• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How do you define a Sports Fan?

Mr. HD

High Definition
I need to ask something of some knowledgeable sports fans here.

My friends and I have debates over this all the time. They say because you're a fan of a certain player of a team, you're not a fan of that team, or a sports fan in general

Ok, here's my argument. I started watching Football in 2000, but I never had a set team until 2003 and I saw Peyton Manning play. I rooted for them for a little while, and when they won the Super Bowl in 2006, I stuck with them as MY team mainly because I love Peyton Manning. A lot football fans were drawn into teams because of certain players: Guys like Primetime, Emmit Smith, Jerome Bettis, Ladainian Tomlinson, Brett Favre, etc. Why am I not a fan? Because I like the player? I'm not like my friends that choose to be Jets/Giants fans just because they live in New York.

Let's use Basketball as an example. There are a great deal of Lakers fans that are Lakers fans because of Kobe Bryant, and a great deal of Bulls fans that are fans because of Michael Jordan. Who's to say where their loyalties lie as sports fans?

Or how about the fact that because Peyton Manning is my guy, I'm still going to root for The Colts, but I'm going to root for whatever team Manning signs to just as hard because he's pretty much my favorite player.

Am I wrong here?

Explain and Discuss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back