• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Information when buying a computer

Slyfox696

Excellence of Execution
When you buy a new computer or laptop, what are some of the things you look for? Do you research your model of computer? Do you know what a RAM memory is and what it does? Do you know the difference between a MB and a GB? Do you know WHY you are getting a computer?

Usually I find that people want to buy a new computer, but don't really know why. They don't know what they need, aren't sure what they are using it for, and don't understand what they are getting. Don't be that person. If you have any questions, ask them here.

Also, I'm very interested in what people look for when buying a new computer or laptop. If someone desires, I'll be more than happy to share what I look for and what I recommend.

I've got a question. What exactly is RAM? I know my computer has over 200 GB of memory space. Which is known as a Hard Drive, but I've never understood what RAM is. I'd appreciate if anyone could answer this for me.

When I'm buying a new computer, I look for the speed of the processor, the memory space on the hard drive, the design of it, the windows system e.g Vista or XP and much more. Computers are improving all the time so if you buy one every 3 to 4 years, you're almost guaranteed to receive a better one than your previous computer.

Well I'm no computer expert, so I'm sure a lot of people here on the forums will be able to give you better answers; but what I can give, I will:

As far as I recall, RAM is short for "random access memory" as opposed to ROM which is "read only memory". So far, so pointless for your question lol. What it does, I believe (correct me if I am mistaken), is essentially provide the power/space on your computer needed for any programs that you wish to use to operate.
Additionally to any "hard disk" space you might have to use to install a program on your computer, you will need some type of space and "computing power" to actually run the program, and I think that is what RAM does. The more complex a program, the more RAM it will require to work.

But well, as said - I'm sure Sly or someone else can give a much more precise and useful answer to this lol!

I've got a question. What exactly is RAM? I know my computer has over 200 GB of memory space. Which is known as a Hard Drive, but I've never understood what RAM is. I'd appreciate if anyone could answer this for me.
Dragonslayer pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Use this example. Take the human brain and it's memory. You have short-term working memory, and long-term memory, correct?

RAM is your short-term memory. It's the memory that the computer uses to run programs, and to remember what it needs to do, when, and for how long. When the program no longer is running, the short-term memory no longer needs to remember it, and that RAM is freed up for other use.

The Hard Drive is your long-term memory. Every file you write to a hard drive is stored permanently and forever. Just like your long-term memory, you may not realize it's there, but once you learn something, it never leaves you. It's the same thing on your Hard Drive. Everything you put on your hard drive will never leave the hard drive. Even if you delete something, and empty your Recycle Bin, it's still stored somewhere on the Hard Drive, it just is much harder to find. All the information about how to start programs, some of the processes used for it, etc. comes from the Hard Drive.

Hope that helps.

When I'm buying a new computer, I look for the speed of the processor, the memory space on the hard drive, the design of it, the windows system e.g Vista or XP and much more. Computers are improving all the time so if you buy one every 3 to 4 years, you're almost guaranteed to receive a better one than your previous computer.
Never buy an XP again, unless you have a valid reason. Our school buys XP all the time, and while I can't stand it, there is a valid reason (that being our school server and some of the programs the school uses doesn't work on Vista). But, the truth of the matter is that computers will NEVER roll back to XP. At some point, it will be left behind.

Processor speed, in my opinion, is only important depending on what you want to use the computer for. If it's for mostly Internet and downloading files, and playing media, processor speed isn't something I care much about.

Hard Drive space is important, but not really. The difference between a 160 GB hard drive a 320 GB hard drive is very substantial, but very inconsequential. Very few people use 160 GBs of hard drive space. Don't be suckered into buying a more expensive computer because of hard drive space, because most people don't even use 80 GB of hard drive space before they purchase a new computer.

RAM, in my opinion, is VERY important. Like I said earlier about the short-term memory, the more RAM you have, the quicker the programs you are using will respond, and the more of them you can have open at one time.

If you are buying a Windows Vista computer, get as much RAM in it as possible. If you have to, spring another $70 to get a memory upgrade. Windows Vista is ALWAYS going to use HALF of your RAM. So, if you have a 1 GB machine, and Vista uses half, you're down to only 512 MB of memory for programs, AND you are not getting the full use out of Vista. The more RAM that is in a Vista machine, the better Vista will run.

Graphics cards are only important if you are heavily into gaming, or are interested in turning your computer into a TV. You are unlikely to find a machine at your local Best Buy or Staples with a good gaming graphics card, so you either need to buy one and install yourself, or custom order your computer.

Well, there's one thing I ALWAYS look when I buy a Pc/Laptop/Part/Peripheral etc...
A decent PROTECTION PLAN.
I mean, I you buy new, you sure have some sort of warranty which usually goes from 30 days to one year, but depending on what you buy, I would recommend to inquire about an extended warranty/protection plan.

A fine example is when you finally get your hands in that sweet, awesomely big Monitor, let's say, a 30'' Apple cinema display. You know that you just got a fine piece of hardware, and if something bad happens to that $1800 display after the One year warranty, you probably would cry like a little girl.

So, my thoughts when buying expensive parts are:
-READ the warranty terms before everything.
-Ask for the extended warranty plans available. I mean, if you are getting a $1800 monitor, you should have some extra money to protect your investment.

Corporal Æ;641816 said:
Well, there's one thing I ALWAYS look when I buy a Pc/Laptop/Part/Peripheral etc...
A decent PROTECTION PLAN.
I mean, I you buy new, you sure have some sort of warranty which usually goes from 30 days to one year, but depending on what you buy, I would recommend to inquire about an extended warranty/protection plan.

A fine example is when you finally get your hands in that sweet, awesomely big Monitor, let's say, a 30'' Apple cinema display. You know that you just got a fine piece of hardware, and if something bad happens to that $1800 display after the One year warranty, you probably would cry like a little girl.

So, my thoughts when buying expensive parts are:
-READ the warranty terms before everything.
-Ask for the extended warranty plans available. I mean, if you are getting a $1800 monitor, you should have some extra money to protect your investment.

Lol, i should copy and print what you wrote and paste it all over the store where i work because very few people ever cover their laptop even when i clearly point out that A) they're uber sensitive and B) House insurance will likely cost you more in the long term and fuck you around like they did with me.

Most people who come in looking for laptops where i work are focused on 2 things only.

1) The feel of the keyboard

and

2) What the back of the machine looks like.

The lamen that knows nothing about computers and just wants the means to go on the internet will look at those 2 features and nothing else.

Those who have slight clue of what they're talking about ask about processor speed and RAM memory, and usually for what they want the machine for, those aren't really a massive factor.

Then you have guys (and it is always guys) who want a specific graphics card for online gaming and perhaps some photography editing, and then usually that is the only thing they care about and don't take the rest into consideration.

RAM memory, processor spec, hard drive space, and the additional connections i.e. USb ports, firewire connection, HDMI, memory card slots, VGA ports, and maybe the graphics card, those are the things to look for in a decent computer. Everything else..... is just a toy.

Most parts on computers are interchangeable without much effort. What I tend to do is buy a base PC with a good processor. This will include an operating system, power supply and a working bit of RAM.

My next step is to add more RAM, which is inexpensive and easy to do. 1 GB of DDR2 RAM costs as little as $20. Then you add a video card which can cost from $50 to $500. Depending on what yo do, i.e. gaming, book keeping, video editing. This is where you determine how much RAM and what video card you need. When buying the PC keep this in mind and ask about the motherboard. You need to know how many RAW slots and how many expansion slots you have, and more importantly, what kind, be they PCI, PCIe, etc.

Video cards can enable high definition programming, so you need to evaluate your drives. Most computers now come with DVD RW drives. You can adda blu ray drive, a nice video card with DVI, and a HD monitor and surround sound, and suddenly, your home internet machine is a multimedia center.

Since I know a great deal about PCs I figured I'd help.

It really depends on what I'm/you are gonna use the PC for.

If you're going to play a lot of games, especially the newer ones, a good processor and graphics card is THE most important part. The processor/CPU is basically your engine.

The RAM is also very important, but they're very cheap and easy to swap, and they don't really have to "fit" with the motherboard, so you can always buy new one without having to check if it fits etc.

Actually I'll just list most of the hardware I recommend.

Graphics cards: For gaming, you'll need a Nividia 8800gt or better. for the newest games, you'll need 2 of them, if you want the best performance. Or you could go with the 9800gt/gtx (Gtx is always a step above GT). If you want to go all out, the Gtx260 or Gtx280 is basically the fastest cards out there at the moment.
If you're not going to play any games, or just casual games like Sims etc, you're basically not going to be able to buy a PC from new now that can't run it, unless you buy a really really cheap one.

The processor part is a little easier to explain.
Basically, if you want to play the newest games, get a quadcore. The Intel Q6600 is very cheap, and is a 2,4ghz quadcore, which will get you through any game without a problem. Dual Cores are good too, but a dual core that can compete with the quad is very expensive, so don't bother.
If you're not going to play game, ANY Dual Core will work for you. Don't get a normal old processor though, everything on the internet updates too, and requires more power, so always get a Dual Core atleast.

For the RAM part, it's pretty easy. Get atleast 1gb if you got XP, or 2gb if you got Vista. If you're going to play new games, get 4gb, especially for Vista. 2gb is fine for XP.

Those are pretty much the specs the dealers will list on their homepage, like Dell and so one. I could go into specifics about motherboard etc, but that's really nothing to worry about when buying a complete PC/Laptop. If you're going to build you own though, it's very important, but that's something you ask the people building it for you about.

When I'm buying a PC, I'm first of all looking who the manufacture is. I know who makes quality, and who makes crap. Then I look at the Graphics Card.

Hope that helps, though it probably just made you all more confused.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back