Houston Region, SF Subregion: First Round: (14) Bruiser Brody vs. (19) Daniel Bryan

Who Wins This Match

• Bruiser Brody

• Daniel Bryan

Results are only viewable after voting.
From an overall perspective, I do like Daniel Bryan more than Brody. I find myself enjoying his matches much more and if Bryan is able to grow as an overall performer, then this question might have something of a different outcome one day.

Brody may have been an asshole and an outright prick but when you look at his career overall, it's impressive. He was a huge star everywhere he went and was a huge draw. There was nothing pretty or flashy about him, just one big nasty bastard.

While I like Bryan much more, Brody takes this. Brody would rip Bryan's arm off then fuck him up the ass with it.

Well upon some viewing of Bruiser Brody material, he seems rather, uhh, boring. You know, besides the great hair. That is a fantastic mane, no doubt. Anyway, saying he's a better worker is probably up for debate, a debate you may lose. I mean, even though he appears to be the basis from some extremely significant brawler award, I still won't be voting for him.

Calling Bryan boring is pretty off base. He clearly is one of the most entertaining wrestlers in the WWE at the moment. Anyone who says otherwise is just a silly goose. Very good in ring worker, not awful on the mic, and he's dating Gail Kim! That's the perfect trio.

Brody was the definition of "hardcore" before the likes of Mick Foley. He can take a lickin' and keep on tickin' (/sillypuns)

But in a normal wrestling match, ability is the key to winning, not trying to kill your opponent, and in this case if that were to happen, Brody would be DQ'd on the spot. Bryan is the technical master of the 21st century, as he is well-known throughout the internet wrestling community and the independent circuit. Despite what you think about Brody being a tough guy, I believe he won't be able to control himself let alone stop Bryan D. from locking you in the LaBelle Lock.

My vote: Bryan D.

In my opinion, BOTH of these guys have their boring points. Bryan is boring with personality and Brody was boring in the ring with his moveset. That's about the only thing these two have in common.

Bryan's a technician. He's a pretty boy with a tremendous in-ring arsenal, smooth moveset, and boyish good looks.

Then, there's Bruiser Brody. A man that brutalized himself, other wrestlers, and was a psychotic mess in every promotion he was a part of.

This is the boxer versus the brawler, plain and simple. But in this case, when the boxer would normally win, I see no way that Daniel Bryan could defeat Bruiser Brody. Brody is legendary for been a total psychopath and a legit competitor. If he didn't win matches, he would shoot during his matches for the win. He was a legitimate badass.

Although Bryan's past moniker of Bryan Danielson was absolutely incredible in today's indy circuit, the circuit that Brody traveled was more old school and I would imagine was more difficult to make waves than present day.

In a close match, I choose Brody.

I have to disagree with your analysis, D-Man. This is only because I've seen Daniel Bryan - well, Bryan Danielson - in matches with the likes of Nigel McGuinness where they hit each other with European uppercuts, lariats and headbutts until they were painted in blood. One such example is Danielson elbowing McGuinness in the face until he literally fell unconscious. Well, not literally. Kayfabe-ically. That was a fun match.

As for Bryan being boring, when he has some lame-ass storyline where the Bellas compete for his attention and all he gets to do is stand in the background and grin, sure. When he's telling Michael Cole he's not even man enough to escape a handshake, spitting in John Cena's face, decking the Miz or - to take at least one example from his ROH days - having himself announced as "even better than The Beatles" in Manchester, he shows how criminally underrated he is in that department.

While Daniel Bryan might be a technically-minded pretty boy that might well wince at the thought of getting punched in the face, Bryan Danielson would relish the opportunity. It's a Mankind vs. Cactus Jack sort of scenario, if you will. And even if you won't. Baddest vegan in the world.

Brody's easily one of the biggest, meanest, ugliest guys in this tourney. But every once in a while you need an upset, and the upset of this first round has to go to the American Dragon.

Slyfox and KB make good points for Brody, but after watching star matches from both men, I think DBD would have the smarts to pull this one out.

Bruiser Brody is the man who had Lex Luger shitting bricks in the middle of a match. Daniel Bryan is nowhere near as big as Luger. As great as a ring technician Daniel is, Brody couldn't give an absolute damn about that. This is the man who was killed because he was feared. Let that sink in. Killed because he was feared for his ring work. Then you put him in a match with a man as small as Daniel? It's a recipe for a massacre. Daniel could try his LeBell Lock or Cattle Mutilation all he wants, he'll be lucky if Brody gives the time of day let alone sell those moves. Brody was notorious for his attitude and taking the matches to his favor. Not a hardcore match? Who gives a damn. He'll just drop kayfabe and sucker punch you. Brody with ease.

I have to go with Dickbutt here.

As much as I'd LIKE to be impressed with anything Bruiser Brody's done, I just can't. I'm not a huge fan of brawlers, and Brody's at the bottom of that barrel for me. I looked at a number of his matches before I had the chance to vote on this one, and I just... didn't like it. There was nothing I could be impressed by.

He doesn't even LOOK intimidating.

Call me Old School, but this thread right now is a freakin' joke!! The vote tally at this point is 55-30, in favor Daniel Bryan.

I can't believe this. This completely backs up the point I made in other tournament posts regarding some of the older wrestlers that this generation has lost touch with.

In no way shape or form does Bruiser Brody lose to Bryan. It just isn't sensible. People that voted for Bryan need to hit Youtube immediately, type B-R-U-I-S-E-R B-R-O-D-Y in the little bar that says search, press Enter and truly recognize the mistake they have made.

Also, if anyone should happen to read this post before you vote and know nothing about Brody, go to youtube and really check out his work. The guy was an absolute beast and was ahead of his time to put it mildly.

Daniel Bryan is further along right now then he has ever been in his career and his accolades fail to scrape the surface on what Brody has achieved. His "gimmick" at the moment is playing a heavy petting game with Gail Kim.

Do any of you realize what Brody would have done to Gail Kim?? He would have wrecked her with a Downtown Bruno, to say the least, and finished it up with the excruciating Oliver Humperdink right in her Keester!! And those are just the things I can say on TV. ;)

If you were smart enough to know what that meant, you probably voted for Brody. If you have no clue to what that meant, you probably deserve to say you voted for Daniel Bryan.

Well, make it 31, because Bruiser has my vote.

I can't believe this. This completely backs up the point I made in other tournament posts regarding some of the older wrestlers that this generation has lost touch with.

This couldn't be more wrong. Go look at past tournaments. Go look at all the matches. Go look how well Danielson did last year. I know in full what Brody brought to wrestling, and I respect him and mourn him as one of wrestling's most needless losses. That being said, I still voted for Danielson because he's entertained me more. I voted for Danielson because I believe he's capable of winning a match with Brody. My vote is no knock on Brody. Old School is important, but if all we did was push the old guard over the new boys simply because they're Old School there really wouldn't be much excitement in this tournament. I know this sounds odd coming from the guy who's pushing hard for Vader this year (and Dusty last year), but I'm not going to vote simply for who's the older guy or who's got the most belts. I'm voting for who would/could win, and in my mind there's no slam dunk on why Danielson couldn't go over here. Call it markdom, but part of being a great wrestler is more than just comparing stats and title reigns; part of being a great wrestler is growing a fanbase, connecting with fans, and keeping them excited in you. It is for these reasons and more that I've proudly voted Danielson this round. Kindly I ask you to quit being bitter and to stop assuming that people only voted for Bryan because they are ignorant of "Old School".

DirtyJosé;2881718 said:
This couldn't be more wrong. Go look at past tournaments. Go look at all the matches. Go look how well Danielson did last year. I know in full what Brody brought to wrestling, and I respect him and mourn him as one of wrestling's most needless losses. That being said, I still voted for Danielson because he's entertained me more. I voted for Danielson because I believe he's capable of winning a match with Brody. My vote is no knock on Brody. Old School is important, but if all we did was push the old guard over the new boys simply because they're Old School there really wouldn't be much excitement in this tournament. I know this sounds odd coming from the guy who's pushing hard for Vader this year (and Dusty last year), but I'm not going to vote simply for who's the older guy or who's got the most belts. I'm voting for who would/could win, and in my mind there's no slam dunk on why Danielson couldn't go over here. Call it markdom, but part of being a great wrestler is more than just comparing stats and title reigns; part of being a great wrestler is growing a fanbase, connecting with fans, and keeping them excited in you. It is for these reasons and more that I've proudly voted Danielson this round. Kindly I ask you to quit being bitter to stop assuming that people only voted for Bryan because they are ignorant of "Old School".

As was the case of my voting for Brody, I did not vote for him simply because he came before Bryan, I voted for him because I think he is better.

The Old School reference was about the newer generation of wrestling fans failing to see what certain guys meant to the business. You must admit, to a certain degree people break down older wrestling as it only mattered if it was Hogan or Flair.

Bitterness was definitely not my emotion. Surprise is a more thorough description of my reaction. Type too loud for Jose: CHECK!

Maybe I should expect Bryan to win. But not by as much as he is ahead at this moment.

As far as my comments go on other tournament posts. I meant posts of my own, defending or stating my reasoning for being behind guys like Bob Backlund, "Superstar" Billy Graham, and Rick Martel in their respective matches. Also, noting that people are starting to forget guys like this and as time goes on, A LOT of these guys get closer to being completely irrelevant.

Which, IN MY OPINION, is why someone like Daniel Bryan, at this point in his career, would beat someone like Bruiser Brody, especially as soundly as it seems to be.

As was the case of my voting for Brody, I did not vote for him simply because he came before Bryan, I voted for him because I think he is better.

Good. I didn't think you would do otherwise. You seem to have a decent head on your shoulders.

The Old School reference was about the newer generation of wrestling fans failing to see what certain guys meant to the business. You must admit, to a certain degree people break down older wrestling as it only mattered if it was Hogan or Flair.

I suppose it's just that I see many, like you and I, who have found heroes of the past to be fans of. As long as wrestling exists, and as long as we have events like this where bright new fans can learn if they choose to, I'm not too worried about treasures of the past being lost. I know that just last year alone my eyes were opened (specifically, The Lariat pried my eyes open to Stan Hansen, who I had never heard of before). I know that there are folk who'll just vote from knee-jerk reaction for the more popular/well-known guy, but there are also many out there who are learning from this. Win or lose, guys like Rick Martel, Paul Orndorff, Pablo Morales, and plenty of others are being talked about.

And during this tournament, there will always be those who simply vote for the most well known household name. That affects older and newer stars alike. It's unfortunate at times, but I have hope that even in voting for simply who they like best, some of them will at least look up who they're voting against.

Also, compared to many of the other matches out there, Brody isn't getting totally rolled over here. The love is still there for him, and rightfully so.

DirtyJosé;2881839 said:
Pablo Morales

Hmm LOL... It seems you may have just proved my point. You seem to be trying to defend the newer fan or the fan that has watched for a less amount of time and are doing a good job, man, for sure.

But, if you are supposed to be defending younger people or newer fans compared to how long I have been watching, because you feel like you are further along then most guys that have been watching for a similar amount of time as you or whatever. All I have to say is...

Who is Pablo Morales facing in the first round?

Can you ***** please take a look at the punishment Danielson WITHSTOOD in his match with Kenta. He had a torn shoulder and he took vicious shots to that shoulder from one of the hardest kickers in Pro wrestling. Danielson would withstand any power moves and chop one of his legs down as he did with Bobby Fish and catch him in a submission. Danielson by far.

As far as my comments go on other tournament posts. I meant posts of my own, defending or stating my reasoning for being behind guys like Bob Backlund, "Superstar" Billy Graham, and Rick Martel in their respective matches. Also, noting that people are starting to forget guys like this and as time goes on, A LOT of these guys get closer to being completely irrelevant.

Which, IN MY OPINION, is why someone like Daniel Bryan, at this point in his career, would beat someone like Bruiser Brody, especially as soundly as it seems to be.

The hell? Look, I respect Old School wrasslin' as much as the next guy, and I grew up watching stuff from the 80's. I take pride in knowing that when I began watching Pro Wrestling, one of the first things I did was backtracked and watched anything and everything I could.. and I can tell you right now, without a shadow of a doubt..

Billy Graham, Bob Backlund, Ric Flair, Dusty Rhodes, Hulk Hogan, Randy Savage.. these are rightful HoF guys that deserve respect and admiration. You replace a shit "Wrestler" (*cough* Barroom Brawler *cough*) like Brody with any one of those guys, and this is a blowout in their favor over Danielson.

The way you're going on, you're acting as if the young'un's on this forum aren't giving Brody whatever mysterious "props" and "respect" you think he is owed. Exactly what did he do, to which you feel he's owed any such respect or props? Exactly who did he defeat that makes you think Danielson winning (blowout or not) is such a fluke thing, or only because young people are the deciding factor?

Oh, and one more thing.. Brody is sitting (currently) at some 32 votes. Last time I checked, guys like Earthquake are sitting at 3-4 votes whereas their opponents are flatout destroying them in the polls. So for someone like Brody, to have over 10.. much less 32+, I'd say several people have given him far more credit than he already ever would've deserved.

The hell? Look, I respect Old School wrasslin' as much as the next guy, and I grew up watching stuff from the 80's. I take pride in knowing that when I began watching Pro Wrestling, one of the first things I did was backtracked and watched anything and everything I could.. and I can tell you right now, without a shadow of a doubt..

Billy Graham, Bob Backlund, Ric Flair, Dusty Rhodes, Hulk Hogan, Randy Savage.. these are rightful HoF guys that deserve respect and admiration. You replace a shit "Wrestler" (*cough* Barroom Brawler *cough*) like Brody with any one of those guys, and this is a blowout in their favor over Danielson.

The way you're going on, you're acting as if the young'un's on this forum aren't giving Brody whatever mysterious "props" and "respect" you think he is owed. Exactly what did he do, to which you feel he's owed any such respect or props? Exactly who did he defeat that makes you think Danielson winning (blowout or not) is such a fluke thing, or only because young people are the deciding factor?

Oh, and one more thing.. Brody is sitting (currently) at some 32 votes. Last time I checked, guys like Earthquake are sitting at 3-4 votes whereas their opponents are flatout destroying them in the polls. So for someone like Brody, to have over 10.. much less 32+, I'd say several people have given him far more credit than he already ever would've deserved.

It is obvious at this point, I am not swaying anyone to vote for Brody. That is fine. I do not have to give examples of who he beat or why I voted for him. That is on you to find out. If you feel Bryan is a better wrestler, and would defeat Brody, have at it. But I do not.

I'll tell you this to make it simple for ya... Brody was more over then Bryan has ever been, therefore, he would beat Bryan hands down in my opinion. But, if this match takes place a year or 2 down the road, my opinion or vote might be different.

But, basing my vote off what they have both done in their careers at this point, I easily give Brody my vote. Once again, you don't have to. Brody was a pretty rugged guy and I just find it hard to believe he could TRULY be defeated by someone that hasn't accomplished much on the main stage yet. Not to say Bryan won't accomplish anything. I actually like him and think he has a great career ahead of him.

I am not saying you, or anyone else is WRONG for voting for Bryan. You are entitled to an opinion and that is okay. But, I just wonder how most of the people that voted for Bryan, came to that conclusion. Did they come to vote, see Daniel Bryan and a name they don't recognize and voted for Bryan based on that?

My true intentions, to be totally straight up, was to make people aware of who he is, if they weren't yet. Maybe it would have swayed a few people to vote for him, after seeing him in the ring and maybe it wouldn't have. I would at least respect Bryan winning even more, if it was because everyone was aware of both guys in the match and absolutely voted for Bryan because they thought he was better then Brody.

It's really close this one. Brody was a monster of course, and more of a draw, but Daniel Bryan just about clinches this one for me. I prefer Bryan's style of wrestling, I'm just not a huge fan of powerhouses, I prefer more technical and submission, which Bryan excels at, and he throws some high flying moves in there. I just enjoy Bryan's matches more. Bryan wins this by a small margin, with wrestling ability getting it for him.

Well it's no surprise that Daniel Bryan is winning an internet poll by nearly double the amount of votes that Bruiser Brody has. I don't think it's unreasonable to vote Bryan here, but Brody got my vote. I think Bryan can do all the fancy moves he wants, but eventually Brody would catch him and destroy him. Brody doesn't need to be cute to get the job done. He's the type of guy who would rip your own arm off and beat you with it. I just think he would be too much for Bryan to handle.

There seems to be a misconception here that Daniel Bryan is all about "fancy moves." His WWE incarnation, most infamous for his backflip, his LeBell Lock, his picture perfect dropkick, etc., you could argue that for. I mean, even though he's still a man that does his damndest to kick his opponent's head clean off on a weekly basis.

But, again, you go back to his pre-WWE days and this is a man that's deceptively strong. Think Taz, but not only suplexes. Danielson, over his indy tenure, has been in the most brutal of - to borrow a term - slobberknockers. He's gone blow for blow with men twice his weight and twice his size. He's folded men in half. He's knocked opponents over the barrier and then soared into the crowd from the top rope. He's been drenched in blood and others certainly have been drenched in blood. He's positively tortured people with uniquely brutal submissions. This man isn't a fragile, athletic Rey Mysterio type. He's a tough motherfucker - and he is not afraid of "being caught."

It's odd that, while far and away being my favourite leg of his career, the Daniel Bryan era seems to have altered his image for the worse. At least in terms of being competitive in this tournament.

There seems to be a misconception here that Daniel Bryan is all about "fancy moves." His WWE incarnation, most infamous for his backflip, his LeBell Lock, his picture perfect dropkick, etc., you could argue that for. I mean, even though he's still a man that does his damndest to kick his opponent's head clean off on a weekly basis.

But, again, you go back to his pre-WWE days and this is a man that's deceptively strong. Think Taz, but not only suplexes. Danielson, over his indy tenure, has been in the most brutal of - to borrow a term - slobberknockers. He's gone blow for blow with men twice his weight and twice his size. He's folded men in half. He's knocked opponents over the barrier and then soared into the crowd from the top rope. He's been drenched in blood and others certainly have been drenched in blood. He's positively tortured people with uniquely brutal submissions. This man isn't a fragile, athletic Rey Mysterio type. He's a tough motherfucker - and he is not afraid of "being caught."

It's odd that, while far and away being my favourite leg of his career, the Daniel Bryan era seems to have altered his image for the worse. At least in terms of being competitive in this tournament.

I think it's because of Vince's misconceptions regarding smaller wrestlers. To him, they can't be tough bastards who could kick your teeth in or snap your bones like twigs. They're high-flying, agile, and typically the underdog. In other words, they're all like Rey Mysterio. I don't see that mindset changing anytime soon, so, unless he suddenly changes character to move up to the main event years from now, that's probably how things will be for Bryan in WWE.

And people seem to be disregarding his ROH work and otherwise since it was, you know, the indies. Which automatically makes it inferior.

Too late again, but my vote would have gone to Daniel Bryan. An internet darling who dominated the minor leagues and who came onto the big stage with a lot of hype and expectations, he has lived up to all of the anticipation in my opinion. Immediately relevant and directly to the US Championship, he has shown great in ring skills, better mic skills than i had anticipated, and is gradually building more and more of a relationship with the casual fans of the audience, over and above the smarky IWC guys. Bruiser Brody simply would be unable to hang with DBD. I see a submission victory for Daniel Bryan without too much difficulty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back