What album are you listening to?

Hollywood Naitch

The current reigning and defending
Basically, this is going to be the same as the "What song are you currently listening to?" thread, but instead of any individual song, I want to know what album you are currently playing, be it on your itunes, on your CD player or in your car.

I want to know:

Why you like the album, which are your favourite songs, which ones you do not like, and if you want to you can rate the album out of 10.

I will go first:

I am currently listening to Silverchiar- Frogstomp

Silverchair are an Australian grunge band who have just recently broken up :( This was their first album, released in 1995 when incredibly several members of the band were just 15 years old. It went straight to number 1 in their native country and went to number 9 on the US Billboard charts.

The heavy, crunching riffs were similar to the Seattle style and I really like many of the tracks on the album, with lead single "Pure Massacre being my favourite.

[YOUTUBE]jUtygnDv1Rk[/YOUTUBE]

That has quickly become one of my favourite tracks, the riff is absolutely brilliant, and is definitely the stand out song on the album. However, while almost every song on the CD is good and listenable, it can become a bit samey after a while, with not too much variation. I do like the instrumental "Madman and the 1st song "Israels Son" alot too.

I got into Silverchair after hearing "Anthem For The Year 2000", and bought the "Neon Ballroom" album, but didnt really like it for years, until it suddenly clicked with me after yet another listen. I then picked up "Freak Show" and was impressed and then eventually went back and got their debut. I certainly prefer their angrier grunge style to the more experimental style they switched to later on.

I would rate this album 7/10. Some very good tracks, no particularly poor ones, but apart from "Pure Massacre", no classics. They all sound pretty similar. I am just amazed that these guys were so young, and to produce such a professional sounding album with such great lyrics at that age is just incredible.

frogstomp-silverchair-minidisc-cover-art.jpg

Nice thread! I posted a review of the album I'm currently listening to in the Album and Concert Review Thread so I hope it's ok to re-post it here.

I've been waiting for this guy's new album to appear at around the same time a bunch of my friends were getting their knickers in a twist over Bon Iver's new release. While I don't mind some Bon Iver stuff, this guy is incredibly under-rated here in Britain which in some ways is good. I mean that in the sense of due to him not getting any sort of plays on the radio, there is less chance of people simply jumping on the bandwagon and the fans he does have here are quite passionate about his work.

Who? Dallas Green a.k.a City & Colour

Alexisonfire fans will know the name as he is the lead guitarist and co-vocalist for AOF, but his solo material is the antithesis and has a more folky charm to it rather than the ferociousness of some AOF stuff. He has done alternative versions of 'Boiled Frogs' and 'Happiness By The Kilowatt' as City & Colour for those interested.

CityAndColour-LittleHell-2011.jpg

Track Listing -

1. "We Found Each Other in the Dark" 4:22
2. "Natural Disaster" 3:50
3. "The Grand Optimist" 4:05
4. "Little Hell" 4:43
5. "Fragile Bird" 4:17
6. "Northern Wind" 4:16
7. "O' Sister" 4:16
8. "Weightless" 3:32
9. "Sorrowing Man" 4:32
10. "Silver and Gold" 4:40
11. "Hope for Now" 4:57

The theme of the album centres on relationships, specifically his worries and hopes for his family members as well as some songs to his wife. What comes across in this album more than his previous 2 efforts is his own sense of over-thinking said relationships. This comes across explicitly in 'The Grand Optimist', 'Little Hell', 'Silver and Gold' and 'Hope For Now'. Such honesty about his insecurities and worries is one of the things that drew me to him in the first place as it is a mindset I can associate with.

As great a song-writer as he is, the one drawback to his style is that he is very meloncholy which is perhaps a reason he has not garnered more fame for himself when one considers the success of a Lady Gaga or Katy Perry who are the polar opposite for the most part. However I personally feel it is a lot braver for a song-writer to be as honest as Dallas is. 'O Sister' is the saddest song on the album as it deals with his sisters mental health problems and him remembering how different she used to be. When I first heard a live performance of this song on YouTube I must admit I was a wreck afterwards as my oldest sister was going through a divorce which had sunk her into depression, but I'm happy to say she has now turned the corner and is getting back to her old self.

Overall, I'd give the album a 7.5/10 as although he has expanded his range and now includes a backing band on all the tracks instead of just him, his guitar and occasional harmonica for some songs on his past 2 albums, ('Sometimes' and 'Bring Me Your Love') it is not as large a step forward as Bring Me Your Love was from Sometimes, but Bring Me Your Love is just a phenomenal album.

I had been waiting for this album for months, and even briefly forgot about its release due to being bogged down in Uni work up until May, but it was definitely worth the wait.

Right now, I'd have to go with Royce Da 5'9"'s and Eminem's Bad Meets Evil project. Hell: The Sequel.

Lyrically, a great album. The concepts aren't really top notch, but the lyricism definitely makes up for it. Favorite tracks would have to be.....

Fast Lane:
http://youtu.be/-UtPxk_OuUI

Welcome 2 Hell:
http://youtu.be/tfTY1vPOlPU

I'm On Everything:
http://youtu.be/8_lL9F4wiOQ

Once again, the concepts and topics aren't anything groundbreaking. However, the production is great and the lyrics keep you interested if those are some of the things that keep you interested in rap.

"Tell Lady Gaga she can quit her job at the post office, she's still a male lady." - Eminem

"To the point you don't suck my dick, then you're gonna get decapitated//
Other words, you don't fuckin' give me head, then I'm have to take it." - Eminem

"Y'all n----- intellect mad slow, y'all f--- know//
Claimin' you bangin' -- You flamin', bet you could light your own cigarette with ya asshole." - Royce Da 5'9"

"Cash rules everything, acid tab, hash, 'shrooms//
I done woke up with a fucking tiger in my bathroom." Royce Da 5'9".

Once again, nothing too deep or introspective here. But, entertaining, nonetheless.

220px-Escape_The_Fate_Cover.jpg

Escape The Fate by Escape The Fate (Self titled)

Brief Summary of the band :
Escape The Fate is a post-hardcore band (With notable glam metal influence at times) from Las Vegas. They started out with a singer who is , according to some possibly the second coming of Jesus (Ronnie Radke) with whom they released their debut album with , but that guy got thrown in prison for something he didn't do and they had to move on to this other singer whos on everything after that. The old singer is now free and has formed a new band called "Falling In Reverse" that is soon to release its debut album.

Why I like the album? Because everything Escape The Fate has ever written is instantly memorable and gets stuck in my head quickly and easily , every song on every album. More notably they sound very original on this album , I don't know of any other bands that sound exactly like them and thats a great thing. They are unique!

My favorite songs on it : (All of it really but if I had to pick just some to try to represent the variety, done below in a spoiler)

(1st one is my actual favorite and a good blending of all their various variety , The 2nd is a more straightfoward catchy song with hints of their glam metal influences , The 3rd is more to their metal ish side , 4th song definately highlights their originality , 5th is all goth sounding , 6th is a ballad) They are basically all over the place (Yeah I got carried away and posted half the album lol)

[youtube]fI4-4exUTSQ[/youtube][youtube]VZ2MEHHfHgg[/youtube]
[youtube]nZTEHwJYdV0[/youtube][youtube]3YgHcPSUGFA[/youtube]< 1:20 is real start
[youtube]hycd14Nl0mY[/youtube][youtube]aIvMCzCGWLs[/youtube]
So yeah they are very varied in style and sound , no 2 songs on their albums ever really sound alike. They are unique like I said :)

Least favorite song on it is probably "Zombie Dance" which is still a totally decent song imo

I'd rate the album a 9/10

Listening right now to Grip It! On That Other Level by Geto Boys from 1989. Had it not been for the superior remixed version which is self-titled, I would have called it the prefect album. Every single song is a classic to me and I know every lyric to every song. I will easily rate it 5/5 without hesitation and my favorite song has to be "Scarface". This is the song that started rap music that talks about dealing with cocaine and the typical Scarface style themes.

Argh! Curse you Naitch,I had this idea for this thread in my head for awhile but had already thought somebody had done it but was just too lazy to go look.

seether-holding-onto-strings-better-left-to-fray-promo-album-pic.jpg

Seether-Holding onto Strings Better Left To Fray

1. "Fur Cue"-3:47
2. "No Resolution"-3:08
3. "Here and Now"-3:55
4. "Country Song"-3:49
5. "Master of Disaster"-4:18
6. "Tonight"-3:44
7. "Pass Slowly"-3:27
8. "Fade Out"-3:54
9. "Roses"-4:17
10. "Down"-3:57
11. "Desire for Need"-3:33
12. "Forsaken"-4:19
13. "Dead Seeds"-4:03
14. "Yeah"-4:28
15. "Nobody"-3:07
16. "Effigy"-3:35

I've always enjoy Seether's music since I first picked up Disclaimer II. I was appealed by their Raw edginess,Shauns powerful grungy vocals and the album is still one of my favorites to this day. They Followed up with Karma and Effect which continued their raw heavy nature. Finding Beauty in Negative Spaces was a change for the band,a change some couldn't handle. Shaun had become sober and his lyrics reflected that,found Christ,lost his brother and had a change in the line up in the band. It was a nice attempt but just couldn't hold a candle to their previous work.

Their new album continues the change in the band but I think it manages to capture elements of all their previous releases. It can be heavy,it can be softer and it at time can have more melody. Its a solid release with quite a bit of memorable songs."Country Song" in particular is a change for the band as far as sound goes. They tried something new and have made a hit because it of. Shaun mentioned in an interview that far to often a lot of bands out their sound way to similar and part of being successful is being able to stand out and set yourself apart from all the other generic bands out their. That was one of the main reasons why Country Song was the first single.

All in all its a fun album that I've been listening to since it was released last month. I know other fans of the band aren't completely satisfied with it, I know I am. Their problem is they already have a clear expectation for the band. They already know that they want to hear and when its not what they wanted then they completely shit all over it because its not the music they wanted to hear. I, on the other hand find its easier to not build up huge expectations for an album,its easier to digest that way. You get what you get and when you go into it with high standards then you're only setting yourself up for a possible disappointment. Go in it without expecting anything and you might be surprised.

BatOutOfHell.jpg

I recently got into Meatloaf when I was actually creating my list for the "Make a compilation album on a specific theme" thread here in this forum. I was doing one on "Heaven". After I had included all the songs I wanted I searched for some and "Heaven Can Wait" was one that I found. It was off Meatloaf's "Bat out of Hell" album. Also tying into another thread here ("Downloading music") I downloaded the album and listened to it. Liking almost every song on the album I ordered it on vinyl and it should be here in a few days. I'm pretty excited. I also bought "Paradise by the Dashboard Lights" (the biggest single off the album) for Rock Band and it quickly became one of my favorites to play.

His songs are filled with comedy and at the same time they are full of what it feels like to be a teenager. I mean "Paradise" is an 8 1/2 minute account of trying to get into a girls pants without giving her any type of commitment. And after finally telling her he'll lover her till the end of time and having sex with her he actually does stay with her only now he's "praying for the end of time". And "Bat out of Hell" is all about just feeling out of control and wanting to destroy some shit. And there's also the sentimental stuff: "Two out of Three Ain't Bad". The lyrics proclaim: "I want you, I need you, but there ain't no way that I'm ever gonna love you. Don't feel bad (don't feel bad), 'cause two out of three ain't bad". That's about every teenager's feelings of lust.

Enough rambling though, I think I've made my point.

Well I was looking for a new album to listen to and I finally broke down and gave Kanye a chance with his album,

kanye-west-my-beautiful-dark-twisted-fantasy-2.jpg

And Jesus fucking Christ, the man backs up everything he says. As soon as "Dark Fantasy" came on I was hooked and didn't press pause until I had listened to the entire album twice.

Favorites off the album are Power, All of The Lights, and my overall favorite, Runaway. I didn't like Monster at first but it really grew on me as I listened to it more.

I know everyone has already praised this album when it came out, but just to cement that point, one of the greatest albums, I have ever listened to.

From the beats to the lyrics, an amazing album.

Wasting light by the Foo Fighters

This album definitely is the best album to be released during the 21st century. From the hard rock anthems like 'Bridge burning', the screamo-metal 'White Limo', to the power ballads like 'A matter of time', the whole album has me hooked on everyone of Dave Grohl's words like a child listening to their favourite bed-time story. A great album with not a single bad song on it.
My personal favourites are: 'Bridge burning', 'Dear Rosemary', 'Walk' and 'White Limo'.

Wasting light by the Foo Fighters

This album definitely is the best album to be released during the 21st century. From the hard rock anthems like 'Bridge burning', the screamo-metal 'White Limo', to the power ballads like 'A matter of time', the whole album has me hooked on everyone of Dave Grohl's words like a child listening to their favourite bed-time story. A great album with not a single bad song on it.
My personal favourites are: 'Bridge burning', 'Dear Rosemary', 'Walk' and 'White Limo'.

I couldn't agree with you more. I got the album the week it came out and it didn't come out of my stereo for about a month. The whole album is great. Grohl said that when writing the songs he would write the verse and chorus, then he would try to write an even bigger hook-ier chorus to follow that making for an album full of riff after riff. Plus not only did they release a kick ass album but they cut up the master recording of it and stuffed pieces into the first however many hundred thousand copies (I got one) proving again that Dave Grohl is probably the coolest rock star out there seeing as it was his idea.

The collaboration between the Foos and Krist Novoselic also made this album special seeing as it was the first time since 2002 when he did some backing vocals on a track from One by One. It was on the track "I Should Have Known" which actually isn't about Kurt (It's about a friend of Grohl's that died from an OD) but it rings true for him. When they were done with the recording Krist reportedly broke down crying and Grohl gave him a hug (another reason he is so kick ass). The bass at the end of that song (What Krist played) is thunderous.

"Arlandria", "Dear Rosemary" and "I Should Have Known" are my favorites.

Also I forgot about the re-joining of Pat Smear as guitarist. Yet another reason this album turned out as great as it did.

FOZZY_ATR.JPG

FOZZY- ALL THAT REMAINS

I saw Fozzy live in concert this past Thursday in Manchester, and had picked up this album in preparation for this gig. Clearly, I bought tickets mainly to see Y2J up close, but I had heard a few Fozzy tracks and thought they were pretty good.

I was unsure as to which album to get, but I chose this one due to my favourite track "Enemy" being on there, and I really love that song.

Fozzy were ok live, Jericho doesnt have the best voice, but the guy is a naural entertainer and he really got the crowd involved. It was weird hearing him swearing though! They had the speakers turned up a bit too loud so his voice was not as clear as it should be but it was an enjoyable gig overall.

Now, on to the album....

It is a varied collection of tracks, ranging from the radio-friendly rock style "Enemy" to the more thrash sounding tracks, to the slower power-ballad style of the title track, and there are even a couple of rap-metal style tracks, with Bonecrusher as a guest vocallist who deals with the raps.

You can see that they arent the best musicians in the world, some of the music is not as good as you would find in most bands, and at this point (2005) they seemed unsure as to where they wanted to go as a band, the mixture of styles seems pretty weird to me and stops the album from flowing as it should.

However, there are a few decent tracks on there. I have already said "Enemy" is my favourite, but I am also really digging "All That Remains" right now too. I do not think it is an album I will play very regularly in the future, and will probably stick to just the tracks I really like, but it cost cost me £5 and was a good way to get into a bit more of Fozzy's stuff before seeing them live.

Overall, I would give the album 6/10. There are not many songs I cannot listen to, but not many that will make more repeated listening, probably only 3 or 4 that will remain as regularly played songs on my ipod in the future.

In my opinion, Fozzy should stick to songs like "Enemy". They suit Jericho's voice, are more likely to get radio/tv play and sound brilliant live. The fans were absolutely going crazy for "Enemy" at the gig, and I believe that is where their future should lie.

LimpBizkit-GoldCobra.jpg

I know that isn't the official cover art for Gold Cobra but I prefer it to the one the band eventually chose.

Now I was a huge LB fan back in the day and liked them more than all over nu-metal/rapcore bands and was so disappointed when Wes left the band and they eventually broke up. When rumours started up about a possible reunion and new album I became a fan again. This is literally the first album I have counted the days until release and waited eagerly. I might be being bias here but I love it! Limp Bizkit have stuck to their nu-metal roots and refused to sell out to the new generation of music. Fred and the band don't care if this is the best or worst album ever, they made it to please the Limp Bizkit fans. The video for "Gold Cobra" is a big "fuck you" to the critics. I think Gold Cobra is my favourite single off the album so far but I have only listened to the album fully about 3-4 times.

[youtube]YKbsdMRqhcI[/youtube]

Another great track from the album is Shotgun. To quote Michael Cole, this track is "Vintage Limp Bizkit!"

[youtube]0yrSwskzLDs[/youtube]

One song, Loser, seems Fred mock singers who auto tune their voice. There is about a 30 second voice over of Fred singing and talking with his voice fully autotuned. He sings the chorus of Nookie and dedicates the next track to the singers who choose to autotune themselves instead of use raw talent. Really funny stuff.

I won't spoil much else but the iTunes bonus track of Los Angeles is kick ass! Fast tempo and awesome lyrics.

[youtube]cXMJvAXpFfM[/youtube]

A great album from the returning Limp Bizkit. I definitely recommend picking it up if you can!

Track Listing:

1. "Introbra" 1:20
2. "Bring It Back" 2:17
3. "Gold Cobra" 3:53
4. "Shark Attack" 3:26
5. "Get a Life" 4:54
6. "Shotgun" 4:32
7. "Douche Bag" 3:42
8. "Walking Away" 4:45
9. "Loser" 4:53
10. "Autotunage" 5:00
11. "90.2.10" 4:18
12. "Why Try" 2:51
13. "Killer in You" 3:46

51MnaHUq%2B9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Yeah I know, but I'm really not as ashamed as you'd think I would be. Last week I was playing Madden for like 8 hours straight at my homie's house and he put this album on his computer. I was quite skeptical at first and had no real interest in listening to a whole Lil Wayne album, EP or not. However, I was actually slightly impressed with the wordplay in this one. Every few minutes we would just bust up laughing do to some of the funny as shit he came up with. So when I got home, I downloaded it and for some reason I've been hooked on it. I'd give it a 3/5.

Here's a favorite of mine.

[YOUTUBE]nointUJ93aQ[/YOUTUBE]​

d07617688xq.jpg

Downward is Heavenward
by
Hum

I listened to this for the first time in a while yesterday, and it's still great. If you don't know Hum, and I think I can assume most don't, they were a great Shoegaze/Space-Rock band from Illinois. Unfortunately, this was their last album, but thankfully, it was also their best. These guys are masters of layering sounds, especially super-distorted guitars. My favorite songs would be "If You Are to Bloom" and "Apollo". I really can't think of a least favorite song. I highly recommend this to anyone who's interest has been even slightly piqued by it.

At the moment, I'm really into the self-titled album by a relatively unknown band from Canada called Reverie Sound Revue. The lead singer, Lisa Lobsinger, was the touring/session female voice for a band called Broken Social Scene (they did a lot of work for the Scott Pilgrim soundtrack), and now she's involved with the RSR project. Trouble is, all the members of this band live in seperate parts of Canada so they almost never play live, and this album took something like 5 years to get together. It's pretty short, but a wonderful addition to the smartrock/softpop genre.

My favorite song on the album is called "You Don't Exist If I Don't See You", but I opted to share my all-time, deal-breaker favorite song by them, "One Marathon". Enjoy.

[YOUTUBE]http://youtu.be/NOgqpN46x9w[/YOUTUBE]

As far as the album goes, I give it a solid 8.5/10. I would've given it a bigger score, had "One Marathon" made it on there, and had it not taken so goddamn long to release. Still a really big fan of their work.

I've come to the humble conclusion that this thread needs to be more active,so lets get the ball rolling again shall we?

2757-The-Black-Keys-El-Camino.jpg

This album was a complete impulse buy for me. I have heard of them off the radio and download a few of their better known songs. The ones I download I liked but I didn't like them enough to really explore their music library. So I went shopping about a week ago and I seen this CD on the shelf and though what the hell. I heard the first single a week prior and actually loved it so based on that I decided to buy the album and after the first full listen I was pleasantly surprised at the music contained within. Not really a bad song,they are all worth listening to over again. Though I like some more than others but overall the CD is topic quality music I don't see myself getting bored of anytime soon. A really enjoyable CD anyone who is a fan of music,regardless of genre should give this album a listen,good stuff.

[YOUTUBE]ogAfoYZJFug[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]0_JvY9xeVNM[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]MyJwxy4cSFY[/YOUTUBE]

Currently playing on my android when I walk home from work (and monday mornings) is the sound track to the Detroit Metal City movie, the movie itself is based on an anime and features Gene Simmons, its in japanese and its sort of tongue in cheek metal but i think its great

l_p1012427110.jpg

TrackList
01 - SATSUGAI
02 - SLASH KILLER
03 - GROTESQUE
04 - MESU Buta Koukyoukyoku
05 - DEATH PENIS
06 - Ano ko o RAPE
07 - MAD MONSTER
08 - Urami Harasa de Oku Beki ka
09 - Maoh
10 - F*CKINGHAM PALACE

I like listening to it because although its an ost for a movie based on an anime the songs are well done imo, plus track 10 pretty much sums up my feelings every monday morning

The content of the lyrics on track 10 are pretty much just the word f*ck over and over, like I said, tongue and cheek

l.jpg

About three months ago, I was simply searching for their acoustic EP on ITunes when I happened upon this album. i had heard the song "Shoot it Out" on the radio frequently on my way to or from work, and I thought it was a decent attempt at trying something different for the guys. But ultimately, I had forgot about the fact that most singles are accompanied by albums, at least until I stumbled on the CD in my search for other music by them. What I stumbled upon was probably my third favorite CD I bought in 2011, as the band keeps getting better with each effort.

[YOUTUBE]3VCvSJo-yC0[/YOUTUBE]

The song that got them back on my radar. Like I said, it's a bit of a departure from their normal stuff, as it's heavier and the vocals are amped up, with the lyrics more aggressive. Still, the overall idea that sacrificing one's values and integrity is something I can get behind in a major way.

[YOUTUBE]DCbkeUxkbYc[/YOUTUBE]

This is more of a typical 10 Years song, as they're very much an activist band. Not in the Rise Against sense, at least not to that degree. But both lyrically and musically, this song is what 10 Years is about. The song speaks of being fueled by confrontation of issues and not backing down from what they believe, whether right or wrong. That can be a dangerous mindset, grant it, but the idea here is that the guys are content that way, so don't try and change them.

[YOUTUBE]7h8sYNUrA1M [/YOUTUBE]

And this is the softer side of 10 Years, something you can darn well expect to see once or twice an album. It's a simple song about reconciliation, nothing more. The argument I always come across when in therapy with clients is "How much damage is too much" when deciding the fate of the relationship, and this song talks about that while asking to give it a second chance, despite understanding it won't be easy. There's such a sense of humbleness in the "Tell me what I Need to Do" part of the chorus that I'd love to see more from the clients I see!

Track Listing:

1. Shoot It Out
2. The Wicked Ones
3. Now is The Time
4. One More Day
5. Fix Me
6. Chasing The Rapture
7. Dead In The Water
8. Don't Fight It
9. Waking Up The Ghost
10. Fade Into The Ocean
11. I Blame You

Bottom Line: This isn't a flawless album, as this isn't an album I listen to without skipping one or two songs. But this is easily their best effort, and I'm glad I stumbled upon it. One More Day, Chasing The Rapture, and Waking Up The Ghost are all excellent songs as well that showcase the band's broad range, and this has become a "go to" album for me when I want something familiar and enjoyable. 8/10

The album I have been listening to lately is none other than....

Imaginaerum by Nightwish

nightwish-imaginaerum.jpg

This is an amazing cd. I've been listening to it in the car on the way to/from work and here at home in the apartment while I'm on the computer. While some fans still have negative things to say about the new singer, the album has been described as being "the real thing" while Dark Passion Play (their previous album, which myself and some others find to be their weakest effort) came off as more of a trial run with the new singer and their new sound. I find little to nothing wrong with it and every track is enjoyable. I'm also the proud owner of the special edition, which came with a second disc containing an instrumental version of the cd. The instrumental version alone is worth a listen because the tracks all sound fantastic without lyrics, some even sound better than their lyrical counterparts. I can't say the same for the overwhelming majority of the other albums I have listened to over the years.

Here are a couple of tracks I recommend....

[YOUTUBE]PJRBl6DhOcE[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]E3JPpIc8634&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]

Highly recommended to anyone.

1024887.jpg

Volbeat Beyond Hell Above Heaven

I honestly had to punch myself in the face for not discovering these guys a lot sooner.Volbeat is a Danish band and these guys are mostly hard rock but they mix a little of everything in their music. Ranging from country,metal down to punk, you name it. People can only describe this band by saying...its as if Elvis Presley and Johnny Cash had a lovechild who grew up listening to Metallica, and I find that really hard to dispute. Michael Poulsen, who is the lead singer has a very powerful voice that just echos throughout your speakers, it doesn't hurt that his voice has strikingly similar sound to Elvis. Its like asking the question...what if Elvis was still around and what if he had joined a metal band? Volbeat would be your answer.

Beyond Hell Above Heaven consists of 13 tracks. The album is amazing, if you like hard rock then look no further. The album hooks you right from the very start and shakes you to your very core all the way to the end. Its a pulse pounding ass kicking adrenaline ride that makes you beg the question,just how far can I take my speakers before they completely blow out because they simply cant handle this much greatness. Check out some samples below.

01. The Mirror And The Ripper
02. Heaven Nor Hell
03. Who They Are
04. Fallen
05. A Better Believer
06. 7 Shots
07. A New Day
08. 16 Dollars
09. A Warrior's Call
10. Magic Zone
11. Evelyn
12. Being 1
13. Thanks

A Warriors Call

[YOUTUBE]rSmtHBMjXLU[/YOUTUBE]

7 Shots

[YOUTUBE]1JS6Gq8smR0[/YOUTUBE]

Heaven Nor Hell

[YOUTUBE]vEN3mQ0ql30[/YOUTUBE]

61Nt%2BJd3opL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Dust Bowl by Joe Bonamassa

Now I have heard Bonamassa's name before (and its quite memorable) in blues circles and saw him on VOA in a studio session. The man certainly has some chops and is credited as such.

I ran into this album however, after I was on Ultimate-Guitar and he was feted by Gibson. So I downloaded this album and by god, it's killer.

If you're into electric blues rock, this is a stellar album and few songs just jump out as catchy as heck that are filled with fierce solos that make you wanna air guitar the shit outta the song.

[YOUTUBE]HJ8-3_0Epo4[/YOUTUBE]​

There is that tinge of desperation in the lyrics that Joe converts to his soloing so powerfully that it grips you by the hair and says 'I am hurt, hurt bad'. He is a little to loose with the sweep picking everywhere but here it makes most sense.

[YOUTUBE]3j-CbcYOgKs[/YOUTUBE]​

Again I think Joe excels in these slow tempoed songs. He gets a free leash to experiment rather than follow a set pattern in the 12 bar songs. Again the words are fluid and don't come off as dramatic which is always good.

If you are a fan of blues-rock, it's a definite listen people.

Paranoid by Black Sabbath

An oldie but started listening to it again. Fantastic album by one of the greatest bands ever. I think what makes it great is it's over 40 years old but it doesn't seem old to me and the album it double my age.

Favorite tracks would have to be in order:
War Pigs
Fairies Wear Boots
Paranoid
Ironman

I like the other tracks aswell but these are the four i listen to the most. It's actually quite amazing that the song Paranoid was just a fill in for the album and took 25 minutes to make and it would have to be one of, if not the most popular song made by them.

9.9/10

Shinedown - Amaryllis

This album just came out on 3/27 and I've listened to it now three times and it is a great album. Shinedown never seems to disappoint. The reason I like it is because they returned to their roots with the first album they made and went a lot harder. I also like the fact that this album has fast paced hard hitting songs with some 1 or 2 slow paced. Brent Smith can sing all kinds of songs and I'm glad he showcased it here.

My favorite songs:
Bully
Amaryllis
Unity
Miracle
I'll Follow You
For My Sake

Least Favorite:
I'm Not Alright
Nowhere Kids

I pretty much like all of their songs on that album except for those two which don't compare in comparison to the rest of their songs. I would rate this album a 8/10. Very strong album in my opinion.

Lillywhite Sessions by Dave Matthews Band.

My favorite bootleg ever. Such a dark, haunting album. I can see why the A&R guy for RCA never wanted it to be put out, but GOD DAMN is it amazing.

Flogging Molly - Speed of Darkness

Their newest release... I have only gotten through it a couple of times since I typically only listen to albums in the car... Definitely a new direction for them... I love the rest of their work...

Five Finger Death Punch - American Capitalist.

Say what you will but these guys get better with every album. Over hyped? Perhaps. Good musicians? Definitely. It is an album that deserves more than one listen to be judged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chrisxenforo
Back