• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

If JBL Were Playing Alberto Del Rio's Role Today... ?

WWEvsJosh

Pre-Show Stalwart
Its a simple question. If JBL was wrestling today and he was in ADR shoes would he be able to get a better reaction than ADR gets?

My answer would be YES. JBL to me knew the role way better than ADR and is a natural heel. I am not just saying that because ADR cant speak English that well I am saying that because JBL fits the part better. If you put JBL in ADR place and booked him the same way I would say JBL would be the biggest heel in the company.

What do you think?

I agree and think JBL would be bigger than ADR easily. Hell he still is imo.

JBL like him or hate him, has a great persona and knows how to work the mic, knows how to make his character be exactly what he is AND on top of that can pummel the hell out of people in the ring.

ADR has a lot of work to do to get on that level. Be it his ring work and his personality. I think he has potential, but he's no where near what JBL was and it's going to take quite a bit to get there.

Honestly, I never thought I'd say this, but going to back to another era, I actually miss JBL. I never liked him as a character, but in a way I guess I really did because he knew how to be a heel and he still knew how to come out for one random night a year with Ron Simmons and do their APA thing. Great character JBL was and hopefully if ADR keeps on this same scheme, then he can pull off something great in his career as well.

I agree with everyones statements.

If ADR was smart he should seek advice on his character from JBL. The reason why JBL was so successful imo was because he had the ability to push the envelope. He dissed the audience by reminding them how much successful and better he was then them. For goodness sakes Del Rio has props, but never capitalizes on what he's given. He should be braggin about his lifestyle, how rich he is, and bout the cars he drives. But no, we get the same lame, "I am going to beat you/You cant beat me" heel promos.

I like his ring work. Once he gets that heat he'll become more belivable in my eyes.

JBL was a better heel plain and simple. He new how to work a crowd. It also helped that unlike Mr Del Rio JBL has a strong grasp of the English language. It's hard to hate a guy when you're too busy feeling sorry for him for dying on the mic.

I don't think that JBL would fair any better than ADR in his position at this point in time, especially if we are basing this question off the idea that JBL remained in WWE from his last match until now. The gimmick would have long run it's course with JBL. Look at how quickly it has already become stale with Del Rio.

JBL had the advantage of tapping in to a heel persona that hadn't really been echoed very well since Million Dollar Man Ted Dibiase. His JR from Dallas by way of New York City was a stroke of genius on his part (according to his own accounts of the characters inception).

Del Rio could be much more over as a heel, or as a performer period if his character were to simply evolve in some way. Since day one, it has been about 'destiny'. The problem with that was, he fulfilled his 'destiny', and nothing really came of it. Then all of the sudden, becoming champion again became destiny. It sounded a bit too much like early heel Randy Orton, and just fell flat.

JBL would to a better job in that heel role by far. ADR he doesnt come off as a heel but more of just a jerk. JBL is was a bulley in and outside the ring. He had the look to be a heel. I mean ADR would be do better in that role if he had backup and atleast attempted to run rough shot over people. JBL had Jilian and Orlando to help build his persona. I will say onething they have in common. They both hate the miz.

I don't even get what this thread is about. You say if JBL were in Alberto del Rio's shoes, but JBL shouldn't even be in the same freakin' atmosphere as ADR. Fact is, JBL played the rich, arrogant tycoon a thousand times better than Alberto del Rio has. JBL was never that much in the ring but, my oh my, he was a delight on the mic. He knew how to work the crowd and piss them off and forcefully make them hate him so much they couldn't do anything BUT boo him. I believe that's something that you're born with, it can't be taught. And now, either Alberto isn't showing us all he's got or he just doesn't have it because lord knows he's been given opportunity after opportunity. Right now, the best thing Alberto could do is distance himself from the JBL aura, because it's not working. I like Alberto, he has in-ring presence but the gimmick just doesn't work for him, at all.

I'm not so sure I understand the question...

JBL and ADR's characters are THE EXACT same thing, if it's a who did it better, than definitely JBL... if it's if JBL was still around, who would be doing it better? The answer is still a resounding JBL.

Alberto kind of relies on cheap heat, in fact, most of his heat comes from Ricardo Rodriguez. Actually, I think Alberto and Ricardo should switch places.

JBL was so good at what he did, you started to personally hate him for no other reason than the character he portrayed. JBL spent years as a tag team wrestler and curtain jerker, then he was thrown in the main event... and actually took to it very well and had one of the most memorable title runs in history.

ADR on the other hand, has been built up for quite a while, winning MiTB, The Royal Rumble, and has been given victories over almost every major player in the WWE, yet his reigns were colossal flops.

JBL all the way.

I have to say that even though I found JBL to be extremely overrated for many years, he is tiers better than Del Rio at playing the wealthy schmuck character.

For me Del Rio is just too damn repetitive. It has nothing to do with his accent but rather with the dialogue. His whole "My name is, my name is Alberto..." lines in the initial run was starting to work but once he deviated from that it all went downhill. JBL on the other hand was far better at making his character interesting (Ala the Godzilla Japan/Barney promo) as well as just being more versed in playing a dick. The guy was no technician in the ring, in fact I though he was sub-par, but his ability to make the crows care about him got him to the top. To me Del Rio is just there.... I don't care that he hasn't been on WWE TV for some time nor will I care the day he returns.

Would he work better today than Del Rio is at his role. I would say slightly, not miraculously good but at least an improvement. By 2009 I was very uninterested in JBL as opposed to his 2004-2008 run which was brilliant on account of perfecting and honing his persona. He seemed to be quite refreshing to me upon brief return last year but I don't think he can have a long run as the same guy today.

JBL is worlds above Del Rio, let there be no doubt about that.

im not understanding the question of the thread? Is it saying JBL as a mexican aristocrat or JBL playing the rich arrogant heel?? JBL the rich arrogant ******** did such a beautiful job at that people really hated him IRL!! JBL is head and shoulders better than ADR could ever hope to be!! ADR IMO is kinda boring just blabs and blabs but JBL in his day could work the crowd and was a genius at telling a story!! ADR might get there one day but no where close to JBL! So in answer to this question in todays market yes JBL would do better than ADR

HAHAHA. That's not even a viable question. YES.

JBL is one of the biggest heels in WWE history. He could fart and get the crowd to boo him. He also had the ability to have people laugh at his pain but the next night, they'd go right back to booing him. He blew away ADR in the ring by far and blew him away on the mic. ADR is still too green to be compared to JBL. I do see ADR getting heat in a large portion at some time, but it just hasn't happened yet. It eventually will, but it will take something big to create that heat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back