• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Hulk Hogan, Brother

Good work, Sly. I am very satisfied with your explanations.
Thank you.

And, how do you feel about Hogan's psychology now? Does it begin to make a little more sense why I would call it so great?

I do understand what the term "mark" means. For the sake of convenience, Wikipedia defines it as: "A fan who idolizes a particular wrestler, promotion, or style of wrestling to a point some might consider excessive."
This is untrue. That's not what a mark means at all, but rather an industry term that has been twisted around to mean something it's not.

A mark is an old carny word for a person who is gullible. Wrestlers would find the marks, and try and sell them that wrestling was realistic. Thus, their fans would be marks. Wrestlers would "work" those marks (which is where the term workrate comes from, another term that's been twisted), and make those gullible people believe what they were seeing in the ring was real, and that these huge men wrestling each other really did not like each other and were actually hurting one another.

That's what a mark is.

Yes, I understand that is also a definition of the term "mark." However, the other is still a used term in the industry, and thus, needs to be considered when referring to being a "mark" or "marking out." I was obviously referring to the latter.

Yes, I do understand where you are coming from with Hogan's "in-ring psychology." I guess I just don't like the term "in-ring psychology." To me, that would refer to Hogan "psyching out" his opponents. However, since it is scripted, I would rather use the term, "selling to the crowd."

Whatever the term is, I would agree with you to an extent. There was a point where this was fresh and going over very well with the fans. However, as Hogan's gimmick grew older, I think the "Hulking up" and no-selling on opponents finishers bored fans to a certain degree. It became an expected thing, and they knew that the opponent's moves were not going to phase the Hulkster. I know that you can cite his match with Warrior, Taker, and others, but for the vast majority of the time, Hulking up and no-selling was the name of Hogan's victories. Again, I am not saying that this is good or bad, but it's something that I have observed.

And just because Hogan could work a crowd doesn't mean that I think he was good for the business most of the time. I saw Russo's shoot on Hogan at Bash at the Beach 2000 for the first time last night, and I couldn't help but agree with pretty much everything VR was saying. Sure, he put over Goldberg, and I think he helped push DDP along in the summer of 98....but in the years to follow, I remember thinking to myself, "Hogan is fighting for World Titles, and I don't even think he is in the top 5 in WCW." This was particularly the case when he was carrying around the belt in the summer of 99.

wheredo i start first of all the guy cannot wrestle he made his way to the top and put wrestling on the map due to him posing and being arole model for the kids. 90% of thetime he was carried by his oppenent or if he was the main draw to an event e.g. wrestlemania3 he had the show stolen by the majority and btw for those of u who did not know he bodyslammed andre in AWA!!! but the main thing that gets to me every hogan match he will very rarely bow down to another superstar. orton, micheals are amongst others who should are much better wrestlers than hogan ill ever be and yet he is too stuben to let his glory days go and give some guys a break his induction to the hof was deserved for his contributions to making the business what it is today NOT pure wrestling ability oh one more thing what he did to yoko and bret at wrestlemain 9 sucked oh before i go imho why did wwe ever reemploy him he tried to get the boss sent down after all vinny mac did for him thats the way he thanks him...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back