• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

IDR's Seven* Ways to Build a Successful TNA product

I agree with most of them except The idea of not buying stars and getting out of Orlando (to an extent).

As long as they can still go and can contribute well in the ring I see no reason in not hiring former talent from other companies, hell Hogan came from AWA, Jericho came from WCW and Flair was knocking about NWA and look what happened to them. However I wouldn't buy talent that wouldn't play a contributing factor.

On travelling Some of the talent (young and old) are in TNA because the schedule is lighter, if TNA starts travelling on regular basis some of these talents might go back to WWE because it will be the same sort of schedule and they'll be pad more. I think they should go between certain places and travel between them, TNA had the Nashville Asylum (I think) a couple of years ago, so they could possibly travel between there and Orlando and somewhere else, this would freshen up the look of the product just enough without putting travel expenses to high.

I agree with most of them except The idea of not buying stars and getting out of Orlando (to an extent).

As long as they can still go and can contribute well in the ring I see no reason in not hiring former talent from other companies, hell Hogan came from AWA, Jericho came from WCW and Flair was knocking about NWA and look what happened to them. However I wouldn't buy talent that wouldn't play a contributing factor.

I already noted that some talent can be bought. I have no issue with that. I have issue with buying an entire main event scene and never building (or allowing to be built) any of the young guys in the company the fans so desperately want to see there get there.

On travelling Some of the talent (young and old) are in TNA because the schedule is lighter, if TNA starts travelling on regular basis some of these talents might go back to WWE because it will be the same sort of schedule and they'll be pad more. I think they should go between certain places and travel between them, TNA had the Nashville Asylum (I think) a couple of years ago, so they could possibly travel between there and Orlando and somewhere else, this would freshen up the look of the product just enough without putting travel expenses to high.

Also realize that, which is why I never said tour. I said get out of Orlando – there's a difference. If they just moved to New York (for example) and continued to do exactly what they are doing now, they'd have much more success IMO.

I already noted that some talent can be bought. I have no issue with that. I have issue with buying an entire main event scene and never building (or allowing to be built) any of the young guys in the company the fans so desperately want to see there get there.

Also realize that, which is why I never said tour. I said get out of Orlando – there's a difference. If they just moved to New York (for example) and continued to do exactly what they are doing now, they'd have much more success IMO.

Sorry man misinterpreted it when I read it lol.

Adding to IDR's initial post

I'd like to add the issue on storylines, stay consistent. This is TNA's biggest flaw when it comes to storylines, they start a somewhat interesting storyline (World Elite is a good example) and a few weeks later either completely drop it and move on without any closure (as is the case of World Elite) or leave it for a while and then bring it back when the initial interest has gone (Orlando Jordan's storyline is coming back after being started weeks ago)

On re-hashing old storylines, it's hard not to in wrestling but what TNA can do is put their own spin and make the storyline a bit more unique so it doesn't look like a blatant rip-off

For those of you who've been asking me to explain my signature, and for those of you who've just been waiting for me to do so, here it is:
Funny. It seemed pretty straight forward to me.

1. Build Stars. Don't Buy Them.

Yes, I'm aware that technically speaking all talents came from somewhere else at some point in time, be it the WCW, WWE, WWF, ECW, NWA, New Japan, etc., but no where in the wrestling industry is a company more discredited for signing on-the-declines, recent-releases or has-beens than than TNA. While in theory this isn't much of an issue as free agents are free agents, and talent is talent, every successful wrestling company in history has (generally speaking) built their biggest stars – not bought them. Three of the WWE's top-5 right now (IMO, Cena, Batista, Orton, Jericho and Edge) were all talent creations, not purchases. In fact, Cena, Batista and Orton all busted their way through the ranks in the WWE's developmental league OVW. Guys like The Giant (Big Show), Chris Kanyon, Kevin Nash, DDP and Daffney all developed their game by graduating through WCW's Power Plant. TNA doesn't have the same luxury as either powerhouse company seeing as they don't actually have a developmental league, but guys like AJ Styles, Desmond Wolfe, Samoe Joe and a number of their youth under contract despite coming from ROH and other independent circuits prior are still young enough to not be known for their work elsewhere (outside of the IWC), which still serves in the same manner in terms of building a star instead of buying one.

While RVD, Jeff Hardy, Kurt Angle, Mr. Anderson, D'Angelo Dinero and others are fantastic wrestlers, it's imperative that TNA still understand that youth will serve at one point or another if the company is to have any long-term success.

They've been hit-or-miss when it comes to this. Take Kurt Angle and Sting and compare them to Booker T and Bobby Lashley. Angle and Sting have basically become as much of a part of TNA's growth as AJ Styles and Jeff Jarrett. Booker and Lashley, well... I forgot they worked there.
2. Don't close any show with Hogan (or Flair).

Yes, we realize they're stars. Yes, we realize they're legends. Yes, we realize they're (wrestling) gods. No, that doesn't mean they're still relevant main event caliber stars. No, that doesn't mean they still belong performing in that spot. It's hard enough fighting the penchant for fans to be just as turned off (as they are turned on) by Hogan because of his selfish tendencies as it is. The last thing the company needs is him using the spotlight he's more than capable of shining on guys in need of it to continue shining it on himself.
I don't really mind. At least they aren't there alone or actually wrestling matches. Well Hogan isn't anyway. Which is freakin' unbelievable to me. The idea is to attract marks. Which TNA clearly lacks. Majorly. Who in TNA has those kinds of credentials that would suit a "mark draw"? Kurt Angle? He's an awesome wrestler, but not exactly "Mr. Charisma". AJ Styles? Who's that? That's what a non-fan would ask. Enter Hulk Hogan. read the following sentence and tell me which one would sound more attracting to a mark:

A) "Holy cow! AJ Styles beat up Ric Flair and his New Four Horsemen last night by himself!"

B) "Holy cow! Hulk Hogan beat up Ric Flair and his New Four Horsemen last night by himself!"

3. Add logic to storylines.

No more dropping the ball! I can't put it any simpler or in terms that could mean any more with less. Stories are supposed to arc and feuds are supposed to make sense. This crash-course TV shit is for the birds. It works for the momentary wrench-in-the-gears type swerve when you feel the company needs it, but to continue doing so week-after-week isn't any more compelling than it is confusing. If you're going to have Anderson and Pope feud because both need a new direction/partner, fine, so long as you actually explain why they're even feuding. If you're going to give RVD a title push, at least build to the fact that he's going to contend for the title. If you're going to have Flair feud with Abyss(mal) over Hall of Fame rings that don't even point to the Hall of Fame of your own company... actually, nevermind – that one isn't even moderately salvageable. :lmao:
I don't have much to argue here. You're pretty much right. Except for the whole HOF rings story. They are mocking WWE and funny enough, nobody seems to notice. Plus I find Abyss better than John Cena.
4. Get out of Orlando.

If the St. Louis (Saint Charles, Missouri) crowd that you drew for Lockdown 2010 wasn't proof enough that your company can and will draw and sell tickets if given the chance, I don't know what is. Futhermore, if you don't see the value in the size of your crowd making your product actually look more credible, I don't know what to tell you. Orlando is killing you, TNA. Absolutely killing you. Everything from the Cancer Crew you let into your doors week-after-week who do nothing but drag your product down by getting themselves over and onto your television broadcast by dancing around like idiots in front of the camera and chanting irrelevant and irreverent nonsense at the wrestlers on live television to the fact you make zero – count them – zero dollars on the price of admission because Universal Studios won't allow you to charge for the cost of ticket to your show because they own the building in which you film it is crushing you!
They're working on it, remember? They're under contract with Universal Studios right now, so they can't tape outside of it too often. But I wouldn't file this under complaint. Its bound to happen.

5. Be TNA, not WWE, WCW, ECW or WWF. Don't even be NWA.

Stop re-hashing the same tired and tried story lines that your competition exhausted and made famous a decade ago (or more). Even more so, stop thinking anyone still cares as it is! I am aware that the wrestling industry as a whole is for the most part one giant re-hash of some moment in time before it, but no company is more infamous for utilizing the same basic constructs that their competition has used (and often abused) before them like TNA. No one (and I speak for the general audience here) wants to see the nWo a la Kevin Nash, Scott Hall and Pac done all over again as a main event caliber angle when you're also re-hashing Golddust a la Orlando Jordan, Goldberg a la Rob Terry and Hulk Hogan a la Abyss(mal) at the same moment in time. It's too much credit conceded to your competition via the fact that you weren't creative enough to come up with your own ideas in the first place! Everyone begs, borrows and steals, but not everyone relies on all three at every turn as a means to sell their product on a weekly basis.
Golddust =/= Orlando Jordan. When has Golddust openly admitted to being a bisexual and saying he will do whatever he wants? I thought this convoluted scheme was cumming from Mr. OJ himself? (Yeah, I went there) Anyway, I think you're exaggerating a bit. Sure, right now 3 out of 5 TNA stories fall at one PPV but the ones that don't come out looking very well. Angle/Anderson, the X Division. There is currently way too much going on on one show alone. WWE has the benefit of having 2 brand fill one PPV so the shows have enough time to expand maybe 3-4 stories while the rest of the show strengthens said stories. If you want these stories to go through properly a second outlet would be necessary. A second show. Anywhere. Spike, MTV, Lifetime, Youtube, Playboy, just get a full on second show running. In one week we see Rob Terry finally show he has something. Next week he's nowhere to be seen. A second show would've speeded up this story and by now we would see these two at each others throats instead of seeing OJ pour mayonase on his face to get Terry's attention.
6. Market the product. You have to spend money to make money.

Facebook, Twitter and the internet in general can only do so much to sell your company to those who may not know about it. Take the time to advertise as best you can otherwise. You have to spend money to make money, afterall. The NYC billboard ads were a fantastic idea, as would any other promotional work you do in cities with media outlets as large as that, so capitalize on the opportunities there and market your product as best you can afford to as a means to sell it to new and old wrestling fans a like who may or may not know about your product already. In addition to this, get your biggest stars in front of cameras for a TNA plug at every opportunity. Free publicity is the best publicity – that means doing morning talk shows, radio and charity events especially.
Yes. More importantly is airing something as basic as a commercial. Come on! I barely see a TNA commercial. Only on Spike. Not to mention PPV commercials. I actually have to go on Youtube to find one. Come on! Airing a graphic on the background of the iMPACT! ZONE will only get people who already watch the product to buy. Expand.

7. Enjoy the success!

Self explanatory.
Likewise.

1. Build Stars dont buy them? (Disagree)

TNA is trying to get outside fans. Fans who left wrestling years ago or fans from WWE. To do that they need to see guys they know on television. If you never saw AJ or Samoa Joe then why would any stick around to watch them. I myself never like Aj Styles but since he has been put with Flair. I watched him more and more an like him now. He has grown on me. Other wise I could careless. I started a small liken for him when I saw Sting talk him out of retirement but turned the channel. No Joe I still hate him but really havent paid enough attention to him. The fans who left wrestling want to see Hogan,Sting,Flair and those other guys who were on from when they use to watch. You use those guys to get fans interested in TNA younger talent. As for WWE rejects Jeff Hardy is going to attract a WWE fan no doubt about it. Mickie James would attract a WWE fan. I was flipping the channel along time ago and saw Tara debut in TNA and I stopped and said hey I remember her in WWE. Then I ended up watching the show. People get on these old guys so much but they draw in the fans its up the the TNA young guys to peek thier interest.

no, i agree with what the thread starter said, I think its great to bring in new talent. But if you let them run through the roster, (Christian, Tomko, Rhyno, ECT.) and then they leave and your normal roster has already been run over and so it makes your roster look weak. So i think if you do have talent that was bought, make sure that you have a good relationship with that wrestler and the company and make sure you have them on a big fat contract. And if you develovope new talent you can catch peoples eyes. its just the way of the wrestling world. its been done since day 1. Think of when wwe was going up against WCW. they made Shawn Michaels, Bret Hart, Kevin Nash, Scott Hall, Undertaker, Stone Cold. now i know a few of those names wwe bought from wcw. but think about Where was undertaker in WCW? where was Austin in WCW? you gotta let your stars blossum and that gets newer stars, and more fans.

5. Be TNA not WWE,WCW,ECW,NWA? Again disagree....Flair/Hogan have history its not the same fued. Early it was Hogan red/yellow vs Flair an Horseman. The Flair face of WCW vs NWO. Now its another chapter both are past thier prime and out of world title reigns. Hogan runs TNA. Upon arriving Flair stole the face of TNA Aj Styles and turned him bad? Why wouldn't thier be a fued. He stole the companies top face? The one TNA could run with. Thats no where near close to the Horsemen or NWO story. Back in the 90's Hogan was the ultimate face of wrestling the Horsmen were by far the biggest heel group so when Hogan invaded thier turf um duh a fued. Then Hogan went to the NWO and tried to take over WCW the company Ric Flair helped build. Before it was just being the baddest heel group takin down the biggest face. Then it was a matter of survival to stop a take over. Others would be to long to explain. All long running tv shows have a long history behind it. These mega stars TNA has like Sting,Hogan,Flair have a long history its interesting to watch them evolve over the years. Infact without it then you go to fueds that have no meaning.

This is why they cant be any other promotion... WWE can be WWE cause they've been doing it for so long, NWA can be NWA cause....ect. but TNA has to be something tottally different. Cause if they try and be a WWE rip off then WWE can beat them cause they have so much expierence in doing it. TNA has to lead their own direction, think of the successful wrestling organizations,

Jim Crocketts, Lead by dusty Rhodes had a who's who in wrestling as far as talent, and started having PPV's.

WWF early 90's, Hogan Undertaker, Warrior, Savage. very family oriented which hasnt been done by any other company as big as the WWE

WCW later 90's, you think Bischoff was looking at what had already been done in wrestling and saying to himself "lets try to re-create that"-no Bischoff help lead the way. Now granted the gang warfare had been done but they let the cancer spread, and the shock factor of the mainstream stars switching over, Savage, sting, hogan, luger ect. but aside of the nWo WCW had a high impact fasted paced show, and with ted turners $ they went Prime Time and were # 1 in the wrestling world

As you can see these wrestling companies werent riping any other company off, they had a vision and went to try something different in the wrestling buisness. Can TNA achieve the same success? Idk but i believe they will be more successful if they create their own destiny.

I disagree with the way IDR phrased the way they should get talent. The point has been clarified enough that it is decent but I fail to see how TNA is not already doing that. That being mixing in guys who have a homegrown feel Styles, Morgan, Beer Money etc. with other "purchased" talent. Signing names that can still work (RVD, Hardy) or have untapped potential (Anderson, Pope) is absolutely what they should be doing. What they need to not do is sign nostalgia names that cannot wrestle well anymore.

I actually think TNA's biggest problem is not "Be TNA not WWE,WCW,ECW,NWA?" but is to get a solid loyal fanbase that is convinced they are their own product. It seems like the fanbase is divided among wwe first fans and indy first fans. TNA is or at least was booked to reflect this combination. The problem was then no matter what they do the polar people on either side can find something to dislike. I think when Hogan and co came in they decided if they were going to attempt to go mainstream they had to stray a little further from the indy stuff and closer to wwe stuff. That is probably true. However, short-term it is a problem because then all the indy people are annoyed and the wwe are less likely to accept the product when they keep claiming the two are at war. I think Hogan etc. is still searching for what it is that makes them unique stylistically in this new era of the company. If they can settle on something and sell people on it then they can build the fanbase they desire. It is not that being able to combine styles from attitude era, wcw, ecw and nwa is stale or unimpressive. It is that the cohesive element that ties it altogether is missing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back