• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

High School: Is it really THAT important?

Ptd

HxC
Being a sophomore currently in high school, I've been thinking a lot latley, is the high school system really essential to becoming educated and succseful? I'm speaking of American schools though, I can't speak on behalf of the English and Australian posters here.

I honestly think the American high school system is a fucking joke. It puts tremendous amounts of stress onto young people entering their adulthood, and for what? A spot in a high ranked college? They put so much pressure onto you, just so you can make mommy and daddy proud. Sure, some of the shit they teach you is useful, even vital, but thats probably about 10% of what you learn. Nothing some good ol' self education wont teach you. And thats exactly the key, self education. It's so much more important then waht they teach you. I believe if you have the ability to self educate well, then you're golden. Seriously, just think to yourself, where have you learned the most in your life? The answer is probably through self education.

Now you're probably thinking, well he's so against school, why dosnt he drop out? Well, unfortnatley that is not an option in my parents eyes. But believe me, if I could I would. Dropping out isnt actually the stupidest thing to do. You have the option fromt here to get your GED and go straight to college, skipping all the high school bullshit. After you get your GED, you go to a community college of sorts for 2 years, work hard while there and transfer to a better(name wise) college. Simple as that. Just to prove how relaistic that is, someone I know dropped out as a junior and got his GED. From there, he went to a community college. He worked his ass off there and got into Columbia University, an Ivy League school in New York. A dropout in the Ivy League? Yes, it is possible, alls you have to do is show your true potential in college, when it really matters. I plan to take a similar route, not dropping out, but just getting by with my grades in high school, then using my true ability in college.

Whats your guys opinions? Is high school needed? Does it really teach you whats important in the real world?

School, in general is pointless in some aspects. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying scrap school, I mean, I want to become a teacher. But I mean there is so much pressure in some subjects for nothing. I had to sit through 10 years of science - I absolutely hate science and I really doubt learning how to cut open a sheep heart, or learning about evolution will help me at all at life. Science isn't even important in college now I'm here. I want to teach 3-7 year olds, everything else is pointless.

You should get a lot more choice ni what you do. Another thing to annoy me is Religious Education - just another pointless exam to stress me out, where I learnt things I ALREADY KNEW! The exam asked me about attitudes to things such as abortion, euthanasia and sex befopre marriage, and to compare that to other religious opinions. I do that in this section all the time! R.E. was completely pointless. As was P.E. - it wasn't a structured lesson where you learnt how to be healthy. You were put in groups and told to play basketball or badminton - which I did for 2 years. I'm pretty damn sure I could have found so many more helpful things to do in all those hours.

As was P.E. - it wasn't a structured lesson where you learnt how to be healthy. You were put in groups and told to play basketball or badminton - which I did for 2 years. I'm pretty damn sure I could have found so many more helpful things to do in all those hours.

P.E was there to help stop you becoming overweight. Complain all you want but that was it's purpose. If you wanted to learn how to be healthy, look in the internet. It's not hard. P.E was a just a fun way of spending time in school without the stress. You got to run around playing sport, not sit in a classroom and write for hours. Sure, maybe not as helpful. But nessecary. Without it, you'd probably be a few pounds heavier.

P.E was there to help stop you becoming overweight. Complain all you want but that was it's purpose. If you wanted to learn how to be healthy, look in the internet. It's not hard. P.E was a just a fun way of spending time in school without the stress. You got to run around playing sport, not sit in a classroom and write for hours. Sure, maybe not as helpful. But nessecary. Without it, you'd probably be a few pounds heavier.

I very, very much doubt it. An hour a week of badminton didn't affect me in the slightest. You say "Without the stress" - I know quite a few people who git stressed out because they weren't any good at some sports. I'm horrible at badminton, and looking like an idiot just made me feel shit. I'd have much rather been sat in English than doing something pointless like P.E.

I very, very much doubt it. An hour a week of badminton didn't affect me in the slightest. You say "Without the stress" - I know quite a few people who git stressed out because they weren't any good at some sports. I'm horrible at badminton, and looking like an idiot just made me feel shit. I'd have much rather been sat in English than doing something pointless like P.E.

Pahaha. I'm sure you wern't doing badminton for 2 years straight. I'm horrible at badminton too, but I got on with it. Have a go and try, if you're not very good then who cares? Oh btw, you're meant to do 2 hours week by law. So actually, double that. I'm sure you did cross country at some point, and that will have helped. Looking like an idiot you say? How about going from that, to improving and feeling more confident because you've been able to go from nothing to something? Worth it I say.

Pahaha. I'm sure you wern't doing badminton for 2 years straight.

'Twas badminton and basketball for 2 years. So many people didn't go there wasn't really enough people to do games of anything - especially in year 11.

I'm horrible at badminton too, but I got on with it. Have a go and try, if you're not very good then who cares?

Bitchy High School girls.

Oh btw, you're meant to do 2 hours week by law.

We're supposed to do a lot of things.

So actually, double that. I'm sure you did cross country at some point, and that will have helped.

For a coule of weeks in year 8 I think it was. What a waste of my time.

Looking like an idiot you say? How about going from that, to improving and feeling more confident because you've been able to go from nothing to something? Worth it I say.

Very much not worth it - spending 2 hours doing something that helped me > spending 2 hours doing something that hasn't helped me

'Twas badminton and basketball for 2 years. So many people didn't go there wasn't really enough people to do games of anything - especially in year 11.

Try getting a better headmaster and getting him to do his job. There must have been enough for a small game, no matter what. If it got you running it's good enough.

Bitchy High School girls.

Don't let yourself get affected that easily. C'mon, I thought better of you.

We're supposed to do a lot of things.

Then do it.

For a couple of weeks in year 8 I think it was. What a waste of my time.

Waste of your time? Going for a run and making yourself healthier? Yeah, why do that.. Oh, and your cross country isn't bad at all. The boys had to do 4 extra laps compared to the girls, because we're 'equal'.

Try getting a better headmaster and getting him to do his job. There must have been enough for a small game, no matter what. If it got you running it's good enough.

Sometimes there were 5 of us - my 4 best friends and me. Because we were the only ones that ever bothered to go to the class, when it got to year 11 everyone else used 'coursework' as an excuse to get out of P.E. so badminton was the only thing to do.

Don't let yourself get affected that easily. C'mon, I thought better of you.

I'm obviously deeply upset about it. I'm simply saying it isn't stress free, as you like to think.

Waste of your time? Going for a run and making yourself healthier? Yeah, why do that.. Oh, and your cross country isn't bad at all. The boys had to do 4 extra laps compared to the girls, because we're 'equal'.

Eugh, don't talk to me about equal. The guys got to play rugby while I was sat playing badminton. We couldn't join in because "they might hurt us". I argued quite a lot against that. But yes, completely unfair.

Sometimes there were 5 of us - my 4 best friends and me. Because we were the only ones that ever bothered to go to the class, when it got to year 11 everyone else used 'coursework' as an excuse to get out of P.E. so badminton was the only thing to do.

Badminton is better than nothing. Just sayin'.

I'm obviously deeply upset about it. I'm simply saying it isn't stress free, as you like to think.

What did they do exactly? Please, give me an example because I bet it isn't bad enough to stress anyone out.

I'm not talking of a personal experience here, I happen to be good enough at most sports to get through that (Yes, my vain moment is now over). However, there is a lot more stress during these lessons than your general maths lesson, say. If you can't do something, you say you don't know and it's over. But if you do something wrong in a game of *insert sport here* it generall annoys the team and makes you feel bad. I know from when I was playing rugby how horrible I felt when I knocked on or something similar.

Alright yeah, the pressure is on more I guess. But, everyone is allowed to make a mistake. I mean, in our games if someone does something wrong we don't have a go at them. They'll feel bad enough, we just help them get past it and continue on as they were. Sure, they may not be amazing. Who gives a fuck? They're taking part, and if they're not good at a sport but still do that then they have balls. If they make a mistake, so be it. We got brought up to help eachother, not put them down.

Being a sophomore currently in high school, I've been thinking a lot latley, is the high school system really essential to becoming educated and succseful? I'm speaking of American schools though, I can't speak on behalf of the English and Australian posters here.

I honestly think the American high school system is a fucking joke. It puts tremendous amounts of stress onto young people entering their adulthood, and for what? A spot in a high ranked college? They put so much pressure onto you, just so you can make mommy and daddy proud. Sure, some of the shit they teach you is useful, even vital, but thats probably about 10% of what you learn. Nothing some good ol' self education wont teach you. And thats exactly the key, self education. It's so much more important then waht they teach you. I believe if you have the ability to self educate well, then you're golden. Seriously, just think to yourself, where have you learned the most in your life? The answer is probably through self education.

Now you're probably thinking, well he's so against school, why dosnt he drop out? Well, unfortnatley that is not an option in my parents eyes. But believe me, if I could I would. Dropping out isnt actually the stupidest thing to do. You have the option fromt here to get your GED and go straight to college, skipping all the high school bullshit. After you get your GED, you go to a community college of sorts for 2 years, work hard while there and transfer to a better(name wise) college. Simple as that. Just to prove how relaistic that is, my I do shows with dropped out as a junior and got his GED. From there, he went to a community college. He worked his ass off there and got into Columbia University, an Ivy League school in New York. A dropout in the Ivy League? Yes, it is possible, alls you have to do is show your true potential in college, when it really matters. I plan to take a similar route, not dropping out, but just getting by with my grades in high school, then using my true ability in college.

Whats your guys opinions? Is high school needed? Does it really teach you whats important in the real world?
Why would you drop out of high school? That doesn't even make sense. Do you know with an associate degree you are better off then roughly fifty percent of all Americans? That is a pretty alarming number. And by better off I mean having higher wages and salaries and better jobs.

You bring up the GED. Why waste your time doing that when you can get a diploma in four years? You know, an education you can get for free and your education is only what you make of it.

Another thing, why drop out, waste your time in Community College for two years then going off to a bigger school? I never really understood that. When I was in high school my first two years sucked, and I would do anything to get those years back. When I hit 11th grade my GPA was 1.7. By the time I graduated it was like a 2.8. Which is alright. But I can't get into good school with that. I applied for some big schools in my area like Pitt, Penn State, and even Cal U. But I didn't get accepted. Now i waste two years in school taking credits, wasting money, and that would have been avoidable if I did well in school.

Speaking as someone who dropped out. I wish I didn't. But I am soon gonna be trying to get my GED. Now College really idk isn't for me. I'm smart but I don't think I'm college smart. While I was at school in certain classes I could pull off a good grade every now and then. Anything History related now I could do real good in. I love history anything about it is fun. I hated math thought. I know its one if not the most important thing you learn in school but I just really couldn't stand math. Its what I did worst in and rarely ever got a passing grade in math. But yeah I think High School is important because without it you can't get a job for one thing well a good job that is. Also I mean it teaches some things you might need. I mean yes I hate math but certain things you learn in math will really help when you get a job. I mean math and money go hand and hand and I'm sure you wanna know your not getting cheated out of money.

High School, at least from the American perspective, is the end all be all. At least while you're in it. I cannot speak as an expert, but from my experience it seems that the rest of society is structured in many ways much like the hierarchy of the High School, with many of the same stereotypes reinforced, punished and rewarded. So, to that extent, High School is important in that it sets you up for the "real world," in which people will judge upon first impressions, superficiality and look at your qualifications second. American society is founded on image and duality, in fact such is our legacy with the "perplexing institution" that is slavery -- in a country where all men are created equal, how can slavery exist? Regardless, it's an example to get a point across.

With that said, the real world is also nothing like High School while simultaneously replicating it to some degree. It's never either one or the other and is often a mix of both, as experience will come to teach eventually. So, while High School prepares one for the bullshit of the world, in its grander design it also prepares the student for the social role, the finding of an identity, if you will. During those turbulent adolescent years we find ourselves and all that other psychobabble.

In terms of educating our youth, the secondary (and primary, for that matter) schools do a shoddy job. Not all of them, mind you, but some, if not "most" (however you want to take that). I share George Carlin's outlook to an extent on education and the system that is in place: "...and pretty soon all you'll need to get into college is a fucking pencil. You got a pencil? Get the fuck in there, it's Physics." But you know, much like with everything, the education system is something that must be re-hauled from the inside out; from its core to its surroundings. We cannot just keep fixing little leaks and ignore the overall issue, which everyone is so perfectly skilled at.

I want to teach High School. I am a year away from doing so. I believe in education and challenging the student, specifically during the adolescent years when they have almost formed their identity, are breaking out into their own, so to speak, and are a few feet short of going off to college. It all depends on who runs the classroom and the school, and how they do it. In some of the worst schools are the best teachers, and vice versa. (I also happen to think that to some degree we blow the adolescent years a little too far out of proportion, albeit there are proven differences between the ages, but it's not all bad and rebellion, like we think it is). I think that from the drama perspective, high school is the worst place in the world. :p

It all depends on what high school you go to and where, truthfully. Inner city high schools suck and are poor, while suburban high schools suck and are rich. But if you've got decent teachers, teachers who give a fuck, it doesn't matter what level you're at. The purpose of high school is to turn students into well functioning citizens of the country, and truth be told, we're failing so far, judging from our crime, prostitution, drop out, literacy and voting rates and turnouts. But hey, the times they are a-changing and we might just get better.

I think it all depends what you want to do with your life. If you want to become a plumber, carpenter, tattoo artists or whatever else involves a traineeship or aprenticeship then there's no real reason as to why you should stay in high school if you're able to get the aprenticeship, you should go for it.

If you're wanting a job which requires a univeristy degree, then it's probably best that you do stay in school, atleast in Australia that is, so you can get your University Admission Index rank to get accepted by whatever Universities you apply for.

There are lots of useless things being taught in High School I suppose and I think there should be a subject where they teach you life skills such as different kinds of car insurance, what to look for when you buy a car or renting an apartment, useful sort of stuff like that which you're going to have to use.

Now you're probably thinking, well he's so against school, why dosnt he drop out? Well, unfortnatley that is not an option in my parents eyes. But believe me, if I could I would. Dropping out isnt actually the stupidest thing to do. You have the option fromt here to get your GED and go straight to college, skipping all the high school bullshit. After you get your GED, you go to a community college of sorts for 2 years, work hard while there and transfer to a better(name wise) college. Simple as that. Just to prove how relaistic that is, my I do shows with dropped out as a junior and got his GED. From there, he went to a community college. He worked his ass off there and got into Columbia University, an Ivy League school in New York. A dropout in the Ivy League? Yes, it is possible, alls you have to do is show your true potential in college, when it really matters. I plan to take a similar route, not dropping out, but just getting by with my grades in high school, then using my true ability in college.

I think to a point that high school is needed only cause of being socialy active & that's where you meet people. I do however agree that it is a joke & that it puts way too much pressure on the kids. Back at the high school that I graduated from the sophomores & the freshmen all have to have 30 credits in order to graduate high school. 30 FUCKING Credits. That shit is insane. You won't be using most of the shit when you get out of there anyways & you can learn all that other shit off the internet. Most of the shit I know I either learned by doing myself or the internet. If you go to school in Texas the damn schools mainly stresses your ass about passing the fucking TAKS test so basically they're waisting their time stressing you about shit that don't even matter & not actually teaching you something.

School, in general is pointless in some aspects. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying scrap school, I mean, I want to become a teacher. But I mean there is so much pressure in some subjects for nothing. I had to sit through 10 years of science - I absolutely hate science and I really doubt learning how to cut open a sheep heart, or learning about evolution will help me at all at life. Science isn't even important in college now I'm here. I want to teach 3-7 year olds, everything else is pointless.

Right I totally agree that in some aspects it is pointless. Some of science can be fun like dissecting a frog, cat or in your case how to cut open a sheep's heart. Yes science can get boring but they have it cause very rarely & I do mean very rarely that a student wants to be a scientist or a science teacher that could actually teach science or just make it a fuck off like like it was during my 8th grade year.

You should get a lot more choice ni what you do. Another thing to annoy me is Religious Education - just another pointless exam to stress me out, where I learnt things I ALREADY KNEW! The exam asked me about attitudes to things such as abortion, euthanasia and sex befopre marriage, and to compare that to other religious opinions. I do that in this section all the time! R.E. was completely pointless. As was P.E. - it wasn't a structured lesson where you learnt how to be healthy. You were put in groups and told to play basketball or badminton - which I did for 2 years. I'm pretty damn sure I could have found so many more helpful things to do in all those hours.

In the high school that I went to you got to choose your classes to a point at the beginning like your required courses like you have to have a tech credit, a fine arts credit, 4 history credits, 3 math credits(it's now 4 math credits once I graduated), 4 English credits & you have to take P.E. in your freshman year & then after that you can either take it during your sophomore year, junior year of senior year. The cool thing about it is when you get to be a senior in highschool you get to get off early like the earlies you can take off without it counting against your attendence is at 12:50(Texas Time) & you can be an office aide or a teachers aide or in my situation both. Basically it is pointless to a point but the freedom you eventually get is so sweet cause you can almost do anything you want to do(except making out at everyplace at the school. Damn teachers).

It depends on what you want to do. If you want to become something like a doctor, or a lawyer, then you're not going to get very far without an education. But if its something that involves an apprenticeship, then it isn't really important. But you may as well get an education. I know in Australia you are allowed to drop out starting from year 10, i'm not sure if it's different in other countries. But you've already gone to school for 10 years or so, what's the point of dropping out? 3 years isn't that much longer, and an education helps you to get a lot of jos, and it also obviously makes you smarter. And from year 11, you get to choose what subjects to do. There's no real downside to getting an education.

What an awesome thread, man. You bring up some good points. As an adult now, I wish I hadn't taken high school so seriously. Sure, I got into a great college, but I essentially ran wild and didn't do as well as I wanted. And, although I got into a great law school (where I stayed for one year), I am pretty sure I could have gotten into one of America's best law schools if I had had a higher undergraduate GPA.

And, honestly, I don't know what to make of this. Our educational system today essentially allows you to fuck up as much as you want before you get to college (no offense to anyone here, I'm just speaking in general terms) but, if you screw up in college, there is a 99.9% chance that you are screwed when it comes to continuing your education (e.g., going to graduate school or getting a professional degree). So, if kids looked at things like you look at them, Bot Punk, they would know that it is actually better for them to sow their wild oats now, at a young age, rather than later on in college, where they can enter as more mature individuals who have already experienced the pleasures of life that are, for the most part, looked down upon (i.e., putting more of a priority on your social rather than academic life).

And, I think our current President is a perfect example of this. Obama definitely had a sweet adolescence, and I am pretty sure this is why he landed in Occidental College for his first two years. But, he did well there, transferred to Columbia University, and went on to Harvard Law School. What a lucky bastard.

Reactions: Ptd
Exactly, point is high school essentialy does not matter, if you're capable of getting your act together in college. High school is just "getting you ready" for college. You can honestly fuck up in high school as much as you want, as long as you're completley ready to get your shit together and work well in college. Seriously I'll take myself for example. I have an IEP, which is a file for kids with learning disorders, my learning disorder being ADD. When you have an IEP, you take a test to rank your intelligence, I guess somewhat of an IQ test. After taking the test I ranked well above average for kids my age in every subject with the exception of algebra. Right there, that tells me I am capable of getting good grades. But do I? No. I do what I need to do to pass, not talking A's or B's, more like C's and D's. Im fairly confident I could get staright A's, but why bother? Why stress myself out? Why deprive myself of a social life? My testing shows me I above par in most categorys, which means I shouldnt have any problem at all applying myself when I get to college, and performing up to my capability level.

High school? *tries to remember what I learned* yeah, Minus how to swear, and think, talk and act dirty, I didn't learn anything. Over here you get paid during your last year in highschool. Even that didn't make me learn anything. Highschool is useless, and it is only really used to get people used to being in the one spot for 8 hours day in day out. Just give them a job and they will be much better off.

This is coming from someone who never attended High School, and instead Graduated through gaining a G.E.D. YES, High School is that important. YES, High School is very much needed.

You know, I see some complaining about the length, but the fact is whether you can learn and retain all the information in 'x' amount of months, or over the course of your initial Freshman year.. the fact remains, High School goes over a lot of the same subjects because it keeps the information continuing to cycle through your brain. Four years of learning the same stuff, over and over, mixed in with bits and pieces of new information.. and you'd have some type of small hope as a Parent and/or Teacher, that the children you're teaching that information to, might just retain it. Might.

It never matters if you're going to use it. The point is, someone is going to use it. Because not everyone is like you, nor do they wish to aspire to become what you wish to become in life.

I was lucky enough to be a G.E.D student by being forced more or less into it. Given the opportunity, I am torn on whether I'd want to put up with four years of stupid teenagers as opposed to merely studying and Graduating through a G.E.D course. But the fact remains, High School Diploma students 9 outta 10 times, will be picked before G.E.D grads. And on top of that, you have to work even harder as a G.E.D graduate, to prove you can handle all the same tasks as a regular Diploma graduate.

So yes, High School is worth it.

Now, in a related note to Becca in reference to P.E.. it wasn't a worthless subject, it was merely worthless to you, because you didn't want to participate. I bet you were the type of person who wanted to attempt finding any reason you could, not to partake in any of the events or activities, because you merely didn't feel you could be worth a shit in them. So you'd rather not even try, and just want to sit on your butt. Or better yet, you felt to yourself.. "Well, I'm not gonna become an athlete for a career, so this is worthless to me." So you never even tried to apply yourself.

Regardless of the reason, or how much you felt playing the same dull sport over and over again for 2 years was or wasn't worth it, P.E. was a required physical fitness subject, as someone else mentioned, to keep you in shape and not let you become some over-weight slob.

I believe you already replied to the affect of "It didn't give us that much exercise" or something like that. Well, the fact is.. it would've, if you were doing it correctly. And no P.E. activity in the world should ever make you believe you're worthless. It's suppose to teach you values, such as; team-work, hand-eye coordination, motor skills, and most of all, physical fitness.

I was bad at selective P.E. activities as well as everyone else, but I never gave up. Just because I didn't want to become a Basketball player, never meant I didn't enjoy the fun I had playing it. (badly, I might add) Just because I never aspired to become a track star, doesn't mean I didn't learn breathing techniques out of jogging and running. (albeit they're forgotten, now)

The point I'm trying to make, that you're simply refusing to believe in.. is that every subject, especially the required ones, are there for a reason. You may not want to believe so, but they are.

Now, in a related note to Becca in reference to P.E.. it wasn't a worthless subject, it was merely worthless to you, because you didn't want to participate. I bet you were the type of person who wanted to attempt finding any reason you could, not to partake in any of the events or activities, because you merely didn't feel you could be worth a shit in them. So you'd rather not even try, and just want to sit on your butt. Or better yet, you felt to yourself.. "Well, I'm not gonna become an athlete for a career, so this is worthless to me." So you never even tried to apply yourself.

Hon are you kidding me? This is Becca, who spent 10 years of her life playing rugby league. Becca who loves sport. If you read, I explained that sometimes so few people participated there was no other choice to play something like badminton - and yes, after 2 years of this almost non-stop I did get bored of it and didn't want to participate. I still did, though.

Regardless of the reason, or how much you felt playing the same dull sport over and over again for 2 years was or wasn't worth it, P.E. was a required physical fitness subject, as someone else mentioned, to keep you in shape and not let you become some over-weight slob.

I really doubt that helped me in any way. It wasn't worth it, especially when I add up how much time I spent doing it and think about what I could have been doing ni that time instead. If the lessons were something a bit more structured, or helpful e.g. P.E. learning about the body and being healthy, or sports which required a lot of movement I wouldn't complin. But 2 years of the same boring sport was nothing but repetitive and made even me not want to go.

I believe you already replied to the affect of "It didn't give us that much exercise" or something like that. Well, the fact is.. it would've, if you were doing it correctly. And no P.E. activity in the world should ever make you believe you're worthless. It's suppose to teach you values, such as; team-work, hand-eye coordination, motor skills, and most of all, physical fitness.

If you're bad at P.E., yes it would make you feel worthless, I talk to girls who did what they could to get out of it because they were bad at it. You need certain skills in order to be good at P.E. and not everyone has those.

I was bad at selective P.E. activities as well as everyone else, but I never gave up. Just because I didn't want to become a Basketball player, never meant I didn't enjoy the fun I had playing it. (badly, I might add) Just because I never aspired to become a track star, doesn't mean I didn't learn breathing techniques out of jogging and running. (albeit they're forgotten, now)

I loved playing basketball. P.E. would have been a lot more fun if this was an option. But are you seriously telling me you wouldn't think playing badminton constantly would be pointless? The whole point of P.E. basically stopped when this became an issue, we stopped bothering learning all the 'skills' you say we learn in these classes, because there's only so much you can do. It's like you sitting in a maths class and simply doing the same thing for 2 years - you'd get bored and stop applying yourself. Whils you can blame me for stopping caring, I don't think I can shoulder all the responsibility for poorly planned lessons.

The point I'm trying to make, that you're simply refusing to believe in.. is that every subject, especially the required ones, are there for a reason. You may not want to believe so, but they are.

If the lessons was that important they'd make it seem so. Not allow over half the class to miss the lesson, and tell the few that have showed up to do the 'usual' without actually being taught anything new.

Hon are you kidding me? This is Becca, who spent 10 years of her life playing rugby league. Becca who loves sport. If you read, I explained that sometimes so few people participated there was no other choice to play something like badminton - and yes, after 2 years of this almost non-stop I did get bored of it and didn't want to participate. I still did, though.

First and foremost, I got annoyed with each class of Physical Education in which someone brought a note or excuse on missing. Merely because they didn't want to run, or stretch. Lazy and pathetic is no reason to blame the entire subject.

I'm not calling you either, however you did just say that the only reason your P.E. class apparently repeated the same sport over and over.. wasn't because of any other reason, than so many students being allowed to sit-out. That isn't the classes fault, that's the lack of care, or motivation, in the student body.

Blame your friends, not the course.

I really doubt that helped me in any way. It wasn't worth it, especially when I add up how much time I spent doing it and think about what I could have been doing ni that time instead. If the lessons were something a bit more structured, or helpful e.g. P.E. learning about the body and being healthy, or sports which required a lot of movement I wouldn't complin. But 2 years of the same boring sport was nothing but repetitive and made even me not want to go.

I'll chalk this up to England being weird.

In America, we have a "Health" class in which we learn about our body and how to be healthy. In P.E., it's called "Physical" Education, for a reason.

If you're bad at P.E., yes it would make you feel worthless, I talk to girls who did what they could to get out of it because they were bad at it. You need certain skills in order to be good at P.E. and not everyone has those.

:lmao: This is by far the most far-fetched thing I've ever heard. It's not fucking rocket science. Do you have arms that move? Do you have workable legs? Can you stand up-right and run when needed? Do you have the ability to follow a bouncing ball with your eyes?

Unless you're a paraplegic or quadraplegic (no offense to anyone who is) then you have all the "skills" needed.

Oh, and incase you wanna argue this some more. Didn't you just mention playing rugby league for some odd 10 yrs? Yeah.. if you can do that, then you have no reason why you'd be bad at P.E.. unless rugby league doesn't involve you to do anything other than sit on a bench, and complain about rather being in language class.

I loved playing basketball. P.E. would have been a lot more fun if this was an option. But are you seriously telling me you wouldn't think playing badminton constantly would be pointless? The whole point of P.E. basically stopped when this became an issue, we stopped bothering learning all the 'skills' you say we learn in these classes, because there's only so much you can do. It's like you sitting in a maths class and simply doing the same thing for 2 years - you'd get bored and stop applying yourself. Whils you can blame me for stopping caring, I don't think I can shoulder all the responsibility for poorly planned lessons.

So first you blamed it on your fellow students constantly sitting out and refusing to take part in the classes. Which forced the Teachers to go with the same activity over and over, which formatted and played to the ever decreasing number of students partaking in the event.

Now, you're blaming the reason the class was worthless, on the Teachers not planning more activities.

It sounds to me like you've written a mini-book on who, how and why to blame everyone, and everything around you, on why P.E. has ruined a part of your life. While it's a fairly moderate course in School.. it wasn't the end-all, be-all to the world.. certainly not enough to blame every single possible issue on why you disliked it.

If the lessons was that important they'd make it seem so. Not allow over half the class to miss the lesson, and tell the few that have showed up to do the 'usual' without actually being taught anything new.

The funny thing about this is, when a child shows up with a note signed by a Doctor, or Parent.. the Teacher can not over-ride the authority set in place because the child merely wanted to be lazy and inactive.

I guess I was just an overly excited hyper child. I loved physical activities. From the dumbest things like volleyball, and laying on a rollerboard and crawling around the gym floor, trying to awkwardly hit a ball into a net.. to the best of sports, like baseball, basketball, and even my personal favorite.. dodgeball.

What I'm mainly getting at is this.. Teacher's can not be blamed for the amount of "I can't participate" notes they receive from children. Because if the notes are valid, and all it takes is one Parent's signature.. there is nothing you can do about it.

But you want to blame the overall course subject, as if it had some part in ruining your life regarding it. When in fact, it sounds more like those (friends, etc.) around you played the biggest part in why P.E. was no fun for you.

SOOOO.. don't play off P.E. being worthless, when in fact it wasn't worthless at all. It was merely unavailable to you, it seems, due to the amount of pathetic, lazy, worthless, children in your class.

First and foremost, I got annoyed with each class of Physical Education in which someone brought a note or excuse on missing. Merely because they didn't want to run, or stretch. Lazy and pathetic is no reason to blame the entire subject.

I'm not calling you either, however you did just say that the only reason your P.E. class apparently repeated the same sport over and over.. wasn't because of any other reason, than so many students being allowed to sit-out. That isn't the classes fault, that's the lack of care, or motivation, in the student body.

Blame your friends, not the course.

The teachers gave permission for students to spend the whole of year 11 P.E. in other classrooms, be it art, or HSC, finishing work related to those subjects. It's not down to 'illness'. Therefore yes, I will blame the teachers for this.

I'll chalk this up to England being weird.

In America, we have a "Health" class in which we learn about our body and how to be healthy. In P.E., it's called "Physical" Education, for a reason.

Our P.E. classes weren't educating in that sense, and we don't have 'health'. You'd think that for a class that was so obsessed with making people healthy, they'd do something more than give you a few rackets and tell you to play a sport/

:lmao: This is by far the most far-fetched thing I've ever heard. It's not fucking rocket science. Do you have arms that move? Do you have workable legs? Can you stand up-right and run when needed? Do you have the ability to follow a bouncing ball with your eyes?

Unless you're a paraplegic or quadraplegic (no offense to anyone who is) then you have all the "skills" needed.

Oh, and incase you wanna argue this some more. Didn't you just mention playing rugby league for some odd 10 yrs? Yeah.. if you can do that, then you have no reason why you'd be bad at P.E.. unless rugby league doesn't involve you to do anything other than sit on a bench, and complain about rather being in language class.

Will, read what I said again. I didn't mention me not being able to do it - I spent most of that post saying I did participate in the lessons. What I said was "I speak to girls" who feel that way.

So first you blamed it on your fellow students constantly sitting out and refusing to take part in the classes. Which forced the Teachers to go with the same activity over and over, which formatted and played to the ever decreasing number of students partaking in the event.

Now, you're blaming the reason the class was worthless, on the Teachers not planning more activities

I explained this above.

It sounds to me like you've written a mini-book on who, how and why to blame everyone, and everything around you, on why P.E. has ruined a part of your life. While it's a fairly moderate course in School.. it wasn't the end-all, be-all to the world.. certainly not enough to blame every single possible issue on why you disliked it.

It was pointless, simple as.

The funny thing about this is, when a child shows up with a note signed by a Doctor, or Parent.. the Teacher can not over-ride the authority set in place because the child merely wanted to be lazy and inactive.

An odd illness every so often is fine, but to be excused every week to go to another class hardly shows that the lesson is important - which is my point.

I guess I was just an overly excited hyper child. I loved physical activities. From the dumbest things like volleyball, and laying on a rollerboard and crawling around the gym floor, trying to awkwardly hit a ball into a net.. to the best of sports, like baseball, basketball, and even my personal favorite.. dodgeball.

I also like doing this like this.

What I'm mainly getting at is this.. Teacher's can not be blamed for the amount of "I can't participate" notes they receive from children. Because if the notes are valid, and all it takes is one Parent's signature.. there is nothing you can do about it.

But you want to blame the overall course subject, as if it had some part in ruining your life regarding it. When in fact, it sounds more like those (friends, etc.) around you played the biggest part in why P.E. was no fun for you.

SOOOO.. don't play off P.E. being worthless, when in fact it wasn't worthless at all. It was merely unavailable to you, it seems, due to the amount of pathetic, lazy, worthless, children in your class.

:lmao: You repeat yourself so often in posts. I'm actually understanding why they're so long now.

To some aspect it's needed. A lot of the stuff you learn in high school you really do use out in the "real world." Granted by the time you graduate you end up forgetting how to do a lot of the stuff you learned while in High School. Once you go to college(if you go), you are pretty much learning a lot of things all over again, but at a much faster pace.

Now from personal experience from the High School I went to. My school is crap for the most part because all they try to focus on, is Sports. Now, I'm sorry, Sports should NOT be made out to be the main subject in school.

Don't get me wrong, my school did teach the main courses you need to I guess work in the "real world."

Math is essential, otherwise you wouldn't be able to calculate your budget, add up what you need to spend in groceries, how much you need to buy certain things and so forth.

Social Studies is good to have so you know about the history of the world, but to me, it's not extremely essential. It's only essential for the field of work you choose as your career, for example, a historian.

Science is good to have for a science career. But as for every day "real world" usage of science, I personally don't believe it's essential.

English is a definite essential for the "real world." Otherwise, how would you learn how to read or write? You have to know how to do that before you can have ANY job. In high school, yeah you learn how to interpret what a book is about and what message the author is trying to get across, which you don't really need that in every day life. English teaches good listening skills too.

So what it looks like as a whole. High School is a 50/50 essential. Most of what they teach in High School, is to help you in the type of career you choose to do. It's just ADVANCED. I don't think you could go through life only being taught what you were taught in elementary and middle school.

I'm sure there are a select few people out there that CAN go through life without high school or a ged. Mainly it's because they are very intelligent and use common sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back