Instead of Bringing Sting In, Someone Should Just Wear Sting's Make-Up

Uncle Sam

Rear Naked Bloke
I always hear how everyone wants Sting in the WWE. It'd be huge and everyone would love it and he could do his whole waiting in the rafters bit and so on and so forth.

I then proceed to ask myself the following question; why? He's shit. All he is now is an image.

An image that anybody else can replicate. So, save some dough and just get one of your existing wrestlers to wear Sting make-up. The same effect, but you'll probably get better matches out of them. My suggestion? Kofi Kingston.

People who reply with "Yeah, Jeff Hardy already wears it, lol" will be banned for up to four years.

WWE usually doesn't copy another wrestler's gimmick and give it to one of their own wrestlers. That's something TNA likes to do with Jay Lethal, Kyoshi, Shark Boy, etc.

Personally, I wouldn't be too interested, especially knowing that it's not actually Sting and I'm sure a lot of the kids would have no idea who Sting is. Some older Sting fans may be offended by a cheap Sting imitator.

Kofi as Black Sting would also be kind of strange. If anyone was to do it, I'd go with Ricky Ortiz, just for the hell of it.

I say Rey Mysterio. In his storyline with Jericho he can get fed up with Chris fucking with his mask all the time and, after disappearing for a while, come back with no mask but Sting face paint; it's the perfect solution.

Jericho could be in the ring cutting a promo, then all of a sudden the lights go out and everything gets quiet (well, as quiet as it can get in an packed arena). Then all of sudden you hear "BOOYAKA BOOYAKA!!" and the spolight goes the rafters and you see Rey standing there, in all black, in a trenchcoat three times his size, and in Sting make up. Then he'll leap from the ceiling (he won't need to be lowered by cable. The coat will be so big that it'll act like a parachute) and glide down gracefully and hit Jericho with the biggest hurricanrana ever. He could even change his name to Rey Mystingio. It would be the coolest thing Rey's ever done.

don't think it would work seriously. That would mean wwe acknowledging a guy that has turned them down for years, and act like they want him. Now during the whole monday night war years a fake sting coming down from rafters would have made more sense, but this seems like the whole fake diesel and razor idea and that was a huge fail.

I would say Charlie Haas. Now I know he imitates people, but he has the athleticism and technical skills to pull it off and about the same build. He would be the perfect wrestler to adopt the sting gimmick.

I think if sting does not go to the wwe before he retires bringing the character sting to the wwe would not be a bad idea. It would give TNA a taste of there own medicine first of all second of all it would introduce kids to the legendary sting although we know its just an impostor . But I think that before sting says good by to the business he will make a good relationship with the wwe and be inducted into there hall of fame for his days in wcw and his classic matches with flair. Plus wwe owns over half of stings career ( meaning video from wcw and NWA , so they could make a sting dvd if they wanted to )

Ya remember what happened the last time the wwe tried to parody sting and had someone come down from the rafters...

trust me, this is not a good idea. Nobody wants to see a lame ripoff sting that would be stupid, end of story. Don't try and re-create things from the past, create something new.

Depends on what you're asking here, Sam. Are you asking for someone to duplicate his image completely, even going so far as to be called "Sting"?

If you're asking for that, do either of these men ring any bells to you?

image001.jpg

McMahon has tried imitating wrestlers before, all to absolutely little to no reaction whatsoever. Vince promoted for weeks that Diesel and Razor were back, and when Vince revealed that the "characters" had returned, people shat all over the damn thing, with rightful reason. Granted, you're on to the idea that Sting is shit right now, but if you're asking for a complete copy of his gimmick, I will cite Fake Razor and Fake Diesel as a reason as why this was a horrible idea.

Are you saying that you want someone to be billed as the wrestler they are, but with the same idea for a gimmick? For example, let's put the face paint on.... Well, Ted Dibiase. He's still billed as Ted Dibiase, but he has on the similar face paint, and walking through the rafters?

I suppose it could work, but I also would like to bring up this man:

Goldberg.jpg

Sure, Goldberg was over big in WCW. But people's big knock on Goldeberg, either than the fact that he wasn't much as a wrestler, was that his gimmick was a bit of a rip off of Stone Cold. Black trunks, bald head, yada, yada, yada. I never saw it myself, as I saw the gimmick's as completely different. But still, some people knocked Goldberg as a Stone Cold rip-off, and to this day, it's been on of his biggest knocks.

That gimmick wasn't as overt of plagiarism, but if you're proposing this, then you have to realize that this is pretty overt. The only person that does similar things as Sting currently in the WWE is.... Well, no one, really.

You know, actually, the more I think about it, some man does bare somewhat of a resemblance to Sting before his Crow gimmick:

John-Cena-Photograph-C12171845.jpeg

But I'm not sure if I'd sacrifice my most markatable wrestler for what basically sums up to a rip-off. Cena doesn't need to be doing the Crow gimmick, though I suppose it could give Cena back his edge.

I'm not sure if that idea would work, though. In short, I think vince has tried already what you're proposing, and it simply didn't work. So why try this again?

Everyone wrestling fan who knows who Sting is, knows what he looks like and I think if u put face paint on another guy would just be a total disrespect and a slap in he face to WWE fans. I remember reading Sting would work for the WWE for 1 year as long as he has a light work schedule and it all culminates in a Wrestlemania match with HBK. I think it would be smarter to have Sting work the 1 year. Throw the title on him like 3 times and turn him into a huge star with an eventual WWE HOF induction.

I love Sting but let's face it he is 50 years old and has a bum knee that takes away most of his explosiveness. He is getting ready to retire. And let's face it, it's not hard to get a coat that is too big on Rey Mysterio.

I think its an interesting idea but if they did it I could see Sting suing the WWE for that extra payday (because lets face it you know he would). Who could do it? I recommend some unknown guy from development, nobody would know who he is and it could get him over pretty quickly. It could backfire though the IWC and Sting lovers would say its just a rip off and pretty lame.

Plus if you remember correctly Vince never had much success imitating superstars, we all remember the disastors of Fake Diesel and Fake Razor also not to mention Gillberg, even though he was basically a shot at WCW. Hell he even fucked up Fake Undertaker, so he would have to put a bit more effort in.

Yeah, Jeff Hardy already wears it, lol

You obviously aren't a Sting fan and have no clue what you're talking about. The character, the presence, the man they call Sting cannot be replicated. You can't just take some 6'2, 250 lbs. guy, put him in black tights and facepaint, tell him his name is now Sting, and send him out to the ring expecting to see Sting. Yeah, there was a bogus Sting, and Jeff Farmer didn't do a bad job imitating how the original works in the ring, but it was NOT Sting. Even though he wears paint, he still has a unique face like everyone else. Steve Borden IS Sting, and vice versa. He's not just some character in a fuckin' play that you cast someone as. I could go on and on how this was a wasted thread, but there's no point.

I think the only way it would be successful is if it were to bring Sting into the WWE. Like an impersonator angle, and Sting comes out and debuts in the WWE. Even then, it probably wouldn't be the best way to bring Sting in, unless it was Chris Jericho or Shawn Michaels doing it, drawing heat on themselves for bringing in a fake Sting.

It's not an overly bad idea if you ask me. The only thing about that is that Sting probably owns the rights to his likeness and it would cost WWE a fortune if he ever took them to court over something as silly as make-up.

On the same note, I personally don't want to see him in WWE, he is doing fine on TNA and to be quite honest WWE don't need him.

It's not an overly bad idea if you ask me. The only thing about that is that Sting probably owns the rights to his likeness and it would cost WWE a fortune if he ever took them to court over something as silly as make-up.

I'm sure James O Barr owns the rights to the image and Gordon Sumner the name. So why not go for it? It would be a funny thing to see, but I'm sure it would cause an outrage all round.

I always hear how everyone wants Sting in the WWE. It'd be huge and everyone would love it and he could do his whole waiting in the rafters bit and so on and so forth.

I then proceed to ask myself the following question; why? He's shit. All he is now is an image.

An image that anybody else can replicate. So, save some dough and just get one of your existing wrestlers to wear Sting make-up. The same effect, but you'll probably get better matches out of them. My suggestion? Kofi Kingston.

People who reply with "Yeah, Jeff Hardy already wears it, lol" will be banned for up to four years.
Gotta disagree, Sam.

I don't think the man is "shit." He's done a lot in his career, and I think he's a decent wrestler.

And, getting someone else to wear his makeup? Remember Renegade?

I think that would be insulting. This man has built his gimmick over years and years. If WWE wants him, spend the dough and get the man.

Is he worth it? Now? Nah, I agree with you on that point, certainly.

He's old now, but I think he's got some left. And, if used right, he could probably draw in WWE.

But, Vince would just bury him and have him mid-carding in a year.

I don't think he'd work for Vince anyhow, but I could be wrong.

I think it is a horrible idea to bring someone in with Sting make up and have him try to be Sting. This kind of thing never works. In the mid 90's WCW was trying to be the WWF. I'm talking before the NWO. Within a short time they brought in Hogan, Savage, Beefcake, Honky, Bossman, Earthquake, Duggan, Mean Gene, Bobby Heenan, Jimmy Hart, etc. The one 80's star they couldn't get was the Ultimate Warrior. What did they do? Exactly what your suggesting WWE do with Sting. They brought in the Renegade. He had the face paint and the mannerisms. He looked like and acted exactly like the Warrior. This was an epic fail and I think the same thing would happen if WWE tried this with Sting.

maybe an indirect replica would work. Give him the Old Sting/Warrior face paint, and have him use a baseball bat in the same way Triple H uses the sledgehammer, and even some of Sting's signature moves, but have a not-so-obvious personality and a bit of a McMahon-suggested twist (cuz u kno Vince has input on everyone's character)...and since Vince owns the rights to WCW's history, he can use Sting's actual intrance theme (whether it be his original, or the "Crow" theme)

The main problem is like someone says the likeness and name are probably trademarked somewhere by Sting, so if you tried to imitate the whole crow gimmick I am sure someone will be sued.
But honestly besides that it would look horrible on the WWE to adopt an almost identical gimmick that is out right now. Does anyone remember the Renegade? (WCW around 1992) he seemed like an almost gigantic rip off of the ultimate warrior and really had no skills whatsoever and it just made WCW look stupid. Now imagine if you gave anyone in the WWE the Stingesque face paint, a black baseball bat, and a big trenchcoat and had him randomly show up in the rafters and disappear and have that for a while and then debut, if he wasn't the best looking wrestler out there his gimmick will fail cause they will say this is just a gigantic sting rip off.
Now I know what your going to say isn't Jay Lethal just a big Savage rip off? He may use the same tights and go by black machismo but the two main differences are
A) he uses his modern moves from just being Jay Lethal and mixes in the Macho Man stuff.
B) Jay Lethal is more of a comic relief character then a serious character (calling suicide Kabuki and The guns the Rockers)
and thats why its hard to duplicate a serious character that is already done unless your making him look comical

It would obviously not be the same. Enough with these joke threads, unless you are truly mentally disabled and actually believe the nonsense I see posted day after day. Saying Sting is shit is a ridiculous statement at best, but a decent way of getting a reaction out of people in the forum I suppose. A sad statement about what I'm sure is your only daily enjoyment.

Anyway, horrible idea. For the fools who fall for it, they'll come around after hearing the rumors and reading the truth online. Obviously the ones who would greatly enjoy him going to WWE would be the ones who know the difference.

This was kind of already done in WCW, back during the rise of the nWo. They had fake Sting "nWo Sting", if you will, come in and hook up with the nWo to mess around with WCW's collective heads. Luger, in particular.

Anyway, the number one reason not to do this is it acknowledges TNA. WWE is making a very conscious effort to never speak of TNA, ever, while TNA seems to acknowledge WWE every single week. Once WWE starts doing the same, TNA is competition. If they don't, TNA is just "the other show".

But, what the hell. Have Charlie Haas do it for a few weeks for the lolz.

Doesnt Jeff Hardy wear Sting like makeup every week? Jeffs looks way cooler, but Id hate to be the other person in the ring with him who leaves with just as much of the makeup on as Jeff has at the end of the match.

Wait didnt Umga wear Sting like makeup as well?

Gold Dust also wears makeup

but really isnt Undertakers eye liner enough?

On the same note, I personally don't want to see him in WWE, he is doing fine on TNA and to be quite honest WWE don't need him.

Yeah, Sting would sue VinnIe Mac's ass off! We all know Vince hates lawyers right? Yet, ironically, he loves to sue people! Besides, I grew up watching Sting & he is my all time favorite wrestler(Undertaker is my second favorite) & I would be pissed if Vince did this!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back