• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How would you rate La Familia

GOOZEKING

Getting Noticed By Management
La familia was Union made of edge the leader, Vickie the evil authority figure, Hawkins and Ryder the goons, chavo and his body guard more goons. They would run Smackdown and keep edge in the main event between late 2007-mid 2009. Their main enemies included batista, undertaker, and Rey mysterio and personally created great tv. At the time with the feuds of la familia vs enemies I personally thought made smackdown more enjoyable than raw. So I ask you guys what letter grade you would rate la familia during their run and why?

I think La Familia was very underrated. I have one major reason, and I think it's the only one needed - La Familia is the ONLY faction in the history of professional wrestling to have TWO recognized World Champions at the same time. That's something no other faction can claim. I remember a promo Triple H cut once, about how Evolution have Triple H as World Heavyweight Champion and Batista as WWE Champion (when Triple H was trying to get Batista to challenge JBL at WrestleMania 21), was akin to the Four Horsemen having Ric Flair as NWA Champion and Tully Blanchard as AWA Champion, or DX having Shawn Michaels as WWE Champion and Triple H as WCW Champion. La Familia is the only one that did it, with Edge as World Heavyweight Champion and Chavo Guerrero as ECW Champion.

I hate to say this but...I have to agree with aquaman, La Familia was very underrated. The "Union" all together was sort of a odd pairing but it worked. And I really enjoyed every feud they were involved in. What I liked most about LA Familia was that Vickie was at the peak of her career(constantly getting the most heat out of anyone in wwe) and WWE allowed her to take bumbs from the men. One week she got tombstoned by Taker weeks later she got 619, and even speared by Edge as well and the fans ate it up.
For me I would give them a "B". For the short time they were together (as aquaman said) they accomplished something no other stable has and that's having 2 World championships in 1 group. When you think of a group including Hawkins, Ryder, and Chavo....you don't see much success happening but these guys were able to beat the best of the best at that time. (And actually made Chavo look like a threat/champion which in of itself deserves recognition.)
I personally would take La Familia over any of the forms The Authority has taken up in the last 2 1/2 years.

I absolutely despised it. I hated Vickie's character, I thought Chavo was pointless & felt that the whole thing was an insult to Eddie's memory which in turn made me lose a lot of respect for Edge. Looking back however it was just an angle used to further Edge's character driven behind the scenes by Vickie, and it served a purpose.

The ECW championship was not, by this point, really a world championship though, it was strictly a mid-card belt. Had been since Bobby Lashley got drafted onto Raw. Sorry to say, but it's pretty much true (indeed, it arguably suffered as a result of the Benoit tragedy, as he was due to wrestle John Morrison for it the night he died; had Benoit at any point been the ECW champion, assuming the murder-suicide never happened, then the title could have perhaps remained on par with the other two, a world title)

John Morrison, CM Punk, Chavo Guerrero - until this point none had come remotely close to ascending from the mid card, yet all held the ECW title post-Benoit; further proof: I believe Chavo actually entered the 2008 Royal Rumble match to win a title shot at Wrestlemania despite being the reigning ECW champion.

Other than that, Edge and Vickie worked well together, and it made sense for Chavo to be involved; I liked the way they introduced the Major Brothers, too, as Edge-a-likes. But I hated Bam Neeley, who must have had the worst name in wrestling history.

6/10 for the faction, for me

The ECW championship was not, by this point, really a world championship though, it was strictly a mid-card belt. Had been since Bobby Lashley got drafted onto Raw. Sorry to say, but it's pretty much true (indeed, it arguably suffered as a result of the Benoit tragedy, as he was due to wrestle John Morrison for it the night he died; had Benoit at any point been the ECW champion, assuming the murder-suicide never happened, then the title could have perhaps remained on par with the other two, a world title)

The ECW Championship was a recognized World Championship. That's not an opinion, it's a fact. It was a World Championship right up to when it was retired in 2010.

I think La Familia was very underrated. I have one major reason, and I think it's the only one needed - La Familia is the ONLY faction in the history of professional wrestling to have TWO recognized World Champions at the same time. That's something no other faction can claim. I remember a promo Triple H cut once, about how Evolution have Triple H as World Heavyweight Champion and Batista as WWE Champion (when Triple H was trying to get Batista to challenge JBL at WrestleMania 21), was akin to the Four Horsemen having Ric Flair as NWA Champion and Tully Blanchard as AWA Champion, or DX having Shawn Michaels as WWE Champion and Triple H as WCW Champion. La Familia is the only one that did it, with Edge as World Heavyweight Champion and Chavo Guerrero as ECW Champion.

Seriously, the ECW title in 2008? That title had less value than the IC and US titles at the time. The Four Horsemen and Evolution were far more impressive while holding world and US/IC titles (not to mention tag titles) simultaneously. In fact DX holding both the world and European title in 1998 was probably more impressive. That ECW title wasn't doing much for Chavo.

I wasn't very impressed with La Familia. Edge and Vicki were great but their group wasn't anything special. Blanchard, Anderson, and Windham all protected Flair but were also great on their own and served a purpose besides Flair's henchmen. Flair, Orton, and Batista all protected Triple H but were alos great on their own and served a purpose besides HHH's henchmen. Guerrero, Ryder, Hawkins, and Bam Neeley (one of the most forgettable guys ever proven by his name being omitted by a fan of La Familia in the opening post) were nothing but lackies that were not taken seriously. They were an annoyance to Edge's rivals rather than a threat. Edge did a good job as the top villain on Smackdown for a while but the group of La Familia was pretty mediocre.

Seriously, the ECW title in 2008? That title had less value than the IC and US titles at the time. The Four Horsemen and Evolution were far more impressive while holding world and US/IC titles (not to mention tag titles) simultaneously. In fact DX holding both the world and European title in 1998 was probably more impressive. That ECW title wasn't doing much for Chavo.

Again, it doesn't matter where you or any other fan or even Vince perceived the ECW Championship's value to be. That's completely irrelevant. It was a recognized WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP, and that's a FACT. Therefore La Familia was and is the only faction in the history of wrestling to have two members simultaneously holding World Championships.

Again, it doesn't matter where you or any other fan or even Vince perceived the ECW Championship's value to be. That's completely irrelevant. It was a recognized WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP, and that's a FACT. Therefore La Familia was and is the only faction in the history of wrestling to have two members simultaneously holding World Championships.

So what? Does that make them the greatest faction of all time? Does that make them better than the Horsemen or Evolution? I am well aware the OP simply asks for opinions on La Familia and does not compare them to other great factions. I know you didn't say La Familia was the greatest faction of all time. You sure do seem to be implying it though based on Chavo Guerrero holding a low card title belt that happened to have the word world in its title. La Familia was Edge and some flunkies. Again, they were more of an annoyance than a threat despite Chavo being world champion on a roster of about ten guys, half washed up and half unknowns.

Erm, of course it matters what Vince perceives of the title! He is the CEO of the company that owns and promoted the ECW title. If the company doesn't recognise it as a world title (see what I wrote earlier about the ECW champion entering the Royal Rumble), then how on earth can anyone else?

La Familia was a very strange stable. I didn't dislike them, but the concept often left me scratching my head. I was always a fan of Edge so him having a group of underlings made the group work for me. I wouldn't say they were a very successful group or a failure either. I'm neutral on them yet I laugh when looking back on memories of this odd stable. Edge was a star before this group formed and remained a top level star for a few years after it disbanded. This wasn't exactly his best time, while not his worst either. Edge would have been fine with just Hawkins and Ryder. Speaking of The Edgeheads.... Let's talk about the other members.

Inclusion in this group may have been the best time of Hawkins' career as other than being an Edgehead or Major Brother and part of this group, my only other memory of him is from the failed Gatecrashers team he had with Vance Archer. So the group did benefit Hawkins. It helped Bam Neely too. He was one of the most forgettable WWE wrestlers ever. Have no clue who he has? My point exactly. Vickie didn't really need this group any more than Edge did. She was hated by the overwhelming majority of fans, just for saying "EXCUSE ME" in her annoying tone. All she had to do was open her mouth to speak and she'd get boo'ed.

Then we have Chavo. This group gave him a little more exposure as ECW Champion, but his inclusion did not give the group a second World Champion as a member. Those who posted this are incorrect. The ECW Championship at one point was a World Championship. Was it a World Championship when the real ECW was around? Absolutely. After WWE re-launched the brand it gets a little complicated. RVD, Big Show, and Lashley were World Champions while holding this belt. However, I'd say around 2007 was when it stopped being a title that within kayfabe was on par with the WWE Championship and the World Heavyweight Championship. The ECW brand shifted focus to being more of a developmental show. Around the time Morrison won it, it felt like more of a midcard title. By Chavo's reign it definitely wasn't a World Championship anymore. Chavo entered the Royal Rumble as ECW Champion, there's the proof right there. What was he going to do, challenge himself!?

At the end of the day this group was an odd yet interesting way to get Edge more underlings as well as getting Chavo more exposure as ECW Champion. I wouldn't say they were a failure, but they were hardly on the level of groups like Evolution. I look back on the group and it gives me something to laugh about. The randomness of a group consisting of Edge, two Edge clones, two Guerreros, and a 6th guy that no one remembers.

If nothing else, being in La Familia put Zack Ryder in the main event of Wrestlemania 24. Something fanboys a couple years ago would have been clamoring for.

All kidding aside, this was an absolute shit stable. It accomplished nothing other than giving Undertaker some annoying problems for a few months. It was the most random grouping ever and everyone there were just there to serve Edge. Nobody ever amounted to anything and I always found Chavo an annoying whiny pest (talking about offscreen).

To even be in the same sentences like Evolution and the Four Horsemen is out of the realm of disbelief.

Then we have Chavo. This group gave him a little more exposure as ECW Champion, but his inclusion did not give the group a second World Champion as a member. Those who posted this are incorrect. The ECW Championship at one point was a World Championship. Was it a World Championship when the real ECW was around? Absolutely. After WWE re-launched the brand it gets a little complicated. RVD, Big Show, and Lashley were World Champions while holding this belt. However, I'd say around 2007 was when it stopped being a title that within kayfabe was on par with the WWE Championship and the World Heavyweight Championship. The ECW brand shifted focus to being more of a developmental show. Around the time Morrison won it, it felt like more of a midcard title. By Chavo's reign it definitely wasn't a World Championship anymore. Chavo entered the Royal Rumble as ECW Champion, there's the proof right there. What was he going to do, challenge himself!?

You're absolutely, 100% incorrect. The ECW Championship was a recognized World Championship from June 2006 to February 2010 when it was retired. That's not a matter of opinion, it's a FACT. PWI recognized it as a World Championship. It's "kayfabe" standing in WWE is totally irrelevant. The ORIGINAL ECW Championship wasn't even recognized as a legitimate World Championship for most of it's existence, because it wasn't defended overseas often enough to meet the criteria. If I remember correctly, it was only recognized as a World Championship for two years and was then downgraded to a regional heavyweight championship. Chavo Guerrero was a World Champion. Again, not opinion. FACT.

As for Chavo competing in the Royal Rumble, that was even explained by the commentators. He had already been announced as a competitor in the Royal Rumble match prior to winning the ECW Championship.

You're absolutely, 100% incorrect. The ECW Championship was a recognized World Championship from June 2006 to February 2010 when it was retired.

You're the one who is wrong here. Then again, you think Nikki Bella is a deserving Divas Champion. Since you clearly don't know what makes a diva a deserving Divas Champion, I wouldn't expect you to know what makes a title belt a World Championship either.

I don't deny that at one point it was a World Championship. The point is, during most of its time in WWE's version of ECW it was NOT a World Championship. In the real ECW and at first in WWE's version it was. Undertaker had the option to challenge Bobby Lashley for the ECW Championship at Wrestlemania 23 using his Royal Rumble win. Not even a few months later, Punk was feuding with Morrison in a developmental show. Everyone after Morrison held a glorified midcard title.

That's not a matter of opinion, it's a FACT. PWI recognized it as a World Championship. It's "kayfabe" standing in WWE is totally irrelevant.

:lmao:

Really? That's your argument? PWI matters yet WWE, the company who OWNS the belt, does not!?

You do realize that PWI doesn't recognize the TNA World Heavyweight Championship as a World Championship.... right? Last time I checked, being the top wrestler of a federation held a whole lot more prestige than being the top wrestler of a show that's half jobbers and half developmental. It's WWE's belt. If they stopped treating it as a World Championship (which they did long before Chavo won it) then it was no longer a World Championship.

The ORIGINAL ECW Championship wasn't even recognized as a legitimate World Championship for most of it's existence, because it wasn't defended overseas often enough to meet the criteria. If I remember correctly, it was only recognized as a World Championship for two years and was then downgraded to a regional heavyweight championship. Chavo Guerrero was a World Champion. Again, not opinion. FACT.

If you want to go by what a magazine says, go for it. I'd rather go by what the company who actually owns the product says. If a food magazine stated that Pizza Hut's Hand Tossed Pizza was a Stuffed Crust Pizza, that doesn't mean it actually IS what the magazine said. It's still a Hand Tossed Pizza because Pizza Hut said it is. That's how ridiculous your PWI argument is. Chavo was NOT a World Champion during La Familia and unless WWE officially state that he was, that's the end of the argument. You're wrong.

As for Chavo competing in the Royal Rumble, that was even explained by the commentators. He had already been announced as a competitor in the Royal Rumble match prior to winning the ECW Championship.

So if Seth Rollins got announced today as an entrant in the 2016 Royal Rumble then by that logic he would still enter it if he was still World Heavyweight Champion by then. He's not going to defend the belt against himself. That's stupid. Chavo didn't enter that Royal Rumble to defend against himself at Wrestlemania. If he got entered before winning the belt, he'd relinquish the spot as already HAVING a World Championship would matter more than the Wrestlemania opportunity. Nice try.

Anyway, the point is.... Chavo did NOT bring a 2nd World Championship to La Familia.... thus, the group only had one World Champion in it. The one member that did matter within the group's booking, which was Edge. More successful groups like Evolution were booked to where EVERYONE mattered. What La Familia did have was a World Champion in Edge, a midcard champion (Chavo), a GM in Vickie, a guy who did nothing (Bam) and a set of Tag Team Champions in the Edgeheads. They did have multiple titles in their control so they had that going for them at least. The only way this group would have had two World Champions in it would have been for them to add Raw's World Champion during the group's existence. Had that happened we might be having a completely different discussion.

For the record, I believe the ECW Title officially lost its World title status in 2008. The original ECW World Title was recognised as a world title from 96 to 01 & the E's version from 06 to 08.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back