Laptop or normal computer

Sparky

Master of the Aussie kiss
What do you use/prefer?

I prefer a laptop. I had about 6 computers in my life, and they was all slow. five of them was second hand, one new but even the new was Slow and horrible. the Pro's of owning a lap top.

Movement:
Fuck, Where can't you use a Laptop? You can sit on the toilet if you need too, the lounge the bed ect. You can't do that with a normal computer. You can take them anywhere.

the Mouse:
When i first got my laptop, I couldn't stand using the mouse but now, I find it much easier then the normal mouse. You don't have to worry about it breaking as easy, Don't need to clean it, and you don't need space on your desk to have one.

the Screen:
That was the one thing i hated with my old computer, I hated having the computer being in the one position. But with a laptop its so much easier. Just push on it and you can have the angle wherever you want.

the size:
Its way easier to store a laptop. They can fit virtually anywhere. You don't need a table espeacially for it.

There is more i will discuss later. What do you prefer to use? why? Please post reasons.

Your choice of computer should really depend on what you want your computer to do for you.
If you are serious computer gamer, you would deffintly want a desktop, as they are much eaiser to upgrade and cost alot less as well.

Laptops are alot better if you just like surfing the internet, writing, music and movies, just more basic stuff.

I have both, I enjoy the mobilty of my laptop, being able to take my music and movies everywhere is awesome, but I also enjoy coming home to a computer with huge amounts of power and speed.

I use both.

If you don't need the mobility, then desktop computers are by far the better way to go. They're more powerful, cheaper, sound better and are easier to tinker with, not to mention the screen is so much bigger and you don't have 4-6 pounds sitting on your lap making you impotent.

The only advantage to laptops is the portability, and I guess the webcam/mic feature, if you're into that.

Personally, I prefer desktop computers.

I'll agree with Slyfox here and say that the only real advantage to laptops is portability. I have one, and I use it on my lunch and other breaks to mess around. But, if I have the choice, I will always opt for my desktop. On my desktop, I have more RAM, more hard drive space, a bigger monitor, and I don't have to worry about losing my sperm count since I have a nice computer desk (of course, I could just not put my laptop on my lap, but, by habit, if I put it on a flat surface, I always just end up grabbing it and putting it on my lap).

I only have a desktop in my house but I'd absolutely love to own a laptop. I borrowed my Grandad's laptop for a few weeks and found the sense of freedom and (almost) responsiblity a pretty awesome thing. Never before could I have watched Football on the TV and been on MSN discussing the game with a mate at the same time.

Iv yet to own my own desktop, iv had 2 laptops so far but id much rather have a desktop.

Desktops are a lot easier to upgrade, at the current rate of technology iv had my latest laptop about 9 months now and the graphics card is starting to struggle with the latest games. To upgrade my graphics i would basically have to consider buying a whole new laptop...

I love the portability of a laptop but in terms of performance and upgrading i'd go for a desktop everytime

EDIT: Touch pads: absolutley useless cant stand using them. IMO one of the worst inventions in the history of computing

I don't like laptops. The keyboards are always weird and so is the mouse thing. The only possible advantage a laptop has is that you can move it places. But the thing is, if I want to go somewhere other than my room I'm probably not going to want to take my laptop with me. I don't think my laptop has ever left my room actually. Yeah, they're just not particularly great, desktops do everything I want.

This is an easy choice, I love my personal desktop and work desktop far more than my personal laptop and my work laptop. The biggest reason is, I built both my work and personal desktops, so there's a lot more love and attention to detail made there. If a part breaks in my desktop, I can go order a replacement part and swap it out and not have any major downtime. Now if a part inside my laptop were to break, then that will be slightly more difficult to either find a replacement part for it, or talk to Acer or HP tech support about warranty replacement. If I were to replace the part myself, well have you ever taken a laptop apart?

Performance wise my desktop has a AMD x2 2.8 Ghz processor, and 4 GB RAM, and outperforms my work laptop which has a Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 Ghz and 3 GB RAM. And again, here is another big thing, with my desktop, I plan on upgrading it here shortly and put in a new motherboard, a quad core processor, and at least 8 GB of RAM so it will be ready for Windows 7 when it comes out. My laptop, well I can only add 1 GB of RAM to it and that is all I can really upgrade on it.

Moving on, a desktop offers me more space in regards to typing and using a mouse. I hate using the pad on laptops and I always have a USB mouse plugged in. Finally my desktop also has a 22" Widescreen LCD monitor, and I will be adding a second one to the mix in the near future as well. My laptop only has a 15.4" screen, and it rarely moves from my desk.

That brings me to the only thing the laptop has my desktop doesn't, portability. Portability is not that important to me however, because I rarely go anywhere that would require the use of a laptop. If I am going to a restaurant, I'm not bringing the laptop with me even if the restaurant has wifi available. I'm on a computer for a good majority of the day, work and play wise, it doesn't bother me to not have a laptop sitting right next to me wherever I go. That's what I have my phone for anyways.

Laptops are great for University, it means good flexibility in what you can do and just sign onto anywhere. I enjoyed having one at uni and having the ability to go online anywhere was great. Was a shame that I went through 3 of them in 3 years. Which is why I find the biggest fault, overpriced and less lifespan.

I've switched back to a desktop, while I miss chatting to housemates and people while on the net, I prefer sitting in a comfy chair to do bits as opposed to crouching in a ball on the laptop to do it. I would put desktop over because you can do so much more for less and the main set back is mobility, but that's what using other people's laptop is for when you need to check emails!

It really depends. If you're looking for mobility, go for that laptop. If you're looking for power, storage, performance? Go for a desktop. Now I'm basing these on the desktop not being 10 years old, lulz.

Personally, I have both. My desktop is what I use for when I play games or want to store anything. I spent 2,500 dollars on that computer (well..technically my scholarship did), it had better damn well play my games like I want them to be played. You haven't seen Fallout 3 until you've played it on a 22-inch HD monitor. FUCK.

My laptop I use when I dont feel like sitting at my computer anymore. Or when I'm starting to go to sleep, and I want to chill in my bed for a few minutes before I officially shut down for the night.

I own a laptop and really prefer it to the desktop.but really thats because i have a big family and when we only had one desktop there was always someone on it. my dad for work or my mom for email or my brothers for there games. eventually we all got laptops so its pretty cool how when we want to get on the internet we can just get on our own laptops.

so if i had to choose i would really prefer the laptops to desktops. plus its more private and we can go to our rooms if we need them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back