• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Have You Ever Been Suckered Into Buying A Bad Album?

Mitch Henessey

Deploy the cow-catcher......
Staff member
So I was browsing through a box of CDs I have today, and I couldn't believe some of the shit I used to buy. I have a nice collection of good and great albums, but I also have purchased some shit in my life. This album being one of them:

Curtis_%2850_Cent_album%29.jpg

Yes, I was stupid enough to get caught up in the whole Kanye VS 50 hype, and despite everyone telling me not to buy this album, I went ahead and did it anyway. For some reason I liked the "I Get Money"song(I guess it would be because of the beat), and the "Ayo Technology" song he had with Justin Timberlake was pretty good, but other than that, I hated the entire CD.

Another one would be this one:

Harlem%27s_American_Gangster.jpg

A friend I used to have kept saying I just NEEDED to get this album because it was so good.Of course he would later tell me he's a huge fan of Jim Jones,and anything The Dipset did. This was a mixtape turned album, and it was horrible. From bad songs, to Jim Jones and Damon Dash's pitiful attempts to call out Jay-Z, this album was just bad from beginning to end.

What I want to know is, have you ever been suckered into buying a bad album? Whether it be because you heard the artist on 106 And Park(a show I stopped watching a long time ago) or TRL(back when it was around) or on the radio hyping their album like it's the greatest thing in the world. Or was it because you heard local radio stations promoting the hell out the album? This is something that happens a lot down here in South Florida with DJ Khaled.Or Was it through word of mouth?

Also, it can be any type of music or any type of album.What are your thoughts?

I bought John Cena's debut album in 2005 amid all the hype and whatnot. All the hype suckered me into buying it and I wasn't very impressed. While the album did have some good beats, I couldn't stand many of the songs. Many of them were also repetitive... Trademarc (Cena's cousin) said the phrase "it's gon' be what it's gon' be" quite a few times throughout the album. While the album wasn't horrible, it sure as hell wasn't as great as WWE was hyping it to be in 2005. I sure got suckered.

Its strange but I was looking down through my album collection and I find it pretty hard to find an album that I would classify as bad. Thats not to say I don't have some albums that people would think are terrible in my collection but thanks to the death of a laptop 2 years ago I lost a large number of random albums that I didn't really listen to. I do remember thinking that CSS, Interpol, and Yelle might have been a bit of a mistake the first time I listened to them but I quickly grew to love them :)

However I do have an answer for this question. The worst album that I currently own has to be Just enough education to preform by the Sterophonics. I bought this 8/9 years ago and it hasn't improved with age. In my opinion there is only one good song on it- Mr Writer, a song I still enjoy to this day- but I could easily do without the other 11 songs. I blame BBC Radio 1 who hyped this album fairly considerably with constant compitions, interviews and plays. Based on the hits I thought it might be good- one or two listens later and I was sadly re-educated. Thankfully the other CD I bought that year for the singles- Origin of Symmetry was a lot more fruitfull :)

Im the same as Nitafrong, I am quite please with 99.9% of my music purchases. That can also be atrributed to the fact that im a collector so once I get hooked on a band, I go out and purchase thier entire discography.

There is an absolutely fantastic independent metal record store here in Vancouver called Scrape Records and since im in there almost every saturday the owner has a great feel for what I like and what I do not. But one time, he recommended me an album called "Requiem Fortissimo in C Minor" by a band called Virgin Black. I knew a bit of what Virgin Black was about and have heard previuos albums so I thought it would be alright, especially since the owner claimed it was "heavier and darker" which is great when it comes to metal albums. Well, what he forgot to mention was that the entire album (albeit quite heavy) was also Drone Doom and was slower than an obese elephant. I still cant stand it, even to this day.

I have my far share, but almost all of it was bought when I was like 13 so it can be attributed to my youthful stupidity and my (then) lack of exposure to anything but radio-friendly rock. Creed, Theory of a Deadman, Three Doors Down, some crap like that. Generic sounding mainstream hard rock. I also have Cena's CD, btu I had low expectations going in. I am by no means a big rap fan, I just bought it on the cheap for the novelty when I stumbled upon it at Futureshop last year.

Yes, I was stupid enough to get caught up in the whole Kanye VS 50 hype, and despite everyone telling me not to buy this album, I went ahead and did it anyway. For some reason I liked the "I Get Money"song(I guess it would be because of the beat), and the "Ayo Technology" song he had with Justin Timberlake was pretty good, but other than that, I hated the entire CD.

Really? I really liked that cd. However, 50 Cent is my favorite rapper so I like most of his songs. "Ayo Technology" was definitely the best song on that cd. I ended up getting Kanye's cd that came out the same day too.... and I still like both of those two cd's.

I see some people in here mentioned Cena's cd. I can understand why some wouldn't like it. I did. I'm a Cena mark though. The fact that my favorite wrestler had made his own cd was enough for me to buy it, I don't listen to it much anymore but still think most of the beats are good.

Now, for my answer to the thread's question. Death Magnetic by Metallica. I liked all their old stuff.... "Kill em All", "Master of Puppets", "and Justice For All", The Black Album, and of course my personal favorite of theirs.... "RIDE THE LIGHTNING!" However I didn't like the newer stuff nearly as much (Load and Re-Load weren't anywhere near the old stuff, and St Anger was terrible) so I decided at first to skip Death Magnetic. My roommate from the semester before that had emailed me saying I had to get Death Magnetic because it was just as awesome as the old stuff and how awesome he thought it was, he's a huge fanboy of Metallica so I believed in his hype and bought the cd. I was rather disappointed with it because it wasn't anywhere close to how great my former roomie had hyped it up to be, so I ended up selling it back after a week or so of giving it multiple chances but never really liking it.

Curtis_%2850_Cent_album%29.jpg

First thing that came to mind was this garbage that i bought, the last album i ever bought was this. Utter crap, he lost atleast 50 percent of his fanbase with this and rightly so. He stepped his music up a little bit since then but it was to late. How you can go from get rich or die tryin to curtis in 4 years still confuses me. Christ

Yes. My undying love for Bob Dylan has suckered me into buying many a bad album. Down in the Groove would be the most obvious example and is often debated upon being one of his all-time worst. Truthfully, I don't think Down in the Groove is as bad as many make it out to be, but it certainly isn't good. Using Dylan is kind of a cop-out example I guess, because even at his worst you could probably take something away from his work, but that still doesn't help me from feeling disappointed when I get my hands on a Dylan album and it just doesn't do much for me.

kanye_808s_cover.jpg

I really hated this album. People kept saying "Oh man, this shit is so sweet!" "Kanye kills it bro! Check this CD out." Unfortunately, I did. I liked Kanye West before this album, I really did. I do believe this is the reason I dislike him now. I didn't find it at all as creative as everyone made it out to be and most of the songs were overplayed, and mediocre at best.

hollywoodundeadswansongs.jpg

I have no clue what the hell was going on when I bought this. I was hooked on the song "Undead" and figured the whole album must be sweet. Sigh, the album sucked. The song got boring and I threw the CD down somewhere. I found the case a week ago. Shame.

It wasn't so much I bought a bad album, my friend was asking what to get me for my birthday and I said Elliot Minor because the singles they had released were pretty good

Elliot-Minor-Elliot-Minor-432231.jpg

It wasn't bad it was just the songs were prettty much indistinguashable from each other, it just sounded the same thorughout to me

so-far-gone-front-cover.jpg

I can't stand this mixtape. I had a couple of really good friends of mine telling me that Drake was the shit and they also told me to pick up this CD because Drake 'brings it'. Well sadly, I did pick it up and well after listening to the entire CD, I knew that my friends were completely wrong as not only was the CD underwhelming, but Drake as an artist is not the shit. Actually he's below average to be completely and totally honest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back