Hogan And Austin Had More Impact On Wrestling History Than The Rock

RIPbossman

Occasional Pre-Show
Many people consider Hogan, Austin and Rock to be the holy trinity of the Wrestlemania era. And while Rock may have gotten bigger crowd reactions than the other two, Hogan and Austin were much more important to wrestling history.

With a new radical vision for pro wrestling behind him, Hogan lead the charge as Vince McMahon revolutionized the business.

In 1997, WWE was in dire straits and on the verge of going under as WCW destroyed Raw in the ratings. Then again, a radical new vision for the company emerged in 1998 with Austin leading the charge. He along with a great supporting cast, pulled WWE from the brink of collapse and made them a thriving force once again.

I feel Rock passed Austin in 1999 from a popularity standpoint. But by that time WWE was a thriving force and WCW wasnt competitive any more. Rock never got the opportunity to impact wrestling history like Austin and Hogan did. He just made WWE more popular.

id agree but only because the Rock has completely transcended the wrestling industry. Hogan and Austin are more important to the small little kingdom that is professional wrestling sure, but Rock has gone on to achieve much more on a worldwide scale that both combined.

I agree without hesitation. And in doing so, I have no intention of attempting to downplay the Rock's POPULARITY, only his impact.

Hogan obviously was the face of the WWF when McMahon was changing the entire industry. His popularity, having crossed into mainstream, was unprecedented.

Austin, unquestionably, was the face and the fire of the Attitude Era, regardless of what you believe about when exactly the Attitude Era began. Austin was the frontman of a new day in WWF, one that no doubt had MANY players, including the Rock.

But the Rock's popularity came on a little slower. He was not a "game changer," though he did have the benefit of being one of wrestling's all-time most popular, dynamic characters.

Austin and the Attitude Era would have been just as successful without The Rock. It's hard to imagine, but it's true. The Rock's feud with SCSA came AFTER Austin had already turned the tides in the MNWs with his feud with McMahon. Granted, for Austin to go from McMahon to the Rock kept the fire red hot, but I don't think Rock's presence was necessary.

Rock deserves his place, without question. But it is not atop Olympia with Hogan and Austin.

Hogan was wrestling, the only name anyone knew in the early 90's, you knew Hogan, Savage and maybe Andre, if you didn't want wrestling.

Austin created the Attitude Era, the entire surge of wrestling in the late 90's came from Austin's rebellious antics and eventually the McMahon feud. While it takes 2 to tango, and The Rock was a big art of Austin vs McMahon, I think Rock rode Austin a lot on his initial pushes.

While Dwayne has had the most success outside of the ring (and possibly might be becoming one of the biggest Action Actors in history), I think the way he left the wrestling scene deflated and hurt wrestling more than the other stars.

The fact that one of the WWE flagship shows is named after The Rock's catchphrase of Smackdown! is proof enough that The Rock has left a strong legacy, but I think WCW was only legitimate once Hogan jumped ship, and I think Stone Cold elevated The Rock to the level that he was at going into the new millennium.

I hold The Rock and John Cena at about the same level, I think after Cena's done wrestling, that will be a popular opinion, slightly unpopular now. The Rock wasn't the face of the company as long as Austin was there.

Vince McMahon> Hogan > Austin > Bruno > The Rock = John Cena, is basically my hierarchy of wrestling.

Hogan and Vince took WWF main stream in the early 1980s. Together they made WrestleMania what it was. It is beyond question that Hulk Hogan made the business what it is today. However, he also betrayed Vince by going to WCW, which caused Stone Cold to erupt in popularity due to his Character and Storylines as well as his excellent matches with Bret Hart, Mick Foley, Undertaker and Shawn Michaels. However, Rock made just as big an impact as Austin, and carried the WWF during the year 2000 as the main man. The fact that The Rock then went on to be the biggest star in Hollywood 16 years later is a reflection of his charisma and the impact he has on audiences. The 3 of them had an important but different impacts on the business in equal measure.

Since we are talking about wrestling history here, Hogan and Vince certainly top that list but putting Austin there is irrational worship of a guy who happened to be the top face for barely a year.

When people look back at wrestling history a lot of people are ahead of austin. A general fan remembers more Undertaker moments than Austin's, they remember more of The Rocks' phrases than Austin.

Kevin freakin Nash & Sting had a bigger impact than Austin.

Austin was more of a flash in the pan. As far as wrestling history goes guys like kane, Bret, Shawn, flair, etc had a bigger impact.

Austin was great no one can take away that. But wrestling history ain't just about 3 men. All these legends deserve their place even Cena.

And as much as i hate to admit it, an argument can be made for goldberg too.

lol HBK and bret were place holders at best

And yes, Austin does deserve his place atop the mountain, are you saying that WWF would have crushed WCW without Austin vs McMahon? Make no mistake about it Austin is better than the rest save for Hulk Hogan, he did take wrestling to the next level and he had a huge impact. The Attitude Era wouldn't exist without the guy, just as the WrestleMania era wouldn't exist without Hogan.

lol HBK and bret were place holders at best

I disagree here. Both had a major impact on the pro wrestling industry. It just will never be remembered the way Hogan and Austin had impact on wrestling. Business was down and times were tough for WWF when they were on top. But they changed the game from the rock and wrestling super heros era to a more in ring based focused company.

Bret Hart was the first guy they went with post Hogan. His first title reign was a really tough position to be in. There was no winning there. I do think he did a great job though and made the champion more of a part of the weekly show.

Shawn was champion when the WWF was at its absolute worst. Many give him credit for carrying the ball through the rough patch and have said they weren't sure if they would have made it through without him.

Did Bret/Shawn have the impact Hogan/Austin had? I don't think so. But I certainly won't call them place holders either.

The Rock also didn't have the impact of Hogan/Austin mainly because when he became the top face of the company, the AE was on the down swing of popularity. Wrestling is cyclical and was starting to drift from the main stream around that time.

The Rock is only a big star for what he did after wrestling.. He alwsys played second fiddle to Austin, that's why Austin won most if their matches. Austin was the face from 97 to 2002

As much as I like Austin he was only at the top and face of the company for a relatively short amount of time, Before that he was always good but was only involved in throw away feuds against guys like Savio Vega, Not taking anything away from him as he did still make a huge impact and saved the WWE during a bad time.
Same with The Rock he may well be the most well known and popular wrestler of all time outside of wrestling but during his wrestling peak I only viewed him as second to Austin with his face of the company time also short.

Hogan on the other hand appeared to have decades as the main event during a time when the company was pretty much built around one man which made his accomplishment more impressive, Arguably without Hogan there would be no Wrestlemania and wrestling would be more than likely a lot different today and also believe Mcmahon wouldn't have been anywhere near as sucessful with the expansion of the WWE in the mid 80's without Hogan as the top draw.

The Rock is only a big star for what he did after wrestling.. He alwsys played second fiddle to Austin, that's why Austin won most if their matches. Austin was the face from 97 to 2002

Incorrect.

Let's face it, it's a loaded thread... all 3 had massive impacts on wrestling history. Hogan was the first "uber face" to go national, Austin turned around the Monday Night Wars and to do it he needed a proper foil, not just Vince... that was Rock.

Where Dwayne/Rock has truly made the most impact though is in his return to wrestling while pretty much being the top guy in Hollywood.

Hogan and Austin played at being actors, as did Jesse Ventura but he was retired... Rocky not only went out and became a top wrestler, went to the movies and got MASSIVE... he came back and for a period was almost as active as he was in movies... He was in Fast films and wrestling... he randomly shows up and does a match at Mania (yes a squash on Rowan, but it still counts) while being the biggest guy in Hollywood and it's VERY possible a future politician or even president eventually.

No one is EVER gonna have as big an impact on Wrestling history as The Rock... he is the guy who took what the other two tried, took it further and brought it back home to make him and it bigger. Make no mistake, there are WWE fans now because they liked HIM in movies and were curious when he came back... Anyone who bought a ticket to Mr. Nanny or The Condemned knew what they were getting.

The WWE did their best ratings with The Rock at the top. When both Austin and The Undertaker were off TV for early 2000 The Rock was carrying the WWE to record business. When Austin went out in late 99 the WWE was doing mid 5 ratings. In 2000 without Austin, without Taker, without the McMahons, The Rock was carrying the WWE to mid 6 and even 7 ratings.

Wrestlemania 15 with Austin and The Rock as Main Event drew 800K buys. Wrestlemania 16 that had no Austin or Taker but had The Rock in the main event drew 824K buys.

The Rock is completely underrated when it comes to impact made on the business. People just think that business spiked due to Austin and McMahon, but that is false, business certainly improved with them but business didn't completely spike until The Rock became a main eventer. Him being the focal point of the 1999 Rumble is what drew it to make 300K more buys than the one with Austin being the front, him being the headline at KOTR 99 did 120K more buys than the previous year with Austin on top.

The bottom line is The Rock routinely outdrew Austin, and he did it without the help of Mike Tyson or feuding with Vince McMahon. He did all the drawing on his own.

The WWE did their best ratings with The Rock at the top. When both Austin and The Undertaker were off TV for early 2000 The Rock was carrying the WWE to record business. When Austin went out in late 99 the WWE was doing mid 5 ratings. In 2000 without Austin, without Taker, without the McMahons, The Rock was carrying the WWE to mid 6 and even 7 ratings.

Wrestlemania 15 with Austin and The Rock as Main Event drew 800K buys. Wrestlemania 16 that had no Austin or Taker but had The Rock in the main event drew 824K buys.

The Rock is completely underrated when it comes to impact made on the business. People just think that business spiked due to Austin and McMahon, but that is false, business certainly improved with them but business didn't completely spike until The Rock became a main eventer. Him being the focal point of the 1999 Rumble is what drew it to make 300K more buys than the one with Austin being the front, him being the headline at KOTR 99 did 120K more buys than the previous year with Austin on top.

The bottom line is The Rock routinely outdrew Austin, and he did it without the help of Mike Tyson or feuding with Vince McMahon. He did all the drawing on his own.

Yup, no question. Rock took it to another level in 2000. And he did it without ever being booked nearly as strong as Austin, or Hogan.

Yup, no question. Rock took it to another level in 2000. And he did it without ever being booked nearly as strong as Austin, or Hogan.

But was he the reason, or was he riding a wave? (Or, likely, a mix of those two? Maybe the best answer is that Rocky extended the peak of the Attitude Era for a year or two?)

It's very easy to point to Hulkamania. It's pretty easy to point to the Stone Cold persona and the Austin-McMAhon feud. Those weren't just the biggest storylines going on in boom periods, they pretty much defined those boom periods. And it's hard to imagine those personas working in other time periods. Hogan and Austin are walking incarnations of the two biggest boom periods in pro wrestling.

It's not nearly as difficult to imagine The Rock being The Rock in the Hulkamania era, or as a full-timer at the height of the John Cena PG Era, or today. (I flat-out don't remember before the 80s, so I can't say).

Are you anti-Austin fans ever going to stop saying stupid stuff like this and stop discrediting Austin to make Rock look superior than him and maybe consider there were other factors at play here other than The Rock was just there?

The Rock did it without feuding with Vince McMahon? Uh, yes he did feud with Vince McMahon actually. In fact, he was feuding with two great heels in Triple H and Vince McMahon. I suppose you think The Rock could've feuded with Funaki and still drew those numbers. The Rock had a great supporting cast in 2000, one that was much better and more loaded than the previous years. Every title division was stacked with great talent with everyone doing their bit to produce great TV, you had guys like Chris Jericho and The Hardy Boyz who were also popular, do you ever think that maybe The Rock wasn't everybody's favourite back then and some people may have tuned into see Jericho or The Hardy Boyz? I know guys who weren't fans of The Rock back then and were Austin fans awaiting his return or they were fans of somebody else. There was something for everybody back in 2000. The WWF was white hot and riding the wave of 1998 and 1999. And the WWF was riding the wave of the NWO in 1996 who made wrestling cool as hell. In 98 and 99, the WWF were gaining momentum, beating WCW in the ratings again, getting better & better and the peak of that momentum was 2000, so whether The Rock was there or not just like Austin wasn't there, the WWF would've done it's biggest numbers in 2000 regardless. WCW was also a non-factor that year and drove fans away from their product over to the WWF. I'm not taking anything away from The Rock, he was indeed a big draw and the leading guy in 2000, he just wasn't the only factor in the WWF's most successful year like some of his idiot fans love to pretend he was.

Of course Wrestlemania 16 was gonna do better buys than Wrestlemania 15, the product was super hot and WCW sucked. Of course Royal Rumble 1999 was gonna do better buys than Royal Rumble 1998. The WWF were still getting their asses kicked in the ratings by WCW at the time, the Attitude Era wasn't in full mode yet and Austin wasn't a main eventer just yet despite his hot rise and being the hottest guy in the company. Shawn Michaels was still carrying the company on his back. And yeah, let's ignore the fact that The Rock's opponent at Royal Rumble was a super loveable babyface in Mankind, the guy who got fans to change the channel from Nitro to Raw and tune in to watch him win the WWF Title and never go back to WCW again, making WCW history before it's actual demise, it was because The Rock was competing in that match that people changed the channel to see that match, Foley winning the title and Tony Schiavone stupidly giving away the result on Nitro wasn't even a factor. Let's ignore the Austin/McMahon drama, the Royal Rumble match and that it was a major & exciting PPV. None of that mattered, it was just The Rock all by himself that got those buys for Royal Rumble 1999. Let's ignore the Austin/McMahon drama, that The Rock's opponent was The Undertaker, that WCW was done by that point, the King Of The Ring tournament and that it was also a major & exciting PPV, that WCW were still competition for the WWF the previous year's KOTR especially with Goldberg's hot rise, that the Attitude Era in 1998 wasn't as established and bringing in more money as it did in 1999, you know, despite the popular opinion that 1999 was the worst year, and the Attitude Era had just only really kicked into full gear 3 months earlier after Austin won the title and became the new top star at Wrestlemania 14. It was all The Rock for KOTR 99's numbers and it doing better than KOTR 98, nothing else was a factor. Like I said above, the WWF was picking up more momentum every year, getting better and better. Mega-success doesn't happen overnight, it takes time.

So next time you open your mouth, consider that there were other factors involved, you know, like how you anti-Austin guys like to bring Mike Tyson and Vince McMahon up for Austin's success, acting like Austin wasn't mega-hot on his own. When Austin made his entrances and got huge pops, was Mike Tyson and Vince McMahon there with him? No. When Austin cut promos in the ring and got huge pops, was Mike Tyson and Vince McMahon there with him? No. You act like you could've put anyone else in Austin's spot and played Austin's character during the Tyson/Michaels/McMahon programme and it still would've been as successful. Yeah, no, it wouldn't have. Only Austin could've made that spot, his character work. No one else at the time had his genius, brilliance, creativity and charisma to pull off the Stone Cold character. The Rock didn't do it on his own and had help just like Austin did. The Rock had great opponents to work with in Mick Foley, Triple H, Stone Cold, Vince McMahon etc. just like had Austin had Mike Tyson, Vince McMahon, Shawn Michaels etc. It was a team effort.

But was he the reason, or was he riding a wave? (Or, likely, a mix of those two? Maybe the best answer is that Rocky extended the peak of the Attitude Era for a year or two?)

It's very easy to point to Hulkamania. It's pretty easy to point to the Stone Cold persona and the Austin-McMAhon feud. Those weren't just the biggest storylines going on in boom periods, they pretty much defined those boom periods. And it's hard to imagine those personas working in other time periods. Hogan and Austin are walking incarnations of the two biggest boom periods in pro wrestling.

It's not nearly as difficult to imagine The Rock being The Rock in the Hulkamania era, or as a full-timer at the height of the John Cena PG Era, or today. (I flat-out don't remember before the 80s, so I can't say).

Rocky Johnson was around at the beginning of the 80s era, as was tony atlas.

Anyone remember saba simba?

Those who say that HBK/Bret did not have an impact, just remember, how many wrestlers have you heard saying that they started wrestling because they saw HBK or Bret Hart wrestle? The list reaches infinity.

On to the point, of course Hogan and Austin had more impact in wrestling than the Rock. The cornerstone of the Attitude Era was Austin vs McMahon. Then the rest. The Rock became a huge megastar after 2000, Austin was already one.

The Rock was just better than Austin and Hogan, but he didn't have a bigger impact. Austin carried the company in his back, leading the locker room in the most dark times in 1998. It was a big task for him and he did it.

The Rock may have achieved big popularity, but in wrestling, no one can deny what Austin and Hogan did.

More impact in the sense that both personify two great eras of wrestling sure. You had others but if you think on golden age you think of Hogan and when you think on Attitude Era you think of Austin. Though you can argue that without Rock you would lose one big part of history. There is a reason why he was there with Hogan and Austin sharing a beer at Wrestlemania 30 and its not just because he is now no1 grossing actor in the world.

Those who say that HBK/Bret did not have an impact, just remember, how many wrestlers have you heard saying that they started wrestling because they saw HBK or Bret Hart wrestle? The list reaches infinity.
HBK was also the guy who almost bankrupt the company when he was no1. Though you certanly cant exclude anyone like Bret, Shawn, Undertaker, HHH, Mankind, Sting, Cena etc. They all had and still have big impact.

On to the point, of course Hogan and Austin had more impact in wrestling than the Rock. The cornerstone of the Attitude Era was Austin vs McMahon. Then the rest. The Rock became a huge megastar after 2000, Austin was already one.

The Rock was just better than Austin and Hogan, but he didn't have a bigger impact. Austin carried the company in his back, leading the locker room in the most dark times in 1998. It was a big task for him and he did it.

The Rock may have achieved big popularity, but in wrestling, no one can deny what Austin and Hogan did.

Another thing, other than 15 with Austin and 18 with hogan, when was the rock himself the marquee match back then and truly a huge draw?

I discount the cena/rock manjas because he was clearly the draw by then.

See also his nostalgia run when he took the belt from punk.

Hogan and Austin played at being actors, as did Jesse Ventura but he was retired... Rocky not only went out and became a top wrestler, went to the movies and got MASSIVE... he came back and for a period was almost as active as he was in movies... He was in Fast films and wrestling... he randomly shows up and does a match at Mania (yes a squash on Rowan, but it still counts) while being the biggest guy in Hollywood and it's VERY possible a future politician or even president eventually..

What makes you say he's going to be a politician?

Do we really have to compare all 3?

I understand it's in human nature to put one thing above the other but let's just take a second.

Hogan was the foundation of WrestleMania and Vinnie Macs expansion.

Austin was the catalyst for the turn around during the MNW and the reason people started tuning back into WWF

Rock took the baton whilst Austin was out and solidified himself as the main guy whilst also showing you can transcend the business by moving over into mainstream T.V and Hollywood opening the door for every superstar after him.

Each had a significant impact on the business that today's generation had benefited from greatly.

Great fued, did wonders for elevating HBK, isnt as highly regarded as Flair-Steamboat, though I dont think either of them meant much to The Rock.

Of the 3 Hogan had the biggest impact on the wrestling industry.

Austin may have been hotter than Hogan at his absoloute peak... but he wasn't on top for long... and even at the peak of his popularity he spent a year out with neck surgery (late 1999-late 2000) and walked out for 10 months after losing faith with the booking.

Hogan had a near 20 year run at the top... so whilst Austin hit a higher peak it could be argued he outdrew Austin over a longer time period

Rock is still a top 3 wrestling icon... but as described elsewhere in this thread.... WM18 showed who the fans wanted to cheer given the choice.
Rock had a very high peak from 1998-2001 but after between 2001-2004 he was a part time attraction.... and then didn't wrestle again till 2012.... where he has made one-off appearances to spike up PPV buys

Of the 3 Hogan is still on the front cover when the history of wrestling is written.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back