I'm reading the Hunger Games...

The 1-2-3 Killam

Mid-Card Championship Winner
...and it's actually NOT terrible.

I watched the movie a few weeks ago when it (and by "it" I mean a proper torrent) came out on blu-ray, and to my surprise I thought it was quite good. Like most teen-crazes I had expected it to be dripping with sexual tension, poorly written and completely unbelievable. But it was cast really well, Jennifer Lawrence is GORGEOUS, and the plot of the whole thing was fun and compelling enough that I kept it on.

So now I'm ready the book, because I had nothing else on my iPad to read. It's not bad. I actually think I prefer the film so far, but going about it in that order usually yields that result for me.

Anybody else see/read Hunger Games and find it enjoyable?

Anybody have anything they read/saw that they though was bound to be terrible, but ended up being a pleasant surprise?

I saw the film and I dug it. It wasn't fantastic or whatever, the plot was kind of meh, but I thought the lead role was pretty well done and the supporting cast was decent. Action was pretty well choreographed and the writing was solid. Nothing that blew me away but I certainly wasn't bored. Solid 6-7/10 I'd say.

Might try the books eventually, since they seem like I could pound them out rapidly.

I think I gave it upwards of an 8, actually. But I'm also in love with post-apocalyptic fantasy - and a little bit with Woody Herralson - so I took to it a little bit more.

I must say I actually want to see the second film.

I think I gave it upwards of an 8, actually. But I'm also in love with post-apocalyptic fantasy - and a little bit with Woody Herralson - so I took to it a little bit more.

I must say I actually want to see the second film.

I'd have no interest in seeing it in theaters unless it was reported as phenomenal, but I'd give it a rental/download.

Went to see it in the cinema on the back of some surprising hype. Whoever said it was the best sci-fi film since The Matrix deserves to be slapped to the floor and never allowed to get up. Then again, it was almost worth the price of admission to see a man disguise himself as a cliff face. A mediocre teen flick that would have been much more bearable had the camera not been mounted to a vibrating ***** during the "action" scenes.

I haven't seen or read it, but from what I hear, whilst not even close to being up there with Twilight, its pretty solid teen literature.

Simple fact if the matter is, it's teen literature directed primarily at that demographic. Having said that, I found both the movie and the book fairly decent and enjoyable. And it absolutely puts Twilight to shame, both the movies and the books.

My wife is currently on the first and she has bought the three. I'll pick them up once she's done. But Jennifer Lawrence is hot as sin.

I've heard its a toned down version of Battle Royale.

That being said my sister (in the demographic) has said the books are better than the film

I really enjoyed the film, have not read the book. The wifey has read all three and agrees with those who are saying the book is better.

The movie is a fun flick. She probably could of made the last two books into one. You can easily read both of them in a day. I didn't really feel satsified with the third book, but then again I don't really know what my expectations were. Once you get over her choppy writing style, it is an alright read.

I've read the books. They're all really fucking great. My wife is (unfortunatley) a huge twilight fan, and she loved the books

When I heard what it was about I thought it was gonna be like The Condemned. Glad to say that the Hunger Games was actually quite good. Its roughly 2 1/2 hours but they didn't drag which is unusual for a movie that long.

Really enjoyed the books; if I remember correctly I blitzed them in about four days, and I'm usually a slow reader. Read the first two chapters at work (I work in a book shop) and decided to buy it so I wasn't confined to reading it there. And it kept me engaged throughout all three (the third is definitely the weakest, but still a good read) and unlike with Twilight, it didn't feel like a chore, like I had to finish it. (Then again, when the main point of a book/film is "who do I want as a boyfriend; the vampire or the werewolf?", I suddenly lose the will to find out.)

Film wise, it's not brilliant, but it serves it's purpose. It brings the book to life and does a good job. Not a fantastic job, but it's accurate enough.And Jennifer Lawrence is simply a great choice for Katniss. She shows a full range of emotions and is believable in the role. Unlike Kirsten Stewart, who simply knows how to look 'mildly confused' for EVERY FUCKING EMOTION.

But yeah, overall, the books and the first film are worth watching and seeing if you haven't yet.

A mediocre teen flick that would have been much more bearable had the camera not been mounted to a vibrating ***** during the "action" scenes.
Did you accidentally see a Michael Bay film, and thought it was Hunger Games?

Simple fact if the matter is,
:suspic:

My wife is currently on the first and she has bought the three. I'll pick them up once she's done. But Jennifer Lawrence is hot as sin.
This.

When I heard what it was about I thought it was gonna be like The Condemned. Glad to say that the Hunger Games was actually quite good. Its roughly 2 1/2 hours but they didn't drag which is unusual for a movie that long.
Yeah, I was worried about the film being given that much time, but it did a lot for character development. When you've got to make it through 24 people trying to kill each other, you're going to need a lot of time to work with. I never got bored, which is pretty impressive.

Unlike some, I don't think this series is targeted at JUST teenage girls (and annoying middle aged women). Seems like something both guys and girls can enjoy, and the film didn't come across as juvenile. When your main characters are all (at most) 18, of course it's going to appeal to a certain demo. But that's all part of the concept.

Like I said, the plot is the reason I enjoyed it so much. I've always LOVED the idea of an island where people fight to the death. Ever since reading Lord of the Flies as a kid, that sort of narritive really gripped me. The best (by miles and miles) I've read on the topic is a giant story arc called Greed Island in the manga series "Hunter x Hunter". It's essentially a bunch of world-class hunters, assassins, fighters, etc. trapped on an island looking for treasure and trying not to die.

It seems to be the case that every film adaption is not as good as its source material. The only exceptions, in my opinion at least, are Fight Club and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, both of which make a perfect transition from page to screen, mostly owing to having fantastic, intelligent directors behind them both.

Regarding Hunger Games, it's not a bad read; completely unchallenging and I couldn't invest in any of the characters except for Rue, but it certainly maintains a decent pace and keeps you anticipating the next death.

The film adaption was fairly faithful in the sense that all the redeeming qualities of the story were retained whilst all the niggling doubts and holes were still left in as well. But overall, I don't mind the franchise, and it doesn't seem to have spawned an army of brain-dead followers like the Twiglet books did.

Also, I know people had gripes with Jennifer Lawrence being cast as Katniss due to "false body image" issues (DEM CURVES), but conversely if the studio had cast a girl who actually did look like she had spent her life on a diet of berries and gruel then the same knee-jerk cynics would level the accusation of the film promoting anorexia.

I thought the characters were well done, but knowing they were all going to die kind of kept me at a distance. Katniss and Peeta were the two I really bought into, and their potential love story was really compelling, in my opinion. Which is why I hated the ending, and I'm not enjoying "Catching Fire" thus far. What was a good story turned into her whining all the time because life's not fair. It's not nearly as exciting...

I actually have to read the first book for college this year, so i'm glad its not that bad. I'm a bit of a bandwagon avoider (not by choice, but i often just assume things arent as good as the hype) but I was hoping it would be atleast a 5/10.

I like me some fantasy (jim butcher in particular) and some sci-fi and dystopia (gibson, dick, etc) so it might slot somewhere into my tastes, i hope.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back