Great Album Openers/Closers

The Jabroni

Dark Match Winner
Some songs belong at the beginning or end of the albums they're on. The best openers and closers are songs that set themselves apart from the other album tracks. They are a special breed of song. Good album openers tend to set the tone of the album and, in some cases, state the theme of the album. Good album closers tend to leave the listener stunned or wanting more. They provide a strong finish for an album. Openers and closers can make or break a tracklist.

So my question is this; What makes a great album opener or closer?

Provide examples of your favorites and explain why they're your favorites. Do they fit into the album as a part, or as an overview of the whole? Do they differ in tone or instrumentation when compared to the rest of the album? If so, how does that effect the song's importance to the album? Why does the song belong where it is on the album? Does it help the listener understand some sort of bigger picture?

In short, why was this song put where it is and what is its role?

One band that has starting an album down to a science is Bright Eyes. Most of their (his) albums follow a key idea. He starts his albums by stating the key ideas, usually through a sort of abstract song. Examples of this include "Time Code," "At the Bottom of Everything" and "Clairaudients (Kill or Be Killed)" In "Time Code," he summarizes the ideas of death, self-destruction, technology, God and rebirth. These concept tend to interweave throughout the rest of the album. The spacey, electronic sound also recurs throughout the album. "At the Bottom of Everything" summarizes the ideas of happiness in death and individualism that are so prevalent in the album. "Clairaudients" sets not only the theme of the supernatural, but also the quest for meaning in a world where everything's been done and everything's failed, a world where nothing seems to have a point.

One of the greatest album closers of all time is the Beatles' "Tomorrow Never Knows" off Revolver. This track is legendary because of its innovation. There hadn't been a song like it prior to its creation. Its placement on the album is key in its importance. It was placed at the end because it couldn't've been placed anywhere else. It was impossible to follow, so it was followed by silence. Listeners were left stunned and questioning what they had just heard. Another great set of closers is "Soco Amaretto Lime" and "Play Crack the Sky" by Brand New. They close their respective albums by offering soft acoustic simplicity and canon-like vocal parts to soothe the listener after high-energy and occasionally complex alternative rock.

What are some songs that you believe to be great album openers/closers? Why?

2 great album openers I can think of are

Rock n Roll Star by Oasis,from the album Definitely Maybe

and

I Wanna Be Adored by The Stone Roses from their self titled album

Now, both of these songs were the opening tracks on the DEBUT album from both of these bands, and quite simply set the tone for what both bands were all about, as well as being phenomenal tracks in their own right. Both tracks just let you know the goals and attitude of Oasis and The Roses

[YOUTUBE]rBZ1HTkGF4s[/YOUTUBE]

No messing around, straight into the signiture guitar sound that Oasis became famous for, the down and dirty wall of sound that defined and era and a big reason why Oasis are probably the most influential band of the last 15 years in England. Liam Gallagher with his sneering vocals and the simply statement "Tonight....I am a rock n roll star!!

From a working class background in Manchester, this is one bands defiant statement that they WILL become stars.

Secondly...

[YOUTUBE]suwIhdHfHFA[/YOUTUBE]

For a band to produce such a mesmirising track as the opening song on their debut album is an incredible feat. You can just hear the confidence oozing from Ian Brown through his vocals. His goal is clear... "I wanna be adored...you adore me!"

This is a guy who, before his band had even released a record, that his band were the best in the world.

"People say that U2 are the best band in the world..but we are better than them..so we must be the best band in the world"

The Stone Roses and Definitely Maybe are always right at the top of polls when it comes to deciding the greatest albums of all time....and rightly so. Both are works of genius, with 2 of the greatest opening tracks of all time

I would say that the great opener and closer is made by the same band, Ill mention it first.

If I was your vampire:Song 1 of Eat me Drink me by Marilyn Manson
[youtube]PeT8zcpaKzs[/youtube]
This song is so powerful and one of mansons Best through his entire career.

The best closer is from Holywood.Count to 6 and die by Marilyn Manson
[youtube]PHX_wPvv_lU[/youtube]

The best closer to an album in my mind is the Medley on Abbey Road from The Beatles. It's eight songs that fluidly move into one another while never truly letting the music fade out climaxing with "The End". Ringo gets his only drum solo of The Beatles career followed by Harrison, Lennon, and McCartney trading solo's before Paul's, arguably, most famous lyrics, "And in the end, the love you take, is equal to the love, you make." Admittedly this is not the real closer as their is a "hidden" track, "Her Majesty", but that's really just 15 seconds of nothingness.

The Abbey Road Medley is a great choice. But I think "Her Majesty" is one of the most important parts to the Medley. "The End" is so climactic that it leaves the listener with more interest in the album than at any other point. If the album ended after "The End," that interest would be wasted. But, after the dust settles, a booming D-major tells the listener that the album's not over and sparks even more interest for the under-20-second acoustic folk song. It's the perfect way to end such an exciting medley, with simplicity. And the fact that the song cuts off and never resolves leaves the listener wanting even more, but at that point, the only thing one could do is restart the album.

That's true, I guess I never thought of it that way. I just thought of it as another Paul ditty that really is on the record just because it was around. But for some reason, the way you describe it sounds right to me. I do love the way it starts with that crashing chord coming down and then Paul just picking an acoustic guitar to some throwaway lyrics about, what else coming from Paul, love. I really want to go listen to this record now.

I agree that good openers should set the tone of the album. Two examples would be Smashing Pumpkins' Tonight, Tonight off their Mellon Collie album and Straight Outta Compton off the NWA album. You can't get two more different artists, but both songs serve the same purpose. Tonight Tonight is just a perfect way to begin the epic journey of the SP album. And Straight Outta Compton is just genius, throws you right into the violence and brutality of that album.

My favourite closer is harder to call. Gotta go with Jimmy Eat World - Goodbye Sky Harbour off their Clarity album though. The whole album flows perfectly, then ends with over 16 minutes of chilled out bliss. Reminds me why JEW will always be one of my favourites.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back