• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

If Kurt Angle had jumped to MMA in 2005 or 2006...

jmt225

Global Moderator
With the recent domination of wrestlers in MMA this past year or so, a friend of mine raised an interesting thought... imagine if Kurt Angle had become an MMA fighter instead of joining TNA when he left WWE back in 2006... how would he have done?

My friend believes Angle would have easily became the UFC Light Heavyweight Champion. It seems crazy when you first read that, but he brought up some valid points. Such as being an Olympic gold medalist wrestler, there was no way anyone would have been able to snuff his takedowns. No way. If back then you had trained him six months in Boxing, Jiu-Jitsu, and how to Ground and Pound properly, he would have done as much damage in the sport just as quickly as Brock Lesnar did, just because of his caliber of wrestling alone, and we've seen this past year more than any other time in the sport's history that if you're great at wrestling, you will have a shot in any fight.

Now, of course... you bring up Angle's injuries and it's like, that's the end of the discussion. There's no way with the injuries Angle had by 2005/2006 that he would be able to compete in MMA. However, it's easy to disagree with that, because fighting/training MMA is in no way, shape, or form tougher than pro wrestling. I strongly believe that Angle has caused more harm to himself wrestling in TNA and WWE these five years than he ever would have fighting in MMA, so I think that the "injury" excuse is completely irrelevant to the discussion.

So, what do you think? Is it really crazy to believe that had Angle joined MMA instead of TNA that he actually would have been a success and accomplish in the Light Heavyweight Division what Brock Lesnar has been able to accomplish in the Heavyweight Division? Is it really that crazy? I'm ready to hear your thoughts on it.

I dunno. Its an interesting concept but you gotta ask how much he might have lost from being in the WWE (and lost , I mean of his wrestling ability). Don't get me wrong, he'd still be an absolute monster on the ground but I think against people like Rua, Machida, and even Evan's he'd have some problems. All of them would either be able to evade him and pick him apart or pull some kind of submission from the ground.

I could see him being kind of like a Jon Fitch. He'd run through lower caliber people and anyone who couldn't handle his ground game but would NEVER be able to win the big one unless he got set up against a very lucky opponent (Say...a Griffin or MAYBE Rampage).

Personally, I think that if Kurt Angle had made the jump to MMA instead of TNA, it would have been a short and unsuccessful venture for him. Granted I am by no means a huge follower of MMA and as such I am somewhat ill-equipped to discuss it in detail. It just seems to me that most guys who are uni-dimensional and jump to the multi-faceted world of MMA don't fare too well. Of course Brock Lesnar is a clear exception to this statement, but let's face it, Lesnar is a beast and is the exception to most rules anyway.

I think Angle himself realized he couldn't make the jump successfully because I think if he felt that he could, he would have done so. Amateur wrestling doesn't really prepare you for the very real and brutal world of MMA. Pro wrestling prepares you even less. Sure Angle could have trained in other styles of MMA, but it would have been a work in progress. He's never shown an ability to be able to withstand a non-wrestling assault. His health is questionable. I could be mistaken, I just think that Angle would not have been well served to jump to MMA. WWE versus TNA could be debated to death, but it should have remained in pro wrestling, which of course he did.

I dunno. Its an interesting concept but you gotta ask how much he might have lost from being in the WWE (and lost , I mean of his wrestling ability). Don't get me wrong, he'd still be an absolute monster on the ground but I think against people like Rua, Machida, and even Evan's he'd have some problems. All of them would either be able to evade him and pick him apart or pull some kind of submission from the ground.

I could see him being kind of like a Jon Fitch. He'd run through lower caliber people and anyone who couldn't handle his ground game but would NEVER be able to win the big one unless he got set up against a very lucky opponent (Say...a Griffin or MAYBE Rampage).

Really? You compared Angles wrestling to Jon Fitch? A D-1 wrestler who never won a national championship compared to an Olympic gold medal winning wrestler? Absolutely no comparison. Go look at their credentials and you'd be able to tell just how far ahead Angle is than Fitch in wrestling. Only person I could even see coming close to stopping his takedown is Machida.

Now onto the topic I believe that had Angle switched over back then he would have been a monster. He was a fantastic wrestler, and if he got with a good camp he'd be a monster. Obviously his wrestling is as high as it can get, and if he worked striking and BJJ he'd be an absolute force. Only thing he'd have against him is injuries and the wear and tear that his body has gone through. Other than the injuries I can't think of why he wouldn't be an absolute force in MMA.

I don't see how Kurt could not have done at least a little bit of damage in MMA from the fact that he is indeed an established amateur wrestler. I'm sure someone here or there could do something about his take downs, like Brock Lesnar perhaps if they ever faced (Good god that would have been epic to see again).

However I'm not really sure how well he'd be doing, I mean it's hard to look at considering he did in fact not go to MMA, he didn't showcase anything for the MMA world to take consideration of how he would've done me thinks. Kurt Angle I'm sure could some way or another always make it within UFC, but I'm not sure he'd become a success in terms of actual champion material, much less ever be undefeated.

I think what comes to focus of it is the fact that, even in 2005 Angle wasn't a youngster, he was 36-37 back then after all. And I get there's probably some older than him, however I'm not expecting him to pull through as the top dog of whichever division he'd fall into if he entered MMA.

But I guess if he ever had entered it, I would've welcomed it had I been a fan around that time. A guy of Kurt's ring abilities as an amateur wrestler is something you should never discredit.

I don't think Kurt Angle would have been able to do much in the UFC at the point in his career. He was a bruised and battered man in his late 30's with no other training in mixed martial arts but his wrestling. I think guys like Liddell would have destroyed him on the feet if he ever came to mixed martial arts. Sure he probably could have out wrestled a lot of the lower level talent but once you get to the big boys you have to know how to do everything, and do it good so I don't think he would have amounted to much.

As much as I would love to see Kurt in MMA or if he had ever been in MMA.
He wouldn't last. From my point of view, and that is someone who actually partakes in
MMA Fighting at a amateur level (I have 5 years wrestling and 5 years boxing experience)
Sure his take downs would be good with his wrestling background, but to be competing against people whom been fighting and training for years among years. And they would obviously have a lot of experience in the cage. Kurt would get destroyed as much as I would love for him to succeed.

Really? You compared Angles wrestling to Jon Fitch? A D-1 wrestler who never won a national championship compared to an Olympic gold medal winning wrestler? Absolutely no comparison. Go look at their credentials and you'd be able to tell just how far ahead Angle is than Fitch in wrestling. Only person I could even see coming close to stopping his takedown is Machida.

You misunderstood me. I meant the style, not ability in said style. He'd be a lay and pray kind of guy in my mind.

Now onto the topic I believe that had Angle switched over back then he would have been a monster. He was a fantastic wrestler, and if he got with a good camp he'd be a monster. Obviously his wrestling is as high as it can get, and if he worked striking and BJJ he'd be an absolute force. Only thing he'd have against him is injuries and the wear and tear that his body has gone through. Other than the injuries I can't think of why he wouldn't be an absolute force in MMA.

I just see him being too cocky and full of himself (I mean, the guys gone on multiple times saying he could be a bunch of different people in the UFC and has never stepped up to back his words up). He'd try and lay and pray and I think many people would submit him.

I'm not trying to spam here, but wasn't this question answered when Daniel Puder put Angle in a Kimura and Korderas had to save Angle's ass?

Angle was a great wrestler, but I honestly don't think he would have lasted in MMA. As has been mentioned LnP would be his only way to victory and Puder showed what would happen if he tried that.

I'm not trying to spam here, but wasn't this question answered when Daniel Puder put Angle in a Kimura and Korderas had to save Angle's ass?

No, because even if that were true... that was against a Kurt Angle with no training in Jiu-Jitsu. He was still able to take Puder down in that match pretty easily if I remember correctly.

Besides, that was a freestyle wrestling contest, not an MMA bout. Angle wasn't properly prepared to defend himself with submissions; he was just looking to take Puder down and be kept from being took down himself. Puder trying to sneak in a Kimura was a shitty and unprofessional move on his part.

I thought it was classic and funny, TBH. Angle's challenge was bullshit. Aside from Randy Couture, Dan Henderson, or Matt Lindland coming out of the stands, who was HONESTLY going to beat Angle? Nobody. I'm not even sure one of those guys could have. Matt Lindland probably had the best shot, he scored Silver in the Olympics.

Back to the TS. I don't think Angle would have fared well. He could have won some bouts via LnP, as was said earlier, but I don't think he would have had an extremely long career because, as good as Angle's wrestling is, it's only one aspect of the game.

When you're that good at something, you tend to not focus as hard on other aspects of your game.

Here's a little bit of info; Rulon Gardner (fellow Olympic gold medalist) had one fight in MMA for Pride. He fought Hidehiko Yoshida who won an Olympic gold himself in Judo. Gardner won by a very boring decision.

I think Angle could have done pretty well in '06, probably coulda won a few fights, but he was older and not in that great of shape. I would've been more interested to see what he could've done fresh off of his Gold Medal win. He was in ridiculous shape, and if given the proper training, I think he could've flat out dominated.

I think Angle could've been successful in MMA if he would've started out back then. Having an Olympic gold medal in wrestling he would've been great at takedowns and stuffing them as well, also he would be able to transition with ease on the ground. The only problems I think he would encounter would be his ability to take strikes. Would he able to take a punch from Liddell back then? Also not as big as a problem because he would most likely win most of his fights by submission or decision but he would have to learn how to strike when hes at stand up. But with training he probably could've had a decent run somewhere in MMA.

I think the culmination of neck injuries would have been too much of a problem for him. He may as well of gone in there wearing a target on his neck. People would target it and go for the neck would have a lot of problems for him beyond his MMA career. Taking (for the most part) protected and planned bumps in a match took their toll. Imagine someone striking the neck and putting him in painful submissions.

Comparisons with him and Lesnar are ludicrous. Lesnar is younger and has suffered far fewer injuries which i think is the difference.

There are just too many guys at heavyweight and light heavyweight who are good at stuffing takedowns.

Kurt Angle would have to develop a respectable striking game quickly, and that wouldn't have happened. Look at Brock Lesnar- he can hit hard, sure, but look what happened when he was matched up against a superior striker in Shane Carwin. He spent five minutes using his face to wear down Carwin's hands. Brock's been at MMA for a few years now, with lots of training on his striking. It's still considered the weak part of his game. (Heath Herring thinks differently, but not many guys are going to sit there and take your best right cross to the face without trying to dodge.)

Wrestlers these days certainly seem to be doing better than people who transitioned out of striking sports like K-1, but that doesn't mean good wrestling can cover up other flaws in your game. You'd see a lot of guys keeping 2-3 feet away from Kurt while taking strikes inwards. You'd see a lot of knee kicks and head kicks, and any opponent would be looking to catch Angle when he came in for a shot.

Kurt's one hell of a wrestling talent, but I don't think he'd have had enough time to develop the full kit of tools he'd need to be successful in MMA.

There are afew negatives besides the injuries.

- At 36-37 years old, he would find it extremely hard to adapt to cross training. by the time he'd get anywhere with the different striking or submission holds......... he would be ateast 39.

- Kurt Angle would have a considerable amount of scar tissue from blading that would raise concerns for doctors after an effective punch, kick, elbow or knee would more often than not re-open these same scars.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back