• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How good is Bray Wyatt in the ring?

HBK89Bill

Pre-Show Stalwart
The man has the best promos in the company right now. His work on the mic has made him. I'm questioning how good he is in the ring.

He's had the Inferno with Kane which was okay, but had a good gimmick. He's wrestled a lot of squash matches. Had the match of the night at the Rumble with Bryan, The awesome match with The Shield and the loss to Cena. Based on what we have seen from him so far, how would you rate Bray Wyatt's work inside the ring.

I'm going with an 8 out of ten. The guy finds little details inside the ring that no one else does right now. A perfect example is biting himself out of the Yes Lock at the Rumble. Sister Abigail on the barricade was a great spot. What do you think?

I thought it was f'n brilliant at Wrestlemania when Cena went for the 5 knuckle shuffle and after he bounced off the ropes, Wyatt was waiting for him in his upside down stance. It looked like Cena was genuinely freaked out

1 out of 10. Wyatt has mediocre ring ability, a finisher that's been done better by half a dozen other guys, timing that can be very sloppy, and his character doesn't come across as creepy, he's just goofy. I don't know what people see in this guy. He's one of the worst "talents" I've seen debut in my twenty-plus years of watching wrestling. Mordecai was more impressive than him, and Mordecai was absolute crap.

QUOTE=Aquaman6686;4869199]1 out of 10. Wyatt has mediocre ring ability, a finisher that's been done better by half a dozen other guys, timing that can be very sloppy, and his character doesn't come across as creepy, he's just goofy. I don't know what people see in this guy. He's one of the worst "talents" I've seen debut in my twenty-plus years of watching wrestling. Mordecai was more impressive than him, and Mordecai was absolute crap.[/QUOTE]

Damn. You must really hate him to rate his in-ring work a 1/10. I don't even think Bret would go that down loool. Your opinion is your right though, so cheers.

I believe Bray has the in ring knowledge and psychology that makes his matches interesting. Its isn't very predictable and therefore is entertaining. The way he tags in to scavenge the beaten down enemy, the stares and taunts, etc ... Leads me to conclude that he is doing justice to his gimmick.

He isn't a technician, nor a submission grappler, nor a powerhouse, NPR a high-flyer. Yet, his style is pretty unique in the ring. He has strength to do power moves and is agile for somebody who appears to be a slow mover. His matches have been really good too.

I give the in-ring work of Bray Wyatt a 7.5/10

I find Bray Wyatt refreshing... as a whole. The guy has something that wrestling has been missing for a while... Character !!!

Bray finds ways to make a match interesting, whether it is the Possessed crab walk at WrestleMania or the Strong Force he used towards Bryan. The guy has great mannerisms as well, which add depth to his style in the ring.

I think Bray is on his way to the top, and his Wrestling Ring Abilities are a great reason for that statement.

Not so good. His match with Daniel Bryan is the best solo match he ever had thus far. That match was about a 8 or 9 for me. If we compare that match with all his other singles matches, come on, it's pretty obvious he's really not that good in the ring. He is a 6 or 7 at best, he has had a lot of help from his teammates Rowan and Harper most of the time.

Bray Wyatt is one of those guys that incorporates his character into his ring-work and that alone makes him a very good performer. You cannot tell the difference between Bray Wyatt the promo guy and Bray Wyatt the wrestler because what he says and does stems directly from the character he portrays... and that's exactly what characters in WWE should be doing.

A lot of people don't take this point into consideration and think that pure wrestling ability is what makes somebody excellent in the ring. It's definitely a factor but why should someone worry about executing every move in the book perfectly if they have no character to draw the crowds attention? You can tell from the crowds that Bray's work both in and out of the ring have impressed them, cheering and chanting alongside Wyatt solely because he captivates them with his character and not his ring work. The majority of the WWE Universe won't care if Bray hits a Tiger Driver correctly once... the crowd there will pop, yes, but it won't define him unless he includes it into his character.

I have noticed Bray to be sloppy at times but overall, he is a damn good performer and he's proven that in a short time span, he has entertained many of the WWE Universe, including myself and I'm hard-pressed to like somebody.

Bray is good in the ring. People expect backflips and moves
Everyone else has. Hoping bray main events mania 32 as
Champ defending against reigns. Nice fresh character bray is
For wwe

Seriously? 1 outta 10? So easy to spot the super cena fans!
Face it, bray is the next big thing, cena is just an obstacle to overcome before bigger things for the Wyatt's!
Bray is a breathe of fresh air, not seen someone like this for a while. The last time I took to a character so much was when Kane debuted!

Follow the buzzards

Everyone is entitled to their opinion of course but I struggle to see how anybody can watch this guy talk and not be captivated. Not goofy at all and if he was the gimmick would have died already. I think Bray has been a massive breath of fresh air. In terms of in ring ability, as someone else pointed out he doesn't have massive stand out power or speed or agility but the guy can wrestle - especially for someone his build. Also he has a great grasp of ring psychology which to me is every bit as important as being able to pull of fancy flips or whatever in the ring

Thus far he has impressed me. He hasn't wrestled that much but he has mostly done well. He embraces his gimmick which is fantastic to see. Mankind did this really well too.

His matches with Cena, Bryan and The Shield were of a high quality. The problem is he won't always be wrestling superstars of these quality and then his matches may drop in quality.

Overall, I'd say he is good in the ring. He has a good, entertaining style. His gimmick helps make him unique and that should take him far.

He's solid in the ring. His big matches against DB, Cena and the Sheild have been very, very good. However, we know DB can put on incredible matches time and time again. Cena can pull out some incredible matches given the correct opponent

I think the Sheild match rested a lot on the entire 6 men, and can't really attribute directly to Bray for this match. The 3 on 3 worked in that match because all 6 guys stepped up in that one.

The main roster is a step up from Nxt obviously, but he has shown the skills to stick with some big guys. My question would be, can he carry a match with a lesser performer. If you stick him in with Batista or Axel, could he take the lead and carry the match himself? At the moment, I'm not so sure

For a man damn near 300 LBS, he's impressive in the ring IMO. His match with John Cena at WrestleMania was impressive, I was there live and the entire night I was probably the most engaged in his match. His strength is obviously his talking ability which he does better than pretty much anyone right now on the WWE roster, the reason his feud has worked so well with John Cena is because Cena is also a great talker. They seem to have good chemistry both in the mic and in the ring.

Bray is pretty good in the ring honestly. You don't need to be a technical master or innovating high flier in order to put on a great match. This is a wrestling business but it is also an entertainment business as well and Wyatt is damn entertaining in the ring. Maybe if the crowd was silent or chanting boring during all of Bray's matches than there would be a problem but it is the exact opposite imo... They seem to be glued to the guy.

His match with Daniel Bryan was a 4 and a half star match I believe. Not many guys can say they've wrestled close to a 5 star match in the their first full year on the roster with a newer gimmick.

Let's not forget that he has been with WWE for about 5 years now... He's no rookie.

Bray Wyatt is one of those guys that incorporates his character into his ring-work and that alone makes him a very good performer. You cannot tell the difference between Bray Wyatt the promo guy and Bray Wyatt the wrestler because what he says and does stems directly from the character he portrays... and that's exactly what characters in WWE should be doing.

A lot of people don't take this point into consideration and think that pure wrestling ability is what makes somebody excellent in the ring. It's definitely a factor but why should someone worry about executing every move in the book perfectly if they have no character to draw the crowds attention? You can tell from the crowds that Bray's work both in and out of the ring have impressed them, cheering and chanting alongside Wyatt solely because he captivates them with his character and not his ring work. The majority of the WWE Universe won't care if Bray hits a Tiger Driver correctly once... the crowd there will pop, yes, but it won't define him unless he includes it into his character.

I have noticed Bray to be sloppy at times but overall, he is a damn good performer and he's proven that in a short time span, he has entertained many of the WWE Universe, including myself and I'm hard-pressed to like somebody.

Well this thread is about his in ring work, and not his promos which was quite clear.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Pro Tip: It helps to actually read the post before you hit "quote" and fire off a useless one sentence reply. That post you're responding to, which I've quoted to help you read it again and hopefully comprehend it this time, is obviously about his in ring work and not his promos, so I don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Bray is a very good example of what the term "WWE style" means. To be a good in ring performer for the WWE, you don't have to know a thousand moves or be able to flawlessly execute chain wrestling...you have to be able to tell a story. You have to be able to get the crowd emotionally invested in your matches. Bray Wyatt does that. It's funny, because he's actually a lot like Cena, even though most of the people who love Bray are probably the Cena haters(like that clown who said "it's easy to spot the Cena fan" earlier in this thread, whatever that means...his name was mark, probably). They both know how to entertain the crowd beyond just doing as many moves as possible, which, contrary to popular belief, is rather boring in and of itself to many people. Their matches actually tell a story from beginning to end.

Wyatt is a decent athlete for someone his size. He is still a bit sloppy as people have said, but he's certainly better than he was in his Husky Harris days(I caught one of his matches on the WWE Network the other day, and it's almost hard to believe it's the same person...both from his appearance and his ring work.), when he was a threat to injure somebody every time he was in the ring. It shows that he's willing to work at it, which is obviously a good sign for his future, especially combined with the way he has so thoroughly dedicated himself to his character. That kind of work ethic alone will carry you a long way.

He has been well protected by the WWE to this point, for sure. Singles matches with guys who can work with anybody and tag team matches that will really hide his weaknesses...but he's still done his part in all of them.

Clearly, he's not the best performer on the roster. He's not Daniel Bryan. But he's light years ahead of bums like Batista. He's somewhere in the middle, with the bland guys like Cena and Orton. He's not likely to put on a 5 Star Classic we'll remember in 20 years except under the most ideal conditions(like Cena did with HBK on Raw in London years ago), but it appears he's good enough to main event and hold his own if he gets over enough.

When it comes to telling a story in the ring and using his character to do it, Wyatt's easily among the top guys in the company. Some didn't like his match with Cena at WrestleMania XXX, but I thought it was great. Both men worked hard, they carried their own weight and they both told a fun story. Cena was over acting but it's pro wrestling, not Shakespeare in the Park. Wyatt's attempts to "corrupt" Daniel Bryan and then John Cena were/are fun to watch.

When it comes to "technical knowhow" or "pure wrestling ability", Wyatt's probably pretty low on the totem pole. Then again, he's not trying to be a technical master. A wrestler's personality or character, what he/she has done to generate interest prior to a match does play a role in the actual match. I've said numerous times that a wrestler's most important job is to get the fans to care. If he/she can't, then it doesn't really matter what sort of technical expertise at catch wrestling they have or how athletic they are. He's a surprisingly fast, backwoods brawler and has an in-ring style that works well with that. Is he on the chubby side? Sure he is, but the guy's obviously in ring shape and doesn't get gassed after 10 minutes like Batista currently does. He's obviously physically strong as well, otherwise he wouldn't be able to pull off much of his offense and that guy's surprisingly limber. Hell, I've known 120 pound girls who can't do that crab walk thing he does. We've seen him in two very physical one on one matches with Daniel Bryan & John Cena, both of which went well over 20 minutes, and Wyatt was hanging in there with both of them.

Against "real opponents", namely The Shield, Daniel Bryan & John Cena, Bray Wyatt's helped put on some very entertaining matches.

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Pro Tip: It helps to actually read the post before you hit "quote" and fire off a useless one sentence reply. That post you're responding to, which I've quoted to help you read it again and hopefully comprehend it this time, is obviously about his in ring work and not his promos, so I don't know what the hell you're talking about.

Ok, so maybe I've used the word promos in the wrong sense here. I mention Promos meaning everything he does to promote himself and the wyatts outside the ring (Speeches, videos, sitting in the chair, character stuff outwith wrestling) which can be argued are all promos even though he's not standing in the ring.

You've mentioned about his character, how he portays himself, that it is not solely based on his in ring work, that people don't care if he pulls off a move 100% because as long as he incorporate it into his character.

Nobody questioned his character, or how over he is at the moment. You specifically mention people cheer and chant with him because of his character and not his in ring work.

My point is that, the OP compliments him on this out of ring work, but is questioning his in ring work. A subject you have then tied back in with his out of ring work for no apparent reason. The few comments you make about his in ring work are that he won't hit all moves perfectly, which no one ever will and that you've seen Bray be sloppy at times. That is you analysis of his IN RING WORK which is what is the topic of discussion.

I apologise for explaining all this, but I clearly over estimated you

Sorry, but Bray Wyatt is embarrassingly bad in the ring. He's just sloppy and poorbinnthe ring. That doesn't mean he isn't a great character, it means that if he gets stuck in a feud with someone that isn't as talented as Xena, he's going to be revealed to the crowd. That's why they have him with someone safe like Cena.

Seriously? 1 outta 10? So easy to spot the super cena fans!
Face it, bray is the next big thing, cena is just an obstacle to overcome before bigger things for the Wyatt's!
Bray is a breathe of fresh air, not seen someone like this for a while. The last time I took to a character so much was when Kane debuted!

Follow the buzzards

I don't like Cena at all. I don't see him as much better than Bray. Way to jump to conclusions.

Bray isn't special in any way to me. He's boring, sloppy, can't work a match, and gives repetitive, bland promos. He's actually a LOT like Cena, but Cena can work a match at least. Bray is a short-term star. You liken him to Kane, I liken him to Kizarny.

Bray Wyatt for someone his size incorporates his Deliverance character inside the ring as a whole. That alone takes a lot of talent. For someone of his size and build the dude is quite good in the ring.

Sure,he is sloppy at times,but damn he is quite good. He is what 300 pounds or so? He has cat like agility,and that whole spider walk he does. That takes amazing flexibility. Also he already has a great grasp of in ring psychology.

Sure he is no technical wizard like Daniel Bryan or CM Punk was,but he isn't trying to be.. The hate already on here about him,i honestly don't get it.. Think about the Royal Rumble match,against Daniel Bryan.. He put on a amazing match.. Then move on to WMXXX against Cena,again a great match. For someone 300 pounds plus Bray is in amazing in-ring shape,unlike batista where he would gas after 5 minutes

Personally I think he is okay at best. He moved well for a big guy but he isn't better than a lot of the talent out there. Everyone seems to be thrilled with that upside down crab walk thing he is doing now. You do realize that is the stupidest move in wrestling, right? It puts him in a position where he can't defend himself. If I was his opponent, I see 3 moves - kick to the back, kick to the head or leap and elbow to the gut. What is he going to do to stop you? It might surprise you for a second when you see that but any wrestler with a brain should see an opportunity right away.

I find that is the biggest issue I have with Wyatt - people say how creepy he is for doing silly moves that make no sense. If Santino did the same moves, people would be laughing. If there was some advantage from that move, I wouldn't have any problem with it but they rely on the opponent standing there with a dumb look on his face to sell it.

I don't like Cena at all. I don't see him as much better than Bray. Way to jump to conclusions.

Bray isn't special in any way to me. He's boring, sloppy, can't work a match, and gives repetitive, bland promos. He's actually a LOT like Cena, but Cena can work a match at least. Bray is a short-term star. You liken him to Kane, I liken him to Kizarny.

ok i know it's your opinion and i respect that but i disagree with every point you made 1st i don't see how you find bray wyatt boring his ring work is very entertaining. 2nd ok sometimes he's sloppy but i can't think of a match recently where his ring work was sloppy. 3rd WTF! what the hell are you talking about have you ever seen bray wrestle. 4th if you're talking about his style then obviously but if you're talking about his actual promos then you're wrong please provide me with 2 different promos where he says the same thing in both promos. 5th his promos are definitely not bland they're very engaging to me.

continuing from my last post 6th please give me 3 reasons how bray wyatt is like john cena. 7th i think that bray wyatt is 1 of the future stars. now i respect your opinion and i ask that you respect mine as well.

Sorry, but Bray Wyatt is embarrassingly bad in the ring. He's just sloppy and poorbinnthe ring. That doesn't mean he isn't a great character, it means that if he gets stuck in a feud with someone that isn't as talented as Xena, he's going to be revealed to the crowd. That's why they have him with someone safe like Cena.

This is pretty much how I view it also. Embarrassingly bad is a bit of a reach but he's not in the top tier level of in ring workers. Take for example his match with Kane at SummerSlam if we're being honest that's one of the worst matches in the history of the event. The match was that bad. Since then he's worked with Bryan and Cena two of the best workers on the roster. It's hard not to look good in the ring with those two especially on the roll both of them have been on. Outside of that he's worked a 6 man tag while epic he has 5 other men to cover him, the hype behind the two most dominant factions brawling out, etc to cover up and hide his weaknesses which is what Bryan did and is what Cena is doing now. Wyatt himself isn't all that great in the ring but they've put him with good workers to make him look good and shine him up so to speak.

continuing from my last post 6th please give me 3 reasons how bray wyatt is like john cena. 7th i think that bray wyatt is 1 of the future stars. now i respect your opinion and i ask that you respect mine as well.

I've seen EVERY match Wyatt has done on the main roster, and I've never seen anything even remotely impressive from him. I see nothing special about Wyatt. His ring work is absolutely awful and I find his promos to be among the worst in wrestling history. I've never in my life been so bored by a wrestler as I am with him. I find him similar to Cena in that Cena bores the hell out of me and I think his promos are bland and repetitive as well, but I find Cena to be a hundred times the wrestler Wyatt is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back