• Metallica (Black Album)

• Load

• ReLoad

• Garage Inc.

• St. Anger

Results are only viewable after voting.

justinsayne

Cody Rhodes is an excellant
Ok I tried this once already with Green Day, and it seems to have failed miserably, seeing as how that thread only got one lousy post, but what the hell I'll try this idea out on more time, this time with perhaps the biggest metal band in history, Metallica. Basically what do you think is Metallica's best album and why?

Kill 'Em All

In 1983, Metallica traveled to Rochester, New York to record its first album, Metal Up Your Ass, with production duties handled by Paul Curcio. Due to conflicts with the band's record label and the distributors' refusal to release an album with that name, it was renamed Kill 'Em All. Released on Megaforce Records in the U.S. and Music for Nations in Europe, the album peaked on the Billboard 200 at number 120, and although the album was not initially a financial success, it earned Metallica a growing fan base in the underground metal scene.

Ride The Lightning

Metallica recorded its second studio album, Ride the Lightning, at Sweet Silence Studios in Copenhagen, Denmark. Released in August 1984, the album peaked at number 100 on the Billboard 200. A French printing press mistakenly printed green covers for the album, which are now considered collectors' items. Other songs on the album include "For Whom the Bell Tolls", "Creeping Death" (which tells the biblical story of the Hebrews' exodus from slavery in Egypt, focusing on the various plages that were visited on the Egypitans), and the instrumental "The Call of Ktulu". Mustaine received a writing credit for "Ride the Lightning" and "The Call of Ktulu".

Master Of Puppets

Metallica's third studio album, Master of Puppets was recorded at Sweet Silence Studios and was released in March 1986. The album peaked at number 29 on the Billboard 200, and spent 72 weeks on the chart. The album was the band's first to be certified gold on November 4, 1986, and was certified six times platinum in 2003. Some critics, including Steve Huey of All Music Guide, consider the album to be the "greatest heavy metal album of all time", and earned Metallica the title of the "pioneers of thrash metal".

...And Justice For All

..And Justice for All, the group's first studio album since Burton's death, was released in 1988. The album was a commercial success, peaking at number six on the Billboard 200, the band's first album to enter the top 10. The album was certified platinum nine weeks after its release. Newsted's bass was purposely turned down on the album as a part of the continuous "hazing" he received, and his musical ideas were ignored. There were complaints with the production; namely, Steve Huey of All Music Guide noted Ulrich's drums were clicking more than thudding, and the guitars "buzz thinly". The Damaged Justice tour followed to promote the album.

In 1989, Metallica received its first Grammy Award nomination for ...And Justice for All, in the new Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance Vocal or Instrument category.

Metallica

Metallica (also known as "The Black Album") was remixed three times, cost $1 million, and ended three marriages. Although the release was stalled until 1991, Metallica peaked at number one on the Billboard 200 with shipments exceeding 650,000 units in its first week. The album was responsible for bringing Metallica to the attention of the mainstream and has been certified 15 times platinum in the U.S., which makes it the 25th highest-selling album in the country.

Load

The band spent roughly one year writing and recording new songs, resulting in the release of Load in 1996, which entered the Billboard 200 and ARIA Charts at number one, marking the band's second number one. The cover of Load was created by Andres Serrano, and was called Blood and Semen III. Serrano pressed a mixture of his own semen and bovine blood between sheets of plexiglass, but not all fans were happy with the cover. The release marked a change in musical direction for the band as some critics and fans accused Metallica of "going alternative", and "selling out". The band members received haircuts, and headlined the alternative rock festival Lollapalooza, which lead to further accusations.

During early production of the album, the band had produced enough material for a double album. It was decided that half of the songs were to be released, and the band would continue to work on the remaining songs and release them the following year.

ReLoad

The cover was created by Serrano, this time using a mixture of blood and urine. ReLoad peaked at number one on the Billboard 200, and number two on the Top Canadian Album chart. Hetfield noted in the 2004 documentary film Some Kind of Monster that the songs on these albums were initially thought by the band to be of average quality, and were "polished and reworked" until judged to be releasable. To promote ReLoad, Metallica performed on NBC's Saturday Night Live in December 1997, performing "Fuel" and "The Memory Remains" with Marianne Faithfull

Garage Inc.

In 1998, Metallica compiled a double album of cover songs titled Garage Inc.. The first disc contained newly recorded covers by bands such as Diamond Head, Killing Joke, The Misfits, Thin Lizzy, Mercyful Fate, and Black Sabbath. The second disc featured the original The $5.98 E.P.: Garage Days Re-Revisited, which had become a scarce collectors' item. The album entered the Billboard 200 at number two.

St. Anger

In June 2003, Metallica's eighth studio album, St. Anger, debuted at number one on the Billboard 200. St. Anger drew criticism from fans and critics, although some praised the aggression of the album. Ulrich's "steely" sounding snare drum, and the absence of guitar solos received particular criticism. Kevin Forest Moreau of Shakingthrough.net commented that "the guitars stumble in a monotone of mid-level, processed rattle; the drums don't propel as much as struggle to disguise an all-too-turgid pace; and the rage is both unfocused and leavened with too much narcissistic navel-gazing", and Brent DiCrescenzo of Pitchfork Media described it as "an utter mess". However, Blender magazine called it the "grimiest and grimmest of the band's Bob Rock productions", and New York Magazine called it "utterly raw and rocking". The title track, "St. Anger", won the Grammy Award for Best Metal Performance in 2004, and was used as the official theme song for WWE's SummerSlam 2003.

Ok, Metallica has had many great albums but IMO it really just comes down to two albums, Ride The Lightening & Master Of Puppets, both are fucking fantastic, and it's hard to choose which is the better album but I've always liked Puppets just a bit more, so IMO Puppets would have to be their best album, with great songs like Battery, Master Of Puppets, Leper Messiah, Welcome Home (Sanitarium), and Orion, you really can't go wrong

Ride the Lightning is my favorite, because not only was defining moment for the thrash metal genre, but it solidified Metallica as one of the hardest, fastest, and most brutal bands in existence at the time. Plus it gave us such legendary ballots such as Creeping Death and For Whom the Bell Tolls (two of my personal favorite Metallica songs)

I'm Going with Ride the Lightning. It really is the epitome of what Metallica is all about. For Whom the Bell Tolls and The Call of Ktulu are some of the best songs I've ever heard. Although I really prefer Kill Em' All to Ride the Lightning. I just cant vote against the awesomeness of Ride the Lightning

I too have to go with Ride The Lightning. It has the strongest playlist of any of the albums. Ride The Lightning itself is a classic, followed up by For Whom The Bell Tolls and Fade To Black. Also Creeping Death is obviously one of their great classics, and The Call of Ktulu is my favorite of all their instrumentals. While Master Of Puppets is their breakthrough album, Ride The Lightning solidified them as an incredibly talented band that would stand the test of time.

Honestly, this changes for me all the time. Metallica is my favorite band and I always fall in love with different songs all over again. I would have to say that right now (as in today- this may change tomorrow) The Black Album is my favorite. For the longest time I would have agreed with all the previous posts for Ride the Lightning. I think that the Black Album takes everything they accomplished on the previous 4 albums and they add some new twists. That album almost single handedly brought metal to the mainstream. And yes kids, The Black Album was indeed a metal album.

I believe that MOP is better, but not by much, MOP has (IMO) Metallica's top 2 songs, (Enter Sandman and Master of Puppets) which is the only reason i picked MOP over Lightning, i love both of the albums, and a close third to me is AJFA, b/c One is the greatest Metallica song written IMO. This was a great idea Justin, keep it up.

I believe that MOP is better, but not by much, MOP has (IMO) Metallica's top 2 songs, (Enter Sandman and Master of Puppets) which is the only reason i picked MOP over Lightning, i love both of the albums, and a close third to me is AJFA, b/c One is the greatest Metallica song written IMO. This was a great idea Justin, keep it up.

Enter Sandman is off of the black album, ...And Justice For All would have been much better had they not turned down the bass on the album, pretty much all of their albums are good, hell St. Anger would be decent if it weren't for the piss poor drum work, I realize they were trying to do something different, but those drums sounded like utter shit, and where the only major problem with the album IMO, I've heard live version of the songs and they aren't nearly as bad live, I was happy to hear that they decided to go with someone else to produce there next album instead of Bob Rock, hopefully Rick Rubin pushes them to do something different, supposedly the next album is suppose to have some "Middle Eastern" influences, which sounds like it could be interesting, IMO it will either sound good, or be a complete pile of shit

As for the thread idea, I have no problem with other people using it, like with my "pick your poison" thread idea

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back