as can be, very few will ever come close to the impact or drawing power that he achieved and that is what's going to get him over quite a few people in this tournament.

I don't know heaps about Giant Baba and I'm going to pretend to but I think that Taz was very talented in the ring, even outside of Extreme matches. However, Taz would not be able to throw Giant Baba around the ring like he did to alot of his opponents so would have to use a different strategy than usual. Giant Baba is one of the most famous japanese wrestlers ever but Taz was always pretty big before injuries ended his career. When he arrived at the WWE, Taz was wrestling, and gaining a few wins over stars like Triple H and The Rock and while Giant Baba seemed very talented, I think Taz was underrated.

SuperSteve 16 votes for Taz

It's been mentioned already, but Taz handled himself well against Bigelow, who is not only heavier than Baba, but more athletic. Taz did his best when he used his mat wrestling skills, which helps with leverage. That helps against a much larger opponent, like Baba.

I still have to vote for Baba though. He's simply too big, and too good, to not beat Taz. I just think it'd be closer than people think, or at least slightly more entertaining.

I totally agree with that one. Taz's submissions mainly are based around the neck. How is he going to reach up there?

The Master of the Suplex wouldn't be able to use 2/3 of his move set... A 3-time NWA champion that knows how to use his size, BABA should beat TAZ rather soundly.

I have got to say Taz here. He surprised me throughout his career. He know tons about the business. Taz could get the win here.

Taz would go after Baba like a buzzsaw, trying to cut him down to size. Eventually, the sheer size of Baba is too much for the Human Suplex Machine. Giant Baba wins.

I have to go with Taz. Love Taz and all the work he has done for the buisness over the years and I loved how he was always willing to job to the newbies.

Even though Tazz might have to relinquish his suplexes, I'm still going to vote for him based purely on the notion that if he locks in the Tazzmission (which I believe he could), it's over.

My vote: Taz

Taz is fine, I guess, but for me he sort of sunk when he got his sink or swim moment. I don't think it was necessarily his fault, but he never really did much when he got his chance in terms of progression, though he did have a few good matches.

Baba is a legend, and I think he's at an advantage in that the WCW environment was always better suited to foreigners than the other big US promotions. I don't think either man has a distinct advantage in the locale, so I'm going with Baba, the man who has had a lasting impact on an entire wrestling culture, rather than one small promotion.

Baba ruled Japan, he was very dominant. However Tazz has a hardcore background. If it were a different match type then its Tazz's win, but Babas got this

gunna have to go with baba... sheer size would be difficult for suplexes to be used effectively making baba the victor

I chose Taz because Taz was a great submission wrestler and grappler as well as the fact i dont know the other guy

Taz was better all around, but Baba was huge (no pun intended) in Japan. I think Taz with a tazmission after jumping off the top rope to choke him out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back