Suggestions for a Laptop

Megatron

Justin Verlander > You
Since I am about to enter college in the next year, my parents have agreed that I need a new computer for myself (the one I use is old and more of the family computer) and are willing to get me one for Christmas. Because it'll be about the only gift I get (aside from clothes) money isn't really a problem. I've been doing some looking here and there, but I know there are some tech-savvy guys here that know more about the best computers out there than I do. So I ask you, if you could have any laptop, regardless of price, which would it be and why. I'm really open to any type of laptop as well.

Ball is in your court, WZers.

I have the Dell Inspiron BTX,N7110.

I'm pretty happy with it. It was just over $600 but a friend of mine hooked me up with his employee discount so I don't know how much the retail price is.

It serves it's purpose for everything I need if for.
The only problem I have had is the screen got cracked and I had to send it in for repair. They replaced my Windows software and when they did they didn't it didn't include the Windows essentials pack. I had to go online and download that myself.

I don't know what you're really looking for in a computer. I record live video for my band by plugging into the mixer (it has a built in camera), come online, store music to put on my mp3 player and have a game on it. I don't really need it for too much stuff.

I'm happy with it overall. Dell tech support sucks though.

Don't worry so much about brand, but rather what kind of hardware it has.

I always prefer, especially if you're going to be lugging it around college, a lightweight laptop. I also like plenty of RAM in my machines.

It will also depend on what you want to do with your machine. Will this strictly be a machine to write papers and do Facebook, or will you be gaming on it? Will you be running college department software on it? If you're planning for more than word processing, music listening and Internet browsing, you'll want a beefier processor and graphics card. If you're wanting to use it as a media machine, you'll want more hard drive space.

Basically, I'd say find a lightweight laptop with a lot of RAM, and then decide from there.

EDIT: Here's a link I use all the time to compare processors. Just find a machine, type in the processor into the search and compare. I think it can also do graphics cards and maybe other things.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/

Depends what you need the laptop for. I have an asus I3 with Windows 8, which i can pretty much do w/e I want. Might be a bit pricey but it's a solid investment, I use it for college too. Also if you're a gamer, I suggest an alienware. I sold mine a while ago because I didn't have any time anymore.

Figured I should answer some of these questions :unsure:

It will also depend on what you want to do with your machine. Will this strictly be a machine to write papers and do Facebook, or will you be gaming on it? Will you be running college department software on it? If you're planning for more than word processing, music listening and Internet browsing, you'll want a beefier processor and graphics card. If you're wanting to use it as a media machine, you'll want more hard drive space.

Basically, I'd say find a lightweight laptop with a lot of RAM, and then decide from there.

This will be my personal computer. So writing papers and surfing the net for sure. Likely putting iTunes on it as well. Other than that, I can't think of much going on at the moment.

Here's the one I was looking at, http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/ho...vilion/B8B82AV?HP-Pavilion-Sleekbook-14z-b000

Seems cheap enough, but large enough to accomplish what I want. 500 GB hard drive and 4 GB memory would be more than enough, right?

Figured I should answer some of these questions :unsure:

This will be my personal computer. So writing papers and surfing the net for sure. Likely putting iTunes on it as well. Other than that, I can't think of much going on at the moment.

Here's the one I was looking at, http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/ho...vilion/B8B82AV?HP-Pavilion-Sleekbook-14z-b000

Seems cheap enough, but large enough to accomplish what I want. 500 GB hard drive and 4 GB memory would be more than enough, right?
It's not a great machine, but it's not a bad machine. It's under 4 pounds, which is a plus, and 4 GB memory and 500 GB hard drive is pretty standard these days, but Windows 8 doesn't require any more than Windows 7, so there's nothing wrong with it. Personally, I like to beef my machines up more, so as to be future proof, but it's not my money this time. Barring any unforeseen events, that machine will probably take you through college.

I will make one suggestion though. Customize the laptop and upgrade your hard drive to the 500 GB 7200 RPM. For $10, it's worth it. RPM is how fast your hard drive disk spins, and the faster it spins, the faster it retrieves information, which means your computer will use files faster. For $10, it'd be worth it. And don't buy any kind of software with it, don't buy Windows 8 Pro, don't buy anti-virus or anything like that. Just get the machine. Quite frankly, if I were you, I'd make recovery discs when you first get it, and then dump Windows 8. On a non-touch screen laptop, Windows 8 has received mostly horrible reviews (and for good reason).

At the end of the day, that's a pretty decent machine for the money. If you're willing to spend more, you can do better, but for $450 that's probably the best machine available.

EDIT: Before you buy it, you might want to check with whichever university department you're planning on attending, and making sure there's no required machine. I know many college departments require a certain type of laptop, whether it's Windows or Mac. For example, the guy I work with in our tech department HAD to buy Macbook for his kids in college, because they were told that's the kind of computer they HAD to have.

I've got a Sony Vaio which I've had for about 3 years now. It still runs like new despite my sister downloading games on it that I've had to delete. :suspic:

Anyway mine has an i5 intel core processor with 4 GB of RAM and 600 GB of memory.

Sly: My mom's hp has windows 8 and it sucks. I don't know why Microsoft didn't just stick with Windows 7. It's no faster and it's annoying as hell.

That processor is kind of shit though. The E series AMD mobile CPU's pale in comparison to the A series.

Just to give you an idea:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215622

4 GB of RAM, 500 GB Hard Drive. It says that the max memory is 8 GB but the reviewer says that he put 16 in. Either way you have the option to upgrade that part and memory is cheap.

The A8 processor in that laptop scores a 2,680 compared to the E2-1800 in the HP laptop linked that scores only 828. It's a significant difference and it's only about $30 more then the HP.

Or:

If you would rather have an Intel Processor:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215441

Core i5, 6 GB of RAM, 500 GB Hard Drive, $520. Graphics won't be nearly as good as the first laptop I linked but from the sound of it that won't be much of an issue for you.

Also I'm not trying to push Acer here, it's just so happens it's the brand of the laptops that I'm seeing good spec to price on. I'm fairly brand neutral for laptops except for Toshiba because I've seen them die horribly many times.

So for a little more you can a lot more processing power for your money. The A8 processor was around 2,680, while the Core i5 is 3536. Either of them will be a big jump up from the processor in the HP you're looking at.

I use a Mac Book Air. It felt small at first, but after a year of use everything else feels to large. I love this computer. If you want something bigger, there's always the Pro. Plus, it has Itunes and many other great apps available.

Yes let's spend $1500 to get the same specs as the Core i5 laptop I posted up earlier that cost only $520.

Oh wait a second, the CPU is better on the Acer, has more RAM out of the box and doesn't have an inferior OS on it? Sounds better to me at a third of the price.

That processor is kind of shit though. The E series AMD mobile CPU's pale in comparison to the A series.
Yes, but if all he's doing if surfing, writing papers and iTunes, I didn't really see the point in caring.

4 GB of RAM, 500 GB Hard Drive. It says that the max memory is 8 GB but the reviewer says that he put 16 in. Either way you have the option to upgrade that part and memory is cheap.

The A8 processor in that laptop scores a 2,680 compared to the E2-1800 in the HP laptop linked that scores only 828. It's a significant difference and it's only about $30 more then the HP.

Or:

Core i5, 6 GB of RAM, 500 GB Hard Drive, $520. Graphics won't be nearly as good as the first laptop I linked but from the sound of it that won't be much of an issue for you.

Also I'm not trying to push Acer here, it's just so happens it's the brand of the laptops that I'm seeing good spec to price on. I'm fairly brand neutral for laptops except for Toshiba because I've seen them die horribly many times.

So for a little more you can a lot more processing power for your money. The A8 processor was around 2,680, while the Core i5 is 3536. Either of them will be a big jump up from the processor in the HP you're looking at.

I'm not a fan of Acer for the same reason you're not a fan of Toshiba. And $70 is a big difference for something which may not even matter.

Of course, if it were me, I'd be pushing for better specs, but it's not my money.

Yes, but if all he's doing if surfing, writing papers and iTunes, I didn't really see the point in caring.

For $30 more he can have over three times the CPU. That's a bargain. If he decides to do more with his laptop later on at least he'll have some room to work with rather then a bargain basement CPU that under even a little stress could slow to a crawl. Better CPU, the A8-4500M is a quad core processor so we're already improving with 4 cores over two, better graphics. It's a little bit of money to gain a lot.

I'm not a fan of Acer for the same reason you're not a fan of Toshiba. And $70 is a big difference for something which may not even matter.

I wasn't sure where his exact budget was so I offered that as a suggestion as well that's higher then the one he posted.

Also went ahead and custom configured an HP Pavilion just so it's not Acer, I was able to put that A8-4500M processor in there and it came out to be $25 more then the one he posted.

Of course, if it were me, I'd be pushing for better specs, but it's not my money.

Of course we both agree on this, when it comes to buying a laptop you want to get the best bang for your buck as far as specs to price are concerned because the only thing you can change after the fact is RAM and hard drive space (and I'm talking from a regular consumer's point of view) so thus why I suggested going for something with that A8-4500M processor over the E2-1800 especially when the cost difference isn't all that much but the performance increase is triple.

Thanks for the responses guys.

It's not a great machine, but it's not a bad machine. It's under 4 pounds, which is a plus, and 4 GB memory and 500 GB hard drive is pretty standard these days, but Windows 8 doesn't require any more than Windows 7, so there's nothing wrong with it. Personally, I like to beef my machines up more, so as to be future proof, but it's not my money this time. Barring any unforeseen events, that machine will probably take you through college.

I will make one suggestion though. Customize the laptop and upgrade your hard drive to the 500 GB 7200 RPM. For $10, it's worth it. RPM is how fast your hard drive disk spins, and the faster it spins, the faster it retrieves information, which means your computer will use files faster. For $10, it'd be worth it. And don't buy any kind of software with it, don't buy Windows 8 Pro, don't buy anti-virus or anything like that. Just get the machine. Quite frankly, if I were you, I'd make recovery discs when you first get it, and then dump Windows 8. On a non-touch screen laptop, Windows 8 has received mostly horrible reviews (and for good reason).

Care to explain why I shouldn't bother with antivirus or any software on it? Do you think something such as Avast (which is on this computer and is free as far as I know) would do just as well as paying for something?

And what would you just go with - Windows 7 over 8? Or is there another that you would prefer over either?
At the end of the day, that's a pretty decent machine for the money. If you're willing to spend more, you can do better, but for $450 that's probably the best machine available.

I don't think money will be too big of an issue for them since this is literally one of the two or three things I'm gonna get for Christmas and if it push comes to shove I'll contribute some. I'll admit I want somewhat of a badass machine and, as long as it doesn't reach ridiculous prices (say over $900-1000) price shouldn't be an issue.

EDIT: Before you buy it, you might want to check with whichever university department you're planning on attending, and making sure there's no required machine. I know many college departments require a certain type of laptop, whether it's Windows or Mac. For example, the guy I work with in our tech department HAD to buy Macbook for his kids in college, because they were told that's the kind of computer they HAD to have.

Either college that I will go to are some of the largest in the state (MSU and CMU) so I'd be surprised if there was a computer requirement. Was their school a smaller private school? I'll be honest, I'm not concerned at all that my college will accept it.

So what exactly do those scores mean? Are those ratings?

Or:

Yeah my family has had two Toshibas before and, needless to say, they aren't being used anymore. That's about the last brand I'm interested in.

As said before, money shouldn't be a big issue unless it gets too pricey. So tell me, what would be your recommendation (and if you could go into a little bit of detail on what your measurements mean that'd be great).

Care to explain why I shouldn't bother with antivirus or any software on it? Do you think something such as Avast (which is on this computer and is free as far as I know) would do just as well as paying for something?
Microsoft Security Essentials works better than any anti-virus I've used in the last several years. I believe it's baked into Windows 8 as Windows Defender, but it's the same thing. Any software you'd have to pay for, you can find better for free.

And what would you just go with - Windows 7 over 8? Or is there another that you would prefer over either?
If you get the choice, go Windows 7.

I don't think money will be too big of an issue for them since this is literally one of the two or three things I'm gonna get for Christmas and if it push comes to shove I'll contribute some. I'll admit I want somewhat of a badass machine and, as long as it doesn't reach ridiculous prices (say over $900-1000) price shouldn't be an issue.
Tell me the most you'd want to spend and I can probably do better than that one.

Either college that I will go to are some of the largest in the state (MSU and CMU) so I'd be surprised if there was a computer requirement. Was their school a smaller private school? I'll be honest, I'm not concerned at all that my college will accept it.
It was Mizzou. Size of the school doesn't have anything to do with it, it's all about the specific department you're looking to enter. I'd do some research if I were you. Last thing you'd want to do is buy a laptop and then be told you need something else.

So what exactly do those scores mean? Are those ratings?
Yes, they rate how good the processor is.

As said before, money shouldn't be a big issue unless it gets too pricey. So tell me, what would be your recommendation (and if you could go into a little bit of detail on what your measurements mean that'd be great).
I'll do some research in a bit and I'll find something.

Here's a terrific machine. It's more expensive, but it's fucking kickass.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+...218806578593&skuId=6775213#tab=specifications

It has a top notch processor, the most RAM you'll find in any normal store bought machine (8 GB), 750 GB hard drive, and while it's a little heavier than the laptop you saw, 4.2 pounds is still pretty light. I believe that's the weight of the laptop I use at school, and I carry it everywhere. It also has two USB 3.0 ports as well as HDMI out. The only downside to this machine is that the graphics card is not as good as the next two.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+...218833963221&skuId=7192142#tab=specifications

There's another one, which is slightly more expensive with a slight downgrade in processor (but still good) and weighs more, but it also comes with a Blu-Ray player in the machine and a better video card.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung...218806576749&skuId=6770111#tab=specifications

And here's another laptop which is the lightest of the three, doesn't have as good of a processor as the first one or a Blu-Ray player like the second, but is also noticeably less expensive.

All three have 8 GB of RAM and 750 GB of hard drive space. All three have a much better processor. If money up to $800 is not a big deal, and you don't need a Blu-Ray player or play graphic intensive games, the Asus is pretty hot.

Ty will probably say the same thing.

Sly: My mom's hp has windows 8 and it sucks. I don't know why Microsoft didn't just stick with Windows 7. It's no faster and it's annoying as hell.
Dump it. Go with OpenSuSE. KDE is a beautiful desktop environment, it's fast and smooth. I haven't regretted putting it on my laptop once.

Here's a terrific machine. It's more expensive, but it's fucking kickass.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Asus+-+...218806578593&skuId=6775213#tab=specifications

It has a top notch processor, the most RAM you'll find in any normal store bought machine (8 GB), 750 GB hard drive, and while it's a little heavier than the laptop you saw, 4.2 pounds is still pretty light. I believe that's the weight of the laptop I use at school, and I carry it everywhere. It also has two USB 3.0 ports as well as HDMI out. The only downside to this machine is that the graphics card is not as good as the next two.

Bought this laptop just last week at Best Buy. Terrific. Not one complaint from me.

All three have 8 GB of RAM and 750 GB of hard drive space. All three have a much better processor. If money up to $800 is not a big deal, and you don't need a Blu-Ray player or play graphic intensive games, the Asus is pretty hot.

Ty will probably say the same thing.

I looked at them and the Asus does intrigue me. I've been given the ok on having it as expensive as I want, but I won't be playing games or watching DVDs on there. They all run at the same speeds, though, correct?

After reading some of the reviews, how concerned should I be about Windows 8 with it? There were many reviews complaining about Windows 8 being a pos on this laptop and that's not what I want if I'm getting a near 800 dollar laptop.

I looked at them and the Asus does intrigue me. I've been given the ok on having it as expensive as I want, but I won't be playing games or watching DVDs on there. They all run at the same speeds, though, correct?
Technically no, but I have serious doubts you'd ever notice the difference. The only time you might notice a problem is if you were going to game on there, but since you say you don't plan on it, then you likely will not.

After reading some of the reviews, how concerned should I be about Windows 8 with it? There were many reviews complaining about Windows 8 being a pos on this laptop and that's not what I want if I'm getting a near 800 dollar laptop.
There's nothing you can really do about it. You're not going to be able to find a laptop that comes with anything but Windows 8, unless you special order.

There are things you can do after you get the laptop, but the laptop is going to come with Windows 8 whether you want it or not.

There's nothing you can really do about it. You're not going to be able to find a laptop that comes with anything but Windows 8, unless you special order.

There are things you can do after you get the laptop, but the laptop is going to come with Windows 8 whether you want it or not.

Alright, just checking.

And you would recommend buying the hardware only and no software/extras? What about Microsoft Office Home and Student (Word, excel, powerpoint, etc.)? It's 120 bucks, but a lot of those programs I'd likely be using.

Alright, just checking.

And you would recommend buying the hardware only and no software/extras? What about Microsoft Office Home and Student (Word, excel, powerpoint, etc.)? It's 120 bucks, but a lot of those programs I'd likely be using.

LibreOffice is free, and includes software which is basically the same as Word, Excel and Powerpoint. The only thing LibreOffice doesn't include is an alternative for Publisher, and Scribus can do that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back