• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

I Don't Believe That: Roman Reigns

I think the biggest issue is that The Shield, as a whole, have been pushed to the forefront, way too soon. And the fact that, as a group, they stomp whoever they target half-to-death, that part of the gimmick is stale because it's been done too many times, all too recently.

Ambrose, Rollins, and Reigns have enough potential to get to the main event on their own. The fact that creative felt the need to have them do what they do, at the level that they are, has the potential to shorten their careers. On the other hand, look at Ryback, and there are some similarities. Roman Reigns could get to a main event level, but pushing him there too soon will inevitably result in being phased out altogether. Ryback competed for the WWE Championship, after not being in the WWE as Ryback for very long. Previously he was "Skip Sheffield." Now he's in Rybaxel, and one of two things will happen: he will fade into obscurity, or rebound upwards in the card.

Essentially, Roman Reigns will hit a wall, and when that happens, his trajectory will depend on which direction that the creative team is looking and his ability to adapt to that direction.

As for Make-A-Wish, it's ridiculous that it has been brought up at all, let alone for a wrestler who is trying to make a name for himself, and then comparing him to the likes of John Cena. Very clever, indeed.

You know I love this topic because it shows the silliness of most PPL on here. It just makes Me laugh how y'all just state opinions with absolutely NO FACTS to support your points.

Okay Roman appears disinterested to you....

Do you know him personally? Have you ever seen him in a real live situation outside of the ring? If not then you do not have anything to base your assessment of his emotional state on. How do U know that he is not just a laid back person until game time? Maybe he just has a distant personality period or maybe the E has told him to just be the silent brooding type. Did y'all forget in one of his first interviews he did not talk except to say " I speak when it's important." So maybe that is his role. It's just funny that nothing you stated has anything concrete to support it. You are just making blanket statements.

Next his limited skill set. I always love this. It really makes Me chuckle. It's like sometimes you guys just have to take an opposing view just to do it. Yes I am sure that their are a bunch of little guys who can do 450 splashes and other tricks that Roman can't but honestly who cares? I like his moves. They fit his role of an athletic bruiser. You know if it was up to the IWC a lot of guys who have had HOF careers would have NEVER even have one a title. I like Romans outside the ring drop kick, his spear and his Superman punch that looks just AMAZING.... It looks like he could really drop anyone with one punch. So why should he be more than a power wrestler. The Ultimate Warrior had like 5 moves top... How did his career work out? That's funny...

He looks like he doesn't care about the other wrestlers? Gotcha and you have a report or an article or quote in which another wrestler said that correct or is this just another unsubstantiated comment? Yeah I thought so.

Terrible mic skills? This one is always the funniest to Me....

How come mic skills are important only in cases when it's a person you don't like?

DB has average mic skills at BEST but that doesn't seem to matter because hey we like him. Please give me one CLASSIC promo from DB. I know y'all will find one time on the Indy wrestling stream a mania card in which he did so and so.. Lol... I'm just saying you cannot destroy one wrestler for NOT having these skills and yet praise another despite the fact he has the same flaw. That's silly...

Personally I think RR will be one of the all time greats barring injury but hey that's my opinion...

The only difference is I can support mine....

Feel the FREEZE!!!!!

Back in the early 90's, there was a band that was just starting to get noticed, and this one guy I knew back then who liked to consider himself the complete authority on good music kept raving about how awesome they were. That band was Pearl Jam

A few months later, they broke out and were one of the most popular bands in the country. When that happened, the same guy couldn't stand them anymore and found all sorts of reasons to complain about their music.

A while down the road, the two of us were in my car, and I happened to have a Pearl Jam tape playing. I immediately popped it out of the tape deck because I didn't want to hear him go on about them anymore, when he asked me to put it back in... then proceeded to rock out to them while talking about why is it that people are afraid to just admit what they like. I didn't bother pointing out what a hypocrite he was, just because it was so interesting to see this guy who was a hipster before there was such a thing admit what a poseur he actually was.

The OP's threads on first Bray Wyatt and now Roman Reigns remind me of that guy and that moment. People once appreciated by only a few 'discerning' individuals who are now appreciated by the masses... so those 'discerning' individuals have to just break them down so they can show everyone else that they're better than them... because they don't follow the masses in what and who they like.

I've never got the impression of Roman Reigns that the OP gets. When you read his interviews to the press, and listen to him talk about the business, I don't understand how anyone can get the impression that he's a phoney who doesn't appreciate the spot he's in, or could care less about the business.

The OP mentioned that he's a failed football player, and even sites that he tried the CFL too before giving up on football... then for some reason talks about how the Rock was born and bred into the business. Well the Rock also failed in the CFL, and only turned to wrestling once his football dream was crushed. Like Reigns, the Rock also came from a wrestling family (same damn family). Reigns hasn't shown yet if he's got the Rock's personality... but then again, how many people on this planet can say that they've got as engaging a personality as the Rock?

His work in the ring? Considering how much experience he has inside a ring, I'd actually say it's pretty good. Is there room for improvement? Of course. There's always room for improvement with anyone though.

The guys pretty good, and he's only going to get better. Sorry to break it to you... but he's here for the long haul. Better get used to it.

Reigns is well known in backstage as a guy who tries to get himself better day after day and the guy is proving that on the shows.

He looks fake? Disinterested? Boy, each wrestler has his own routines and Reigns isn't a smiling kid-friendly babyface anyway. He spent more than a year being a pure heel until March or so, by the way.

You keep trying to defend yourself on here but the truth is you dont know what the creative decided his character should look like an he is suppose to be the "big" guy of the shield and early in there careers the "big" guys are usually a little reckless in the ring an dont look so smooth, give him a chance there is a reason hes getting a push an its because the writers see something in him that you dont

Pérez84;4862513 said:
Reigns is well known in backstage as a guy who tries to get himself better day after day and the guy is proving that on the shows.

He looks fake? Disinterested? Boy, each wrestler has his own routines and Reigns isn't a smiling kid-friendly babyface anyway. He spent more than a year being a pure heel until March or so, by the way.

Once again, because I don't think I got a legitimate answer out of this...

When John Cena tells jokes and is happy, he's doing something bad?

But Roman Reigns is just playing his character?

I don't see exactly what the issue is. Not every pro wrestler has to go out there and portray himself as this off the wall, over the top, flamboyant wild man that smokes angel dust. Reigns is the muscle of The Shield, and the muscle of a faction usually isn't Chatty Cathy. Reigns, to me, comes off as this cool, collected guy who "turns it on" when he's in a fight. I know that a lot of people often compare newer guys to the ones they grew up with saying things like "Is this guy gonna be the next Rock?", "Is he the new HBK?" or "Will he be the next SCSA?" A lot of the time, it seems they've already got their minds set to view these guys in a negative light because they're not doing or saying things the way their favorites were back in the Attitude Era.

I don't know that Reigns will deserve a huge push or not when he's a single guy. It's possible that he might soar and it's possible he might crash & burn. Once he's on his own, he'll have only himself to rely on and that's when he'll ultimately show whether or not he's got the stuff. Therefore, I'm not at all opposed to him eventually getting a shot in order to prove what he can do. Hell, making the most out of a given opportunity is how stars are made in any realm of entertainment whether it be sports, acting, etc.

Once again, because I don't think I got a legitimate answer out of this...

When John Cena tells jokes and is happy, he's doing something bad?

But Roman Reigns is just playing his character?

I suppose it's a matter of characters and taste.

Sure John Cena is the guy that tells corny jokes and he tells those jokes in a way that belittle his opponents and makes it come across that he doesn't take any of them seriously. That's fine. He's not the first guy who's never taken his opponents seriously and he won't be the last. Same for belittling his opponents or just being someone who enjoys cheeseball humour. That's just his character.

It just rubs some people the wrong way. Myself... I don't find the guy that funny and more often then not, when he starts trying to be funny, I switch the channel. I suspect that a lot of the Cena hate comes from the fact that I'm not alone in thinking that. He's cheesy. Some people like that. Lots of people don't.

I will admit though, this past Monday when he started in with the jokes on the Wyatt's, I thought it was both brilliant how Bray Wyatt responded to it... and also how Cena responded to Wyatt actually calling out on his cheeseball jokes. What started out as one of the more cringe worthy Cena improv routines of all time (whomever was in charge of that Photoshop work needs to be fired) ended up being an awesome promo between the two that made me want to see what they would do next.

As for Reigns... yes he's just playing his character too... and also try to keep in mind that this is a new babyface character for him after spending the past year as an intense, dangerous, brooding heel. Him playing his character like that is also what's gotten him noticed, got the fans behind him, and is getting him elevated... so I wouldn't expect him to make any sudden changes to his character. Small tweaks as he evolves with it, but that's about it.

Of the three Shield members, I like Ambrose the most. Rollins could be a great babyface. Reigns is actually my least favorite. He's the most over though. He has a ton of presence. That's what's getting him over. He'll be a good superhero babyface and also a great monster heel.

You can question his motives all you want. I've always said the Rock doesn't love wrestling. Who gives a fuck if he was born and raised in it. I come from a long line of farmers but have 0 desire to farm. Rock did wrestling after football didn't work out then left as soon as he found a more lucrative career.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back