• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Hey Chilean Cole Miner!

'How sad is it, really, that we are now left with arguably.... No, fuck arguably, factually.... Left with the least two talented Beatles possible? '

I'll bite, why is George>Paul?

I'd have to butt in here and say that I think Paul McCartney's music is the only music of any of the Beatle's I like.

George Harrison as a guitarist has come up with more amazing music than McCartney ever did on the bass. McCartney was a fantastic lyricist, and he did help put together some of the greatest Beatles songs, but when it comes to raw playing talent, Harrison takes the cake.

Sure, but I am not talking strictly about Paul the bassist or George the guitarist, I am talking about as a musician in general. Including playing, songwriting, performing etc.

Well I can't recall ever seeing a recording of the Beatles live, so I'm not quite sure who has the better showmanship. Paul was just involved in the writing of so many more songs than Harrison that it makes it hard to argue Harrison was more of a talented writer, but I mean, look at the songs Harrison wrote.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_George_Harrison_songs#The_Beatles

Please Please Me, Something, While My Guitar Gently Weeps... when George wrote a song he made it count. That's not to say he has a higher ratio of good songs to not good songs than Paul, but it's something to consider. And once again, as an instrumentalist and vocalist he is superior to Paul, at least in my opinion.

George didnt write Please Please Me..

When it comes to showmanship, I would say Paul trumps him, George simply played guitar when The Beatles played live, usually in the centre, playing up his quiet shy stereotype. He got much better whilst playing solo afterwards, but Paul was consistently good on stage, leading the band when John wasnt, sometimes joining in with Johns clowning while George can often be seen just standing there.

Interviews is a whole different matter, George was just as bright and charismatic as the others (barring John).

I have to disagree with you on both counts of instruments and vocals. Of course opinions of vocals are opinionated, but technically Paul dominates him and John as well for that matter. His range is superior and I find more varied, while George is fine, compare Roll Over Beethoven to Oh Darling, Paul steamrolls him with two similar songs in terms of energy. Again I like Georges voice, but I just find that Paul has so much more variety, power and technical range. Of course coming from a guy looking at doing classical voice, I cant help but look at it that way mind you.

I am more hesitant to consider instruments, sure George is the better guitarist, and could play the Sitar quite nicely. But Paul was a capable guitarist, drummer, pianist, bassist, and even ventured to other instruments that George never touched, such as the Mellotron or the Trumpet. He has proved that he is quite capable at all these instruments (though I have no idea about the trumpet), and for that sheer variety that George lacks, I would give it to Paul personally. Though I will say again, George certainly is the better of the two with a guitar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back