Houston Region, NJ Subregion: Second Round: (4) Chris Jericho vs. (13) Jushin Liger

Who Wins This Match

• Chris Jericho

• Jushin Thunder Liger

Results are only viewable after voting.

klunderbunker

Welcome to My (And Not Sly's) House
The following contest is a second round match in the Houston Region.

This match takes place in the Meadowlands Arena, East Rutherford, New Jersey

aerial-view-meadowlands-arena-3bbb871b1fffe6fd_large.jpg

#4 Chris Jericho

chrisjericho.jpg

Vs.

#13 Jushin Thunder Liger

L9jEFoJMKrlpXbd.jpg

This contest is one fall with a 20 minute time limit. The match will take place in a 16 x 16 ring with no ramp leading to it. Any traditional managers for either competitor will be allowed at ringside.

As for voting, vote for who you think would win this match based on the criteria you choose. Some suggestions would be (not limited to): in ring ability, overall skill, their level of influence at the highest point in their career, ability to connect with the crowd, experience in major matches or simply personal preference etc.

The most votes in the voting period wins and in the case of a tie, the most written votes wins. There is one written vote per user, meaning if a poster make ten posts saying Bret should win that will count as a single vote. In the event of a second tie, both men are ELIMINATED, no questions asked. Only winners advance.

Voting is open for four days and all posts must be non-spam.​

Liger wins this in a match of the year candidate. Jericho and Liger at their best would steal the show at any event... even Wrestlemania. I'm sure there could be a good story behind the both of them to cause a great storyline to associate itself with this match.

Both are high flyers, both are agile and both can find ways to win when it looks hopeless. Jericho is much better on the mic, but in a match... I can give this to Liger without having much guilt. I mean, the dude beat Shawn Michaels. Jericho's seen as inferior to Shawn right?

I'm going to give Jericho the edge in this one, like Lariat said this is going to be a match of the year candidate either way. My reason for giving Jericho the edge in this one is mainly based on his ability to cheat his way to victory when necessary, the man will do anything to get himself further in this tournament. He is also no slouch in tournaments he made it to the finals of the Super Junior cup if i remember correctly losing to wild pegasus(a.k.a benoit). He also managed to win the tournament to become the first ever undisputed champion going over the iconic stone cold steve austin and the rock in the same night.

I think I just nutted a little bit with the thought of this match. This would be a great 5 star classic if I ever saw one. Both men are just so equal.

First, we have Jericho, who is a six time World Champion. He has held championships all over the world and in addition to the six World Championships, he's also a four-time WCW Cruiserweight Champion, a nine-time Intercontinental Champion and a four-time tag team champion. He's the ninth Triple Crown champion in WWE history and the Fourth Grand Slam champion. Oh yeah, he was the first ever Undisputed Champion as well.

He's also won many awards. He won Slammy awards in 2008 and 2009 for Superstar and Tag Team of the Year, respectively. In 2008, PWI named Jericho with having the Comeback of the Year, and he also won Feud of the Year and Most Hated Wrestler of the Year in that same year. In 2009, PWI named him the number two wrestler in the world and in 2010 he was number five. The Wrestling Observer Newsletter named him the Best Interview of the Decade (2000-2009) and was their 2008 and 2009 Wrestler of the Year. He was also a part of the 2010 class of the WON Hall of Fame. To say Jericho has accomplished everything that the wrestling business has to offer is an understatement.

But Liger is just as accomplished as Jericho. He has held the IGWP Junior Heavyweight Title 11 times and has been a five-time IGWP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Champion. Liger is also a two-time Super J Cup Champion, winning the tournament in both 1995 and 2000. He has also won the Light Heavyweight Title in both WCW and the then WWF. Liger can also boast being an Ultimate the Dream Gate Champion in Dragon Gate. Despite being in the business for over 25 years, he still performs at a high level and is the current CMLL World Middleweight Champion and the JAPW Light Heavyweight Champion.

Liger has also achieved many awards as well. He has been a great wrestler for as long as he has been wrestling and won the Wrestling Observer Newsletter Rookie of the Year in 1984. He won Best Flying Wrestler from 1989-1993 and the Best Technical Wrestler from 1989-1992, so he could beat you through the air and on the mat. Liger also won the Most Outstanding Wrestler award from 1990-1992 and he was inducted into the 1999 Wrestling Observer Newsletter Hall of Fame.

So there really could not be a more even match. So I flipped a coin and it landed on tails, which means I am voting for Jushin Liger.

Liger.

Bigger*; Stronger; Faster; Just plain better. Better on the mat, in the air, pound-for-pound and blow-for-blow.

It's simply a case of the student and the teacher. Regarding in-ring technique, what Jericho skillfully tried to emulate Liger had already pioneered and expertly mastered. Short and sweet: Liger has all the strengths necessary to win and none of the weaknesses Jericho would need him to have in order for Liger to lose.

*Liger's "Battle Liger" heavyweight persona.

I really have no preference either way, so I looked a little deeper and saw that these two faced at some NJPW event in 1997, and Liger came out the victor. That right there is enough for me. And obviously, the fact that he's Japanese is a huge advantage for him.

…Oh, and if Jericho uses the old "Super Liger" gimmick it's over even faster. Even Chris'll admit he was absolutely terrible and can't even imagine how Jushin Liger wrestlers as amazing as he does in such heavy and restrictive ring gear. Ultimately, his performance was so bad that Liger beat him clean 1-2-3 in the middle of the ring as a kind of retribution for almost single-handedly ruining Liger's entire gimmick/legacy.

Ligerbomb has convinced me to vote Liger here. Both Men are phenomenal wrestlers and this would be a GREAT Match with Liger getting the win in about 19 mins. Liger already also has a Pinfall victory over Jericho and Liger also has a Win Over Shawn Micheals.

Vote Liger.

…Oh, and if Jericho uses the old "Super Liger" gimmick it's over even faster. Even Chris'll admit he was absolutely terrible and can't even imagine how Jushin Liger wrestlers as amazing as he does in such heavy and restrictive ring gear. Ultimately, his performance was so bad that Liger beat him clean 1-2-3 in the middle of the ring as a kind of retribution for almost single-handedly ruining Liger's entire gimmick/legacy.
Why would Jericho use a horrible gimmick? Why wouldn't he use either of his WWE gimmick which were wholly successful?
Ligerbomb has convinced me to vote Liger here. Both Men are phenomenal wrestlers and this would be a GREAT Match with Liger getting the win in about 19 mins. Liger already also has a Pinfall victory over Jericho and Liger also has a Win Over Shawn Micheals.

Vote Liger.

The bolded part is wrong so I assume you mean Jericho over Michaels, a point which is entirely irrelevant here.

I'm torn but am leaning towards Jericho for being one of the best all rounders ever.

He is also no slouch in tournaments he made it to the finals of the Super Junior cup if i remember correctly losing to wild pegasus(a.k.a benoit).
So doing well in the Super J cup is an important factor to you in assessing the potential out come is it? Well, good thing Jushin Liger won the whole thing 2 times back-to-back.

And actually, Lionheart only advanced to the quarter finals. Had he made it to the finals he'd have had the honor of losing to the tournament's eventual winner… Jushin "Thunder" Liger.
He also managed to win the tournament to become the first ever undisputed champion going over the iconic stone cold steve austin and the rock in the same night.
Via massive amounts of interference from Vince McMahon (2x), Kurt Angle, a dirty ref (Nick Patrick), and Booker T; all of whom had reasons to interfere almost wholly separate from wanting to aid Jericho.

That? That won't happen here.

But hell, why not? If we're playing the interference game I'll say Liger would have his entire CTU squad surround the ring to get his back, you know, just in case.

Why would Jericho use a horrible gimmick?
if, if, IF, IF he uses…

And the gimmick wasn't/isn't horrible. Jericho was what made it horrible. As you can see, by his decades long career and laundry list of accomplishments, Liger has had no problem working this so-called "horrible gimmick" rather well.
Why wouldn't he use either of his WWE gimmick which were wholly successful?
Wholly? As Jericho himself admits, his 1st stint in WWE had a very rocky few years, almost chronically finding himself on the bubble. Bad gimmick, bad wrestling, etc. Of course he eventually got much better…

You could vote for Liger based on having the best theme tune, to be honest with you, I'm not sure there's ever been a better one in wrestling, certainly not one that sounds more like the theme music to a 90s soap opera.

Liger is that rarest of things, a Japanese wrestler who had success in North America, and Jericho is that rarest of things, a main eventer who loses more than he wins. Liger beat both Benoit and Rey Mysterio in the USA, and I don't doubt that he would add Jericho to that list. I love Jericho, and I wouldn't care if he wins this, but I don't think he'd win this one.

Also,

Seriously.

if, IF, IF he uses…

And the gimmick wasn't/isn't horrible. Jericho was what made it horrible. As you can see, by his decades long career and laundry list of accomplishments, Liger has had no problem working this so-called "horrible gimmick" rather well.

Liger's gimmick (read: outfit) works based on the fact he is used to working with it. The headgear must be a nightmare. As we judge this on their primes, and Jericho's run at the top was in the States, this is mute. Super Liger is NOT a factor here.

Wholly? As Jericho himself admits, his 1st stint in WWE had a very rocky few years, almost chronically finding himself on the bubble. Bad gimmick, bad wrestling, etc. Of course he eventually got much better…
And found himself still insanely over and popular and successful.

I still dont see a convincing argument saying why Liger is better than Jericho. I may not vote on this one.

Liger wins this in a match of the year candidate. Jericho and Liger at their best would steal the show at any event... even Wrestlemania. I'm sure there could be a good story behind the both of them to cause a great storyline to associate itself with this match.

Both are high flyers, both are agile and both can find ways to win when it looks hopeless. Jericho is much better on the mic, but in a match... I can give this to Liger without having much guilt. I mean, the dude beat Shawn Michaels. Jericho's seen as inferior to Shawn right?

Yes but than again there's been times where Jericho has been considered an equal to Shawn or even the next HBK.

Trying to be nice here…
Liger's gimmick (read: outfit) works based on the fact he is used to working with it. The headgear must be a nightmare. As we judge this on their primes, and Jericho's run at the top was in the States, this is mute. Super Liger is NOT a factor here.
  1. It was a funny aside to bring up the Super Liger thing, nothing more nothing less. I was merely pointing out that Jericho and Liger share an oddball connection which led to Liger absolutely bitching Y2J out in the ring later on.
  2. We're judging it on what ever the hell we want to judge it on actually.
  3. Gimmicks though? As "Super Liger" Jericho's prime was his one and only match –which was the drizzling shits. His Y2J prime saw him lose quite a bit (which he was rightfully to be upset about). And his 2nd run heel prime also wasn't very dominant. But again…it was a joke.
  4. For fuck's sake I could throw out Kishin Liger as a gimmick and say short of being paralyzed—which was the only way Muta was able to overcome Kishin Liger btw— Liger would steamroll Jericho and leave him a bloody heap; Or, Battle Liger which would see him manhandle and toss Chris all over the place; Or even Black Liger (ultra heel persona) who could theoretically just endlessly cheat/nut shot him over and over and get a roll up blindside pin. Thunder Liger, Fire Liger… its all the same. Y2J might give Fylin' Fuji a tough time though…
  5. Again, it was for the LULZ. This is not all about Super Liger (Crap as he may be).
And found himself still insanely over and popular and successful.
Hey, you said his gimmick was wholly successful. I was merely making the factual case that it wasn't. Even Chris himself has written the very same.
I still dont see a convincing argument saying why Liger is better than Jericho. I may not vote on this one.
Again: stronger, faster, more technically proficient, powerful, experienced, etc. But honestly I don't care if you don't see that. The fact remains, Jericho is the exact type of guy (size/style/skill) that Liger has made an entire career of flat-out dominating. And this is coming from a honest to God Jericho mark who will somehow warpedly defend his atrocious unified title run.

It would be a great match thats for sure, but I am giving the edge to Y2J. One of the most rounded wrestlers in the business, as well as having the definite edge on charisma.

Jericho is one of my picks to go far in this one, and after kicking out of a Liger Bomb, he connects with the Codebreaker and then locks in the Liontamer for a tap out victory to advance.

I really wanted to vote Jericho through, but i just cant against Liger. Jericho might have quite a few accolades of his own, but Liger trumps him- big time.

Chris has been on top of his game& the longer he is in the business he gets better. Jericho is probably one of the best heels we have ever seen. Definately one of the most entertaining guys in recent history.

But this is Liger folks. Whether it be Kishin, or what have you- any Liger will get the job done. He beat Jericho before, chances are, he can still beat him now....

Liger moves on.

It would be a great match thats for sure, but I am giving the edge to Y2J. One of the most rounded wrestlers in the business, as well as having the definite edge on charisma.
I'll make a deal with you. Let me put you in a simple wrist-lock. If you can charisma your way out of it, you win…
You know who's one of those guys who's even more "rounded"? Jushin Liger.
Jericho is one of my picks to go far in this one, and after kicking out of a Liger Bomb, he connects with the Codebreaker and then locks in the Liontamer for a tap out victory to advance.
Oh good, the make believe game; here's my version: Bell rings, Jericho goes for the tie-up. Liger blocks the attempt, softens Y2J up with a few rounds in a surfboard stretch, absolutely bitches him out with a shotei palm-thrust and caps it of with a running Ligerbomb for the 1–2–3.

I love Jericho, but this is a damn shame. Chris Jericho, like it or not, is a career upper midcarder. Always around the main event, maybe getting a couple weak runs with the title, but was quickly ushered away from it once he lost. The Intercontinental Title scene and non-title main event feuds that never quite overshadowed the world title picture are the two places on the card where Jericho made a career.

That guy is competing with this:

* All-Star Promotions
* World Heavy Middleweight Championship (2 times)[37]

* Consejo Mundial de Lucha Libre
* CMLL World Middleweight Championship (1 time, current)[20]
* CMLL Universal Championship (2010)[22]

* Dragon Gate
* Open the Dream Gate Championship (1 time)[3]

* Jersey All Pro Wrestling
* JAPW Light Heavyweight Championship (1 time, current)[32][38]

* Michinoku Pro Wrestling / North Eastern Wrestling
* British Commonwealth Junior Heavyweight Championship (2 times)[3]
* Super J Cup (2000)[39]

* New Japan Pro Wrestling
* IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship (11 times)[3]
* IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Championship (5 times)
* J-Crown (1 time)[40]
* NWA World Junior Heavyweight Championship (1 time)[3]
* NWA World Welterweight Championship (1 time)[3]
* UWA World Junior Light Heavyweight Championship (1 time)[3]
* WWA World Junior Light Heavyweight Championship (1 time)[3]
* WWF Light Heavyweight Championship (1 time)[3]1
* Top/Best of the Super Juniors (1992, 1994, 2001)[39][41]
* G1 Junior Tag League (2001) – with El Samurai[39]
* Naeba Cup Tag Tournament (2001) – with Yuji Nagata[39]
* Young Lion Cup (1986)[42]

* Osaka Pro Wrestling
* OPW Tag Team Championship (1 time) – with Takehiro Murahama[3]

* Pro Wrestling Noah
* GHC Junior Heavyweight Championship (1 time)[2]

* World Championship Wrestling
* WCW World Light Heavyweight Championship (1 time)[3]

* Wrestle Association R
* WAR International Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Championship (1 time)
* Super J Cup (1995)[45]

If you look, I made sure I bolded a couple of titles, as right now, at age 46, Liger is a champion in two promotions outside of Japan. He is extremely innovative, as he invented the shooting star press and brought the rolling koppu kick to professional wrestling. He adapts to whatever his opponent throws at him, as evidenced by his Kishin Liger transformation. And, when you get down to it, this man who is one of the greatest in Japanese wrestling history is just plain better than Chris Jericho. That's why there is absolutely no viable justification for Jericho winning this match-up.

I am so torn on this. You can't argue against anything in Liger's arsenal, you just can't. I think better arguments could be made for Jericho though. There's a real dilemma with Jericho too. You have to ask what part of his career should be considered his prime?

I know that Liger has beaten a great laundry list of stars at different points in their careers, but Jericho beat two of the biggest stars in history in the same night. So, in his prime I'd say he wins. As good as Liger is, as many accomplishments as he has to his name, Jericho's are bigger meaning he has accomplished more, and therein must be better. I think Jericho is getting underrated in his abilities and against a different opponent everyone would be saying "Jericho is too good of a wrestler for this guy" but it IS Jushin Liger we are talking about so I understand how it is being overlooked in some ways. With Jericho it might not always look as good as with Liger, but he gets the job done. Jericho is one of the few people who looks amazing even in defeat. He is afterall: The best in the world at what he does. I don't doubt that a bit, and I don't think anyone else really should either.

This match isn't taking place in Japan, Mexico, or anywhere else Liger is so huge. Jericho wins with a Codebreaker followed by The Walls of Jericho after a 5 star match.

You have to ask what part of his career should be considered his prime?
Good question. I know Liger's was a prime that saw him routinely beating men just like Jericho. So… you know, there is that.
I know that Liger has beaten a great laundry list of stars at different points in their careers, but Jericho beat two of the biggest stars in history in the same night.
Again, via massive amounts of interference from Vince McMahon (2x), Kurt Angle, a dirty ref (Nick Patrick), and Booker T. Is that really going to happen here?
So, in his prime I'd say he wins. As good as Liger is, as many accomplishments as he has to his name, Jericho's are bigger meaning he has accomplished more, and therein must be better.
Are you being sarcastic here?
I think Jericho is getting underrated in his abilities and against a different opponent everyone would be saying "Jericho is too good of a wrestler for this guy" but it IS Jushin Liger we are talking about so I understand how it is being overlooked in some ways.
It's not being overlooked at all. It's just being placed in proper perspective and context. W/o even knowing it Jericho actually walked a path eerily similar to the one Liger forged years earlier. Liger trained in Mexico, Canada, and Europe; he mastered Japanese strong-style Prowrestling, and incorporated martial arts strikes unlike anyone had seen before; he even spent a good while in the dungeon with Stu Hart himself (not just Stu's kids). Jericho did the similar, though not as much and not as well.
With Jericho it might not always look as good as with Liger, but he gets the job done.
…don't you mean "does the job"? lol
Jericho is one of the few people who looks amazing even in defeat.
Which is still losing matches. This is who would WIN in a match; it's not about who would look better losing (Liger would win that contest too, btw).
He is afterall: The best in the world at what he does. I don't doubt that a bit, and I don't think anyone else really should either.
If by "best" you mean spending his prime—as you made mention above—picking up dog shit and having a completely lackluster title run, then yea, he's the "best" alright.
Liger's "best at what he does" is a career filled with going over guys who wrestled like Jericho, were the same size as Jericho, and had similar strengths and weaknesses as Jericho. Jericho is exactly the kind of guy Liger is the best at besting. ;)
This match isn't taking place in Japan, Mexico, or anywhere else Liger is so huge. Jericho wins with a Codebreaker followed by The Walls of Jericho after a 5 star match.
This match isn't taking place against anyone who is better than Liger in any meaningful way. Liger is so huge a talent/legend I suspect Jericho would tell you the same. Jushin "Thunder" Liger wins with a CTB followed by a top rope Super Brainbuster after a ****¼ match (mostly due to Jericho working a bit sloppy).

Oh here we go, someone's got their panties in a wad again. For Christ's sake lighten up. The universe doesn't hang in the balance here, opinions happen to differ, logic happens to come from different places. What I rationalize may not be what you rationalize, get over it. I thought this was supposed to be fun? You, don't sound like you're having fun.

:rolleyes:

Good question. I know Liger's was a prime that saw him routinely beating men just like Jericho. So… you know, there is that.

I thought it actually was a good question. Jericho has had 2 big runs with the WWE, one that saw him become the Undisputed Champion, and another that saw him break his own record for I.C. title reigns, hold the tag titles, and hold multiple world titles while having good feuds, putting on great matches, and completely reinventing his character. So, which part do you consider his prime as a result?

Again, via massive amounts of interference from Vince McMahon (2x), Kurt Angle, a dirty ref (Nick Patrick), and Booker T. Is that really going to happen here?

Does that even matter at this point? The point is he won, he beat SCSA and The Rock in the same night to become the first Undisputed Champion in the biggest promotion on the planet. How that doesn't eclipse winning various indy titles is beyond me.

Are you being sarcastic here?

No. If he accomplished things that Liger never has, on a grander scale than Liger has ever approached, than he must in some way be better. Maybe he has better mic skills? Maybe he is considered better at selling offense? Maybe he just has a better look? But in some way for him to succeed to the degree he has, with Liger never reaching those heights, it's not exactly far fetched to believe that he then must be a better talent in some way.

It's not being overlooked at all. It's just being placed in proper perspective and context.

And that's purely your opinion, not a fact at all. I was noticing that people were leaving Jericho's ability in the wind while gushing over Liger as if Jericho were some jobber that never made it. I acknowledged the lack of coverage on Jericho's ability, i.e. it being overlooked. If the bias was any greater for Liger I'd have to guess you were dating or romantically involved somehow. Now I'm being sarcastic.

W/o even knowing it Jericho actually walked a path eerily similar to the one Liger forged years earlier. Liger trained in Mexico, Canada, and Europe; he mastered Japanese strong-style Prowrestling, and incorporated martial arts strikes unlike anyone had seen before; he even spent a good while in the dungeon with Stu Hart himself (not just Stu's kids). Jericho did the similar, though not as much and not as well.

Thank you for that wonderful glimpse into the life of Liger. Maybe you've got a good shot at being his publicist, or even his dental floss as far up his ass as you are. "Not as much and not as well"? Is that also a fact or another biased statement made out of fandom? Did it ever occur to you that it was not all that uncommon at one time for guys to train all over and blend styles like both Liger and Jericho have? So what was your point again?

…don't you mean "does the job"?

No I meant that with his style, Liger may be more of a showman or a spectacle to watch, but regardless Jericho still puts on as good of a show while wrestling a different style.

lol Which is still losing matches. This is who would WIN in a match; it's not about who would look better losing (Liger would win that contest too, btw).

And my point was that Jericho is sooo good that he even looks good when losing, pointing at him doing everything very well. I never said it was about who would look better losing, that was an oversimplification of my statement.

If by "best" you mean spending his prime—as you made mention above—picking up dog shit and having a completely lackluster title run, then yea, he's the "best" alright.

Ya see, it's stuff like this where the bias and hatred is so vehement, the statement is so preposterous that I can't even take it with a grain of salt because that would be giving you and your statement too much credit. Which title run were you referring to btw? He's had plenty and played his role perfectly each time whether he was supposed to look weak since he was the heel or dominant as a heel.

Liger's "best at what he does" is a career filled with going over guys who wrestled like Jericho, were the same size as Jericho, and had similar strengths and weaknesses as Jericho. Jericho is exactly the kind of guy Liger is the best at besting. ;)

And next I'm assuming you're going to be telling me that he raised Lazarus from the dead, healed the blind, walked on water, turned water into wine, was crucified and resurrected in 3 days, and that you are anxiously awaiting his second coming?

You speak as though Jericho has just done nothing during his career. As if, he's never beat anyone remotely like Liger at all, which common sense has to tell you is simply not true. From his cruiser weight days in WCW to his last days in WWE he's beaten every variety of superstar there is, so how is he inferior here again? Oh that's right, his name isn't Jushin Liger, and you haven't given yourself a name on an internet forum devoted to him. I get it now.

This match isn't taking place against anyone who is better than Liger in any meaningful way. Liger is so huge a talent/legend I suspect Jericho would tell you the same. Jushin "Thunder" Liger wins with a CTB followed by a top rope Super Brainbuster after a ****¼ match (mostly due to Jericho working a bit sloppy).

I'm not sure if anyone clued you in yet, but this match isn't taking place at all. It's a vote. I happened to vote for Jericho for a number of reasons. You continue to slobber all over Liger for a number of reasons. Big deal. My guess is as good as yours. Maybe next time you will be more considerate of other peoples guesses in a fictitious tournament, that has nothing real at stake, and is supposed to be fun for everyone, instead of a pissing match. You can gladly have the urinal, I'm just having fun.

Does that even matter at this point? The point is he won, he beat SCSA and The Rock in the same night to become the first Undisputed Champion in the biggest promotion on the planet. How that doesn't eclipse winning various indy titles is beyond me.

You absolutely cannot be fucking serious. Indy titles? What the fuck is wrong with you? New Japan Pro Wrestling, CMLL and Dragon Gate are some of the most prevalent wrestling federations in the world. Calling them indy feds would be like calling WWE a medium-sized company. The J-Crown that Liger held was one of the most prestigious titles in the world, as it was actually 8 championships from across the world, including the WWF Light-Heavyweight Title, in one title. Winning that cleanly is much more impressive than using 6 guys and some ref bumps to beat the Rock and Stone Cold in one night.

No. If he accomplished things that Liger never has, on a grander scale than Liger has ever approached, than he must in some way be better. Maybe he has better mic skills? Maybe he is considered better at selling offense? Maybe he just has a better look? But in some way for him to succeed to the degree he has, with Liger never reaching those heights, it's not exactly far fetched to believe that he then must be a better talent in some way.

Once again, Jericho was not on a grander scale. Liger made appearances in WCW when it was beating WWE and has wrestling in front of huge audiences in the USA, Japan and Mexico. Everything about this is painfully blatant ignorance on your part. Liger reached the highest heights in Japan and pretty much created the style that guys like Jericho have made a career out of.

And that's purely your opinion, not a fact at all. I was noticing that people were leaving Jericho's ability in the wind while gushing over Liger as if Jericho were some jobber that never made it. I acknowledged the lack of coverage on Jericho's ability, i.e. it being overlooked. If the bias was any greater for Liger I'd have to guess you were dating or romantically involved somehow. Now I'm being sarcastic.

The reason Liger's abilities are being talked about more are because Liger is better, and no one voting for Jericho has the ability to argue why Jericho would win here.

Thank you for that wonderful glimpse into the life of Liger. Maybe you've got a good shot at being his publicist, or even his dental floss as far up his ass as you are. "Not as much and not as well"? Is that also a fact or another biased statement made out of fandom? Did it ever occur to you that it was not all that uncommon at one time for guys to train all over and blend styles like both Liger and Jericho have? So what was your point again?

But Jericho didn't create a new style. Liger helped create the blend of lucha and puro that many of the WCW cruiserweights and many indy guys use today.

And my point was that Jericho is sooo good that he even looks good when losing, pointing at him doing everything very well. I never said it was about who would look better losing, that was an oversimplification of my statement.

You know why Jericho looks good losing? Because he loses. A lot. Liger doesn't lose a lot. Advantage: Liger.

And next I'm assuming you're going to be telling me that he raised Lazarus from the dead, healed the blind, walked on water, turned water into wine, was crucified and resurrected in 3 days, and that you are anxiously awaiting his second coming?

He's actually a title holder in Mexico and the US right now, so no resurrection needed.

You speak as though Jericho has just done nothing during his career. As if, he's never beat anyone remotely like Liger at all, which common sense has to tell you is simply not true. From his cruiser weight days in WCW to his last days in WWE he's beaten every variety of superstar there is, so how is he inferior here again? Oh that's right, his name isn't Jushin Liger, and you haven't given yourself a name on an internet forum devoted to him. I get it now.

Jericho, throughout his career, was a jobber to the stars. Liger is a star. Jericho will look good, but Liger will win.

I'm not sure if anyone clued you in yet, but this match isn't taking place at all. It's a vote. I happened to vote for Jericho for a number of reasons. You continue to slobber all over Liger for a number of reasons. Big deal. My guess is as good as yours. Maybe next time you will be more considerate of other peoples guesses in a fictitious tournament, that has nothing real at stake, and is supposed to be fun for everyone, instead of a pissing match. You can gladly have the urinal, I'm just having fun.

It is just for fun, but it takes the fun out of it when people come in these threads and spew ignorance. Liger is better than Jericho in just about any aspect of the game and it is sad that he will end up losing here more than likely.

You absolutely cannot be fucking serious. Indy titles? What the fuck is wrong with you?

Don't pop a blood vessel here, lol. Just calm down, it's ok. Your reactions are priceless though, it's just funny hearing you guys freak out.

New Japan Pro Wrestling, CMLL and Dragon Gate are some of the most prevalent wrestling federations in the world. Calling them indy feds would be like calling WWE a medium-sized company. The J-Crown that Liger held was one of the most prestigious titles in the world, as it was actually 8 championships from across the world, including the WWF Light-Heavyweight Title, in one title. Winning that cleanly is much more impressive than using 6 guys and some ref bumps to beat the Rock and Stone Cold in one night.

I think you are missing the point. WWE is THEEE biggest Wrestling promotion on the planet. If you're at the top there, there is no higher. You could win every title NJPW, CMLL, DG, has to offer but that's not the WWE and it's certainly not the "grandest stage of them all". There's something to be said for being king of the biggest mountain. Just phone me when Liger has headlined a Wrestlemania.

Once again, Jericho was not on a grander scale. Liger made appearances in WCW when it was beating WWE and has wrestling in front of huge audiences in the USA, Japan and Mexico. Everything about this is painfully blatant ignorance on your part. Liger reached the highest heights in Japan and pretty much created the style that guys like Jericho have made a career out of.

With all due respect, Disco Inferno was wrestling with WCW when they were beating WWE, so was Norman Smiley, should we then presume like Liger that they were just bigger than Jericho ever was as well? And by the way, Jericho has also wrestled in front of those big audiences in Mexico, Canada, Japan, and smaller companies in the U.S. He's been referred to as the last great wrestler that was a product of the old system so how come Liger is a bigger deal for basically being restricted to that smaller level his whole career? How does consistently wrestling for smaller companies, when Jericho ruled the WWE TWICE, a bigger accomplishment? Call it ignorant all you want I'm fine with that, I just don't see how any of that makes him bigger than Jericho when he has yet to have success in the biggest promotion to date.

The reason Liger's abilities are being talked about more are because Liger is better, and no one voting for Jericho has the ability to argue why Jericho would win here.

Hey, but I wasn't crazy pointing out that the case was such? So, I shed some light on the fact that Jericho is very talented in the ring as well, talented enough to hang with this guy for sure. Liger may in fact have more "ability" in the ring, but that doesn't make the whole case now does it? I do have the ability to argue why Jericho wins this, even though that greatly displeases you.

But Jericho didn't create a new style. Liger helped create the blend of lucha and puro that many of the WCW cruiserweights and many indy guys use today.

I didn't say Jericho created a new style, I was saying that like Liger, his style is a blend of different styles which makes him increasingly more likely to be on par with Liger in any altercation. There are a lot of similarities between the two and there isn't some giant gap in talent between Liger and Jericho as most are trying to persuade.

You know why Jericho looks good losing? Because he loses. A lot. Liger doesn't lose a lot. Advantage: Liger.

He looks good losing because he's that good of a wrestler, period. He doesn't really lose "A LOT", he's just doesn't care if he loses because he knows at the end of the day he's still Chris Jericho with all his accomplishments and accolades. Putting someone else over doesn't bother him. He just so happened to do a lot of that at the end of this last run in WWE, but over all in his career he has won consistently and lost his fair share as well much like anyone else. This isn't some distinction only relevant to Jericho. Besides, I've seen Liger lose to guys Jericho has beat outside of his prime.

He's actually a title holder in Mexico and the US right now, so no resurrection needed.

Well, that's not the WWE is it? Not the biggest promotion on the planet? Never has been either right? That's old news for Jericho, beating the best in the biggest promotion.

Jericho, throughout his career, was a jobber to the stars. Liger is a star. Jericho will look good, but Liger will win.

This is just not true. The only guy I can think of right of the top of my head that he really has a losing record to is Triple H. Otherwise he is actually rather balanced with wins and loses. So what, he puts people over? That makes him a loser? No. He wins big matches, this one would be no different. If anything Liger is up for a loss by your admission that he seldom loses. Jericho is the bigger star, kayfabe, he goes over.

It is just for fun, but it takes the fun out of it when people come in these threads and spew ignorance. Liger is better than Jericho in just about any aspect of the game and it is sad that he will end up losing here more than likely.

It's not ignorance, it's differ-ence. You and some others are of the opinion that Liger is far and away better in every way conceivable. That is too far of a stretch for me, I am of the opinion Jericho has all the tools to win this match. And, this is fun. I like your arguments, you're funny and informative which makes this whole thing all the more entertaining. Thank you.

Jericho wins this match, albeit a close one, but wins it.

I think you are missing the point. WWE is THEEE biggest Wrestling promotion on the planet. If you're at the top there, there is no higher. You could win every title NJPW, CMLL, DG, has to offer but that's not the WWE and it's certainly not the "grandest stage of them all". There's something to be said for being king of the biggest mountain. Just phone me when Liger has headlined a Wrestlemania.

Silly me. I thought Rock vs. Hogan was the headline of Wrestlemania 18.

With all due respect, Disco Inferno was wrestling with WCW when they were beating WWE, so was Norman Smiley, should we then presume like Liger that they were just bigger than Jericho ever was as well? And by the way, Jericho has also wrestled in front of those big audiences in Mexico, Canada, Japan, and smaller companies in the U.S. He's been referred to as the last great wrestler that was a product of the old system so how come Liger is a bigger deal for basically being restricted to that smaller level his whole career? How does consistently wrestling for smaller companies, when Jericho ruled the WWE TWICE, a bigger accomplishment? Call it ignorant all you want I'm fine with that, I just don't see how any of that makes him bigger than Jericho when he has yet to have success in the biggest promotion to date.

So I guess Hornswoggle is better than Liger because he has had success in the biggest promotion?

This is just not true. The only guy I can think of right of the top of my head that he really has a losing record to is Triple H. Otherwise he is actually rather balanced with wins and loses. So what, he puts people over? That makes him a loser? No. He wins big matches, this one would be no different. If anything Liger is up for a loss by your admission that he seldom loses. Jericho is the bigger star, kayfabe, he goes over.

I guess you forgot about how Cena has made Jericho his bitch over and over again when Cena was a rookie, relative midcarder, and main eventer.

The biggest match Jericho won was almost ten years ago. That's a long time, isn't it?

Real quick-like seeing as how this is about to be over.
Oh here we go, someone's got their panties in a wad again. For Christ's sake lighten up. The universe doesn't hang in the balance here, opinions happen to differ, logic happens to come from different places. What I rationalize may not be what you rationalize, get over it. I thought this was supposed to be fun? You, don't sound like you're having fun.

:rolleyes:
Lulz I'm fine, "panties" definitely un-wadded. Debate is fun, hence, I have fun every year. Liger never gets far but I push for him every year just to read others so-called "rationalizations". BTW I hope you get your own irony. I enjoyed the smiley tho'. Think I'll give it a try.

I thought it actually was a good question. Jericho has had 2 big runs with the WWE, one that saw him become the Undisputed Champion, and another that saw him break his own record for I.C. title reigns, hold the tag titles, and hold multiple world titles while having good feuds, putting on great matches, and completely reinventing his character. So, which part do you consider his prime as a result?
You specified his prime. I didn't, nor would I.
It matters when you use it as the basis for claiming a future victory in completely dissimilar circumstances. Granted, history is written by the victors; good thing these days we have it on tape.

And "indy"?

Puh-Lease. :rolleyes: (Did I do the smiley right? I can never tell…)
There's so much wrong here I don't even know where to begin. To put it plainly, Liger, as a non-American, has a different perception and cultural approach to what is considered the best, significant, meaningful, important, etc. Likewise, to view WWE as the be-all-end-all of Prowrestling is just close-minded.
Actually, as I've said before I'm a huge Jericho mark (met him several times too). I wasn't overlooking anything nor was anyone else, not really. It was looked at and a case couldn't be/wasn't made.
Thank you for that wonderful glimpse into the life of Liger. Maybe you've got a good shot at being his publicist, or even his dental floss as far up his ass as you are. "Not as much and not as well"? Is that also a fact or another biased statement made out of fandom?
Markdom. The proper IWC term is "markdom".
Did it ever occur to you that it was not all that uncommon at one time for guys to train all over and blend styles like both Liger and Jericho have? So what was your point again?
The thought literally NEVER crossed my mind… (I'd put the smiley there but I wouldn't want to be repetitive. Instead, just imagine the eye rolling.) Anywhoo, my point was Jericho was similar to Liger in many respects. Just inferior. I though that was clear, no?
No I meant that with his style, Liger may be more of a showman or a spectacle to watch, but regardless Jericho still puts on as good of a show while wrestling a different style.
Um, yea, I was just making a joke about jobbing. You know, just trying to have fun and all.
You made a tertiary point with regards to why someone is "better" and how that would somehow influence the outcome of a match. I was merely synthesizing it back down to the point of the whole affair i.e. bringing it back to this match,
right now,
right here…
in EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J.! (cheap pop? anybody?)
Ya see, it's stuff like this where the bias and hatred is so vehement, the statement is so preposterous that I can't even take it with a grain of salt because that would be giving you and your statement too much credit. Which title run were you referring to btw? He's had plenty and played his role perfectly each time whether he was supposed to look weak since he was the heel or dominant as a heel.
Hatred? lulz. Not really, but sure, ok. The thing is, you made mention his prime —remember, he can only have one—was around the time of his undisputed win. I'm simply recalling that that was also the time of his terrible title run, and dog poo work. You left the door wide-open. I just stepped through.

Unless of course you mean his prime was literally that one night and not the title run after… you know, the night that he needed to cheat massively to succeed at. :rolleyes: (Naaaaaailed it! Score!)
Pfffft. Liger would P'WN Jesus in a match, duh.

But again, my point w/o your added hyperbole, was that Liger has an entire career based on beating those who are exceedingly similar to Chris Jericho, the man he's up against in this round. Rather than refute that you say I'm comparing Liger to Jesus. *shrug* Ok.

Pop quiz.

Who'd win in a wrestling match, Liger or God?
……………

Wrong,

trick question dick head,

Liger IS God.

[/sarcasm]
You speak as though Jericho has just done nothing during his career. As if, he's never beat anyone remotely like Liger at all, which common sense has to tell you is simply not true. From his cruiser weight days in WCW to his last days in WWE he's beaten every variety of superstar there is, so how is he inferior here again?
First, specificity trumps variety. Second, I know who has beaten who and Liger has been more dominant. Simple as.
Oh that's right, his name isn't Jushin Liger, and you haven't given yourself a name on an internet forum devoted to him.
Man, I wish this forum was devoted to him. Don't look now but your participle is dangling.
I get it now.
Really? I don't think ya do. But keep trying. I'm sure you'll get it one of these days, dark horse you may be.
I'm not sure if anyone clued you in yet, but this match isn't taking place at all. It's a vote. I happened to vote for Jericho for a number of reasons.
Again, seeing the irony? You did not see how I was merely going off how you mentioned this match was taking place in American and not Japan, yes? So to that I say "I'm not sure if anyone clued you in yet, but this match isn't taking place at all."
You continue to slobber all over Liger for a number of reasons. Big deal. My guess is as good as yours. Maybe next time you will be more considerate of other peoples guesses in a fictitious tournament, that has nothing real at stake, and is supposed to be fun for everyone, instead of a pissing match. You can gladly have the urinal, I'm just having fun.
You posted your "guesses" on a discussion board. Its sole purpose which is to spark discourse and debate (especially during polled tournaments). If you didn't want people to retort you could have voted and written nothing like practically everyone else has done. Why on earth would you expect consideration? Again, the irony is tremendous. For a guy who doesn't care and wants to have fun you seem to be very critical. As for me? I had a blast. See ya next year!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back