*MERGED* IDR's Seven* Ways to Revitalize the X Division

i wasnt saying daniels would be the face of the company, but a great addition to the x division

as for AJ it might be a step back, but i could help it grow and he can move back up later, i think it would be worth it. AJ is a company minded guy and i think if it would help the x division move backinto focus, he would do it. i dont think we should look at it as a step back though. it should be like ufc, not 1 division is more important than the other

While it'd be a noble move, I already think Joe is fulfilling that by seemingly stepping back from the World Title picture for the X Division, but either way it's still a demotion of sorts.

AJ is still too relevant to the World Title picture right now to just jump back. Doing so would make very little sense in terms of his character development.

I think there may be enough teams for the new tag belts with generation me, the guns leathal consiquenses, Ink Inc., WGGTT, and maybe british invasion

Consequences Creed was let go, so Lethal Consequences are no more, British Invasion are finished as Williams is running a singles campaign and and TWGTT are not employed by TNA, so realistically speaking, you only hvae Ink Inc., Generation Me and MCMG. Not enough.

Number five would have to be one the thing on this list that bugs me the most. And it's not even the fact that you claimed Eric Bischoff (only an on-screen talent at the time) had a hand in developing Money in the Bank and the Elimination Chamber. I can let that slide. I think the fact that this was listed the way it was is a step in the wrong direction. Innovation just because doesn't really fly with me. I think those major innovations should be used if you have a great deal of intermingled feuds that need something extra. I'm old fashioned like that.

However, I do agree with building a new core group of wrestlers. I'm a fan of great feuds and personal issues, and part of that is establishing big names in the division to make personal issues worth investing in. I agree with Kendrick and Joe (if Joe is indeed destined to remain in the XD at this point) as choices to fill that order. Aries and Daniels also have something to offer as they have personalities and charisma, something that would keep me from employing Tyler Black or Shelton Benjamin. Great wrestlers are needed to form this core group, but you also need a group of guys with "it." I'd definitely be into a division rocking Aries, Daniels, Kendrick, Shelley, Sabin, and Joe as the key players. Heck, what's Jimmy Jacobs up to these days?

Anyway, I've said my peace. Core personalities and feuds should be key. Gimmick matches are an afterthought that don't belong on the list.

I do not understand why everyone is so down on the x-division. I think the X-division is better off now than it was when Bischoff took over. Before that the X-division had degenerated into spotfests without a plot while rotating champions in a way that did nothing for the belt. The division has now evolved. They are adding a technical wrestling element into the equation as well. We had a champion who gets to cut promos and the way the belt was used has created meaning for it again. Why do some people think everytime a wrestler loses it is a job? Kendrick did some jobbing before he signed his contract but how was this most recent match a job? Right now they have a mix of no limits with joe lurking, the technical side with williams and plenty others that can do flippies. Everyone that is on tv at least has a character (well maybe someone should slap some personality into kaz). They seem to be doing the right thing while the revitalization is a work in progress. I think the last thing they should do is continually starting from scratch whenever someone has a change of heart( goes for the whole product). Let them try what they have going it has the makings of success IMO.

I'm with you on all of your point IDR.I've been preaching #'s 3 and 4 for a long time now.
Talent,time and story are the key factors of a good product.

In terms of talent The XD has a weak roster.The active roster involves Kaz, Red, Moore, Brian,and Homicide.Wrestlers like Alex,Sabin, and Lethal haven't been involved in the X division in while so i don't consider them active XD wrestlers.Guys like Aj,Jerry Lyn,Low Ki,Christopher Daniels,Chris Sabin,Matt Bentley,Petey Williams(to some extent) were actually the pioneers of the X-Division.Many of them were yet to be mention in this thread with surprises me.The key to refreshing the roster is to add some old to the new IMO.Bring in Christopher Daniels,Petey Williams& Low Ki(if they can get them back) and add them to the new talents taken from ROH or whatever other source they got them from(Benjamin to).Also if the MCMG break up put them back in the XD and put Jay Lethal back in as well.

As for time,it's pretty self explanatory.Give them more than one match a night(like 2-3) and matches on PPV.A show on Wednesday or Saturday isn't a bad idea either.

As for story,they only need to give them the Time(as stated appove)to build feuds and if one feud gets good enough like what AJ,,Chris,&Joe had(I know it would never happen but you know what i mean) give them a chance to main event.

Plus AJ is good enough were if he dose compete in XD he can bounce back to main event

First, I wanna say nice job, well thought out thread, IDR. Agree with mostly everything, but I do agree with Coco that the main emphasis needs to be on character, storyline, and feuds. The X-division has completely fallen apart however. Not only is there a lack of ability to draw heat or interest in terms of angles, the in-ring quality of the division has completely eroded and of course, high quality wrestling is supposed to be what the X-division was about in the first place. So when Shattered Dreams writes...

I do not understand why everyone is so down on the x-division. I think the X-division is better off now than it was when Bischoff took over. Before that the X-division had degenerated into spotfests without a plot while rotating champions in a way that did nothing for the belt.

I have to say...really? You don't understand? Well, I do agree with the part of your statement about the belt losing value with the many rotating champions, but that came down to a lack of angles/storylines being woven in to help add "value" or "heat" to the matches. And Spotfests aren't necessarily bad, they're usually entertaining matches and having a part of your show highlighting extreme spots isn't overkill (as long as the whole product isn't like that).

The division has now evolved. They are adding a technical wrestling element into the equation as well.

You're really drinking the kool-aid eh? If Doug Williams and Eric Bischoff tell you that there's "technical" wrestling in the X-division now you just buy it? And you're really telling me there wasn't technical wrestling in the division before? Styles, Sabin, Daniels, Joe, Lynn, these guys can wrestle circles around the guys representing the roster now.

I think the last thing they should do is continually starting from scratch whenever someone has a change of heart( goes for the whole product)

Basically, what you're saying here is that it takes time to make changes and they need to stick with their guns. I agree somewhat with this point. Things take time to settle and you have to have patience. Also, it's never really too late, you can always re-package and re-invent things in wrestling. So it's certainly not hopeless, but its been a few months now and the division has completely been destroyed. So, it all goes back to IDR's no. 1 point.....Admit You Have a Problem!

I have to say...really? You don't understand? Well, I do agree with the part of your statement about the belt losing value with the many rotating champions, but that came down to a lack of angles/storylines being woven in to help add "value" or "heat" to the matches. And Spotfests aren't necessarily bad, they're usually entertaining matches and having a part of your show highlighting extreme spots isn't overkill (as long as the whole product isn't like that).

I agree spotfests have their place an I enjoy them to an extent but the point is these guys can both hit spots and wrestle. What got the X division into trouble was when they started just doing spots for the cheap, quick thrill and nothing else. You cannot have a credible champion when that is all of the matches.

You're really drinking the kool-aid eh? If Doug Williams and Eric Bischoff tell you that there's "technical" wrestling in the X-division now you just buy it? And you're really telling me there wasn't technical wrestling in the division before? Styles, Sabin, Daniels, Joe, Lynn, these guys can wrestle circles around the guys representing the roster now.

Drinking the kool-aid? No, I am watching the matches. You cannot be suggesting Williams is not wrestling a technical style? Did you see the time limit draw between Kaz and Moore. That is the direction I think they want to take the division, back to a blend of the two at an upbeat pace. I am not telling you there was not technical wrestling in the division in the past I am saying there was not when Bischoff and friends took over.

Basically, what you're saying here is that it takes time to make changes and they need to stick with their guns. I agree somewhat with this point. Things take time to settle and you have to have patience. Also, it's never really too late, you can always re-package and re-invent things in wrestling. So it's certainly not hopeless, but its been a few months now and the division has completely been destroyed. So, it all goes back to IDR's no. 1 point.....Admit You Have a Problem!

How has it completely been destroyed in a few months? What was better before that has become drastically worse? Every woe is the x-division post names great wrestlers that were in the X-division a few years ago and uses this as evidence it has collapsed. Why do none of you acknowledge the lack of names from the time inbetween as the major culprit? Some act like it is good for business to give the x-division more time than the upper card. That makes no sense. They have to figure out how to get the most out of the division they can in the amount of time that is appropriate to allocate for the lower card.

Some act like it is good for business to give the x-division more time than the upper card. That makes no sense.

Did I ever say that or ever come close to implying that??? In fact, I said....

having a part of your show highlighting extreme spots

Giving the X-division 1 segment on your show or ppv is plenty, but I'm not opposed to having them main-event an Impact if the feud is hot and it warrants the attention. Also, a separate 1-hr show would be a cool idea, but they're so far from legitimately reaching that goal its not worth thinking about really.
You cannot be suggesting Williams is not wrestling a technical style? Did you see the time limit draw between Kaz and Moore.

If that's what you got from my post then that's your deal. I never said Williams wasn't a technical wrestler, but one wrestler certainly doesn't make a division. And I did see that match, I haven't missed an Impact...ever. You mean that boring 10 minute time-limit match that they never really let get going and then never let the storyline/implications of that match go anywhere? Oh, yeah.....sadly did see that.

I am not telling you there was not technical wrestling in the division in the past I am saying there was not when Bischoff and friends took over. How has it completely been destroyed in a few months? What was better before that has become drastically worse?

I'll admit that certainly the division had fallen from grace before Bischoff took over, but its gotten worse since then. At least you had some wrestlers who could put on good matches and weren't boring or stale. Amazing Red, Homocide, Daniels, Suicide (not much, but WAY better than Kaz), the Guns, and Lethal Consequences....i'll take them over Kendrick, Williams, and Shannon Moore any day. And it's not that Kendrick, Williams, and Moore aren't capable of putting on good matches. The main thing is at least the previous guys were allowed to and had the freedom to be creative and put on decent matches to provide some measure of entertainment for the fans.

Look, the proof is in the ratings and with the people. Clearly most fans in this forum don't agree that the X-division is on the right path. We all have our opinions and if we ran TNA we'd all do things slightly different, so keep that in mind. I lean towards a good in-ring product, so it upsets me when I can no longer count on the x-division to at least provide a decent match when watching TNA programing...bummer.....

K_VonFong said:
If that's what you got from my post then that's your deal. I never said Williams wasn't a technical wrestler, but one wrestler certainly doesn't make a division. And I did see that match, I haven't missed an Impact...ever. You mean that boring 10 minute time-limit match that they never really let get going and then never let the storyline/implications of that match go anywhere? Oh, yeah.....sadly did see that.

That match never got going? I guess my eyes deceived me. Sometimes things like that are subjective so you are entitled to your opinion. Although you are flat out wrong about the second part. The implication and storyline followed through as they were both going to compete for the title.

K_VonFong said:
I'll admit that certainly the division had fallen from grace before Bischoff took over, but its gotten worse since then. At least you had some wrestlers who could put on good matches and weren't boring or stale. Amazing Red, Homocide, Daniels, Suicide (not much, but WAY better than Kaz), the Guns, and Lethal Consequences....i'll take them over Kendrick, Williams, and Shannon Moore any day. And it's not that Kendrick, Williams, and Moore aren't capable of putting on good matches. The main thing is at least the previous guys were allowed to and had the freedom to be creative and put on decent matches to provide some measure of entertainment for the fans.

Daniels was not in the x-division before they came in and he was after they did so not sure how his name makes the list. The suicide gimmick had run its course. Kaz had been talking about leaving the company so I guess that is one reason they totally killed it. Amazing Red is fun to watch but was terrible as champ because of his zero mic skills and low in-ring psychology. The guns are still wrestling and bringing the X-division style. Homicide just wrestled two x division matches at the last PPV, including one for the title. They brought in Generation Me and let them have some decent x-style craziness. But if they have one segment like you are suggesting then it cannot be the spot work it needs to be about the title. Consequences creed was overrated. Lethal is about to get a push of some kind it appears. The problem before was they had too many of the same wrestler; High flyer, low personality, undersized. Now they are introducing some greater variety.

K_VonFong said:
Look, the proof is in the ratings and with the people. Clearly most fans in this forum don't agree that the X-division is on the right path. We all have our opinions and if we ran TNA we'd all do things slightly different, so keep that in mind. I lean towards a good in-ring product, so it upsets me when I can no longer count on the x-division to at least provide a decent match when watching TNA programing...bummer.....

I would almost agree here. If I was booking TNA I would put more focus on the in-ring product as well. Problem is TNA cannot book their product for an audience of one or to suit the IWC. Hopefully, they realize in the ring is where they stand out sooner than later. However, I think the overall quality of x-division matches have improved where some other areas are the ones faltering. Like you said everyone has their opinions which is what makes booking complicated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back