I'm leaving on a jet plane...

I would say I'm surprised but considering the governments "commitment" to high speed broadband their idea of high-speed isn't exactly ambitious (in the UK I mean).

Have you had your first lesson yet? How was the 'support'?

Yes; it was fine. Support was limited, I was told the group the textbook and what they had just been studying and from there on I basically just winged it. Seemed to go pretty well. Everyone was certainly mighty impressed with my CELTA style lesson plan, it had columns and words like "oral fluency" and "lexis" and everything.

Also; I just looked up the numbers and Russian broadband actually averages slower than it UK counterpart. The fact that the school is providing me with a 50mb+ connection is just a happy chance.

A few updates; since I need to store notes for my inevitable "book on TEFL in Russia" somewhere, and some of the content is inappropriate to be stored in emails to my mother.

On day 1 I was very pleased to discover that my coworkers were almost exclusively, beautiful, English speaking, Russian girls of my own age. On day three I was disappointed to discover that every one of those girls is also one of my students. I'm reliably informed that everyone in Russia has hepatitis and I didn't bother getting vaccinated before I came, so it's probably for the best. After typing that I suddenly felt the need to go and remove "Gelgarin" from my facebook profile, just to ensure that nobody I know should ever stumble upon that last observation.

In my first week as an English teacher I was expected to deliver lessons to people who had been doing the exact same job for up to three years. I was under the impression that I knew what it meant to feel self conscious before, but it turns out I was wrong. In the end I settled for teaching them to be polite instead, spending 90 minutes on the concept of why calling someone I liar is inappropriate. Oh those crazy Russians.

On the topic of crazy Russians; here is a short list of things that this hole in the ground does not appear to have: Pesto, fruit squash of any description and cheddar cheese. I am certain that the list will grow exponentially as the weeks tick by, but these are the ones that are bothering me today.

This job seems to have been tailor made to look better on a CV than it deserves. I get to do small amounts of business English, medical English, IELTS (the big international language qualification), young learners, and CEA (basically teacher training in this capacity). This will all look very good when I start trying to escape to the Middle East.

I forgot to bring any nail clippers with me and had to resort to stealing scissors from the office in order to keep myself looking presentable.

I've been various degrees of ill since I arrived. I knew exposure to foreigners was bad for your health. The bigots had it right all alone. I'm a British male so I of course continued to stumble into work pretending nothing was wrong. Still, I think I'm over the worst of it so am making the best I can.

The illness was probably "Fresher's Flu" I get it every time a new cohort of students walk through the doors. It's like you're a Native American and the Spanish are coming clutching tissues and bags full of chicken soup.

OK; here's the situation.

Russia doesn't sell fruit squash; they don't even seem to understand the idea. I don't drink alcohol, nor do I drink tea, coffee or any other hot beverage. Russian tap water tastes like ass and probably gives you HIV.

This leaves me walking across town three times a week to the one shop I know where I can buy juice without having to pledge my allegiance to Stalin. Is there anything else I can drink that isn't likely to piss me off? I'm this close to buying a bottle of citric acid and boiling up my own.

coke-in-russia.jpg

I'm trying to avoid that particular pothole for the sake of my teeth; and the fact that I'd still be stuck lugging heavy bottles across town three times a week.

Get that powdered squash stuff you get in army ration packs. You could probably get someone here to send it to you if you can't find it there.

I'm trying to avoid that particular pothole for the sake of my teeth; and the fact that I'd still be stuck lugging heavy bottles across town three times a week.

How tolerant are the Russians over trolley theft? Either that or get one of those granny roller things and just make 1 journey for the week.

Worthing_Snow_Granny_Trolley_by_CyberPhantom.jpg

So I'm finally on fucking holiday. Russia uses the Julian calender, which means I had to work on Christmas day, but now I finally get a full ten days to myself during which I don't have to teach anyone. This is probably the first proper holiday I've ever had; deciding not to take any commissions for a month never really counted.

My boss has already begun hounding me to confirm that I'll stay for another twelve months once my contract expires (spoiler: I won't) and I'm running out of ways to dodge the question.

Various students have presented me with candy, Christmas decorations and imported PIMM's over the past week, which I have found incredibly touching. Also; a sixteen year old girl legitimately prefaced a question to me today with "If you were my father" which made me feel unbelievably old.

The weather was lovely today; a sunny -16 Celsius. Was -38 the other day, winter has still not yet peaked.

Come back to England and write part time whilst I look for the next job. With the experiences I've managed to save up I could legitimately double my starting salary by moving from Siberia to Jakarta and doing the exact same job.

Come back to England and write part time whilst I look for the next job. With the experiences I've managed to save up I could legitimately double my starting salary by moving from Siberia to Jakarta and doing the exact same job.

Best of luck with that.

Yeah, I've been watching videos of that this morning, and it looks pretty nuts. Glad to see you're okay considering the news here is making it sound pretty catastrophic (over 500 injured). I wonder when the last time something like this occurred was.

Yeah, I've been watching videos of that this morning, and it looks pretty nuts. Glad to see you're okay considering the news here is making it sound pretty catastrophic (over 500 injured). I wonder when the last time something like this occurred was.

Probably Tunguska (though that actually was a big deal); and no, not particularly serious. Bunch of people got cuts and bruises when the shock wave blew out windows and knocked shit over. Big fragments were kind enough to land in a lake rather than on Yekaterinburg.

So apparently in Russia you are expected to buy the cake on your birthday. They sent me out of the office at lunchtime to go buy them a cake, and in return for this they presented me with a leak. Fuckin' country.

That's crazy. Hey, are you apart of that meteorite rush that I keep hearing about over there? Or do know anyone who is going outside and digging through snow for those things?

No. I know people who saw it fly overhead, but nobody crazy enough to go searching for it. We've all seen the blob.

So today I accepted a new job; once again in Tyumen Russia. That's right; I'm crossing the iron curtain for a second time.

I'll be working at a different language school on account of me not wanting to put up with another one of my former employer's soliloquies about the problems with orthodox Jews, Muslims and male homosexuals.

I'll be earning slightly less money, but in exchange for this I won't have to work nearly as hard. The school I chose to accept a contract from already has their quote of native speakers filled for the year, so I'll be acting as an honorary Russian. A new and exciting chapter in the chronicle of Gelgarin will soon begin - although it will probably be remarkably similar to the old one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back