I hear voices......lets talk about theme music

tLight

The Lionheart
and whos gets you pumped.

I'm currently listening to Voices (WWE the Music volume 9)
Ortons music is a key part of his gimmick, its believable, and it makes you feel as if hes the worst of the worst, I love it. It gets me pumped.

Cena's theme although its been the same song for the past 3 or 4 years, every time I hear those horns I get excited.

The same can be said for Sexy Boy. It seriously gives me chills. The only other version that gets me as excited is when Kurt Angle sang it during the Angle/HBK feud. "Im just a sexy Kurt, Ill make your ankle hurt."

I hate Triple H but love Motorhead (so much Ive seen them in concert and own 10/30 of their cds, and most if not all of their DVD's) I really hope the WWE uses them in the future to do someones else theme song.

Honerable Mention goes to Jack Swaggers "on your knees" which is clearly a Rage Agaisnt the Machine rip off.
Priceless, Im kinda sad this theme song stopped getting used due to them become Legacy, and not having a complete song right now, but I bet in the future Ted Jr will go back to using it.

Today, I only really mark out for Jericho’s, Angle’s, and the Main Event Mafia’s entrance themes. Other past tracks I mark out for, which can only be on video games or DVDs, are Austin, Rock, Hogan and now Flair is added to that list. I also like the Horsemen, N.W.O., DX (almost every version of the Order and Generation) and Evolution. If I think of anyone else, I’ll add them later. Oh Batista has the Ultimate Warrior / Goldberg feel to it. Wait a tick, is it a combination of the two?? Hmmmm.

oh and I forgot to mention Maryse's music "Pourquoi?" its perfect for her. Pourquoi means "why" and i think the question is why is she so hot, but so terrible at the same time. haha

Jericho's music will always be special to me.

I also forgot about MVP's when it had the "tick tock" part on Smackdown. "IM COMING" to bad its not on Voices :(

Yeah I love Randy Orton's current music but I also miss "Burn in my Light," that was great theme music. Jericho's will always be classic, and I still love Edge's music. I'm glad the Hart Dynasty is using a variation of Bret Hart's old theme because I always marked big time when I heard that.

Jericho's theme is great. Triple H's entrance theme still gets me jacked up. I can't get tired of it. Past themes that get me would be...the rock's hollywood theme. it reminds me of his lil turn and I enjoyed every second of it. And the Evolution theme. Seeing the four of them roll out to that and the cocky attitude with flair hhh it was just perfect for them.

"One of a Kind" was the perfect entrance for Rob Van Dam. High energy and the perfect descriptor for Van Dam's in ring style.

Randy Orton's, CM Punk's, All Triple H's songs from DX to My Time, and the Motorhead songs. Also Christian's Close your eyes songs, with Story of the Year singing it. Im upset cause a week before he redebut on ECW, they released the WWE soundtrack, so now it will take forever before the entire song is released

I love the Three 6 song for Mark Henry. It fits his look so well.

I like Orton's old theme better than Voices, but I like them both. Kane's Finger Eleven Theme is one of my all-time favorites. The voice was just haunting enough to work for Kane's character.

Jericho's is a timeless classic.....Austins stuff was great too, even the one done by Disturbed....when you watch some old vids or check out some youtubes, during the invasion angle, it really was much better than it was received back in the day.....Edge's stuff is great, but ill give you one that I absolutely love, that I dont think most people will mention at all.....and that is James Storms' sorry about your damn luck....song is great....listen to it sometime if you can find it anywhere, since he isnt using it right now...AJ's is good too, as well as Abyss....matter of fact TNA does a good job with the music.

couple of ones from the past that were great...Savage...Honky Tonk...and HBK is also a timeless classic...what is like 16-17 yrs old correct?

jerichos
austins one when there was rapping over it was pretty fucking quality
hhh my time is better than his current one imo, as is his king of kings one
edges i love always turn it up when i know edge is coming same with jericho
jack swaggers im loving at the moment
ortons is quality
john morrison! also do like melinas similar with the big horn thing at beginning
evolutions was immense
marked out big time for kennedys too lately but those days are gone now :(

Great topic...

I coached a high school soccer team and we needed some pre-game songs on a CD so I burned several WWE themes between Piratres of the Carribean score (we were the Pirates). I had DX, Orton (Burn in my light) Chris Benoit (Not the Our Lady Peace version), Gangrel, Kane and Triple H on it.

I "mark out" for Gangrel's. They really didn't use him to his full potential outside of pushing Edge, Christian and the Hardys.

Currently, I blast three themes...Batista, MVP and Orton.

I don't like Bastista but LOVE his theme.
MVP's I use currently to get myself pumped for interviews that I go on. "I'm Comin'!"
Orton's is just perfect for him. I love the lighting in the arena for it too.

My two daughters loved Mr. Kennedy's and yelled KENNEDY! after he says MIIIISSSTTTEERRRRRR...

Honerable Mention goes to Jack Swaggers "on your knees" which is clearly a Rage Agaisnt the Machine rip off.

Just to clarify that is not a rip off, it is Rage Against The Machine performing that song.

I think everyone's theme fits them well and they all get me pumped up, so to not sound repetitive I will just say who I don't like.

People who need new theme songs are:

MVP - he needs one BADLY. He is a face now and his theme puts the crowd and me to sleep. Silkk The Shocker is the artist on his theme and he is absolute shit. He needs a new theme badly because the crowd has to get hype for him. He needs someone like Ludacris or T.I. to do his theme...or maybe Fabolous.

Evan Bourne - That shit is just dry. They added the airplane noise to the beginning but after that there's nothing there for me. Its just a 4 bar loop with a break in the middle.

Matt Hardy - Really? He still has that theme even after his 2nd heel turn? He needs something darker...I mean the guy tried to kill his brother.

Finlay - When is he going to stop using Hornswaggle's music?

The Miz - The riff in the beginning is hot, but to help in his character development they should add lyrics on it and revamp the music a little. They've done this with Edge, Hardy, Kane, HHH, Austin, and Batista in the past. Remember their themes before they had lyrics? The lyrics took the themes to another level. It does wonders as far as getting the crowd pumped.

What do you guys think of my suggestions and opinions on those wrestlers themes?

I mark for Cena's like none other. When I hear that music, it's "Oh yeah, someone's about to kick some ass." Triple H and Taker get me excited as well, but the sheer 5 hours that their entrances take really kills anything the theme music could have done for me.

Hardy's theme gets me just as pumped. But not like Cena's does. More like just a generic mark from me.

Edge's has always worked for me, I'll never know why though.

I wouldn't play any of these in my car, but these got me going and i knew the pain was coming:
Goldberg. The french horns and drums were gladiator-like & got you psyched.
Legion of Doom. "Oooooooohhhh, what a rush"
Kurt Angle (TNA). A good rip off of Red Rider's 'Lunatic Fringe' but it worked.
KroniK. Rip off of Static X but it set the right mood.
RVD (ECW). Pantera. Walk. 'nuff said.
Undertaker. I used to play that during halloween when kids would trick-or-treat.
Psycho Sid. Worked on Halloween too.
Bret Hart. The frist man to make the color pink tough had a great theme.
HHH. I'm tired of 'the game', but 'king of kings' and 'evolution' were great.

over the years there have been so many theme songs that def get people pumped...i always like Macho Man's theme. If you youtube him at Wrestlemania X and listen to the crowd as soon as his music hits u'll understand why i like his theme. It's a graduation march song but i think he is the only guy that can use that theme to get people souped. I also liked Austin's theme by Disturbed, again youtube him "Austin returns to save the WWF" and its just so badass. Once again youtube Scott Steiner's debut in 2002 in the WWE at MSG. The theme with the lighting is electric.

Thats just to name a few but there are so many more. But check out the ones i listed and i'm sure everyone will enjoy

Peace out cub scout

....if u want to watch Macho Man's entrance at Wrestlemania X, youtube Macho Man vs Crush

HHH's theme is well, a wicked song but obviously the whole water spittin concept and whatnot's just gettin old!!

Taker - Well, the music's kinda getting a lil bit old these days, but I remember at WM XX, when he came back from that long time off mannnn when i heard the gong/music it just 100% gave me goosebumps and chills!!! crazyy

Really wish Finlay would go back to the old theme

Jericho's is amazing, HBK never gets old, always pumps the crowd up, goldberg's theme was amazing for him

what happened to my post?
I posted in this thread????

what i said was....
I like some of the themes that are just awesome songs too....

Orton -Voices from Rev Theory
HHH -The Game from Motorhead
Edge -Metalingus from Alter Bridge
ECW Theme -Don't Question my Heart
Mark Henry -Time for a fight from Three 6 mafia....

in TNA Angles song is the best....good build up with him coming up from the ramp too...

Randy Orton's current theme gets practically everyone buzzing, when I watched RAW & SD in London in April EVERY time the theme was on everyone round me was singing along to it & literally getting excited about something as simple as a theme song... if that isn't effective I dunno what is

I always have & will continue to love Benoit's theme (both the Rabid/Shooter & Our Lady Peace), as they both were intense, intimidating & brilliant, just like the man when he was in the ring.

Edge's theme for one main reason, it's done by Alter Bridge, my favourite band. In fact it got me into them. If it is ever replaced a bit of WWE would die inside me

Taker's Badass Theme from 2003 is a favourite of mine too, it just summed up the gimmick, a biker guy who could whip your ass & you knew you wouldn't be going back for more.

RVD's One Of A Kind IS one of a kind, as only he could use it to make it seem so right in every sense, of both the song title & his ability.

HBK's was done in the 80's (or 90's not sure), apart from Hogan's "Real American" & a few others, how many have lasted as long to still kept the appeal & excitement a theme song brings? Not many, I can't be bothered to name them at this moment in time.

Vince's one was made for one reason... to boo the shit out of him. Whenever I hear it, it just makes me wanna remind myself that it's 1997-late 2003 so I can boo him all over again.

Last of all but not least is CM Punk's theme. Although I do like it (With it making me go mental whenever I see him) I feel it doesn't fit him too well as a face, like Benoit, Punk needs an intensive & intimidating theme song because it would fit his in-ring style & when his heel turn comes it would work well.

Being as I'm very sensitive to sound and highly adept at music, music DEFINITELY affects me heavily, especially with regard to a wrestler.

Without watching any of Triple H's best past matches, and only seeing him deliver his typical promos of the sleazy, sarcastic jerkass who people occasionally love, and hearing the stories of his backstage politicking and burying people, he'd be an obnoxious, hateable jerkass.

Watching his entrance to "The Game" or "King of Kings" adds an aura of tremendous power and genuine monstrousness to him. A genuine sense of power and awe.

Same dealy with Batista, and his old music.

The Undertaker. Any of his songs that weren't Kid Rock or Limp Biscuit or any of the biker/trucker ones. It genuinely makes him seem surreal, supernatural.

Going recent, though... "Voices"

Holy hell. I think the song is good, but I consider it a tremendous letdown due to the fact that the song is VERY clear and VERY articulate... "I hear voices in my head, they council me, they understand, they talk to me."

Randy Orton does not hear voices in his head.

That completely ruins it for me. It's like Stone Cold Steve Austin coming out to a song that screams "I'M A RAPIST! I RAPE GOATS! I'M A RAPIST! I RAPE GOATS!" It's completely misleading. Not to mention it would certainly be more fun, gimmick-wise, for him to genuinely be schizophrenic and hear voices, and actually act like he's taking orders from them, rather than him being his old boring, jerkass self with his Intermittent Explosive Diarrhea.

The Main Event Mafia's music is the absolute worst in the wrestling business today that I've heard. If I had to describe it's sound, it would be "Diddly". That's how the diddly-doo parts sound. The rest of it is too nondescript to be judged. It's weak, cartoony, horrible on the ears, and just all-around bad.

Kennedy Kennedy's 90s-Japanese-video-game-surfer music was fun, but it's ruined by his own dumb voice screaming his own name throughout it. Like "Timmy and the Lords of the Underworld" but without the humor to it.

MVT's music is fine, but that stupid clock sound needs to go. It makes him seem boring, and it sets the pace for the song, with a rather lazy-sounding intro that just doesn't work.

The Motor City Machine Guns' music suffers from what Balls Mahoney's music at ECW One Night Stand 2005 suffered from, in that Balls' theme sounded like it was being performed live backstage, by one guy on a guitar, with the Overdrive function off, on a $20 12-inch amp, playing on only two strings. That's what the Motor City Machine Guns' music sounds like to me---one weak-ass guitar noodling on the upper strings.

Personally I think it's time that Cena get's a new theme. It's been the same for four years. Same with Triple h, I love the game, but it's old. He should just go with King of Kings. I really live Voices, it fits Orton really well. My favorite of all time is Austin's with Disturbed. It was friggin' awesome. Rvd's theme was awesome.

Currently Batista is my favorite, but I'm really digging Swaggers.

Randy Orton's "Voices" - Very good song,I remember reading that Orton wanted to change his theme for a while and then they finally did,which he says makes it more enjoyable to come to the ring.Fits him greatly,he is a psychopathic lunatic that is snaps when the time is right.

Jack Swagger's "On Your Knee's" - Being that Rage Against the Machine is my favorite band of all time definitely makes his theme my favorite of all time behind Kurt Angle's.Make's him seem so much more dominate when he comes out to it by saying "on your knees" multiple times.

Kurt Angle's "Medal" - Displayed his Patriotism and made the fans join in by saying "you suck".Just classic.

Jericho's is probably my favourite going around at the moment. I love how he kept it, if he ever changes it I'll be so pissed off. His is THE one that can NEVER change.

Loved RVD's and Kurt Angles (just for the you suck chants lol)

CM Punk's fucking awesome Killswitch Engage are sick!!

Don't mind Edge's and Christian's.

Also I love EndeverafteR's No More Words for Jeff Hardy, sick song.

Ummm, also like Santino's for his character lol

Theme songs are great for the wrestlers and have to suit the character they are trying to portray so it's essential to get it right.

Just to clarify that is not a rip off, it is Rage Against The Machine performing that song

The song is actually performed by a Rage tribute act called Age Against The Machine. WWE have used Rage as inspiration a few times but have never worked with the band in producing music at all. I doubt Rage would ever want anything to do with a company like WWE but thats just my take on it.

Right now I am really loving a lot of TNA's minimalist entrance stuff. Jarret has a great theme, as does AJ. The Beautiful People's music fits them so well it's almost perfect. I am not a huge fan of using pop music as entrance themes, though there are some exceptions, most notably when Taker was using Kid Rock's American Bad Ass song, but only after they jumped straight to the chorus at the start. That was one awesome entrance.

All time favourite has to be the 96/97 Taker funeral durge. There is a version with really emotional sounding strings during the verses (if you could call them that) that just takes my breath away whenever I hear it or watch a match of his from that era.

You know, this is going to be something of a cop out for me, as I'm also using theme music from the past. To me, and this is just me, the music that wrestler's come out to has become entirely generic. Not that it isn't good music, but at this point, I really fail to see wrestling themes that actually tap into the character of the wrestler. I understand, that wrestler's themes have different chords and harmonies to them, and I would never try to argue that wrestling music has simply become guitar solos while someone walks down to the ring. But as I see it, Jim Johnston has become a bit lazy with his composing of lyrics and harmony. Wrestling music, to me, has always been about getting into the state of the wrestler's mind, and getting you into their head before they went down to the ring I'm not saying that I need an entire description of the wrestler as he/she walks down the aisle, but perhaps a probe into his inner psyche, that makes us understand what the wrestler is about. At the moment, there are four themes that, I feel, do this exceptionally, and one of these isn't even composed by Johnston. Two more of these, also, were composed in Johnston's heyday, so I feel as if I can't really credit his work on them now. Though he's made tweaks and alterations to some of the themes, I stand to argue that Johnston is running low on his creativity, and that there's only one theme he's created in the last three years that leave me satisfied:

Sexy Boy (HBK): I still, admittedly, mark out to this one every time I hear it. It has such a swagger to it, and in his heyday, portrayed Michaels so well. He was the cocky son of a gun, who could back up his words, and then steal your girlfriend after the match. He was what women wanted, and what men wanted to be. And the music itself was what set the tone of his character. To this day, I'm not sure if I liked it better when Shawn sings it, or when Sherri sings it. While Shawn may have had the better voice (Sorry, Sherri), the fact that a woman was practically fawning over him throughout his music just personified his character so much. It was almost more fitting for a woman to sing out his praises, rather than Shawn to sing them out himself. However, I guess it also does fit into his cocky character, that he's singing his own praises.

Graveyard Symphony (The Undertaker): Now this one only gets half credit for me, as the song has been around for three hundred years. Still, it personifies the character so well, and left you with a chill down your spine as you watched this man enter the ring. The use of organ and choir was an excellent, if not predictable, choice, and it only added to the eerie nature for Taker. Over the years, Johnston has tweaked the song with minor alterations, and has added tiny things that nice touches. But again, the reason it fit the character so well was... Well, it because it didn't have much of a choice. The song's about death. The Undertaker's occupation involves burying the dead. It was meant to match as it did. Still, I give Johnston credit for the small details that, otherwise, would be a simply boring theme song.

This Fire Burns (CM Punk): This one isn't even composed by Johnston, so I really can't give him the credit here, but it works extremely weel for Punk's character. While I'm never usually a fan of the "screamo" genre, I must admit that the lyrics work extremely well for me. Hell, just take a look at this excerpt I'll provide:

Nevermore to be held down
By the waves against me
Nevermore to be cast aside
This day is mine

It tells the story of a man who has been looked down upon by society, because he's a little different, and they can not accept him as is. Still, he fights the tide of society, and will no longer stand against such oppression merely for his outer appearence. This song is perfect for Punk, and while Johnston didn't create it, it still resonates within me.

Which leaves us with,

Voices (Randy Orton): You remember that "personifying character" thing I was talking about earlier? This one is the best to do so in the WWE right now. The story of a man who is desperate to live out a legacy. He's so desperate, that it turns him to insanity, and the voices that tell him of the cruel injustices of the world. It tells of a man who witnesses the apocalypse rising, and he is summoning the troops, eager to take his place in power amongst the damned Earth. Randy himself has become a victim of betrayal, and is scorned by those that have crossed him. This is his solemn promise to those that have done him wrong that his vengeance will be great, and that his wrath will be felt.

And either than that... I feel that most of the themes you see today are:

No longer fitting the character (Matt Hardy, Chris Jericho)
Not even created by Johnston (Edge, Rey Mysterio)
Or just flat out bland for my liking (The Miz, MVP.... And yes, John Cena. I was a fan of Cena's old music. This song he comes out to me just doesn't do it for me.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back